Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
I like how someone must have tweeted him saying that there are alternatives out there for getting Flash content (at least music and videos, notsomuch flash games/apps), even if it doesn't have an iOS-compatible version, such as Skyfire, which was huge news when it came out.

He just tweeted back, "Don't think so. If there was, it would be major geek news!" I mean, I don't give a poo poo about nor expect most people knowing about every app out there, but it's so silly that he's obviously way uneducated about technology in general yet considers himself a gadget guy and a "geek," too, apparently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.

Thanks for posting it. I'm way behind on the show but goddamn I laughed pretty hard at a lot of this.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
That's really weird, cause I came here to post a screencap of Robin's hair from Vegucating Robin and it turns out someone beat me to the punch. Oh well, I'll attach what I had anyways, may take a moment for it to appear thanks to the weirdo attachments on SA.

Ugh.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Add me in as another one who thought the Letterman appearance was actually pretty good, if Howard was like that on his show these days I'd have a lot less to complain about. (But, come on, I'd still complain, it's what we do)

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
I got Robin to reply to me once about how medicine is poison, and for that I'll always follow her.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.

Chimneyfish posted:

Sal is the worst type of person when it comes to sports; the guy who never watches them or has a favorite team, yet always talks tons of poo poo whenever somebody else's team loses. The guy who never makes any kind of prediction about the outcome of any event but loves to gloat whenever somebody else loses a bet, as if he had picked the game correctly. I realize that Sal busts balls for a living, but there's really a person like this at every workplace.

Sure is a big surprise that a guy with a SPORTS avatar would have this opinion!

Sal owns, his tweets yesterday during the superbowl were hilarious and if you really give a poo poo about sports so much that you get offended that some guy who doesn't care makes fun of you when your team loses, welp, I don't know what to say.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
The way he types and misspells thing seems to strike me as making it very genuine. Of course perhaps a well-paid professional ghost-tweeter could emulate those things just to convince people like me?? :tinfoil:

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Sorry guys, as a person who has watched and been a fan of a lot of Kevin Smith's stuff, he's not really popular or relevant outside of nerdland. I can understand being disappointed that Howard didn't choose to interview him but acting like he is really relevant or something to a large group of people is an act of delusion.

I hate Joan Rivers but she is probably more relevant to the majority of people than Kevin "Huge Cargo Jorts" Smith.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Honestly, I'm surprised that all these "Sirius subscriber number" posts aren't coming from the Mad Doctor. Sirius is indeed a poo poo company but I really don't find it hard to believe that there are 20 million active subscribers, especially including people who are getting it free in their car or just otherwise somehow got a special/cheap deal when threatening to cancel, etc.

I mean, I'm sure they're fudging the numbers in pretty much any way possible, but wouldn't there have been a shareholder at some point that figured out the insidious plot of "no, it's the total number we've ever had!" or something? I think it's much more likely that they include all the free/super-discounted stuff as "active" as well, along with probably something like AxeManiac said, where they count each account as a family unit where there are actually 2+ people listening or something.

Anyway, who gives a poo poo who gives a gently caress, etc etc. but just my random internet opinion on it, I don't think it's any more or less valid than some information some guy apparently got from a drunk person or something :shobon:

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Since when have you ever been bothered by being associated with stuff? You're just this thread's goto person for conspiracy-ish theories :)

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
I can't believe you'd be somehow angered that a company would give preferential treatment to a celebrity. It isn't federal funding or something, it's a piece of consumer electronics.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
What did the tapes have to do with him watching Seinfeld? I've heard that incident rehashed and replayed (wasn't a Stern fan back when it actually happened) and I never got the vibe that they were his personal tapes that he recorded off of TV or something. It actually sounded like he pulled some network strings somewhere and was able to obtain a bunch of tapes from them.

I'm not saying you're wrong but he definitely seems like a person who knows very little about Seinfeld, although obviously he has seen it before. He just didn't seem like a big fan or a big watcher of it.

As far as I remember, I think it's specifically the Simpsons that he claims to have never watched a single episode of, which yeah, is probably BS too.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
I'm way behind on the show so I have no idea what howard is talking about but I think I'm adequately well-versed in all the lame twitter stuff.

To reply to someone, you usually start the tweet off with "@[username] message"... when you do this, the person receives a notification that you "@replied" them and they can see it. However, this message isn't usually sent out publicly to your timeline, it only appears in the person you @replied's timeline, or if someone else follows both you and the person you @replied, they will also see it.

retweeting got started by most people just typing "RT @[username] [original message]", in this case since there is something infront of the username, it will be broadcast to your public timeline. This also gives you an opportunity to add a comment in front of it, like you could say "Great idea! RT @blahblah..."

