Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Streebs posted:

I thought this was kind of a funny tweet by Howard,

@JohnStamos John...I have no idea how to work twitter...help. I'm feeling very out of it.

@Howard Stern - Watching you from backstage. you look great...Beth says hello

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

rqi posted:

Howard just rocked the house on letterman. It's must see tv.

That would have been a great quote Robin if it was a) 1996 and b) Letterman was still on NBC.

rqi posted:

New cat Leroy. Lived with the name for a while but I want to change it. Suggestions please.

Yep. Nothing confusing at all to a newly adopted animal like calling it something different then what it's been called it's whole life.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Kelly posted:

How the hell does a channel get labeled wrong?

Pop2k was a channel that debuted with the new Sirus/XM line up after the merger. It was basically a channel to play all pop and dance tunes from 2000 - current.

Backspin was brought back after many compaints a few months after the merger and replaced that channel. I'm guessing a push to update the radio firmware was too expensive/time consuming to deal with.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Kelly posted:

With the bits and music in and out of the commercials, the commercials vary from 10 - 15 minutes, easy. He's also been crazy about taking the breaks early on. The 7 and 7:30 are so regimented that today he cut himself off sentence at 7 to go to break.

I'm not listening as much later on, so I don't know if it is like that all day.

I'm wondering if maybe it's Sirius demanding that he break so much so that they can sell as many commercials as possible.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

therapy posted:

Sirius/XM is making the calls on people who haven't paid - a friend of mine just got a call from XM saying that he owes them over $300 for payments on a radio he hasn't owned in three years. He told them he wouldn't pay the $300 as he didn't own the stereo any more, but he'd gladly re-up his yearly subscription for the XM radio he DID have installed in his car.

Two hours later his current XM radio got disconnected.

A web hosting company I worked for did something like this. They took accounts that had a balance outstanding and had never been canceled. Basically the people just stopped using the service and in turn stopped paying the monthly hosting fee.

My company would then call people and tell them that due to Terms of Service, they owed money because they never called in to cancel, it didn't matter if they had been using the services or not.

Some people paid which most told us to go gently caress ourselves. Which was actually smart because the company wasn't going to go through the hassle of putting the claims on credit reports or law suites. It was basically them just rattling people's cages for free money.

So I'm guessing what they are doing here is calling all the people that got a free trial but never bothered to call and cancel. And really, who would remember to call and cancel a service you've never paid for in two years?

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

Agreed.

I really would like to see how this lawsuit would progress:

"Your honor, our customer used our service without paying, and we're seeking payment for those months!"

"According to this, it seems you have the power to shut off radios that do not make their payments. Why didn't you do this beforehand? It seems like a mistake on your end that you're trying to charge money for."

"But...er.....uh.."

Sirius didn't get the money, they should have cut service. They're basically charging people for their mistake. How does that work again? And this is before Sirius started begging for subscribers to stay on for free.

This company is a goner. The mismanagement is pathetic.

I don't know how Sirius would spin this, but my former company's thought was this:

If you move and don't tell the electric or water company that you moved, they still charge you for services whether you use them or not.

But yeah, this is them trying to scrape up some cash.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Brocktoon posted:

Um...wasn't Ron Howard just on last week?

Jason Reitman has also been on the show at least twice.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

I'm already seeing articles online about Smith calling Stern a bully. He's basically saying that one on one, Howard is really nice but once he's out and on the show he turns into a dick that picks on people.

I used to be a Kevin Smith fan but as time goes on he's more like that one friend you have who peaked in high school and still lives everyday trying to be 18 again.

And then there is the fact that anytime anyone critiques Smith, he turns it around and blames it on something else. Bad movie (Cop Out)? It was the actor's (Bruce Willis) fault. lovely reviews? The critics hate him. Gotta pay for an extra seat on Southewest because I'm a fatass? The airline is hosed up and Imma gonna rage against he machine!

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

I have a feeing that Mike Walker is gone because of the "new format" of the show. Since he's on the west cost, his segment would start after the 10:00 hour. Now that we are full on into news at that point there is no room for the bit and I don't think Walker wants to get up any earlier then he has to to tell his favorite Matt Dillon story.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Millstone posted:

Eric the Midget just posted something hilarious on SFN:

What's the over/under on how long it would take for the following if he joined SA:

1. Being banned
2. Being white-knighted
3. Dear Richard
4. PayPal Dispute because of a thread about him in FYAD

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

-Atom- posted:

Someone please please please get this midget on SA.

To be honest I have no idea why 4chan hasn't got hold of him yet.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

I'm willing to bet that this is talked about for at least two days when they get back.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1356638/Pamela-Anderson.html

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

never mind

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Djarum posted:

Yup. Probably going to be off Monday as well.

