Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Mr Lance Murdock posted:

Howard actually kinda sounded annoyed today by the Bubba stuff. I think he was told that Bubba would take whatever deal they offered him and now he/Tim is scrambling around trying to figure out how to fill the time slot.

That honestly doesn't surprise me. Sirius really screwed around with Bubba. They could have had him tied up exclusive years ago for a modest price. If I remember right he wasn't looking for anything crazy either, like around what that Mad Dog(?) guy was making which was what 3 or 5 million a year?

I really feel that the Bubba thing is really indicative of one of the huge problems of Sirius which is it is overly New York/Tri-State focused and centric. Bubba has his horse and pony show in Flordia and no one there cares. It is why they gave that Mad Dog guy that money even though the rest of the country has no idea who he is.

I think ultimately Radio IO will be a success. Sirius is scrambling to try to jump on the mobile wireless stuff but frankly I think it is too late. They got all that lovely hardware and lovely programming out there, the online streaming app is awful and requires you to spend even more money to use it. I got my worth out of the lifetime sub but I can't imagine the service is going to be around for that much longer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
drat Bubba is full hot on Twitter after that roundtable show.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Wattsamatta posted:

What did Tim say? I didn't hear the roundtable.

He avoided every subject pretty much and said nothing.

Bubba basically went nuclear on everyone since he felt like everyone decided to stab him in the back and forget about him to try to get his spot.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
I love yesterday how Howard was just like "I don't care just get Bubba back."

I took that as they had Howard listen to a selection of other radio people and there were all harrible.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
I think most of them are real. I know from when I worked in radio you would get these lists from publishing houses of authors to interview, the same musicians and whatnot. Most of the time these are from low rent, almost self published firms. They are great fodder for doing stuff like that with since they are desperate for publicity and especially with the authors take the subject matter WAY too seriously.

Basically they are all like Riley Martin except instead of aliens they are into something crazy like antique afghans, the teenage years of Mozart or Third Muscovite–Lithuanian War.

Imagine interviewing someone that is REALLY into editing Wikipedia and you got it.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Former Human posted:

no pain no gain

Oh! KC gay photograph with a German homo!

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

I Am a Keg. posted:

I was just wondering why we hadn't heard Bob Levy on the show lately... What was his falling out over?

Also after hearing the Win John's Job collection, I wonder what lead to Sal getting hired after Richard won

Bob got pissed off that he wasn't getting 50 plugs after the show anymore and and not getting paid enough for Miserable Men so he decided to go off and badmouth the show on I think it was a podcast?

If I remember right he was boasting that he was the brainchild behind everything on the show pretty much and that they all hosed him, etc. I think the truth was not exactly what he was saying but I think that some of it was true. The show and Howard especially has a terrible track record of using people and then blacklisting/bad mouthing them after they outlived their usefulness. I think a similar situation happened with Billy West which is why he is never going to appear on the show again. Billy, much like Stuttering John have taken the high road and kept their mouths shut, Bob is just a idiot so spouted off like a retard.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

AxeManiac posted:

Back logging it, but in the first 2 minutes of the Ron Howard interview, he basically explains somebody on his team told him to call up Howard for the interview. I wonder if Gary is still going to stick that feather in his hat.

It's not considered getting somebody if they call you.

Same with the Surprise Guest later this week. They called Dell'Abooey and asked if he could come on. Of course our Booey Booking is Joan Rivers again for the 50th time in the last 6 months.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
Evidently Dell'Atoothy is going to be on the Parks board or something. I missed the beginning of the show so I am not exact on the particulars.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
So Dr. Laura has been getting pranked relentlessly this afternoon. I heard both High Pitch Erik and John the Stutterer already. Although the best part is Dr. Laura wondering what "Baba Booey" meant.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Mr Hands Colon posted:

So has there been any mention of the prank calls to Dr. Laura?

Yeah, opening of the show they talked about them. They were told by management not to play the audio for some reason. I am pretty amazed at how lovely Howard gets treated by the management. The guy tries to make that place interesting and they continue to make it lovely.

