Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Squashy Nipples posted:

If you are raised in the cult, they teach you the "walking technique" at 4 (although this part is free), and at ten they teach you the full "sit-down technique", and assign you your mantra. At age ten it's basically being inducted into the cult, sort of like Confirmation for Catholics (so I guess the thing at four is sort of like a baptismal).

Remember, in the cult of The Maharishi, the TM training isn't free, not even for the family members of longstanding practitioners like Howard. Everyone has to go through the ritual, everyone has to bring a piece of fruit to offer Guru Dev, everyone has to pay the $3,000 (well, ok, the walking part is free).

Yeah TM is a huge money making scam. The Maharishi was a scummy person who took advantage of people with money and fame to further his own ends. This is not saying meditation isn't a good or helpful thing but you shouldn't have to pay for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
I think this article also might give some credibility to the rumor that Howard's kids don't like Beth.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Bonzo posted:

I'm sure they tolerated her until the marriage.

Well wasn't it said that his daughters would not be in the same place as her and whatnot? Like I believe they did not go to his wedding and they won't visit his home because of her. Whenever Howard talks about seeing his daughters they are always at a third parties.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Bonzo posted:

I leave my cat and dog in the house by themselves when I'm at work. Someone call PETA.

Hasn't she only been in one movie? Also her modeling career must have been lovely. I remember she would show up early at various things and the photographers would basically use her for B roll.

She was a working model, so that means advertising and the like. It isn't super lucrative but it is steady work if you make the right contacts and have the right look.

I know she was doing so work on Letterman before she met Howard as well. As soon as it came out that she was dating Howard it was all over. Her dating him was the worst thing for her career and best thing for her pocketbook.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
Howard definitely sowed his oats for awhile. There were a couple of more famous women than Robin Givens and Angie Everhart as well that isn't public. There was some Page Six stories but I can't remember names anymore.

I think Howard ultimately needs a partner to sorta take care of him. He has had a woman telling him what to do/taking care of him his entire life. I don't think he really can deal with being alone. Beth likely checks all the marks that Howard needs.

I think everyone has a friend or two that is married or dating someone that you can't understand why. I think that is Beth.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
Sadly as someone who was working for Radio Shack in a mid management up until the end I can say Nick Cannon is probably more qualified than anyone else was in that chair for the last decade plus.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
Oh how the might have fallen...

http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/howard-stern-show-giving-away-all-85-dark-knight-iii-1-covers

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
Wow I am surprised I am not on that list.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Bonzo posted:

Mark's Friggin may be going offline

http://www.marksfriggin.com/smfdc16.htm

I saw that yesterday and I am trying to figure out on what planet that site has $1500 a month bandwidth bills.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Former Human posted:

I like it when Sal and Richard give out 922-WINE during their phony phone calls so if anyone calls it they're actually calling Jackie's joke line.

I use 922-WINE at every opportunity. If something is asking for a phone number that doesn't need it they are going to talk to Jackie!

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Viktor posted:

High pitch Eric sign at wwe extreme rules tonight

That guy had multiple Stern signs. There was a great Eric the Midget flying with Balloons, Noine Noine Noine and Ronnie the Limo Driver. I read that there was more but not all of them got on camera.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

prefect posted:

Howard started at WNBC at $200K/year, and was making at least $400K/year plus incentives when they fired him in 1985. And I believe he's always said he got a lot more money when he moved from WNBC to WXRK. The show cast was hanging out all depressed, and Don Buchwald came into the room in a fantastic mood, carrying champagne.

I think when they went to WXRK they started out with a little less but ended up more once they beat WNBC, which is why they were still doing side projects and whatnot all the time. The real paydays didn't start until syndication came in since I believe Howard got a cut of every market they added, which is why he was so brutal to the competition in the new markets.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

prefect posted:

That's right -- and Jackie asked for raises when they expanded into new markets, which pissed Howard off pretty bad.

Yeah I believe everyone was kind of sour about it. I don't think most of the rest of the crew got a serious pay bump until the E! show took off and they were number one in multiple markets, so 93-94. I don't think anyone was doing bad per say but not what they were worth until then. You can tell the instant real money started coming into the show is when things got more money put into them period; moving into the better studio, more interns, etc.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

And he didn't always succeed. The Detroit Market is harsh and Stern almost got a foothold on a rebranded station around here before he came and vanished without much of a blip. Only way to get a fix around here was the E! show.