Then twitter added an "official" RT feature, where it automatically would re-broadcast the original person's tweet to all your followers if you clicked it, however it wouldn't show up as "from" you (it shows up as from the original person) and you have no chance to add any comments or anything like that.

So now there's usually a distinction between "RT" and "RT with comment," which is what Howard complained about having them add to the official app and they finally did--for a while Twitter seemed to be promoting only their official solution but I guess they've changed their minds.

The RT with comment is what Howard is talking about. an @reply won't be broadcast to everyone you follow, so not everyone gets to see your awesome witty reply, only the person you are replying to. On the other hand, if you use the RT with comment, everyone gets to see it, and also it should provide some context as to you what you're replying to because it contains the original message you're responding to.

Christ, I think I may have just made it more confusing. Either way I can't believe I wrote that much about twitter.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Please share some of your PUA success stories :cool:

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
The takedown notice says that it is the Youtube account itself, not this specific video, which HBO flagged as infringing. So I dunno what that person had uploaded other than this, but I'd guess that's the reason, not this obvious cell phone video.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.

Shes Not Impressed posted:

The Nick and Artie show really is great to listen to. Nick may have some real stupid political views and poo poo, but he pulls out some hilarious one liners.

Next time I'm in AC I'll be looking for white lobsters.

Yeah, I've been feeling the same way. I officially stopped listening to the Stern Show a few months ago when it just wasn't even good background fodder anymore. Sadly it kind of left me without any sort of non-music thing to listen to in those times where I just don't want to listen to music.

I'm not into sports at all, but the Nick and Artie show has been really funny and even they admit it's hardly about sports at all. I doubt I will ever listen to it religiously like I did with Howard, but it's great to just pop on for an hour or whatever if I feel like listening to some talk radio.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
There have been a few cases where they were messed up or incomplete. I think way back at the beginning there was some sort of glitch where like the show itself when it was being broadcast live messed up, and so the "hour 3" or something was like 6 minutes long. But there have been other times where it's just not perfect and I recall that there was one show that was missing a certain hour forever, I eventually gave up on them adding it and just moved on.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
I haven't listened to the show in a long while but she pretty much admitted as much once, saying something like Western medicine was better in emergency situations or something and she would still embrace it if she needed it, but that the alternative stuff was just better at promoting overall "wellness" or some hogwash.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.

Qaz Kwaz posted:

You're wrong. The word "staff" is singular--you said it yourself: "a staff".

I don't listen to the show anymore so I have no idea what Ether Frenzy is talking about specifically, but it's quite acceptable usage in British English to use collective singular nouns with plural verbs, i.e. "The team were losing the race." Being American and all, it irks me too, singular nouns should go with singular verbs even if the noun is collective, but yeah, it's not exactly unheard of. That being said, if it's something involving Richard, I'm pretty sure Kansas is not a part of the British Empire, so he would pretty much be incorrect if he said "the staff were." It's such a minor mistake to make, though.

The word "parents," though, is definitely not a collective noun, it's just the plural form of parent, so I'm not sure what's up with that example.

edit: haha, I was editing in something about that while you must have been replying.

POCKET CHOMP fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Nov 15, 2012

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Listening to a random clip from the end of the terrestrial days, where they discuss salaries, Artie and Gary make the "revelation" that offers were made to them to start up their own show in LA.

Someone brought up the Staff Revelations game that they were saving up for once they got to Sirius. A caller or somebody mentioned, "Wow, how can anyone top what Artie already revealed today?" and Howard confidently brought up how he had already told Will his revelation and that he definitely had that beat. It sounded mighty enticing at the time, but having the knowledge now of his lovely revelation, I just had to laugh so hard.

Robin getting super pissed off at Howard's revelation the whole time (before they even revealed it) is one of the greatest parts of that whole saga.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Because like you said, he prides himself in not doing it. Some people, Howard included, consider it tacky and I gotta give him credit for not just taking the easy route and making a few extra million dollars when he's already got more money than he could ever possibly need.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
I don't really mind $7 a month, I'd try it out for a month or two just to see how it is. I have lots of podcasts I like but nothing ever quite filled that niche that Howard did. Daily show where people just talk about stuff in a funny way, y'know.

But I'm not so sure I trust Artie's janky site, has anyone here actually subscribed? I'm wondering what it's like after you subscribe, especially if I'll be able to hook it into my podcast app, which is kind of hit-or-miss with paid podcasts.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
The funniest thing was when I used to follow Gilbert on Twitter, it was obvious his kids would get ahold of his phone sometimes and post a bunch of weird things on Twitter when their game/app asked them to share it. The king of the Aristocrats joke is posting cute little Talking Tom clips or Temple Run high scores, it was excellent.