Yesterday on Bubba they were talking about how utterly mismanaged that place is. They were bitching about Scott Greenstein making a ton of money and continuing to make shittastic choices. Also they mentioned the little reported news of how Sirius asked the FCC yesterday if they can raise subscriptions rates. They were like, maybe if you stopped offering tons of time free, spending 2 million dollars on a Paul McCartney concert "for the subscribers" in which less than 500 of them could go and spent some money on making and keeping good content maybe you wouldn't need to. Instead it is perfectly fine to make the loyal customer pay for Sirius's continued screw ups.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
Did they prank Dr. Laura again today? Bubba called out the hounds this afternoon but I didn't get a chance to listen and see if anyone made it through.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

NJersey posted:

Where is that clip from? It's loving hilarious.

Raymond Norman. I got his whole thing somewhere.

Basically he wrote Oprah a letter wanting something, she never replied. He wrote another letter and sent it by "certified mail" and got no response again.

So he decided the best course of action would be to record the audio tape complaining about how Oprah ignored him and how he finds her "highly disgusting" "at this point" and that "she can't take it with you". Also he stated how he is "keepin' it real". Then sent copies to various people. Howard is the only one who played it.

I think he tried to do a similar thing concerning Michael Jackson.

Djarum fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Jan 27, 2011

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Former Human posted:

He had the horrible, droopy man-boobs right?

I don't know! I have been obsessed with knowing what he looks like since I first heard the tape. As far as I know he has never been in the studio.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Former Human posted:

He was on in 2002. I saw the E! show with him and his frightening mantits and I wanted to throw up, unless that was some other wacky gay black dude.

Looks like the only time he was ever in studio was in 2002 for a Hollyweird Squares. I must find it now.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Priapist posted:

Did something happen to the Carolla-Sirius deal? First it was "delayed for technical reasons", then at the end of today's podcast Adam went on a brief rant about those "assfuck clowns" at Sirius XM. It was in reference to their 80s channel, but even Adam has enough self-control to know that's a bad move if you just signed a deal. I wonder if it fell through already.

Honestly it wouldn't surprise me. Howard said something to the effect of "people that have wanted to be involved with the channels for a long time will be doing something soon" today. But, I find it weird that they haven't came out and said anything about Adam's podcast being played yet.

My prediction; get ready for "Best Of" on Howard 101 for the rest of this contract. It is basically what everyone over there wants. Howard doesn't have to put any effort into it, Sirius doesn't have to pay a dime really and the average Supermark that listens to those channels 24/7 just wants to hear Howard. You will start to see stuff like Superfan Roundtable and Intern Show go away while the more popular programing like Miserable Men and Geektime will go elsewhere, possibly on Mondays and Fridays respectively to make up for the lack of live Howard.

Does anyone find it really disturbing that Sirius/XM had no backup plan for Bubba not resigning? It has been over a month and they still can't figure out what to do. It really can't look good to the stockholders and prospective investors in general. You basically force out some of your only good talent with no plan on what to do to replace him. The only thing worse than having a bad plan is no plan. Sirius seems like they can do both at the same time. It really seems indicative of the entire company.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Glumwheels posted:

I really find it amusing that Howard hates the iPhone, has gone through multiple blackberries and has settled on the droid. Probably the most difficult OS to use out of the entire bunch.

It is all because he "needs" Flash. That lovely chess club he is on uses it.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

-Atom- posted:

The Kacey Jordan interview was the best example on why I like listening to Howard so much. Of course she doesn't have many barriers, but it was still a good representation on Howard's interviewing skills.

Really good segment.

Only problem is that Howard immediately went to that whole rear end in a top hat licking thing and spent way too much time on it. First time I turn the show on this morning it was him going on and on about getting her rear end in a top hat licked, has she ever licked a guy's dirty, filthy rear end in a top hat. Dude needs to get over it a little. It comes off almost as creepy as the Vomit Guy with his fetish.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

sedative posted:

Gary Dell'Abate, Executive Producer of The Howard Stern Show

Just saw that... Wow.

What is funny, right after Joan Rivers was on the other day I was so pissed off I actually sent a email in which I have never done before. Here is the email.

quote:

Really? Joan Rivers again? Isn't this the 50th time in the last 6
months? I understand when you hire a barely shaved ape as a producer
the quality of guests may not be the best, but seriously Dell'Atoothy
really isn't even bothering to try anymore is he? What do you have to
talk to Joan Rivers about anymore? The first time when she came on in
1856 while she was still somewhat happening she was a good guest, but
I somehow doubt anything at all has happened to her in the last couple
of months. Next thing I am going to hear is Lisa Lampanelli is going
to be on next week, or better yet Corey Feldman and Joey Buttafuoco.