Thought I would mention that, not sure why. Guess I like my hometown radio market? Now I feel sad.

Howard didn't do real well in most of the Midwest in general. He struggled in Chicago famously and most other cities that had him either mismanaged him or couldn't afford to keep him. I am kind of amazed he failed in Detroit since he spent a good chunk of time there and from all accounts was pretty popular in that time. I know it was a sore spot until the end he couldn't get on in Atlanta.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Anyway, Howard didn't do well in the Midwest at all? I find it hard to believe. Chicago I guess I could see (another big Midwestern city probably had a Detroit-like market), but I'm baffled why he didn't do well in Atlanta. I wonder if they kept the show as-is and aired in live or cut the poo poo out of it and did a Best Of all the time.

I don't believe so. Detroit as you mentioned he didn't last long as well as in Louisville. He had his famous war with Mancow in Chicago which basically ended in a draw between them as Manioc's show imploded when he switched stations in 97/98(?) and Howard never really gained huge traction there as Chicago is a huge radio market like Detroit with a lot of competition. He was never on in Indianapolis due to Bob and Tom I believe. He was huge in Cleveland until the end and strangely did well in Lexington, KY of all places.

But most of the country was closed off to him. He had many stations in Texas and Florida but the rest of the south was off limits, most notably Atlanta which was a big reason why he left for Sirius. He didn't have a single station from the Mississippi until nearly California. Considering where callers came from during the early days of Sirius it stands to reason that Howard was right and he could have done well in middle America and the South. I think that the high costs of his show was partly to blame for that though as for a low tier market it was $500k a quarter and for markets like Chicago or Detroit it was $2M which if you are not pulling in ad rates and listeners that will sink a station. Compare that to shows like Rush Limbaugh which effectively gives away the show but makes money by getting a piece of the local advertising as well as national commercials so it is in their best interest to be on as many stations as possible.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

I never took Bob & Tom seriously until now. I never thought I would be saying that in my lifetime, but here we are. Jesus. And the less Mancow we get, the better. Stern gets my thanks for that.

I kinda felt stupid for saying Drew & Mike could take on Stern, but now I don't. poo poo, does this mean that 'being local' has some basis in fact? I know Bob & Tom has been on the air forever around Detroit (in reality it's a Toledo rock station), but I didn't know they were THAT local.

Bob and Tom are pure garbage, always has been. I remember the first time someone started raving about them and how funny they were. It is the same shtick that Imus used in the 70s and 80s except worse. If you can make it through a hour of that garbage you either have nerves of steel or no sense of taste or humor.

Now with Mancow in the mid 90s when he was on 103.5 was the only Stern competitor that was as good if not better. It was when he left there to go to Q101 and lost most of his cast was when the show got awful. Imagine when Stern left WNBC he lost Robin, Fred and Jackie but kept Del' ABooey and Stuttering John that is basically what happened. By the time he went crazy conservative political he had be terrible for years.

I don't think being local means THAT much as MOST people want to be entertained and will gain news/traffic updates during breaks. Having top talent and good programing is more important, if you can do that with local talent you have a edge. Now I think you can go too far with satellite programing where you have 0 local and live talent. Many stations in the country don't have a DJ at all working at them which really hurts. Even when the guy or gal is awful I still appreciate hearing them say something stupid. It is important for talent to get out in the community as well. I know a lot of station promotions are awful but it is nice to be able to put a face to who you hear on the radio.

Basically success in radio is a complex beast. There aren't many in the industry that know what they hell they are doing anymore and talent is at a all time low. It will be interesting to see in 5 years where it will be.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Ether Frenzy posted:

Yeah this is the one time in Stern Show history that John wasn't the rear end in a top hat.

Budt I duhnt have anywheah to gawo!

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
Anyone remember what Star Trek actress Ralph was dating there for awhile? It popped in my head earlier but I can't remember who it was.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

prefect posted:

Jadzia Dax

(I will now Google to see if I was right.)

