Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Joe Don Baker posted:

I totally agree with everything except for number 2. They absolutely need to be more aggressive in its online presence and getting their poo poo on mobile devices. However, I don't think they should totally stop making hardware. Not everyone lives in an area with 3G or better coverage. They should probably just make 1 or 2 different receivers and not even bother with the PMP style radios.

They got more hardware out there than they will ever be able to sell. Also I understand that the plan of making a dual band receiver ended up being a giant failure. If anything they will repurpose the tech into pushing internet radio but that tech has always been a loser for them. I agree not everyone lives where there is 3g, but you have to remember Sirius streaming at BEST is 128k which is easily done on EDGE, most of the stuff is 64k or less. I think if any of the legacy satellite receivers will still stick around for any length of time it will be the OEM Car ones.

Either way in a few short years we will have high speed wireless pretty much everywhere. It is better for them to be aggressive in this now instead of wasting time and money on a losing battle.

Again this is Sirius so whatever I said, expect them to do the exact opposite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Joe Don Baker posted:

I had no idea there was THAT much unused inventory.

Why do you think they give out free radios like candy? After Howard first signed to Sirius retailers had a run on hardware so Sirius had make more and more. They falsely predicted that people would upgrade their receiver every few years like a mobile phone. So after that rush ended and retailers were stuck with hundreds of thousands of units that would not sell, Sirius could not sell them the newer hardware. There are evidently a warehouse full of Starmates and the like that will never be sold. XM had the same problem on a lesser scale as most of their hardware was made by 3rd parties. When you got that much obsolete inventory you have problems.

I just looked at the website store and they have more NEW HARDWARE! Why is all I ask. I can't imagine they have produced many of any of them as they can't sell them anywhere, especially for what they are charging. There is another giant waste of money down the drain for them.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

Also, one big thing they never did was put more of their selections on Dish Network and DirecTV. I have the former and there's a long list of their channels. Why not Stern? Charge each house $5 a month for the Stern channels and start recouping money that way. They have a shitload of radios, but how many people would they get if they just put the whole lineup on most people's televisions?

That has to do with Stern more than Sirius. His contract is very specific on what they can and can not do. Stern is a notorious control freak and is very protective over his ownership rights. It has to do with him being burned by the guy who put out the record in Washington and then again by Channel 9. His contract specifically states where, how and when his programing can be broadcast. That is why he wasn't on the internet app until the new contract, since to have him on the app they would have had to renegotiate as Stern's reps claim that would be a new medium.

Also with the TV thing I believe that conflicts with his In Demand contract who have the exclusive rights to the "Howard Stern Show" broadcast on television. Also you wonder why Howard promotes the crap out of that In Demand crap? You should see the percentage of the monthly subscription rate he gets. I don't know a exact number but I know it is more than In Demand themselves get.

It really is amazing the information you get out of people when they are drunk.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

AxeManiac posted:

Newspapers do this too. Well, we go to a home, most homes have 3 people in them... so that means we have triple readers! They also probably let friends borrow the paper, so that could be like 2 more people per paper! And the bird reads the paper the next day at the bottom of his cage! 6 times the readers!

Oh no it is even worse than that scam. Basically they are not removing counting someone if they unsubscribe. So you know all those people who quit because of Bubba, Howard going to 4 days a week or a million other reasons? Yeah it doesn't matter because Sirius doesn't count them. You notice how it always says "Subscribers" and not "Active Subscribers"? When that hooplah about the 20 million happened a few months ago a reporter tried to ask for active subscription numbers and was told "no comment".

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

This is fascinating. Does this include other on-air talent as well, like O&A and R&F? The only channels there are music only.

The people I know don't have as good information about either of them as Stern but, I wouldn't be surprised if they have it as well. It is every radio guy's dream to move over to television and they would be silly to sign over their rights to it. As you have seen and heard over the years entertainment bosses are petty and will try to gently caress over talent if they have the least bit of leverage to. Easiest way to make sure that doesn't happen is to write into the contract that if you are to be on television you get X amount of money and make X obscene. Television people have it wrote into their contracts that they are not allowed to be into alternative media as well. It is just to protect that talent and is pretty standard.

Smeep posted:

Because satellite radio is an amazing medium to broadcast and receive content and it would be succeeding spectacularly if Sirius wasn't staffed by the most astonishingly inept team of fools in recent memory.

