Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

therapy
Jun 12, 2001

Living the dream

Brocktoon posted:

Howard's divorce/Jackie leaving

Absolutely not. The show was about 10 times better with Artie than with Jackie.

I think the show jumped the shark about the 3rd year of Sirius, when they got complacent and no longer attempted at trying to get good guests and Artie's heroin habit got way out of control.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therapy
Jun 12, 2001

Living the dream

AltronHGX posted:

I worry that later on this month we'll find out Richard quit his band to appease Howard. If that happens I'm unsubscribing from this thread and will be done with Howard. Richard is awesome and I'll be heartbroken if they drive him to do that for their approval :ohdear:

I doubt it'll happen - Richard is the most self-confident guy on the show, and I think that's what drives Howard nuts. He can make fun of his weird quirks like loving halloween, not showering, and wearing diapers to rock concerts, but at the end of the day Richard just laughs it off, goes home, fucks his woman and has a few beers, watches some movies and goes to sleep happy.

The dude is amazing - he is getting paid to make prank phone calls and play drums in a metal band - this is like the dream life for every midwestern teenager I grew up with.

therapy
Jun 12, 2001

Living the dream

InfiniteZero posted:

Howard pretty obviously also thinks he could be a rock star. In some of the older shows (I've only been listening since Sirius - maybe somebody can confirm this) it seems like he would often try to jam with guests on guitar. He's a horrible guitar player with a stunted sense of rhythm. Even worse is when he tries to sing, because he clearly can't properly hear the pitch of his own voice when he sings (this was horrible when he tried to sing a long with musical guests, but you can also hear it when he occasionally shows his cheesy radio DJ side by singing over top of songs when he cuts to the studio), because he's horrible at that too.

Considering these things, it makes perfect sense that he would be jealous about Richard who appears to be naturally talented and who actually understands the fundamentals (and more) of making music.

Also, just in a general sense Howard's career and personal growth has been plateaued for years now and Richard on the other hand has been on a steady upswing which has been even more dramatic lately with his weight loss and music.

You hit the nail on the head this time. In Howard's view, things come easy to Richard. Howard looks at him as some creepy backwoods redneck with weird hobbies, and a lot of that is true, but it does show how ridiculously sheltered Howard's life has been.

Remember a few years back when Ronnie got a new car and put a loud exhaust on it? Howard was dumbfounded. "Who would want to make a car louder?" he said. It was like he'd never heard of the muscle car industry or the entirety of people who buy anything with a V8 engine or larger. He's not a car guy - fine. But you'd think at least he would understand that some people ARE car guys.

But that's one of his weaknesses. Richard's life is confusing to Howard because Richard didn't live the crazy OCD sheltered life that Howard did, and yet he's more attractive and happier than Howard. And that kills Howard because in his mind he's got everything he ever wanted: a hot blonde wife, bajillions of dollars, and the ability to make his own schedule.

Your rock star thing is right on, too. Howard is deluding himself when he says he could host a game show, too. Can you imagine how lovely Deal or No Deal would have been with Howard as the host? I mean, it sucks rear end now. With Howard, it'd be like a running joke.

therapy
Jun 12, 2001

Living the dream

Kelly posted:

Hey maybe you guys can start your own Bubba thread? (I tried to be funny and say that in Bubba speak and realized I had no idea how to.)

I am in full support of this. I don't want to hear about the Bubba show unless it's in reference to something Howard has to do with it.

therapy
Jun 12, 2001

Living the dream

Kelly posted:

And you know, outside of my family and a couple of friends, Howard is my longest relationship. I'm 35 and have been listening regularly since I was 19 or 20. So gently caress yeah I am going to take the show a bit personally.

That's pretty hosed up.

therapy
Jun 12, 2001

Living the dream

Vakal posted:

I think Maryann's voice just goes like that when she gets excited that she's on the air and starts yelling.

I remember watching a Howard tv segment that she was backstage at where someone was hitting on her. She thanked them in a very quiet, bashful voice and it was kind of cute.

When she's excited? Dude I think you broke my dick. I can't imagine how awful it would be to hear that voice in the middle of sex. "Oh my GAWDDDDD"

therapy
Jun 12, 2001

Living the dream

Millstone posted:

that's great but nobody cares what therapy from the internet thinks

Yes and we all wait with baited breath for your opinion.

My point is that there are two completely different shows that have absolutely no correlation any longer unless Bubba is back on H101 in the future. The only reason Bubba was even in the old thread was because it was a catch-all H100/H101 thread. This is the Howard Stern Show Megathread. Not H100/H101.