How about you get Dell'Abooey to get his fat. hairy rear end in gear and
actually work at booking some real guests on the show? For someone who
is going to be unemployed in 5 years you would think he would be doing
everything he can to show potential future employers that he put forth
a fantastic five years of high quality guests and producing on the
show. Perhaps he should spend less time worrying about his actual job
than his neverending book tour, pitching a ball like a moron and
playing solitaire.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

therapy posted:

Sirius/XM is making the calls on people who haven't paid - a friend of mine just got a call from XM saying that he owes them over $300 for payments on a radio he hasn't owned in three years. He told them he wouldn't pay the $300 as he didn't own the stereo any more, but he'd gladly re-up his yearly subscription for the XM radio he DID have installed in his car.

Two hours later his current XM radio got disconnected.

If that is true then that is a real scummy practice. I am honestly going to be surprised if they are going to make it until the end of the year at this rate. They were having money problems before and I imagine that things are just going to get worse for them. The first quarter profit report is going to be real telling and I got a feeling some people are going to be forced out of jobs. The name I keep hearing is Scott Greenstein.

I wonder if this is the stuff Howard heard at that meeting at his apartment last week, "Well you see we don't have any money because we only have 3 people paying full price for the service anymore, everyone else either is paying 43 dollars for 3 years or canceled."

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

Just curious: is it common for contracted talent to be paid in full if the business goes under? Because if Howard knew that Sirius was on shaky ground, signing up for a number of years could be a way to get enough money out of them that he's sure to get before they sink. I doubt they'll go to poo poo this year, but it really looks like they're in the death throes and are just about to start sinking quick. The only thing left to look for is rapid management changes and consolidation of positions.

If this is all true, at least Howard can look forward to one thing: that he managed to get a lot of money out of them before it ended.

Depends on how the contract is made, but normally no. From what I can gather about Howard's contract is that he is paid X over Time, but that is for the entire channels. So while if the contract was 500 Million over Five Years, Howard did not get 100 Million a year. If you also realize that Gary, Robin and Fred (formerly Artie) are not included in the channels but are separate Sirius/XM employees and not included in the 100 Million operating budget a year you can start to figure out how much Howard actually takes home.

Most likely it is somewhere north of 30 Million but less than 60 Million. As cheap as Howard is and as little as everyone seems to make around there I am betting the higher number. Since the contract was for a lower amount, but a lower amount of days/time I have a feeling that Howard took a paycut but only because he is working less.

Now with that said if it is like a normal contracted hire of this nature the employee is still paid a weekly paycheck, since I doubt Sirius has more than a couple of million liquid to pay anyone let alone a lump sum like that. Now if Sirius goes under they are first going to declare bankruptcy and then let go talent. Now depending on how the contracts are setup the company technically owes the talent money, but I would bet by declaring bankruptcy they will try to shield themselves from such debts and litigation.

All the talent, including Howard will be basically free agents. I am pretty sure Howard would retire then instead of getting back on to the horse.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

FogHelmut posted:

Upper-class Twit: "I read on the Internet that Howard Stern is a 'shock jock.' It says here that he threw bologna at a woman's buttocks. Is that true?"

Gary Dell?Abate: "Yeah, well what do you do for a living?"

I laughed at that much more than I should have.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
Howard really is full of poo poo with the Kevin Smith stuff. His entire argument doesn't hold a lot of water. Howard trying to pretend that Kevin Smith isn't relevant or popular is pretty false also. Howard just came off as a dick.

The guy is a good guest on shows, just made a movie that would interest him and made/distributing it in a new way which should interest him also.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Ransom posted:

Why on earth would Howard want an interesting guest on the show?

Or a relevant one at that.

Oh wait Joan Rivers is here!

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
Anyone else hear the commercial advertising Mammary Lane all next week? First time I can remember them actually stating vacation was coming up except for the History of Howard Stern stuff.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Moniker posted:

Is there a holiday next week? Or is it just time for a vacation?

President's Day I believe. It is a new week vacation that they just started taking a couple years ago out of the blue.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

Is anybody else thinking that this may be the week they start taking Monday or another day off?

That was my thinking. Wasn't after the first vacation when they dropped Fridays?

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
So I have been reading "The War for Late Night: When Leno Went Early and Television Went Crazy" today and I just caught something VERY interesting...

quote:

NBC also had a few fine points it wanted to discuss, a primary one being an assurance that Howard Stern would not appear as a guest during Conan's last week. This struck Rosen as a comical request - Conan had no interest in booking anyone as incendiary as Stern - so it was easily accepted.

