Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp

KKKLIP ART posted:

Is there a way to just do an online only subscription? I'd rather not have to deal with my receiver if I don't have to, but I have a feeling they don't do online only do they? I have a SIMS CARD so I should be able to get radio everywhere according to Howard

e: Nevermind!

rawdog pozfail fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jan 5, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp
I agree that they desperately need someone to fill the vacuum Artie left. I seriously can't believe the chair has been empty this long. I get that Howard probably has a lot of mixed-feelings about the Artie situation and probably doesn't want to replace him in fear that it might effect him, but the show is just suffering on so many levels in his stead it's ridiculous.

Axe made the attack dog point, which is spot on. Artie never cared about offending anybody (who wasn't famous) and it made all the whack-packer interactions great. Jeff the Drunk, Eric, Riley, Blue Iris, all so much better with Artie.

Besides that, though, I think the show suffers from them just needing someone fresh, rear end in a top hat or not. Someone besides Robin who has interesting opinions to just talk to. Artie added great lines to the show but he was also that fresh thing for a long while- Howard would always be able to go to him and do 30 minutes of 'What Artie's Eating', 'What Artie's Betting', 'What's Artie Taking?', 'Holy poo poo Look at Artie', or the classic 'Artie's Out Sick Today.' It got to the point where some of us were sick of it, and people were calling for an end to the Artie show.

I think it was better than what we've got now, though, and if Howard were to allow any comedian to sit in on more than one consecutive show at a time it would bring a much-needed breath of fresh air as Howard began dissecting their personal lives and integrating them into the show in different ways.

rawdog pozfail fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Jan 5, 2011

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp

Graviton v2 posted:

Listen to 2002 again man, Stuttering John and KC are still there and what I find real intersting listening to is whenever Howard makes a drugs or drink reference Artie has something to say.

We know know for a fact the man is on the horse during this period, its real intersting listening after the fact.

Is this in response to me? Because I agree with you and don't see how my post addressed those things, but the "man" makes me think you're responding to me.

Seriously though, it's amazing to me how good a bullshitter he was. It was just completely second-nature to him. It really does stick out how he always had something to say about drugs, and he always had the perfect "Yeah I know about this stuff but I'm not doing it" tone and included a "I had a friend who" or "I've been off X for X" or "I did X once" qualifier.

Didn't we learn that Artie fabricated entire conversations on the air about the therapist and how he hated it, when he actually never went or stopped going after a week or something?

Goddamn he was hosed up.

rawdog pozfail fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Jan 5, 2011

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp

AxeManiac posted:

I just heard the monday rant about his trip, that was great stuff.

That reminds me, I was laughing my rear end off when he kept going on about the ants.

"Oh so sorry, so sorry!"

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp

sedative posted:

The latest episode of Vegucating Robin is appropriately titled "A Brand New Tool in the Kitchen"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8se6Z4-6v8

Check out her fake laugh that starts at 1:58 and ends at 2:09 only when the camera cuts away.

Holy poo poo what a trainwreck. Howard isn't giving her poo poo for this? Not only is she way too hammed up displaying no natural charisma whatsoever, but the show is a technical disaster. Shaky camera and sporadic cuts- on a COOKING SHOW! The easiest thing to frame in the world! Just do a wide shot that shows the entire cooking landscape and allows people to see exactly how the chef is preparing everything, from prep to finish. Zoom in for detail or if there's actually a good moment between the hosts, that's it. Instead the camera is all over the place and they change angles for the sake of keeping it dynamic or something and that laugh jesus

rawdog pozfail fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jan 5, 2011

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp

Qaz Kwaz posted:

There's no way in hell they use touchscreens.

Yeah. We'd have heard references to the physical hilarity whenever they go crazy with the drops. Imagine the visual of Fred doing one of his drop jams over a song via a touchscreen.

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp
Hahaha Howard actually gets twitter and is writing some pretty good stuff. I'd be elated if Howard could get over trying to be entertaining all the time and just wrote his inane thoughts constantly. It'd give them tons of stuff to talk about on the show.

quote:

HowardStern: You haven't lived until you have enjoyed a steaming bowl of rice n shine with a banana . I'm having a party.
9 hours ago

rawdog pozfail fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Feb 5, 2011

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp
He's already figured out that he needs to paste what he's responding to (unlike Robin) and how to retweet and such. The real test is if he can pay more attention to the rear end-kissing tweets than the inevitable trolls.

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp

Grabulon posted:

So when you say Howard "gets Twitter", what does that even mean?

It means he understands how to use it to just dump random thoughts and have public chats with people. Some try to always have awesome one-liners constantly, or exclusively use it for promotion.