If people want to talk about Bubba or Ferrell they should have their own threads.

Different shows on the same network have their own threads, I don't know why different radio shows that happen to be on the same channel don't have their own.

therapy
Jun 12, 2001

Living the dream

Millstone posted:

Right but Ferrall kind of wears you out within 1 minute of listening to him. He sounds like a lawnmower, has music blaring in the background, god knows what is going on :psyduck:

Hahaha he totally does sound like a lawnmower. And for the longest time I couldn't tell if his catch phrase was "Check it out" or "Shake it up". The best part about Ferrall's show is that Sour Shoes sounds exactly like him but can't keep it up for very long because it's loving exhausting apparently.

therapy
Jun 12, 2001

Living the dream
Well, the monitor in the picture isn't a touch screen monitor, so unless it's mirroring another monitor somewhere else that IS touch screen, I'd say they're using the mouse.

It's a functional thing but not exactly pretty. It does make stuff easy to find. "Gary Preview page 1 in red" or "JD page 4 in green" or whatever would be easy to find with the combination of drop-downs and large, easily-read buttons.

My guess is that they're so big because everyone on the show is over 50 and has problems reading up close.

therapy
Jun 12, 2001

Living the dream

Sock The Great posted:

Where does one even get a cat kidney?

They put cats to sleep at the human society all the time. An endless supply.

therapy
Jun 12, 2001

Living the dream

Burden posted:

I think my new favorite part of the show is when the gang talks about technology. I just start dying with everyone trying to explain what everything is. "Sent from my honeycomb." Playbook, tethering, and tablets. I just crack up everytime.

The worst part is that they have about a 10-20% understanding of everything and they think it's like a 50-70% understanding. And Robin thinks she understands it 150% and tries to explain it, and nobody can call her out anymore.

Just once, I'd like to see JD or somebody come into the room and go "Look, Robin, you're loving out of your mind. Android is an OS, not a phone. There are like fifty loving Android-based phones."

Then she'll say "I was just about to say - aren't there like a bunch of phones? Like the Droid X and the Droid 2 and Droid Galaxy or something?"

And then, in my fantasy, she's beheaded by a loose microphone boom.

therapy
Jun 12, 2001

Living the dream

Bonzo posted:

What's funny is that he always goes on about how he tips 100% of the bill when he eats out because he knows if he doesn't people will label him as a jerk and a cheapskate.

Oh and the reason he had someone come to the house to clip his nails? Beth started doing it for him but was soon disgusted by it.

Didn't he also say that the reason he doesn't do it himself is because he's disgusted by it himself?

therapy
Jun 12, 2001

Living the dream

burmart posted:

I think his daughters actually do, like, good works. Like with homeless people or retarded people or something.

A lot of rich people's kids end up doing stuff like this. Don't get me wrong, it's great that they're volunteering their time, but they're not doing it exclusively out of good will.

It's the same reason a lot of trophy wives (like Beth) get "causes" (like North Shore Animal League).

They can't handle not being successful in some way - they're embarrassed by their uselessness to society, especially in comparison to their wealthy, famous, talented parent/spouse. So they start volunteering for some cause or other in order to have something to talk about at society parties and such. "Oh, I used to do a bit of modeling/acting, but recently I've been so busy with the Cancer Initiative/North Shore Animal League/Poor Underprivileged Midgets..."

therapy
Jun 12, 2001

Living the dream

picosecond posted:

I think you're forgetting Howard's age and environment. He was born in the 50s and would have been taught the standard beliefs about black people that a white guy from the 50s would've had -- even if he's tried to grow past it, some of it will linger. He also came of age during the 60s, the time of black nationalism and white flight -- and growing up in New York means he was in an epicenter for a lot of that. I'm not going to apologize for him, but given that upbringing you can't expect him to be Mr. Enlightened. He's still got his moments, but he's light years ahead of the horrible racial caricatures that he considered "edgy" back in like 1988.

I don't think he's a racist, but he's definitely got serious issues with inadequacy. This might be the root of his success AND his neuroses.

therapy
Jun 12, 2001

Living the dream

Streebs posted:

Wow I feel bad for Robin, her hair is a mess

At this point she should shave her head and be one of those fashionable confident black women who run around bald.

therapy
Jun 12, 2001

Living the dream

Moniker posted:

I love that after all this, she's still fat.

We know she's sneaking cheeseburgers and fries when nobody's around.