Yeah, her human name is Terry Farrell. :)

That was it. Man I remember that being so scandalous at the time.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Super Ninja Fish posted:

All the old Stern guys that aren't allowed back should make their own show together. Jackie, Artie, Stuttering John, Gilbert, etc..

I am honestly amazed that someone hasn't put this together already. Put it on in NY, PA, NJ and the surrounding area and even if it is bad it would still drive pretty solid ratings. I am sure it would drive Howard insane too. I can just hear his response too; the fake wishing them the best, spinning it as the stations are so desperate to get a piece of the show back that they will resort to this, complain about how no one contacted him before hand, etc. I am sure behind the scenes he would lose his poo poo though which sadly would be his fault.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Former Human posted:

Wouldn't that be true?

Not entirely, 3 guys with decades of radio experience and a well known comedian/actor all with a built in and similar following is gold to media platforms. You can't say that Stern made Artie or Gilbert as they were successful and well known before Howard and since, John as much as I hate to admit it was successful outside the show for a long, long time.

Sadly the only one who wasn't is Jackie which I have always wondered if Howard ever interfered with his career after leaving. Jackie should have been able to get a gig as a writer for drat near any comedy television show around at the very least if not had development deals thrown at him left and right since he left at the time when the networks were giving every comedian in the country it seemed like development deals for shows. With the stories of Howard interfering with someone else leaving before, John hiding the Tonight Show gig until the last minute along with Billy West seemingly having a grudge with Howard himself after leaving you can see a little pattern.

So while they have a Stern connection I wouldn't at all see this as getting a piece of the Stern Show back, I doubt it would even be anything akin to the same format. So Howard would be stretching the facts enough to make his own egotistical arguments akin to him bashing Gary or anyone else on the show for receiving or going to things because they are actually his or they are wanting something in return. He never understood that promotional people might want Baba Booey to show up at their movie screening as he is a known person, because of the show granted, but they are using him not Howard. Granted Howard got that way of thinking from his mother and I doubt he will ever change, it is kind of sad really going back and listening to old tapes and realizing where all his issues stem from exactly.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
You know I don't think there has ever been a person with less talent even been more successful than John. A stutterer who was on the biggest radio show in the world, hosted his own radio show for years, put out multiple albums and was the announcer for the biggest late night talk show.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

euphronius posted:

Yes lol

Didn't gange refuse to pay rent or something

No, the landlord found out that John wasn't living there anymore and wouldn't renew the lease so Gange and Grillo had to move. They threw a fit because they lost out on a cheap apartment in Manhattan and were wanting to bring lawyers into the mess. It was one of the few times John was actually not being a scumbag and was in the right.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

haljordan posted:

Stuttering John is even dumber than I thought for letting either of those nimrods anywhere near his place, though.

Well he got the place from Jackie originally. It was a good location and cheap rent. The apartment was garbage though. There was a E! Show doing a cribs with them. I believe the shower was in the kitchen? I imagine it was nice when you were doing a gig at night and had to at the show in the morning.

When John was getting serious with his now ex wife he bought a house out on Long Island if I remember right and spent most of his time there. So he let Grillo and Gange sublet. The problem was those two were loving morons and didn't want to leave when the landlord went to evict them.

If my memory serves me right I believe the landlord kicked everyone out to sell the building to a developer ultimately.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

haljordan posted:

Sorry to keep going back to this but Gange was so loving smug about the whole apartment situation. He was actually grinning while saying "You can't just throw me out ha ha." Little poo poo.

The thing was he was right but what the retards couldn't get through their skulls is that they were only loving over John by doing it.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
There has been a Stern thread in some form or fashion since I started on the forums back in 02-03. Prior to that I was one of the wackjobs on the usenet talking about Stern. God the Stern streamers and pirates stuck with Real Audio for far, far too long. I literally had to talk to a guy on the phone at one point and explain how to use Shoutcast. I am pretty sure I was the first one to make digital copies of the Stern PPV tapes as well. Oh the memories.