And the Monday after that...And the Monday after that...And the Monday after that...And the Monday after that...And the Monday after that...And the Monday after that...And the Monday after that...And the Monday after that...And the Monday after that...And the Monday after that...And the Monday after that...And the Monday after that...And the Monday after that...And the Monday after that...And the Monday after that...And the Monday after that...And the Monday after that...And the Monday after that...And the Monday after that...And the Monday after that...And the Monday after that...And the Monday after that...And the Monday after that...And the Monday after that...And the Monday after that...And the Monday after that...And the Monday after that...And the Monday after that...And the Monday after that...And the Monday after that...And the Monday after that...And the Monday after that...And the Monday after that...

Of course if anyone complains Howard will now reply with, "Hey! I'm on Twitter. You can read my tweets to get your fix!"

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Grabulon posted:

Believe you me

Look, the fact of the matter is...

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Let me sum up the opening of every Tuesday morning from now on:

Howard: Eric from Hoboken...go ahead
Eric: Howard! The reply from yesterday awesome!

30 minutes later

Mary Ann: Alllllllllllll I neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeed IS Howard in my life. Howard the shows yesterday was so incredible

7 minutes later

Johnboy: Hi Howard... did you know that when that replay yesterday originally aired, Beth was only 15? You think she would have banged you back then?

45 minutes later....

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Lifetime subs are now literally the life of the company.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Without reading the article, using google, or wikipedia, who here under the age of 30 can tell me what Jessica Hahn is famous for?

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

therapy posted:

Getting married in the summer is far more common than getting married any other time. loving every weekend in June is booked up at just about any site worth going to.

As much time as Howard spends in the Hamptons, you'd think he'd know this.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

So are they live on Monday?

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Steve I'm going to have to call you back later!

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

The S is for simcard

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

As someone who has worked from home, having an "office" like that is helpful.

I've known people in start ups that use offices like that because they don't want to commit to a lease but maybe a few days a month they need to be in an office setting to conduct business.

It's distracting at home if you have kids, pets, etc.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

KKKLIP ART posted:

Even a cheap DSLR is about a grand, and if he got 2 or 3 lenses and a battery pack and cases, I could see 5 grand even without any crazy mark up. Now I am sure the guy sold Howard the nice stuff, but 5 MILLION GRAAAAAND in DSLR equipment doesn't really get you super far, even buying used which Howard would never do.

I'm not photographer but why start with all professional equipment instead of getting something that's a little easier to use as you learn. And he never goes anywhere, what's he going to take pictures of?

Since I'm a musician, I tend to love these kind of people. A guy in his 30s suddenly decides he wants to play guitar so he goes to the music store and they convince him he needs a US made Fender Strat with a top of the line digital effects unit and amp plus a pedal board and home recording software.

2 months later the guy can barely play the into to a Stones song so he says "gently caress it!" and pawns everything. Guys like me then get like-new equipment for a faction of the cost.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Kelly posted:

Following Jason on Twitter is really great - he gives updates when something good is coming up. His updates come through on my Twitter feed via Trillian. He scooped Howard about Charlie Sheen being on yesterday, too. Gave me time to tune in.

@siriusjay

Isn't this what they were trying to do a few years ago? When Tim Sabian was screaming for everyone to be on Twitter and Gary totally hosed it up?

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

I hope to God Richard and Sal see his. http://www.dc101.com/pages/charlie_soundboard/player/

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

musclecoder posted:

Anytime Howard goofs on Ronnie it's great. I was let down with the strip club clips this morning, especially with how long he delayed playing them. Giving Ronnie poo poo for being a 70 year old guy at a strip club acting like that is a highlight for me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOB4j3D_mD0

Kelly posted:

The wrestling one too - that was one of his first ones. "I used to watch..." then he went off down the line naming wrestlers that sounded made up. Richard listing things is one of my favorite bits.

That, and when he calls places and they call him "sir" when he is doing his Ethel voice and he gets all offended.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ejT7nl55ag

I almost hate to say that all of those names are real. I'm guessing he grew up watching AWA and NWA

Bonzo fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Mar 3, 2011

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjzuQQbV7mA&NR=1&feature=fvwp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRj46Ui3srk&NR=1&feature=fvwp

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/robin-quivers/the-real-black-history_b_830749.html?ir=Yahoo

Ok Robin. All white people can trace their ancestry back to 12th century England right?

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

therapy posted:

Yeah, sorry, but you're way the gently caress off on this one. I hate Robin as much as anybody but that article was actually entirely correct.

I'm able to say I'm Greek, my wife is Irish and Mexican. My sister's girlfriend is Jewish and Dutch. My cousin married a guy whose family is from Wales a few hundred years back on his dad's side, and his mom is Chinese.