Either that or Gilbert really likes lovely iPhone apps for kids.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
I ended up subscribing to Artie's podcast as well, and to answer my own question that I posted here, there is a feed that allows you to add it to Podcast apps. I kind of figured there would be, but since it's password protected, you never know how well that's gonna work out. I did have to do some finagling to get it to work with my podcast app, Overcast, which is notoriously finicky with passworded podcasts. So if anyone else out there is on the fence, there's that piece of information.

I like it so far. It's not Howard but the daily aspect of it and just Artie telling random stories and talking about current events is fun enough to me. Yes, there's sports talk still mixed in, and I just kind of tune a lot of it out, but I guess since I do actually like football it's not too annoying to me. Once baseball starts up if he gets really crazy about Yankees and stuff I may have to reconsider that subscription but so far so good.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Yeah there's no way he keeps it up for that long I suppose :sigh:

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
There's no "Artie Lange Podcast" app, but there are myriad podcast apps out there that will automatically download them and keep them on your phone. Some of them can even offer you more playback options (computer/browser) and an ability to sync it all.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
I thought today with Kamal from the Jerky Boys and Bob Levy was the best show yet. It was nearly two hours of Artie basically just ripping on Kamal for being unfunny.

The only thing I kind of dislike is that within the last few shows someone is trying to be Fred and playing sound clips/effects, but basically they have like three drops, and the first day or two they were just pounding a clip of Joe Namath saying "YEAH!" over and over and over and over. They toned it back a bit today, fortunately.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Within about half a second of clicking, it's obvious that it's just some random dude uploading full episodes (illegally, obviously).

The ads don't mean it's legit, it just means the guy uploading them is kind of being a dick by trying to profit off it as well.

Don't get me wrong, I listen to "illegal" clips of the shows all the time on Youtube, but most guys are obviously doing it just for the sake of having it online, not filling it with ads to make a buck or two. I can deal with the occasional ad at the beginning but a particular few uploaders suck and have it so that there's an ad every 15 minutes or whatever. I remember one guy was even re-uploading other people's clip packs and then going super aggressive with the ads and even copying the name verbatim so that you'd accidentally click on them.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Yeah, that's one part that would make me call bullshit on Sam's story if I were Artie (and this is all true). Sam doesn't need to be trying to secure funding for a short film or whatever. But the whole story is kind of fishy without hearing Sam's side of it and/or seeing the script itself.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Holy poo poo.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Artie had stuttering John on today. I haven't listened to it much, yet. I only started listening in the Sirius days so I don't know much about John but it seems relevant to this thread :shobon:

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
As an actual subscriber, I can say this isn't even the first time he has been like this. Last Friday, they recorded for 4 hours (rather than the regular 2ish) to make it a double show since he'd be traveling Monday. By the end of the show, he was in the exact same dark loving place, it was entertaining, but awkward as hell with his co-hosts alternating between the same forced laughs that Dan did on yesterday's show and just complete silence. It has certainly been a theme of Artie's lately.

If you want to be optimistic, it does seem correlated with being on the road, he doesn't really seem like he wants to be there. But yeah, the realist in everyone has to pretty much notice the sudden mood swing and assume the obvious.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
The regulars are Chris Cotton and Joe Matarese, comedian co-hosts, Dan Falato who I guess would be the producer, and James Flippin who is the board-op and sound engineer. For the co-hosts Artie has stated before that they don't really get paid, it's mostly a promotional tool for them as comedians or whatever. For Dan and Flippin I'd assume they get paid, but then again Dan now lives with Artie so who knows what the arrangement is there.

edit: the reason the show posted sounds so lonely is as I mentioned, he's currently on the road for the next two weeks, so it's just Artie and Dan.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
What the hell is Sal even wearing in this video? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fkvmdFyfeQ

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
And then Howard pipes in with his own HPM voice and says something like, "Girls, date me, at least I have a mom." and I laugh every time. That 7+ hour HPM/Artie Saga pack is one of the best things ever, there's no bad part of it.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.

MrMidnight posted:

What item should Fred have not put up for sell on Tradio?

Wasn't it an antique sewing machine?

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
He is dead. :(

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
EtM stuff gets so boring once Johnny Fratto got involved. Such a bummer.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Just wait until you get to the part where Joe has pretty much hosed off from the show because Artie wasn't paying them anything and it was costing him $40+ a day just in transportation to Artie's home to do the show. But he got plugs!

He's been pretty much replaced by Sue Costello. I can't stand her, my brain tries as hard as possible to just skip over everything she says which is a lot of new-age positivity bullshit. "Hey Artie, it's interesting, I actually talk about this a lot in my one-woman play. That's right, it's a play, not a show, because...:words:"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
I have a real love/hate thing with this thread, where I have a whole day of productivity planned out but instead someone links or mentions a good bit and I end up just zoning out listening to the whole thing on Youtube.