Probably my biggest regret is not being able to source enough pre-94 complete shows. I'd love some more 90-93 Stern.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Funny story, that back cover was supposed to be the front cover and title of the second book. That picture was taken at Donald Trump's wedding of all places and Trump gave the picture to Howard to use for free. It was about to go to press and the publisher got cold feet and they compromised on putting it on the back cover.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
That video is the first recent Stern media I have consumed in years. It is a fascinating look at exactly why I stopped listening to the show. I was a massive Stern fan as many in here remember. I know people who worked there previously who have privately told me about stuff like this over the years. It is something else to see it in real life so to speak.

Really this video spells out everything about why Howard isn’t relevant anymore. Focusing on being a worse Ellen isn’t a good career path. It is pretty obvious he was betting on getting a TV deal after AGT. That didn’t pan out and he has poisoned the well at being what he once was.

It is really sad. The man became Imus.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
:siren: IMUS IS DEAD :siren:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/12/27/arts/don-imus-dead.html

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Ether Frenzy posted:

I met Mark McGrath backstage once in like 2005 at a KROQ weenie roast or whatever they call it in and he was the nicest celeb ever, taking hundreds of pics with fans and generally being a good dude. So that's probably what he was doing in that tweet. He was dating Rachel Hunter at the time, I thought...

I knew Mark and the rest of the band a bit pre fame and right as they blew up. Super nice dude always which in the music scene they came up in was a rarity. Sugar Ray is a band that I never gave poo poo to since they were super nice guys and deserved the success they had. The fact that they were successful was a fluke and they never took it for granted means something.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

The only thing I remember about them was back in 98 or whenever they got big, my friend went out and bought all their albums and he was so loving pissed. Apparently they were a hardcore metal band that decided to change their entire style of music and began to put out happy upbeat elevator music. I hate the term "sell out" but that must have pissed off established Sugar Ray fans so much haha.

Floored was basically hard rock record except for Fly. Much like Incubus, Green Day and the RHCP they changed their sound completely to continue to sell records. Hell Smash Mouth is another band from that same time frame where the big single sounded nothing like the rest of the record and they completely changed their sound on the next record to chase popularity.

I know I could never do it but more power to those who can I guess.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Bonzo posted:

Howard wrote a chapter about him in Ms America. Basically back pain is all in your head. So is being gay.

That is Sarno. Different guy.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Zoben posted:

I listen to old Stern stuff at work and at the gym, helps to pass the time. I'm on 1994 right now so all sorts of stuff going on, especially as OJ just got caught. It's weird when you get stuff on there that is relevant to today's current events (minus all the obvious trump stuff) -- I just heard one where Howard goes "...And now we have Robin's God coming on..."

"...My "god? She's not my god, hahahaha, she's an inspirational speaker blah blah blah"

It was Marianne Williamson, and I guess I never knew that she had such a long career since I never heard of her before this year's race.

I wanted to start writing down some asides that were either just hilarious on-the-spot moments, or ones which are really prescient, but usually I'm too busy lifting weights like Gay KC

1993-1996 might be the the best era of the show ever. Basically until the movie comes out, then this start to slide some until Artie joins which is excellent until Artie starts to fall completely apart shortly after joining Sirius.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Zoben posted:

I don't have any years other than 94 in that range currently, but I agree about that being the pinnacle of the show, the stuff with Billy West and Jackie is just the best. There are some episodes where I'm laughing for almost 3 hours straight it seems -- relentlessly goofing on Gary's teeth, Stuttering John busting everyone's balls and Fred doing the imitation and tripping him up, everybody imitating Jackie (except Robin's impression which I hated), Jackie laugh drops during the news, etc. I'm a big Jackie fan apparently. In the context of the show he was perfect.

I'm also listening to the 2002 (I think) era online and it's when Artie was pretty fresh still and it shows -- he was genuinely laughing and obviously having a great time. Good fun :thumbsup:

There is some stuff that could never fly today during that era that still is hilarious, Marge Schott for example.

I still have never laughed harder in my life than Howard goofing on Louis Farrakhan’s speech the day after the Million Man March. I am sure it hasn’t aged well but I remember not being able to breathe I was laughing so hard when it was originally on.