Robin's a perfect example of someone who doesn't get it- http://twitter.com/#!/rqui

Restating the same thing several times, boring promotions, and responding to people without retweeting so it's out of context and useless. Just scroll down her page and scroll down Howard's, that's why he gets it and she doesn't.

rawdog pozfail fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Feb 6, 2011

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp

moregontrail posted:

I actually think that Robin's twitter isn't half bad. She always has some good one liners on the show. It's only when you are exposed to long doses of her that you realize how annoying and far gone she really is.

It's just bad in a technical sense. Redundant, and she refuses to copypaste the tweets she's responding too. And the promotion.

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp
I was listening to some shows from 2004 and this stood out so much that I had to upload it for you guys

http://tindeck.com/listen/osxe

May 25th 2004, Howard interviews Tom Arnold and Tom spends 10 minutes of the interview just grilling Artie while giving him an on-air intervention and tells him "Something bad's going to happen and you're going to screw things up", etc. It's shortly after Artie's Vegas charades where he was completely smashed the entire trip and is incredibly interesting to listen to in retrospect.

It's also just a great interview. Here's the whole show if anyone wants it, I hate it when I have a single chunk of a show I'm enjoying, and they interview Rodney Dangerfield right after Tom http://tindeck.com/listen/wfqi .

rawdog pozfail fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Feb 12, 2011

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp

Mr Lance Murdock posted:

Howard doing a Private Parts commentary on twitter.

This is loving great. Howard seems to be in love with the instant feedback he receives from Twitter, 1 guy told him to cool it so he said "Ok I thought people enjoyed it geeze" in a retweet and then when hundreds of people started screaming "NO KEEP GOING gently caress THAT GUY" he re-tweeted a few of those and kept on truckin'. It's totally feeding his ego.

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp
Howard's going crazy with the retweeting

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp
mary went on the street in her pregnant costume and smoked a cig to mess with peoples heads. preg lady smoking .she got dirty looks
less than a minute ago via web

this scene with mary..there is no making out or grabbing of the breast indicated...i went for it anyway
2 minutes ago via web

Great stuff.

e:

the monologue on the plane about carol alt was spontaneous. I just started talking into the camera and there was only one take
less than 5 seconds ago via web

Holy poo poo that's hard to believe.

rawdog pozfail fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Feb 13, 2011

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp

chiz posted:

not too hard, I mean it sounds just like him. :)

I mean it's just incredible that he broke the fourth wall out of nowhere like that and it still fit so perfectly into the movie. It's such a fitting end to the scene/the entire film, and says a lot about Howard's genius and how much of a hand he had in making that movie great.

rawdog pozfail fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Feb 13, 2011

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp

Djarum posted:

Also I have it on good authority that all this publicity about Howard on Twitter is because of both Sirius PR and Howard's publicist pushing it. It is all a part of this PR blitz to bring attention that Howard is on the Sirius/XM app.

All the publicity, or Howard actually sitting down and tweeting? Because there's no way that Howard's on Twitter for any reason other than he's bored and enjoys it. Howard's always gotten off on audience interaction and Twitter has a much higher ratio of kissasses:trolls than forums and the like.

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp

Shes Not Impressed posted:

"Tons of celebs" are not equal to Howard Stern. The guy is funny and provocative so people are of course going to see what he has to say.

And if his schtick is being open and honest, then it's still a schtick. Why should he reveal PR and business plans on the air? He's been honest about doing these talk shows simply because Sirius wants him to promote the apps, so I'm not sure what you're getting at anyway.

Yeah, obviously PR people have their jobs for a reason and if Stern being on Twitter is what's going on then they're going to run with it and try to get it publicized, but a lot of what's being written about Howard using Twitter is probably due to the fact that he's high profile and actually has things to say.

Howard makes a living entertaining people live on the radio by sharing his thoughts and such. Twitter gives people a public forum to share their thoughts and such, so obviously Howard signing up is a bigger deal than actor/musician/talking head #104913049. People don't just want to hear what's going on in Howard's personal life, they want to hear his thoughts and opinions period. The same can't be said for the vast majority of twitter...ers?

Howard's the biggest radio personality there's ever been or will be. Even if his influence is dwindling, him getting publicity for being on Twitter isn't exactly a head-scratcher, and the Private Parts commentary thing was newsworthy on its own. Given how many TV stars are on Twitter I'm surprised that live-casting commentary during their shows hasn't become a thing yet.

rawdog pozfail fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Feb 15, 2011

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp

AltronHGX posted:

Actually, how could he kill himself? Other than pills is there any thing he can even do to harm himself with all his disabilities?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vP2_3fOEhMM#t=1m27s

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp

quote:

Watching american idol. I have gas but I'm holding it in out of respect for my wife.
about 2 hours ago via Twitter for iPad

quote:

Beth left the room but I don't dare
about 2 hours ago via Twitter for iPad

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp

Kelly posted:

Speaking of Gary and the city council, did anyone catch the news report they did about it? They played clips of one woman giving Gary kind of hard time about the show and some of the things he had done. His defense? "Well, you see, I am playing a character..."