You said it as well as I could. Sirius is one of the last places for radio to succeed since FM radio is rapidly dying due to ineptitude. Some of us love radio to death. I guess a lot of the generation growing up now doesn't understand how important it was. I remember the first time I heard a million bands on the radio. It used to be a major part of most people's lives and the way most people learned of new and interesting music. The downfall of radio and the removal of music from MTV has a lot more to do with the state the music industry is in now that piracy in my opinion. But that is a entirely different discussion.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

ragle posted:

This article has a picture [resized below] which appears to contradict recent suggestions about Sirius' methodology in counting subscriptions:

If you look at the article it doesn't contradict anything I said. Again look between the lines there all it says is "subscriptions" not "active subscriptions". Basically in that number they are counting every radio ever activated as a subscription no matter if they are a currently paying customer or not.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Mr Lance Murdock posted:

It also would not surprise me if they count all the free activations they give away for 6 months with a new car.

They do. They also say that almost 50% of the people with new cars continue with service. I am not sure if those numbers are real as they provide no data to back them up. You have to remember as well Sirius rarely if ever deactivates a receiver. I have a Starmate that was activated for a couple of months when Howard first started then I canceled and still use every so often. It will sometimes get deactivated, I will put it in a box for awhile then hook it back up and it magically works again.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

ragle posted:

Uh, why would that number drop from 2008 to 2009?

Since you are a bright person I am going to give you some clues. What was happening to the company at that point? Why would that number have to be "accurate"?

A big way they don't run afoul with that math is that they have been doing those free periods of time several times a year where they activate all radios ever for a period of time.

But as someone else has said, most companies do these kinds of things now. While I would imagine most people find it unethical and misleading at best it is legal to do.

As for discussion of the show, Howard's talk on the Charlie Sheen stuff is pretty spot on. I can't believe Sirius tried to get Charlie to do a show for free and thought it would ever happen. Also the busting on Gary for this Parks job is quality radio. I can't wait for someone to put together a pack for this one.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

The people running Sirius are some of the most hopeful motherfuckers on the planet. I thought it was just contempt for radio types (or podcasters like Carolla). But apparently they're just cheap and thought they could sucker in someone.

That said, did Howard react to the last Sheen transmission? Charlie pretty much laid the failure of the first Sheen's Korner at Howard's feet.

It is radio in general. No one in radio gets paid for poo poo. Howard's talk of getting 96 dollars a week is not very far from the truth even now. At least before the last 15 years or so you could at least be hopeful to move up to a larger market for a decent payday, but with the deregulation of ownership and the rise of media conglomerates you are lucky if you can make money anywhere. Many station owners use the profits from bigger, more popular stations to subsidize the ownership and operation of less profitable ones. While it is good for their profits and other factors it doesn't stop that someone that has huge ratings in a top 20 radio market is making $27,000 a year. It is akin to a A-List actor being forced to work for scale since there is no other options. It is a huge reason why I don't work in radio anymore.

Howard basically brushed it off with his normal "Whatever, you are not original/talent/whatever and I am king poo poo" shtick. He wasn't particularly venomous though it was more of a I don't care feeling.

musclecoder posted:

While I see your point, I think Howard would say that commercials are part of how he makes his living (at least, it was during terrestrial days, not as much now obviously) but Jay did a commercial for no other reason to do a commercial. Or something.

In the last SEC filing Sirius said they earned about $65,000 from commercials. Either there is something wrong with that or their ad rates are so low it is not worth having them. We should make a fake company website and order a commercial on Sirius. Make it so wacky of a product and commercials that we make a mockery of it.

Djarum fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Mar 7, 2011

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

musclecoder posted:

That's 65,000 x 1000. At least, according to their quarterly report for July 1st - September 30th, they made $12.418 million dollars from advertising revenue.

http://investor.sirius.com/common/download/sec.cfm?companyid=SIRI&fid=950123-09-58553&cik=908937

So I imagine they made $65 million in advertising revenue, not $65,000.

Ok that makes slightly more sense. I am not a expert at understanding those things like most people. Although 65 million seems a little high as well. I can't imagine Ashley Madison, Adam and Eve and Cougarlife.com and the other scammy stuff have that deep of pockets. I know they occasionally get some movie promotion but even that doesn't pay as well as it used too.

For those that listen to Sports on Sirius do they have different commercials? I would imagine they could command better rates and sponsors during sports like on regular radio and tv.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

ChubbyEmoBabe posted:

I wonder...will people call in tomorrow and praise the kathy griffin interview? Have they ever? I can't think of once in all the years I have laughed at anything she has said.