Remember Howard going on and on about how Conan wanted him for the last week and him hem-hawing over it. Complete bullshit.

Also I have it on good authority that all this publicity about Howard on Twitter is because of both Sirius PR and Howard's publicist pushing it. It is all a part of this PR blitz to bring attention that Howard is on the Sirius/XM app.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Shes Not Impressed posted:

What part of Twitter isn't vying for public attention?
The last thing I would mistake Twitter for is some medium for altruism.

Whoever conjured up that PR plan made some good moves.

My problem is that it reeks of being phony. Tons of celebs join everyday on Twitter and they don't get media attention.

It is just like Howard taking over American Idol, being on Conan's last week... You get the picture. I wonder how much is it publicists trying to keep his name out there since his moving to Sirius his profile has gone way down and how much is it him trying to fuel his ego?

I found out about this from a friend who works for a major news outlet. I was talking about how I found all this sudden interest in someone joining Twitter was kind of strange. She told me about how they had a publicist push them the story and how it was all spin.

I don't mind Howard stroking his ego at all, but I don't like it when he outright lies to the audience. His whole shtick is being completely open and honest. When you pull stunts like this it takes both him and the show down a few notches; like Dan Rather reporting the fake story or finding out your parents faked being a happy couple for years and were cheating on each other. You still like them but you don't have any respect for them nor do you take them seriously anymore.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

AxeManiac posted:

They on vacation this week? I need to know how frugal I need to be with my remaining shows to make it through a work week.

Yup. Probably going to be off Monday as well.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

quote:

A computer hacker told me you can find out the persons name and address from their profile and that is all you need the authorities can find you cna charge you with a crime.

I am rolling right now. I hate that midget but god is that a great line.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
Bill Murray is on the phone!

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Bonzo posted:

Without reading the article, using google, or wikipedia, who here under the age of 30 can tell me what Jessica Hahn is famous for?

I am 29 and remember the Jim Baker sex scandal stuff pretty vividly. I didn't put together until years later that it was the same Jessica Hahn that was with Sam Kinison that was my idol as a kid. I didn't get into the show until years later so I didn't know she had a connection to the show.

I have always felt bad for her. She is a really good, nice person who has been taken advantage of by nearly everyone in her life and has been unfairly judged by many people because of it.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
I believe Howard told Gary he wouldn't go to not turn the funeral into a hooplah. If I were a celeb (although who knows if I am not! ;) ) I wouldn't go to funerals either. They are very private, personal affairs. To be a celebrity and go to a funeral is to bring unneeded attention to it with paparazzi, random fans and even the mourners being more concerned with me being there than the dead. It sucks because you are put into a position where you want to pay your respects but you also want to not make a scene.

The same can be said whatnot about a wedding although it is less disrespectful.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
Charlie just seemed normal Hollywood to me. Most successful actors I have ever dealt with have been much like that in private. They are heavily coached for talk shows as a lot of them are a mess of a human being. Imagine the mentality of someone who never gets told "no", has enough money to do nearly anything they want and not responsibility. It is like having a giant, spoiled kid. Charlie is at least open about how he is and his behavior but it is much more common than you would like to think.

He does have a point though with his argument though. The guy is ready to go to work and they keep coming up with reasons not to. CBS knew exactly what it was getting into when they hired Charlie Sheen and I doubt that his behavior at all has changed over the last several years.

Sadly that doesn't matter though. There is a good quote in that "War for Late Night" book I just read from a former head of NBC Irwin Sigilstein to Lorne Michaels when Lorne decided to quit after unfair treatment.

quote:

Let me just take you through what will happen when you leave, when you leave the show will get worse. But not all of the sudden-gradually. And it will take the audience a while to figure that out. Maybe two, maybe three years. And when it gets to be, you know, awful, and the audience has abandoned it, then we will cancel it. And the show will be gone, but we will still be here, because we're the network and we are eternal. If you read your contract closely, it say that the show is to be ninety minutes in length. It is to cost X. That's the budget. Nowhere in that do we ever say that it has to be good. And if you are so robotic and driven that you feel the pressure to push yourself in that way t make it good, don't come to us and say you've been treated unfairly, because you're trying hard to make it good and we're getting in your way. Because at no point did we ask for it to be good. That you're neurotic is a bonus to us. Our job is to lie, cheat and steal - and your job is to do the show.