It's entirely accurate, as a black person in the US, to say you won't be able to trace any of that back. She can't tell you if her great grandfather came from what's now Sierra Leone, Ghana, Liberia, or Mauritania or wherever. Nobody will ever know.

Does that matter to you? Maybe not. Maybe you don't care about looking into your ancestry and finding out that your great great Grandfather fought in the Civil war or whatever the gently caress. But the point is, most of us have the option to do it. Black Americans typically don't.

I didn't mean to turn this into a huge debate. I personally can't trace a side of my family due to lovely record keeping and the fact that my great grandfather died at a very young age and his children have no memory of him or their mother. My wife is adopted and has no idea who her real parents are.

So yes I understand it being an issue wtih black people in the US, but it's also an issue with every race. Not everyone came over here on the Mayflower and were given farmland. Blacks while getting the short end of the stick, were not he only race brought over for slave labor either.

I dunno, to me it just sounded like Robin saying it was HER that has a problem because she can't trace HER family. I doubt this would be an issue for her if she could trace her family history.

If I need to do an on air apology as per HR please let me know.

pkd88 posted:

Some people blame reverse racism for problems in their life or in our culture/society. They actually look for any suggestion or hint of it.

Oh yeah? What did you great grandfather do for a living?

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

pkd88 posted:

She can't trace her family history because she is black American. She doesn't get the opportunity to decide if it is an issue for her or not.

You are seeing something that does not exist. The only thing that exists is what she wrote. What she wrote is clear. You are assigning something to her that does not exist outside of your imagination.

ok. you're always right anyway, right?

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

therapy posted:

It's a really stupid argument we're having, so I'd rather not get too far into it, but aside from maybe Native Americans, just about no other race has as much legitimate beef with the way Americans have treated them as Black people. I mean, yeah, Irish were indentured servants and Hungarians were forced to work in coal mines and such, but they still generally weren't considered "property" like animals.

I agree and thank you.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Burden posted:

They have 20 million subs with most paying 13 bucks a month.

As many people in this thread have posted, they will offer anyone a heavily discounted fee just to stay. 20 million subscribers yes but I think only a very low percentage is paying full price. If you buy a new car with a radio already in it, they usually give you one to two years free just so they can count you as a subscriber. They also hand out new radios like candy.

I think if they fired all the DJs on the music channels would be so much better. If I wanted to hear someone read an article from Fark every 3rd song, I'd stick with regular radio.

They playslists on the rock stations is also very "east coast". I grew up in the 70s and 80s and I think I've heard KISS played more on Sirius then I ever did growing up when KISS was the biggest thing around.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Viktor posted:

Indeed two months of "free" to work out the bugs and test. Then day one they launch a whole new WordPress front end vs the highly static previous site. Talk about idiotic people.

You know how Stern throws out money to people to set up his home theater and it never works? Bubba is the same with anyone he hires to do web content.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

musclecoder posted:

Goddamn did they ever gently caress up the redesign of RadioIO.com. Wordpress? Are you kidding me!?

The funny part? A few yeras ago blts.com ran Wordpress and Bubba spent at least one segment a day bitching out his webguy (I think it was Chip?) about how slow and lovely the site was. The guy evetually quit and they hired someone else who just used another free template based site like Wordpress.

I remember years ago we found a posting on Monster where BTLS was looking for a web dev guy. They were only paying $45k a year which for Tampa, I hear it pretty low.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

nm

Bonzo fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Mar 10, 2011

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Off topic but somewhat Stern related.

My wife is a manager at hotel in the Southwestern Ontario region and Norm McDonald just checked in last night. Seems he has a few gigs in the area this week.

Bonzo fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Mar 10, 2011

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

mike_348 posted:

I saw Norm a couple days ago in Guelph, Ontario. His stand up is hilarious and off the cuff, but man he was wasted when he got out there. He looked puffy, the road has not been kind.

He stayed at the hotel my wife manages. He came in to the daily staff meeting and thanked everyone for a nice stay. She said he was kinda quiet but very nice.

They had no idea he was coming. He booked the room himself online using his own credit card.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

AxeManiac posted:

I know we are all used to Howard and Robin and Artie paying people to put songs on their ipads, but becoming a celebrity doesn't mean you instantly lose all ability to think or act for yourself.

Look at Jimmy Kimmel, Howard thought he was a genius or using interns to figure out how to post vacation photos online.

I agree. The staff was just shocked that he walked in on his own with no entourage. Meanwhile anytime the local semi-pro hockey team books a floor they expect to be treated like the Queen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Not sure if this was mentioned on the show yet but someone got a Babba Booey on CNN during a report of the Tsunami.

I can't tell if it's Janks or not.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ciVBWm4ia-8&feature=player_embedded

VVVVVV I had the Gilbert laugh in my head the whole time I was reading that.

Bonzo fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Mar 15, 2011