I like her stand up and the first couple of seasons of D-List was actually pretty good television. She isn't a amazing interview but she isn't a awful one. Also unlike most of the other people who is on the show a little much, she always is actually promoting something real.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
So Howard is moving from PC to Apple. Just last night I was listening to him rant and rave in 1994 about how Apple is awful and OS/2 is the best.

It is probably for the best, the guy just has always seemed to have a nightmare with his computers and network. I have a feeling it has more to do with him wanting to use awful software and whoever is doing his work is cheapening out on hardware to make a healthy profit off of him.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Imagine Howard Stern has an Apple fanboy. That may be the greatest thing ever.

Especially when, in a fit of madness, he demands that Sirius switch all of the studio's PCs to iMacs.

Never happen. There is no professional radio software for OSX. I know that most audio recording/editing is done on a Mac, at least in my experience, but no one has ever really made a good integrated radio suite for OSX. I am sure the demand is there. Keeping up a Windows machine that is touched by bored disc jockeys with no concept of keeping viruses, etc off it is a nightmare. It is worse at a smaller station without much of a budget for IT.

A station I know of in a small city had to contract out tens of thousands of dollars of free ad time to have them work on their PCs. The owner of the local PC repair shop thought it was a great deal as he had no budget for advertising and didn't think he was going to have to deal with the station much. Fast forward three months the guy had to hire another employee to just deal with the station as they needed on site support minimum three days a week. I believe the owner of the PC repair shop had to cancel the support contract with the station as he was losing money on the deal.

PROTip: NEVER take anything in trade from a Radio Station. They WILL take advantage of you and you WILL get ripped off somehow.

I know the city I live in at the moment has had several businesses close their doors because local media ripped them off. Restaurants are the easiest targets for them. Here is how that scam works. You get offered either free or a reduced ad rate for free food for the station. Most small new restaurants jump right on as they need to get their name out there and they don't think the station will need that much free food. What ends up happening is you have people at the station taking advantage of the relationship, ordering $50-$100 worth of food at a time several times a week. Now generally if you are getting targeted with this scam you don't live in a market that will bring you enough customers to cover that kind of expense. What ends up happening is the guy either tells the station to gently caress off or he goes out of business either because he lost too much money or the station suckered him into signing a binding contract.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

EngineerJoe posted:

Who the heck would sign an open ended contract like this? I guess I'm not surprised...

Well generally they aren't open ended if a real contract is signed. But if the contract is for let's say 6 months and they are taking $600+ dollars a week in food from you that you are unable to recoup from the advertising it puts a damper on you. Also what happens a lot is the owners of these businesses don't realize they are in trouble until it is too late.

Radio generally does not make it's money from mom and pop advertising in most markets. They get it from larger local business or major corporations with a national advertising wave going on. What generally happens is someone at the station decides they need something and they decide to get a advertiser who does that. The trade for ad time is a win for the station as it is free and they can place the ads at a time where they aren't selling time then already. Now some stations are ethical with this practice but most are not. The less major of a market you are in the more prevalent it is.

The city I live in right now is one of top 3 in the state and is a top 50 radio market. It is a perfect place for the scam as it is big enough to draw major advertisers and has some large business so they don't have to worry about mom and pop to pay people's paychecks. It is still small towney enough for little local restaurants and business to be able to feel like they need the radio ads.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

qbert posted:

I wonder how Howard managed to get the new iPad over the weekend? Did some unlucky assistant have to wait hours in line to get him one, or did Apple somehow hook him up?

Kelly posted:

I just caught this on the replay, and it sounds like he called and had one put aside, because he had to go back and have another one put aside for Beth.

I took it more like he knew someone who was already in line out there to pick him up one. I can tell you for a fact that Apple retail employees are not allowed under any circumstances to hold product back for anyone. It is a serious termination level offense. I had to hear all about that this week from one of my best friends whom works for Apple that I went to Chicago with so he could help the launch there.

Apple doesn't want the thousands of people who waited outside for hours if not days to feel they were shafted out of getting a product because of someone getting special treatment. Most high profile people can get product straight from Apple overnight. If Howard actually got special treatment someone is going to get in serious trouble over there because Apple doesn't gently caress around in that regard.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Kelly posted:

Seriously though: how many people actually subscribe to Howard TV? A lot less than those who listen to the radio show. Lisa should ask the questions and Greg can tape her as she interviews them. Problem solved.