That is TV in a nutshell.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
:siren:BREAKING NEWS:siren:

David Arquette was just in a head on collision.

http://www.tmz.com/2011/03/04/david-arquette-car-accident-collision-west-hollywood-head-on-collision/

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Burden posted:

What I don't understand about Sirius/XM is that a majority of the people who have sirius/xm subscribe for Howard Stern. Why would you not invest in talent for the Howard Stern channels so that way when Howard eventually retires the subscribers will have a reason to stay subscribing to Sirius/XM because they have something that us Howard Stern fans enjoy. Getting good content like Bubba, and Carolla is a good way to keep us subscribing. A majority of the budget should be for other talent on Howard 100 and Howard 101. It is fun to listen to best of, but I would enjoy another live show on 101.

You see that would mean that Sirius actually had a plan and people running it whom actually know what they are doing. Remember Sirius is ran by most of the people who ran radio into the ground by making every single station in the country the same and having the same limited talent everywhere. This is the same people who decided that people could live with 15 minutes of commercials in between 10 minutes of programing, the same people who thought that having the same 50 songs on shuffle is a great way to program.

There is no "Post Howard Plan", there never was and there isn't now. I sincerely think that Howard was going to retire after the last contract but a mixture of his staff not having a plan and Sirius not having a plan basically forced him to come back. Sirius gave him the farm this time since they know that without him they are sunk.

They ran the only other Stern replacement out of town and had him make a competing service. They continue to throw millions of dollars at celebs and d-list radio talent for little to show for it. It's obvious there is no replacement for Bubba coming. Sirius seems content to stick it's head in the sand and pretend that everything is fine. No wonder the stock is 2 cents a share. You can tell Howard has had it with how the company is being ran also from comments he has made. I also think he tried to make suggestions on things to do and was basically told to gently caress right off.

I know morale is pretty low from people whom work there. The McCartney concert basically was a giant "gently caress You" to a lot of the people who work at Sirius. Most employees haven't seen a raise in over two years, were just all told there was no money for a raise or a bonus and then millions of dollars were spent on a giant celeb circle jerk that almost no employee was able to go to nor subscriber. There are rumors of layoffs coming soon as well. One of my friends is looking to relocate to a smaller radio market and probably make more money than they are at Sirius for a cheaper cost of living.

I know I have been preaching the death of Sirius for awhile in this thread but unless something drastic happens soon to turn them around Howard isn't going to reach the end of that contract.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

pkd88 posted:

Is it possible it is just too costly to bring all the talent to one place?

These shows have large staffs and facilities to go along with the named star. I would think that syndicating (is that the right word?) existing talent/shows would be cost effective.

They don't have any competition (one source of radio entertainment) but it may just be that nobody wants this type of service or to pay what it would cost to put it together.

Radio is probably the worst paying gig in showbiz. Howard's Sirius contract is probably the only real exception to that rule. You are very lucky if you make over a million dollars a year even if you are a top guy. It is the nature of the business where talent gets the shaft. You could get every single major radio star under the Sirius/XM banner for about as much as they paid Oprah and Jamie Foxx. These are also known radio personalities whom are proven ratings winners not TV and Movie stars whom have no radio experience.

You have to equate Sirius to Cable Television. You subscribe to Cable for better picture and sound, specialized programing and to be able to get premium programing. Right now Sirius is like getting all your local channels and HBO, there is no other premium content to draw people in. They have plenty of competition in this market now; Pandroa, Slacker, RadioIO, etc. Unless you are a big Howard Fan there is no reason to subscribe to Sirius and that is a problem they need to deal with quickly.

Burden posted:

They have 20 million subs with most paying 13 bucks a month. They are bringing in like 200 million a month. Probably more. That is a little over 3 billion a year. I know they have debt to pay off, but good lord, pay to get some some talent out of that. The Stern audience is your biggest audience, cater to them. I think Bubba was asking for like 2 million. Is that so much seeing has how a ton of people listened to him? It just doesn't make sense.

I have heard there is some funny math with the "20 million subscribers". That is not 20 million active subscribers, it is 20 million total subscriptions ever. The actual subscriber numbers is much lower than that but no one has said. I wouldn't be surprised if it was around 8-9 million which is respectable. They are bleeding money though as most subscribers are not paying 13 dollars a month and they have just been wasteful with money.

