Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise
You forgot to add the best wackpacker, Beetlejuice. Although maybe you did it on purpose since he seems to have disappeared off the show. So sad. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise

ChubbyEmoBabe posted:

That Jack&Rod bit yesterday (the riddles) is probably my favorite of all time. I was thinking "there is no way this is real" the whole time while I was in tears:

http://www.queenoftrivia.com/contact.htm

Awesome. Sal and Richard really make my day when I am bored as gently caress of listening to gay ice skaters and producers ramble on.

I think most if not all of the Jack and Rod bits are fake, right? I know I've heard the same "guests" voices on other calls.

But fake or not, the cancer kazoo Jack and Rod is hilarious and is the best one.

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise
My basis for thinking they're fake is that it just seems like they use the same people for multiple calls. The cancer kazoo jack & rod and the call to the asian clock lady for example really sounds like the same lady. There are other examples that I cant think of right now. It's certainly not hard evidence, it just raises suspiscion.

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise
I'd love a Sal and Richard show but I dont know what they'd talk about in the long run. Richard would probably end up talking about Halloween or his band which would get boring, and Sal would overdo it with sound effects.

There would probably also be the inevitable fuckup that pisses Howard off which would be good for a while. Like Sal jerking off in Howard's chair or something.

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise
Howard and Robin a) didnt know that people tailgated at sporting events until recently, and b) dont understand why people do it. How is Artie worse than that?

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise

Smeep posted:

I think we can all agree that anyone who is or has ever been on the show is a loving mess of a human.

Not George Takei. He is the best human.

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise
I'd be a regular listener to a daily Artie Lange sports show. gently caress, that would be amazing. He could even "borrow" some bits from the Stern show like him making football picks against the wack pack, even if just to see if Howard bitches about it.

I hope he's been as sober and mentally healthy as he looks. He's such a talent.

The eventual tell-all book about what led up to his release from the show, the suicide attempt, and exactly what the gently caress he's been doing the past year and a half will be amazing.

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise

Ether Frenzy posted:

Artie's rubbish at sports knowledge except for making grand sweeping statements in a comedic fashion. He knows some baseball stats by rote, but he doesn't know anything about the NFL beyond NY teams and only then in years they were successful, and I don't think he has any NBA interests whatsoever. I mean, he knows more than Howard, but that's not saying much.

I was listening to the 02/27/07 show this week and in it he claims that Rae Carruth was a DB, he's unsure what team Pacman Jones played for when he had his "Making it Rain" shootout but decided he was a DL player until Gary corrected him, and then he states that Dwayne Wade is "The next Magic Johnson or something".

But that's just part of what makes him such a cuddly muffin. He doesnt have to be right about everything if he's funny. Besides, a clean and sober Artie could probably be better and more motivated to focus on current sports events than heroin junkie Artie ever was.

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise
"Hey Nick, it's Artie. Look, I'm not coming in today. I'm sick as a dog. *cough* Been throwing up all night. I'll probably be in tomorrow."

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise
The news department is such a joke, they should just have rotating wackpackers take Langford's place, or just hire Beetlejuice.

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise
The news is only good when

- Gilbert is there.
- Robin tells a story about the Spiderman musical and Howard starts singing about Spiderman.

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise
Eric the Midget blocked me on twitter for wishing him happy birthday. Apparently it wasnt actually his birthday that day.

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise
I love when Norm had an appearance on the show and he spit right in the middle of the studio. It freaked Howard out a bit and Norm knew it.

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise
Ok, so I finished Artie's book, it's a good one if not for all the gaps that get filled in that we previously never knew about. I have no idea how Artie is still alive. I am also in no way convinced that he's fully recovered.

There is one excerpt from the book that merits speculation. It's this one, particularly trying to figure out who the two people are that the general public would know.

quote:

In the end they lost, because with the help of the ninety-nine percent who were good to me, I made it. I’m back, I’m not going anywhere, and my hatred for that one percent runs deep— very, very deep. As a matter of fact, if it were legal I’d have them killed. Don’t worry, I’m not going back to the joint for one of those dirtbags, but if I were sure I could get away with it? Yeah, I’d make a phone call or two and rid the world of those scum-fucks forever. However, that is not the case. I know for sure there’s no way to get away with it, so this is the last I’ll speak of it because I’m not going to do anything to get in trouble— I’ve had my fill of it.

This is all I will say here: what they did was serious and devious. The kind of things that trigger the level of anger that gives you the chills— and they did them to me at my very lowest point. They know who they are. They range from being very wealthy and successful, to flat-out broke drifters, and at least two of them have names that you, the general public, would recognize. It sounds so childish, but one of my biggest incentives for staying clean and in showbiz now is to prove them wrong and stick it in their smug, giggling asses. To that one percent who screwed me over, when you get a chance, do the world and me a favor and go gently caress yourselves.

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise

Tim Selaty Jr posted:

One of the public names is probably Dr. Drew

It's not Dr. Drew. He spends a paragraph or two in the book basically praising him.

Other people it isn't, based on the book:

Colin Quinn
Nick DiPaolo
Any current key stern show staff
Dice

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise

prefect posted:

Just because Artie wrote something in a book doesn't mean it's true. I think it would be very possible for somebody on the Stern show to be on his enemies list.

Partly because I don't know of any other famous people that might be involved with Artie's life. (I sure hope it's not Norm.)

I don't think its anyone on the show. He basically sucks Howard's dick throughout the book. I doubt it's Robin because he said she was the one who was in the hospital room visiting when he woke up after the surgery and he specifically mentions that these people did what they did at his darkest hour which was then. Fred isn't really in the public eye, and frankly, what could Fred have done to piss him off like that? Gary, maybe, but I lean towards doubting it based on various mentions of him throughout the book. No one else on the show is really known to the public.

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise

haljordan posted:

Holy poo poo, you mean she didn't immediately dump his rear end after all that? I thought it was a different girl than the one he's with now.

They were broken up for a while I think. He doesn't get into how they got back together. My guess is he just threw a Mercedes or Cartier ring at her

quote:

Does he mention Teddy at all in the book? I wonder if they're on speaking terms now.

Lots of Teddy parts. There are multiple passages where he says he's a good kid but then goes on for pages about how much of a fuckup he was at the same time.

quote:

just finished it too, and yeah, I would definitely say he's not recovered, especially since he was nodding off on that one podcast as recently as July. It was interesting that in the suicide attempt chapter, he was still going with the "I stabbed myself to get high" story, yet at the end there's a chapter that says "I made that story up, I couldn't admit to myself that I wanted to die and it was a suicide attempt." yet two weeks ago when he was doing press for the book, he stuck with the "I thought losing blood would make me floaty and drinking bleach would get me drunk." Dude is definitely still tossing lies around.

The way I read it was that at the time he thought he was doing it to get high or just get to sleep, but after a while came to the realization that he was in fact, suicidal.

What makes me suspicious about his "honesty" was that every time he'd claim he's been sober since the suicide attempt he puts in parentheses "outside of a few minor screw-ups" but then only goes on to talk about one of them, the Paris incident.

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise

Manifest posted:

Teddy never really struck me as a bad guy.

Probably an alcoholic, but never a bad guy.

One of the best parts of the book is when Teddy was smoking pot with Sarah Silverman at the Playboy mansion where Artie was doing a set, then couldn't stop laughing at Artie after he bombed AND split his pants on stage.

I don't think Teddy was a very good assistant, but then again, being an assistant to a guy as hosed up as Artie was nothing but a losing proposition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise
My favorite was always how Artie's Jeff the Drunk impression was the same as his Blue Iris impression.