Official numbers have never been released the same as almost all PPV entertainment except when it does a astronomical amount of numbers. PPV people don't want you to know how unpopular it actually is.

The number I have always had was around a low six figure mark, with a high turnover rate and low longtime subscribers. Basically they are highly dependent on content and since they are not together enough to produce their own original content they basically hope something big visually happens on the show so folks will want to spend the 20 bucks a month to see it. They are double screwed with the advent of YouTube since any interesting clip is immediately online before they can get their rear end into gear.

If Howard was smart he would have dumped InDemand this contract and gone online with his content. At the very least they should be using YouTube and the like as advertising for Sirius and InDemand. If there was a funny bit on the show, fire it up online that day, throw some advertising on it. At least then they are making a nickel off of the content online instead of Joe Shmoe. Yes, there isn't as much money to be made online right now compared to other media. But guess what in another 5 years or so that is going to change and it is already starting to change. The price the consumer has deemed entertainment to be worth is zero. You either need to figure out how to make money some other way or make a compelling enough product that people will spend money on it.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
So a caller finally forced Howard to speak frankly about Artie this morning. From what I gathered from it the reason why he isn't going to be on the show is that Howard is so neurotic he doesn't want to be involved or responsible. It is actually a fascinating look into how hosed up Howard's head is.

It started about 10:30ish so it should be popping up on the West Coast feed anytime now.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
Unpasteurized milk, butter and cheese is the norm in Europe and frankly tastes better. Do I think it is more healthy at all, no. As long as there is proper regulations in place to maintain the safety of the milk products then you do not need pasteurization. I missed Quivers spouting off her insanity but I bet it was something kooky.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Alkaphanel posted:

Holy poo poo! How does Sirius look at a deal/demand like that, and sign off on it, and then ask Bubba to work for 100k and Adam Corolla to work for free?

When I worked for a phone company a "shareholders action group" was created to overturn business decisions twice as sound as that one. Does Don Buckwald have some seriously incriminating photos of Mel Karmazan or something?

Because the company will fold without Stern. They know it, the shareholders know it and Stern knows it. The treatment they have given other talent and utter mismanagement of everything else is grounds for shareholders to be up in arms but resigning Stern at any cost was not a dumb one.

Grabulon posted:

It's legal and available, but not the norm.

Really? Any time I have been in Europe over the years I have never ran into anything other than unpasteurized milk products, particularly cheese and butter. I dream about the butter and cheese in France.

I understand why we have to have all our dairy products pasteurized in the US. If you haven't seen the conditions where we get our milk and how it is processed don't. You won't touch a dairy product again. I can only think of the horror that would happen if it wasn't illegal. That being said I think if you can get unpasteurized from a source that you know and have the information that it is safe take the chance. Most people don't have that option though.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

chiz posted:

His staff are all misfitis, I mean JD, Ronnie, Richard and Sal but yeah they shouldve gotten a pay raise when they all went to Sirius.

They all did. The highest paid of the backroom staff at K-Rock was Dell'AToothy and he was only making 150k a year. I believe Sal and Richard were only making around 60k or something a year also. They have all received a healthy pay bump. A big reason why not much of the staff has left is that while the pay is low, it is not much better anywhere else in the entertainment industry. Even on a highly rated program unless you are talent you aren't making much. The jobs are so hard to get anyway that people stay at them for 20 years or so. There are still guys working at SNL who started when the show did, making at best 80k a year.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Ether Frenzy posted:

Does anyone know if there's any 2000-2005 compilation packs? I don't know how many people recorded the show prior to Sirius, but the recordings I made since he started there have been extremely great to listen to and they'll definitely come in handy when he quits doing full time work. The show is/has been similar enough every day that you never really feel like you're listening to repeats, but then a classic bit comes up in the course of business and you can relive it again.

If anyone has managed to save the pre-sirius shows, I think you could feasibly listen to every single show of the Artie era (or post-divorce, maybe) and that would keep you pretty entertained for the next decade, even without Live Howard.

Every single show from 1994 on is very easily found online. Before 94 is pretty spotty at best. If you want the best quality era of shows hit up 94-95. Everyone is on fire, you have Billy West through most of it and there isn't really many bad shows in the entire run.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Ribsauce posted:

drat 57 posts and all are about Robin's diet. I thought something awesome (or terrible) happened

I thought the same too.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
I know a couple of people who basically teach people who to use their Macs in both SF and NYC. The one in NYC charges $250 bucks a hour on how to sync a iPhone and use iTunes. He is booked solid for 3 months.