They actually addressed this on the show, Robin said "Wait just a second, when I said I was playing a character you guys gave me endless grief!" and Gary responded "Yeah but I actually admit that it was total bullshit", he was just trying to say anything he could to get through the process as quickly and uncontroversially as possible.

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp

Vakal posted:

I'm looking back and forth between the two right now and I cannot stop laughing.

Also I loved the bit with the crazy webcam chick today, Richard and Sal's calls are still highlights of the show for me and when they started trolling her in-person I was in heaven. It really reminded me of how much Howard's lost his bite though, she kept saying "I'm not going to answer that!" and "This isn't the sex show!" whenever he'd go into her personal life, and I kept waiting for Howard to go "Well why the gently caress did you come in here if you're not going to answer anything? This is the sex show. This is MY show!" but he just sorta let it pass by even though it happened 5-6 times.

Speaking of Richard and Sal calls, that one where Richard called a talk-show about growing up in a haunted house where he started listing all the spooky stuff he saw was incredible. It's such a simple concept, but his delivery and how the hosts hang with him until he finally gets absurd just kills me. Same as the time he called Tradio with a device that measured everything known to man. I was entering class while listening and nearly had an aneurysm stifling my laughter.

"...and ghoulies, and spiders, and bigfoot, and poltergeists, and sharks, and MexicansOK thanks for the call!"

rawdog pozfail fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Mar 2, 2011

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp
Holy poo poo I forgot about all those other list calls, yeah those get me more than anything. I uploaded the most recent one from this week, it's a multi-segment call and and Richard does his thing after Sal's first bit

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkQ0-53p3sY

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp

ChubbyEmoBabe posted:

topless

t-o-p-l-e-s-s

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp

ziglol posted:

I've noticed Fred's been kinda vocal with his 'fake' laugh lately, been mixing it up too.

Speaking of Fred, he's been consistently off the ball for the last couple of weeks. He uses far fewer drops than he used to and they're oftentimes late or awkward. If you listen to old shows you get the sense that Fred is inside Howard's brain, pulling out appropriate sounds the instant Howard went off on some random tangent, but not so much anymore.

It pains me to say it, too, because I absolutely adore Fred- but now it seems that even he is taking it easy :smith:

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp

-Atom- posted:

Good mornin Howard ya hook nosed jew bastard!

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp
The computer girl who sits in the artie chair is terrible any time they try to extend it past a one-liner. Get someone who can actually type, christ.

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp

FogHelmut posted:

Howard should pay JD more than he pays Ralph.

This makes me want to call up and ask "Who do you think works harder, Ralph or JD?"

And then when Howard says "JD, of course, that kid works harder than almost anyone I know." I can ask "Now how much more do you think Ralph gets paid than JD?" just to hear him bullshit his way through a "Well JD doesn't actually work for me"

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp

Streebs posted:

Every day before the news they play a Robin parody song then Robin starts talking and Fred interrupts her with the Guatemala music and now the new music (with the volume turned way up) and completely cuts her off. Every single day. I laugh my rear end off every time because it's such a dick move.

It slowly got louder until Robin finally acknowledged it, too. Started off quiet enough for Robin to completely ignore it and continue on with her cast, and as the weeks went by it got louder and louder until it was loving blaring and Robin was forced to pause and wait for it to finish, sometimes saying "Oh come on" or something. Makes me laugh every single day as well.

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp
I went to ComicCon Phoenix this weekend and snagged all 69 episodes of the Channel Nine shows on DVD as well as the US Open Sores PPV event. I'm in loving heaven. The US Open Sores thing has tons of behind-the-scenes footage and '95 Howard & Robin commenting on the '89 PPV event and how awful it was and god I love it

Celastine playing the national anthom on the keybord with her tongue was one of the most horrifying/incredible things I've ever seen

rawdog pozfail fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Jun 1, 2011

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp

:laffo: Sal & Richard banging a terminal chick, Benjy & Ronnie harassing a female guest in the back office, Lisa G complaining about the 'takes shits at work' song- this is loving fantastic.

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp

chiz posted:

ok I don't know what this is. I guess you are a fan of hers.

I want to think that he wouldn't buy into her bullshit persona thing.

I want him to make her cry and ask if she's done anal.

Uh his point is that no matter how much Howard doesn't buy into her bullshit persona that's what he's going to get, and he's spot on. Did you watch the Letterman interview? It'd be the same thing- short, suggestive, bullshit answers that carry on the 'Gaga mystique' she's going for, which just comes across to us as annoying and stupid. Howard would be asking her about her life and trying to get her to expand upon some interesting fact about her upbringing from his notes and she'd be answering as lady gaga the character and it would just be harrable. That's my guess anyway, I'd still like to hear her on the show to see if Howard could break through the character eventually, but Snark's point was that she likely won't budge from it.