Also goofing on Jackie is the greatest thing. When they go into depth about Jackie’s three houses, his lovely piece of wood in the jetty, cooking lobsters in a trash can. All gold.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Zoben posted:

Marge Schott was killer. I mean holy moly though, they really let the n-word fly on the show back then.

I loved Jackie stories and tearing him apart, but all told, it sounded like hanging out at one of his parties would have been super fun. Like the only guy on the show who liked to be social and live it up once in a while. Well, aside from Stuttering John but he was a totally classless fool -- I heard the one SJ interview where he goes up to Conan, when Conan was just starting and getting terrible ratings, so he was doing his whole goofing on celebs thing but Conan turned it around on him since he listened to the show, and was talking about SJ embarrassing Howard by smoking weed out in the open at a hotel or the like. I liked SJ's schtick on the show (d-d--d-d-ddid you evah fawht in the catcha's face?) but it was even better hearing somebody gently caress back with him.

Well when you go back and listen to a lot of the racial stuff from back then it is almost entirely ridiculing the racists. Like for example Daniel Carver was effectively on there to get made fun of him being a crazy racist.

And Howard really is an unsung hero of making homosexuality much more accepted by having gay people and subjects a part of his show since the 80s. He treated gay people no different than straight people which especially in the 80s and early 90s was a very rare thing.

I think the biggest thing about the show back then that is utterly gone now is that they had no problem goofing on anything or anyone. Like it is perfectly acceptable to goof on racists for being racists and to goof on Louis Farrakhan. With today’s political climate it is impossible for anyone to have the nuance to not take it the wrong way. It is an issue with comedy across the board. At some point I feel someone will start pushing the boundaries again. It is almost inevitable at this point.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

hanales posted:

I think Howard experienced later what Chappelle experienced on his show, which is people laughing at it for the wrong reasons. At some point “ironic” racism just kind of turned into racism, especially looking at the blow back from the 08 election. It’s funny when “you’re not supposed to say this”. It’s less funny when people are burning lynched Obama effigies.

I’m not saying stern is all that self reflective, but his management and people around him are, like Beth. So he turns the corner, dials stuff back over time, drops dudes like Gilbert who can’t be trusted to not run with the n word, and retreats into a safer style. And it’s fine, it’s worked out for him, he still makes a trillion dollars whether part of his fan base complains or not. Most of them still listen.

Look I go back and listen to stuff like billy doing Nelson Mandela, and it’s really funny but holy poo poo is it racist af, and nowadays it would be indistinguishable from something some channer would make and post to YouTube or twitter. Like a lot of the jokes aren’t that far from sals black haunted house bit.

I agree with a lot of this. I think that is something that happens to any sort of progressive art though, once it breaks through to the mainstream you have a lot of people who you are talking about become fans of your art. The Nirvana song "In Bloom" is basically about this. It is a double edged sword in many respects. Though I do feel like it is defeatist to just run from your art because the wrong people are taking it the wrong way. Alas that is an entirely different conversation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Johnny-on-the-Spot posted:

It was a different era, but yeah, some people took more glee in it than others. At least they made it obvious how ugly it could be.

I think you hit a nail on the head there. In the 90s you had people who actively remembered the civil rights movement still around and vividly remembered how ugly it could be. Many of these people are now gone. We have people who actively encourage racism to score political points.

I think the bigger issue with race today is those that are effected most by racism collectively don’t have the will today to fight against it like they did in the 50s and 60s. It seems anymore the people most sensitive and/or offended by anything dealing with race are the “woke” white people.

I realized something a few weeks ago the kind of blew my mind. The “cancel culture” is basically using the playbook from the right wing from the 80s and 90s. You had all of those WASP women going on TV being outraged about metal, rap, Married with Children, the Simpsons, Roseanne and the list goes on and on. Hell you had those same people go after Stern for decades. Society has become much more liberal in terms of entertainment so the right lost their leverage there.

It really does seem to be that people seem to not be able to understand the concept that you can talk and joke about race without being a racist. In fact being open and honest with humor is a good way to be able to deal with problems in general. Hell black comedians have addressed and dealt with issues within the black community for decades using comedy. The fact that race has become such a taboo subject in general that many comedians don’t feel comfortable addressing it at all means we are missing out on perspective and dialog from a generation that at this time we sorely need.