I would not be surprised in the least if Howard is paying someone $500+ a hour to come to his house and teach him Photoshop for Dummies. Evidently people with money are computer illiterate.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
Is anyone else sick of hearing the Pet Lady? I mean the original bit was ok but god she has been on every day since then. Way to beat a dead horse. She is basically doing the Crazy Alice bit without Artie there to make it funny. Unlike Alice who is just a angry woman the Pet Lady seems actually mentally ill and kind of sad. Now she is getting involved with some of the scum that surrounds the show and it is just going to get even more depressing and sad.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

chiz posted:

She isn't bright enough to know that though. She needs to be told things like how she should eat and what she should eat and how to do it. She knows that she isn't that smart at all and just parrots what other people tell her. It mirrors exactly how she is on the show when she interacts with Howard.

"I was just about to say that" "I was just talking to someone about that" she's dumb and knows it and tries to unashamedly make up for it.

I don't think that Robin is a bad person, it's just that she's very narcissistic and out of touch. She's at least as much of a trainwreck as Howard is if not moreso. And I think moreso.

Everyone on and involved with the show is like that though. Everything they get involved in they basically have to have someone else tell them what to do and hold their hand. Perfect example is Howard and his "technology". Five minutes loving around with it and a Google search should be able to answer just about any question you could possibly have. Instead he has to hire "experts" to tell him what to do and what to buy.

Look at Ralph and that Geektime show, the people he takes advice and news from is awful. They are basically talking heads from various magazines or shows.

They are all just so closeminded about anything until something they deem worthy of respect tell them the same thing everyone else had been for months. See Howard with Twitter or moving to the iPhone/Apple, etc.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
So it looks like Sirius finally kille off the old radio streamer last night so no more Pocket Tunes.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Kelly posted:

That sucks. Pocket Tunes was a good backup for when their app wasn't working. I've noticed since the upgrade I get a "your data service has stopped" warning at least once an hour or so. The rest of my iPhone is fine, it's the app.

Well I have a Lifetime Account so I can't use the official app and I am sure as hell not giving Sirius anymore money. Hopefully they will figure out a way to stream it again soon.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
Found a alternative that works great on the iPhone. Music Dock and it is free.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
George!!!!

EDIT

Jesus Howard, just because you are a awful, selfish human being who can't be forced to do anything nice for another human being does not mean everyone else is.

I mean even if everyone did get their relationship with George because f the show, he has been a heavy contributor and cast member for the last five years at least. No one can have a personal relationship on their own with the man and feel comfortable enough to ask a personal favor as a friend?

Howard really is a terrible, miserable person.

Djarum fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Apr 4, 2011

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Kragger99 posted:

Are they on vacation next week?

Yup. I believe it is Easter is it not? The special next week is something like the grossest week ever hosted by Johnny Knoxville.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Super Ninja Fish posted:

It's hard to believe he could make as much money with a subscriber channel as he could a syndicated TV deal.

Plus if he was on TV where everyone could see him, he would get more and better celebrities.

Nope he gets a lions share of the subscriber fees. He is making leagues more than he ever did at E! who much like Comedy Central are notoriously cheap.

Also you have to ask who would even put him on their network anymore?

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

"Squashy Nipples" posted:

I LOVE Fred, he is my favorite guy on the show. That said, there is a tiny sliver of truth to this statement. While he adds an enormous amount to the show, with both his sound effects, jokes, and the rare comment, he doesn't write any more. He used to do a lot of bits and songs, specially when teamed up with Jackie.

Actually Fred still does some writing and producing still. You can tell a Fred joke because it is a little subversive. It is hard to explain but you can tell what they are if you listen to old shows and then listen now. He doesn't write as much anymore but they are still there. He also almost always does the intros for contests and whatnot.

I think that there just isn't a ton of need for him to produce a lot of material anymore due to them having a million people working there now. Back in the 80s and early 90s it was pretty much Howard, Fred, Jackie, Boy Toothy, Scott, John and a handful of interns (2 or 3). Scott was always overloaded with production work from the station as well as the show, Howard I never felt had the time to spend working on it So that basically left Fred as the only one left who had the ability to record and produce bits.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

chiz posted:

How does an agent work? I mean what apart from contract negotiations does Don do for him?

also magnets.