And the 'open sexuality' thing means that she wouldn't bat an eye when Howard asked her if she did anal. Or she'd stay in-character and do the annoying cutesy "That's very inappropriate for you to ask" and ugh. Same reason he generally doesn't have hacky character comedians on as a rule of thumb- most of the interview is dedicated to breaking through the character which just annoys the poo poo out of Howard.

rawdog pozfail fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Jun 6, 2011

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp

beergod posted:

The 1 less day every other week (or so) makes such a huge difference. It feels like theres no show left at all.

See, I'm actually enjoying the "This day in Howard History" and the Stern shuffle so much that I don't mind it at all. I'm loving these old bits. Listening to 1982 Howard is weird and compelling as hell.

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp
He's had Paris Hilton's mom on before. 2006 I think, when she was in a stupid fued with her reality TV friend. It was an incredibly boring interview, with Howard asking "Well aren't you embarrassed, do you feel you went wrong" and such and Mrs. Hilton going "She's just like any other girl, she calls me up crying sometimes because of the mean things they say in public" bla bla bla.

I'm going from 2000-2008 in chronological order and am just nearing the end of 2006 ok.

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp
I'm 2 hours into today's show and this is the best one in months. I loving love when Benjy goes out and gets tape for the show, and the setup leading to Howard marching down to Alex Bennet's studio was gold.

Try to catch the show from the very beginning if you can, the Benjy montage / discussion is great. When Howard leaves Alex's show Robin and Benjy start having a conversation with them and Benjy immediately starts hitting on the hot cohost with his schtick, I love it.

e: Alex Bennett, not Jones

rawdog pozfail fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Jun 20, 2011

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp

Former Human posted:

I wish that would happen.

Did I get the names mixed up? He basically did, though it was a dud with Alex being far kinder in person than when he was ranting about Benjy

e: Adurr Alex Bennett not Alex Jones..talk about a fuckin' no name. I loved Howard's rant about all the noname no-ratings talk radio shows. He seems really pissed at the way Sirius is treating him and it's translating into some great angry Howard rants.

rawdog pozfail fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jun 20, 2011

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp
Artie was truly a fan of a show and often acted as the voice of the audience, I agree that the chair desperately needs to be filled and am quite honestly surprised that Howard genuinely doesn't seem to care that it's obviously dampening the show. Not having that extra voice, I mean. And Fred seems to be getting senile or something, there was one point during the Evil Dave bit where Howard was like "Fred don't you have something to play for this?" referring to every time Evil Dave would drop a bomb on the conversation, and he was totally right. There's often silence where Fred's clips used to light up the show, and the lack of that other voice- ugh. I really enjoy listening to old shows more than the live broadcasts now and it's depressing :smith:

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp
Yeah I've been listening to shows from 2005 (leading up to sirius) and it's making me miss the hell out of Artie. Howard's probably too hardheaded to admit that the show's suffering from his absence and have him back, though.

e: grammar

rawdog pozfail fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Jul 7, 2011

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp
Gary brought up that his son wants the new Kanye CD and he doesn't know where he should go to buy it.

Howard: Where would you go to even buy a CD these days? Everyone downloads off of itunes!
Robin: Well you can still go to a barns and noble, or a borders...though borders is closing, haha. Where will you go?

Meanwhile nearly every store that sells electronics in the known universe has a rack of CDs at checkout. I'm not usually bothered by the 'cast members are out of touch' moments but this one was just ridiculous, as if not a single member of the show knows that places like walmart or target or, gently caress, grocery stores sell CDs?

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp

Evil Agita posted:

I used to love the midget before Fratto got all up in his business and made him a fake. :(

Me too, but now the bit's just morphed into how pathetic, delusional and transparent the little gently caress is, where as he used to just be a delusional little gently caress with a funny voice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp
I'm loving the interview with the screenwriter who looks like Howard. The dude's such a whack job, every answer he gives is insanely long winded and full of pointless details and he wrote a self-insert screenplay called "Becoming Howard" in the hopes that he'll get publicity from his one appearance on the show and that Howard will actually be in his movie when he doesn't even listen to the show :psyduck:

Howard's just so hosed in the head because the guy apparently looks a lot like him and wears fruity outfits while going to a lot of the same places Howard does, and running into other famous people. It's just great how Howard gets more and more bothered by the whole thing.

e: When they asked how old his kids were he asked if they wanted to see pictures, he's just such an 'old guy' haha

e2: Holy poo poo, they keep him around after the break because Howard's obsessed with how the guy's identical to him and that he frequents the hamptons and now they're going to try to trick Dave Navarro, I love it

rawdog pozfail fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Aug 11, 2011