She's an unhappy person who strives to make people look up to her for some reason - but at night, in that giant apartment, alone - she looks at the giant painting of herself, her two cats, and her hollow, useless life, and she sits down with a pint of Ben & Jerry's and watches Russel Crowe movies over and over again to soothe that deep, dark ache.

therapy
Jun 12, 2001

Living the dream

mike_348 posted:

Robin telling Howard not to have a smoothie for lunch, great advice.

"Fruit? That's just SUGAR!"

Yes, there is no difference between eating a piece of fruit or eating a piece of chocolate caramel, Robin. It's exactly the same.

It's mind-numbing.

therapy
Jun 12, 2001

Living the dream

Shes Not Impressed posted:

He said a few times they get into the moment and he doesn't bother, but overall it freaks him out.

Now Ronnie on the other hand...

Beth is pushing 40 now, and as you get to that age your risk of birth defects during pregnancy skyrockets, especially stuff like Down Syndrome. A friend of mine said the best thing that could happen to the show is for Beth to get pregnant with a Down's baby and Howard has to raise it for the next 18 years.

therapy
Jun 12, 2001

Living the dream
All these people arguing over who's a "true" fan or not are the most retarded fans ever. I like who I like - it shouldn't matter if I grew up there.

Think about how loving arbitrary that is - you pick the team that happened to be closest to you geographically and somehow, that team is superior to other teams in your head. Who gives a poo poo if I like or don't like a team because I grew up liking them? It's all about personal connection poo poo.

I have a soft spot in my heart for the Colorado Rockies because of my dad. He's always been a huge baseball fan, and we lived in Colorado when they started the team in the early 90s. We went opening weekend, and every year we lived there we'd go to a few games and sit in the cheap seats. I'm not a fan, really, according to your definition, but I'd root for them over a team I have no connection to at all.

I hate the Cowboys because I think it's egotistical to call yourself "America's Team" and Jerry Jones is the NFL's equivalent of George Steinbrenner. That's it. Nothing against most of the players (Michael Irvin excepted) or any of the coaches.

Sports fans can be sports fans however they want - you don't need a photographic memory of who played 2nd base for the Tigers in 1979 to call yourself a baseball fan, just like you don't need to know the names of every actor in a movie to enjoy it.

Let people enjoy poo poo whether or not they have as deep a "dedication" to it as you do.

This is admittedly hypocritical of me because I can't stand listening to technology discussions on the show because nobody knows anything and they all claim to be some kind of expert.

therapy
Jun 12, 2001

Living the dream

Mr Lance Murdock posted:

It wouldnt surprise me. Its also worse around holidays because you get the advertisers gift push.
Seriously, who is sending Vermont teddy bears for valentines?

Sirius/XM is making the calls on people who haven't paid - a friend of mine just got a call from XM saying that he owes them over $300 for payments on a radio he hasn't owned in three years. He told them he wouldn't pay the $300 as he didn't own the stereo any more, but he'd gladly re-up his yearly subscription for the XM radio he DID have installed in his car.

Two hours later his current XM radio got disconnected.

therapy
Jun 12, 2001

Living the dream
As a side note, I just talked to this friend. Apparently I misunderstood.

They turned off his current radio, and then he called back and they said what had happened was the sales rep had accidentally disabled the new radio instead of the old one. They turned on the new one and gave him a full year for $59. Not bad, $5/month.

therapy
Jun 12, 2001

Living the dream
Howard's got a weird compass to who's relevant and who's not, but passing on Kevin Smith for Jim Breuer only makes sense because Jim Breuer was booked first and is a "friend of the show" type of guest.

Smith really hasn't made any good movies since Chasing Amy, in my opinion. And even that was a 7/10 type of movie. He's a clever guy, and funny, and a good guest on shows, but like somebody said before, he's not really relevant to you if you don't like comic books or his movies. And he doesn't make big movies.

That being said, Howard's justification of not asking certain guests always makes me laugh. He passes on people who are legitimate celebrities with interesting stories for Kathy loving Griffin.

therapy
Jun 12, 2001

Living the dream

hunter x az posted:

Like most other rappers are better with their lyrics?

I mean, yeah, the guy is a dipshit but pretty much every rapper on earth says retarded poo poo just to fit in a rhyme when possible.

I'm guessing you're no fan of hip hop?

therapy
Jun 12, 2001

Living the dream

Millstone posted:

His flow isn't that bad, I dunno I didn't think it was all that terrible. Of course I'm discounting the fact he's unabashedly from the suburbs, rich by proxy, and talks like a wigger in the intro.