Well for normal people they help get them work, guide their career, advise the client on what choices to make and hash out contracts. They also do the dirty work that the client can not, like telling people "no", etc.

On a normal client they take a 10-15% cut of all their work, but for someone like Howard where he does do a lot of work and Don isn't doing a ton of work either I imagine it is more of a yearly rate instead of commission. I know certain other people who do not need to work that much anymore are on that sort of a deal with their agents.

At this point Don is more of a adviser and a clearing house for all the people wanting a piece of Howard; TV shows wanting appearances, movie roles, people wanting Howard to promote something, etc. It all goes through Buckwald. You want a quote from Howard, you ask Buckwald. Don can be the bad guy and not call you back and Howard comes off looking clean.

Agents have a bad rap a lot but that is what they are paid to do, look after the best interests of the client. Sometimes that requires being a bad guy or a rear end in a top hat.

Now lets say he makes 80 million a year, 10% of that goes to Buckwald, 5% goes to a attorney, 5-8% goes to a accountant although both of those last ones are probably higher due to Howard probably having good, trustworthy forms of both. After taxes and whatnot he is probably only seeing 25 million which is still not bad money and anyone here would be glad to have it even for one year but it is amazing how much gets taken away from you.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

ragle posted:

Howard probably did not give Buchwald a % or if he did it was minuscule. I can't see him going through several million dollars/yr between attorneys and accountants either.

Ummm... you have no idea how the entertainment industry works do you? It is how it works. In entertainment contracts you generally pay a percentage of your income to at the very least your agent and lawyer. For a accountant it can go either way, I imagine Stern probably is paying a guy a percentage to keep him honest. When you pay a flat fee to a accountant in which he is managing tons of money for you it is almost begging him to rip you off.

While it sounds stupid to people who don't work in entertainment I can explain it in a way that it might make more sense.

You have a agent, think of the agent like your pimp. He has all the contacts in your industry, he does all the heavy lifting of getting you work. Your agent is who gets you auditions, he is who talks to the employers and makes sure you are taken care of, basically your agent takes care of all the bullshit that you really never want to deal with. So in effect all you have to do is wait for a phone call that says to be at this place at this time. Now like a pimp, in exchange for getting you work, making you happy and safe they expect some of the money you make.

Now you can always go without a agent, like a prostitute but it is much harder and you are at risk of getting taken advantage of unless you are at a certain point in your career that it does not matter anymore like Bill Murray or a famous Porn Star. Now even then, while Bill Murray does not have a agent he still has a lawyer to go over any contracts he receives, because even though he has no shortage of work offers and general will get what he wants you ALWAYS want a good lawyer to go over any legal paperwork you ever get. It is a safe way to protect yourself, much like how a prostitute should always use protection.

As for a good accountant that really is a no-brainer. If you are like 90% of us in this thread we have no real need for one. Or income and assets are pretty small and using a software accounting and tax software does the job quickly and easily. When you have a lot of money, especially when it is coming in from various sources and is diversified in various investments and markets it is not wise to handle your own finances. You need a professional to keep track of everything and work with your banker to help make your money grow. The trick is with high income people that finding a honest accountant is difficult since if they screw up or rip you off it is you that is hosed, not them. If you pay them a percentage and then keep a eye on your finances you can help keep them honest. It is also a good way to keep them on the ball of making sure your money is working as if it is not, they see less money.

Stern is stupid about a lot of things but this is not one of them. When he got to New York he had not had a agent and when he met Don he took a look at his contract and about passed out. Buckwald went in that next week and got him a ton more money which pretty much sealed the deal for Howard. I know a few people who have dealt with him over the years and he is very well respected in the entertainment industry. Don up until recently when he merged with another agency rarely took on new clients and has a personal relationship with all his clients. The guy actually cares and takes care of his clients which is a rarity in that industry. I know of a lot of high profile people in the entertainment industry who can't get their agent on the phone a lot of the time. You can't say the same for people who have Buckwald representing them.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

sedative posted:

Yeah all of the third party streamers died because Sirius shut down the legacy streams that were unencrypted.

It is a real dick move.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

sedative posted:

They're not asking you to pay anything extra. They just got rid of the old streams that the third party streamers used. You can still use their web player or an app on your phone.

Nope, if you have a lifetime sub you can't use the official Sirius app. It is only for "Premium Internet" subscribers.