Ribsauce posted:

pkd88, the argument about them not being able to pay talent falls apart when you look at them back up the Brinks truck for Oprah and Jamie Foxx. They spend money, they just spend it like rear end holes.

You got it right on the head. It is just like people in the Music Industry, still pretending it is 1994. Your industry is in the shitter, the company is in shambles and what staff you have you can barely pay, but damnnit you are going to spend that money on a circle jerk at a awards show! That money could have been spent on more productive things instead you waste it on a bullshit party for people who won't care or appreciate it.

It is not hard to see the problems with the company, nor is it hard to see solutions. I enjoy Sirius as a product and I am going to be sad to see it go but these guys are going to run the ship into the ground. I am amazed that they haven't told Scott Greenstein to take a hike yet.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Kelly posted:

If you ever listen to Alt Nation, they suffer from this, big time. That and Sirius XMU are my two big stations, but Alt Nation is the worst. They might have only 30 songs or so they rotate, a la top 40 radio.

And their actual top 40 station...terrible. I used to keep it on at my old job because it was one of the clean stations, and Jesus they played "Nothing On You" by B.O.B. literally once every 70-90 minutes last spring/summer.

I actually thought that the music stations were going to get a boost when the merger happened as XM's stations were superior in every way. Of course we know how that turned out, Sirius just eliminated the XM version of anything that was remotely similar and got rid of most of the non-contracted staff. I miss Fred, Lucy and Ethel so much it hurts sometimes.

Someone who worked at both explained it like this to me; XM was ran by music and radio geeks, Sirius is ran by businessmen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Kelly posted:

Left of Center on Sirius turned into garbage, too. It used to be my most listened to station, but now I barely turn it on.

I would say their saving grace is that there is SO much music on there that if you are sick of a station, you can just tune to something else. I am waiting for they day they introduce live reads into the music stations and/or start getting rid of some of the stations for some reason we are not privy to.

All the alternative/indie rock stations have gone to shite. Left of Center used to be my favorite Sirius station as well but now it is XMU or whatever it is just unlistenable. I actually haven't listened to a music station on Sirius since soon after the merger, it all just got so bad so quickly. I have no many options to listen to music; Pandora, Slacker, BBC Radio, Last.fm, etc. They are all free and have a much deeper playlist. The BBC also has some of the best radio talent in the world unlike at Sirius.

I know some people hate the disc jockeys that come on but that is because at Sirius they get the loving interns and secretaries to put on the air instead of actual radio talent. Before Stern arrived there were some really good jocks on Sirius and then magically they all left. Now you have someone on the air who maybe has been on their college radio station reading prerecorded news and have no idea of the format they are working on. That is why they read articles from Fark or Reddit on the air, they have no idea what they are doing. It's like putting a kid who just got their license into a F1 car to drive the Monaco GP. They don't really know what they are doing and are probably going to kill themselves and you in the process.

Also they have got rid of channels and will probably do some more soon. Remember how long people have to bitch to get a Punk channel on Sirius? Then after the merger they killed both of them, including the AMAZING XM Punk channel?

Here is what Sirius needs to do in the short term to get itself on it's feet again.

1: Invest in RADIO talent. And this is not just marquee talk radio names, but quality jocks from around the country in various formats. Having a professional sounding product will go a long way to make people feel like it is a product to pay a premium for.

2: Get out of the Satellite business. Support the hardware that is out there but stop producing new hardware and stop selling it. Focus your product online and on mobile devices. That is the battlefield, fight on it.

3: Fire everyone in charge of programing right now. It is pretty obvious they are either incompetent or lazy. The music channels are trash and most of the talk channels are not much better. Get a music geek to run each music station who knows the music to be played on it. Make it exciting, have it sound so much different than what you can get on regular radio or internet radio.

4: Get a new promotions department. This goes hand in hand with the programing, but Sirius really has the worst promotions people on the planet. This Charlie Sheen radio thing is just the saddest thing and it is indicative of how things are done around there. Instead of being a 3rd place market in Bumfuck, Ohio they need to start acting more like HBO. HBO rarely advertises and when it does it shows what premium programing it has that its rivals does not. It is classy. Sirius would dress a guy up in a chicken suit and give away bumper stickers if they could.

5: Get both a free model and a premium pay model. This goes with the internet radio. They are trying to compete with free and they need to have some content for free out there. Have a selection of channels are at the low biterate. Granted, I wouldn't do that until they fixed all the problems with the content first.