No, I hate Chet Haze and he sucks. But there are good rappers out there, and I was responding to the suggestion that Chet's is no worse than anybody else. It is.

therapy
Jun 12, 2001

Living the dream

chiz posted:

A condition of his contract to tweet?

makes sense

I doubt it. If anything he probably has a condition to fulfill a certain number of promotional spots in a specific time period (hence the talk show circuit he just completed) but I doubt they require him to tweet.

therapy
Jun 12, 2001

Living the dream

I read some kind of expose about him once, how after he started getting to be on the Stern show he would get tons of business, and then I guess he would just completely gently caress those people by overcharging them for unbelievable hours. One of them was like getting billed for 150 hours in 4 days to help a guy beat a DUI charge or something. Apparently Barbara claimed that he had 4 lawyers working on it all week long, and then when they went to court the guy got the full punishment because his lawyer didn't even show up. $300-$400 per billable hour, 150 hours, you do the math on that.

I'm trying remember where I read it, I can't find the website now.

therapy
Jun 12, 2001

Living the dream

Glumwheels posted:

It's $200 a year for XM and the best of Sirius. My radio is my car stock radio and it's only 4 years old. It would be cheaper for me if I keep it another 5+ years. I'm just not sure if the company will be around another 4-5 years.

I wouldn't buy the entire company for $800, let alone spend that on a subscription, but you might be a lot richer than I am, so maybe $800 isn't that much to you.

$200/year is still what, like $17/month? That's ridiculous. If you called in and threatened to cancel they'd definitely give it to you for half that, at least.

therapy
Jun 12, 2001

Living the dream

Ether Frenzy posted:

How long does it take on the phone loving around jumping through hoops and cajoling customer service people to save that $100?

Took me less than 15 minutes during my drive to work.

Maybe it's not worth it to you, but if I can save $100 in 15 minutes I'll do it every loving time.

therapy
Jun 12, 2001

Living the dream

dyn posted:

I'll have to disagree with Howard's ragging on Richard's choice of wedding date. Who cares when the couple pick their date really? Don't be such an ungrateful dick. Go to their wedding as a friend and support the man. Howard is totally in the wrong and being a complete douche.

Getting married in the summer is far more common than getting married any other time. loving every weekend in June is booked up at just about any site worth going to.

therapy
Jun 12, 2001

Living the dream
It's fairly obvious that Howard's voice is deeper now than it used to be. Whether that's intentionally done through modulation or whether his voice is just deeper because he's older, nobody knows.

My gut feel on it is that he's doing it intentionally through the console somehow, because when you see him on talk shows and such his voice is much higher. Check the youtube videos from Letterman or Piers Morgan, then close your eyes. He sounds significantly different.

therapy
Jun 12, 2001

Living the dream

Bonzo posted:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/robin-quivers/the-real-black-history_b_830749.html?ir=Yahoo

Ok Robin. All white people can trace their ancestry back to 12th century England right?

Yeah, sorry, but you're way the gently caress off on this one. I hate Robin as much as anybody but that article was actually entirely correct.

I'm able to say I'm Greek, my wife is Irish and Mexican. My sister's girlfriend is Jewish and Dutch. My cousin married a guy whose family is from Wales a few hundred years back on his dad's side, and his mom is Chinese.

It's entirely accurate, as a black person in the US, to say you won't be able to trace any of that back. She can't tell you if her great grandfather came from what's now Sierra Leone, Ghana, Liberia, or Mauritania or wherever. Nobody will ever know.

Does that matter to you? Maybe not. Maybe you don't care about looking into your ancestry and finding out that your great great Grandfather fought in the Civil war or whatever the gently caress. But the point is, most of us have the option to do it. Black Americans typically don't.

therapy
Jun 12, 2001

Living the dream

Bonzo posted:

So yes I understand it being an issue wtih black people in the US, but it's also an issue with every race. Not everyone came over here on the Mayflower and were given farmland. Blacks while getting the short end of the stick, were not he only race brought over for slave labor either.

It's a really stupid argument we're having, so I'd rather not get too far into it, but aside from maybe Native Americans, just about no other race has as much legitimate beef with the way Americans have treated them as Black people. I mean, yeah, Irish were indentured servants and Hungarians were forced to work in coal mines and such, but they still generally weren't considered "property" like animals.

therapy
Jun 12, 2001

Living the dream

pkd88 posted:

I think all but one of us know who is right, right?