Basically they hosed over every single lifetime subscriber since the web app is basically unusable which is why there were 3rd party apps in the first place and you are unable to use the official app.

I rarely if ever use my radio anymore and pretty music just used the streaming 3rd party apps on my phone and computer. I don't have Flash installed on anything anymore (It is terrible on both OSX and Linux) so I can't even use the web app if it worked worth a poo poo.

I am sure I could call and bitch to Sirius and get 5 gazillion months free of it but that isn't the point. They shouldn't treat the customers who invested the most into them this way.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

chiz posted:

How much extra is the internet/app thing per month?

I think it is 12 bucks a month, same as a monthly sub.

sedative posted:

Oh wow. You seriously have to call up and complain.

edit: though they already have your money so maybe they won't give a poo poo

Oh I doubt they will give a poo poo. And I really don't want to deal with Sirius billing me for anything from what I went through and all the horror stories I have heard.

I know when I first got my radio I was month to month for a little bit and I used a prepaid credit card thing I got from my bank at the time for when I was doing online shopping it wasn't connected to my bank account. (This is a GREAT thing and I really miss that bank.) Well after a few months I ended up buying a lifetime sub on the radio and saving some cash in the long run. Fast forward a couple of months and I start getting angry calls from Sirius people about how they kept trying to bill the safety card and there was no funds in it, I owe them money, etc. I tried to explain to them that I ended up getting a lifetime sub on the radio, etc. They would not listen and kept threatening me with taking me to court and whatnot... all over 15 bucks. I called Sirius customer service tried to explain the situation and the rep could not fix the issue since for some reason I was getting billed twice for one radio and there was no way to remove the monthly sub on their end. :psyduck:

So the lovely phone calls lasted another couple of weeks until I basically told them to either take me to court or gently caress off because either way I will win.

I love Howard and a lot of programing on Sirius but if it is a choice between paying even more money or not using the service I would rather not use the service. I am on a train with my iPhone anyway part of the day so downloading the show and putting what music I enjoy on it is what I am already doing. It is not a huge loss for me.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

AxeManiac posted:

I was listening to the show with Richard and his Wedding and Richard said "We are throwing another wedding in Kansas because it is hard for people there to get to New York"

And then Robin chimes in with "Yeah.... right, it's hard to get to New York".

Ugh... that kind of stuff drives me crazy. It is insanely hard for a normal person to fly to a wedding, more so people in Kansas, that trip to New York would kill any normal family and eat up their vacation time (if they have any).

It's such a throw away line, but drat, she doesn't really think. Money must make you stupid.

Well it is also that East Coast mindset I have found out. A friend of mine got married to a girl from up there years ago and his wife's family couldn't understand why all of his family could not just fly to the East Coast for the wedding from Bumfuck, Indiana. The fact that most of these people made about in a month what a roundtrip ticket to there and back cost let alone a hotel. I know that most of his family had never even seen a airplane in real life let alone been on one. His parents ended up getting a loan to go to the wedding and were the only ones there from his side.

Of course they got a divorce a couple of years later.

PROTip: Never Get Married Kids!

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
Let's be honest Howard will probably not even talk about it. Remember how long it took for him to say anything about Artie? If anything it will be like everyone else has said a quick mention and say how he is glad he is doing better.

Honestly I think Howard is bitter about everything and the reason why the chair is empty now, perhaps for good is because in his wacked out mind the last two people whom have sat in it has screwed him over.

Honestly there are a million people who would love to be in that room and who would do a great job. Howard I think has mentally checked out of the job at this point. I think he is perfectly fine with fading away. I can't even force myself to listen to new shows anymore it is just painful and boring to listen to. I just listen to stuff from the heyday 93-96 and still laugh just as hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
As a former heroin addict myself I can say that you guys are completely wrong.

I know exactly what place here was in when it happened. The junk is the worst poo poo ever to kick. You would honestly rather die that go through the withdrawals. It is seriously like your body is dying while you are still alive. I have gone through it a couple of times in my life and I have seriously considered stabbing myself to death just to end the torment.

After a certain point you don't want to be on it anymore but for various reasons you just can't. I am sure that was were Artie was. Couple that with his family issues, work and you have a bad place to be in.

It sounds like the help he is getting is doing the trick. Hopefully it sticks and he slowly reemerges in showbiz. Last thing he needs is to go back on the road and get back into that lifestyle. And as much as I love the show it is seriously not the place for someone like Artie anymore.