T-O-P-L-E-S-S

therapy
Jun 12, 2001

Living the dream

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

Why bother bringing me into this? What Sirius is doing is basic corporate lying. Throw some numbers and attach an overly simple explanation to them that hides the complex truth. Besides, this goes beyond Howard and goes into Sirius as a company.

For once you're 100% right. Every corporation fudges the numbers, and I'm sure Sirius's numbers are the best possible scenario.

1) Counting all car subscriptions.
2) Counting all subscriptions that haven't been disabled. (which would explain why my radio worked for 3 years after I called to cancel)
3) Counting all radios on the account as multiple subscribers

etc...

therapy
Jun 12, 2001

Living the dream

AxeManiac posted:

He is also insane, in a shrink's three times a week and a bag of neurosis.

Yeah, the fact that Howard doesn't really understand how popular "Always Sunny" is doesn't surprise me.

I mean this is a guy who jerks off in the dark because he's worried about hidden cameras in his multi-million-dollar apartment in New York City, for gently caress's sake.

therapy
Jun 12, 2001

Living the dream

FogHelmut posted:

Considering the amount of hassle he went through, the price he paid, and the people he hired to install his television set, I wouldn't be surprised if a few hidden cameras got installed along with it.

Are you kidding me? If I got paid $9000 or whatever to install a TV in the bathroom I'd loving rip every hidden camera out of that house bare-handed and manually extract each bedbug from the mattress with tweezers.

therapy
Jun 12, 2001

Living the dream

Glumwheels posted:

It would be a really good show if Ralph, John Hein, and Gary had absolutely nothing to do with it. All 3 of them are morons and know jack poo poo about computers, gadgets, software, etc. The sickening thing is Howard seems to think they're geniuses ugh.

I know this isn't uncommon, but I think Ralph is the worst. An unapologetic apple fanatic without a single solid reason for why they do the things they do. He can't explain what the difference between 3G and 4G is, doesn't understand that the iPhone 4 is a 3G device, etc. He's painful to listen to when pressed on any issue, really. The worst part is, he's incapable of saying "I don't know." to anybody who asks him a question.

therapy
Jun 12, 2001

Living the dream
I'm going to make up a rumor that Seth turned Howard down when it came to making "Howard Stern: The High School Years" cartoon, and ever since Howard has pretended that he has no idea who Seth is.

therapy
Jun 12, 2001

Living the dream

Glumwheels posted:

Howard's hippy cousins need to stfu. They're just as stupid as Robin.

They're just blatantly in it for money - they don't believe any of this stuff. There are tons of people like this. They poorly understand science, they make an outrageous claim based on spurious logic like "If you keep your microwave oven too close to your pantry, the radiation from it will make your food radioactive!" and then they come up with a solution to that "problem" that they sell to people.

It's like the first rule of snake-oil salesmanship.

1. Identify a "problem"
2. Define a solution (need not actually work)
3. Convince people they have the problem
4. Sell them your solution
5. Profit

(I know there's no ??? phase, that phase is for actual products)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therapy
Jun 12, 2001

Living the dream
Artie was a fantastic addition to the show and made it listenable for me. I can barely stand it anymore, and aside from a few moments now and then, I think the show is just about done for.

Everything has a life cycle and Howard knows he's on the way out - he's not as relevant as he once was, unfortunately. Moving to Sirius gave him a ton of freedom and the first few years there were amazing, but I think that after a while, the guests began to dry up as publicists looked at Sirius bookings as low return on investment. You have X hours, and Howard Stern has, at most, 1/10th the reach he used to have (more realistically 1/20th or lower). He's aging along with his fanbase - which used to be, say, 15 to 50 year olds, and now has got to be 24 to 60 year olds. Can you imagine a modern-day 15 year old listening to Howard's show today? What the hell would he find interesting? Richard and Sal, that's probably it.

Anyway, it's depressing and kind of sad, and I still listen when something interesting happens, but mostly when I listen to the show I feel the same way I do when I go back to the town where I grew up and talk to my high school buddies. It's fun, kind of familiar, but a lot of them are doing the same kind of thing they've always done, and are content working at the same place they've worked since then, even though it's been 15 years. When one of the smartest guys you knew in high school tells you he's excited because the Barnes & Noble where he works just promoted him and he makes $48K/year now, you feel kind of good for him but sad at the same time. So much potential wasted.

Oh well, the Howard Stern show was legendary, it changed the face of radio, and even in its current form it's better than just about any other radio show on the planet, but it's hard to compare it to the heydays of the 90s/early 2000s.