Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
What's the CPU core config for the six-core R5 Ryzen chips? Is it 3+3 or 4+2 or 5+1 or what?

The R5 1600X looks very tempting to finally upgrade from my 2500K but I'm going to wait for motherboards and motherboard bios' to mature first.

spasticColon fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Apr 13, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
I was also bent on getting 32g of 3200 memory for my upgrade from a 2500k so more waiting for me too.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

spasticColon posted:

What's the CPU core config for the six-core R5 Ryzen chips? Is it 3+3 or 4+2 or 5+1 or what?

The R5 1600X looks very tempting to finally upgrade from my 2500K but I'm going to wait for motherboards and motherboard bios' to mature first.

Both 1600x and 1600 are 3+3 the 1500x and 1400 are 2+2.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Both 1600x and 1600 are 3+3 the 1500x and 1400 are 2+2.

Heh so the 1500x and 1400 are kinda like the old Core 2 Quad chips in that they're double dual-core.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Seamonster posted:

I was also bent on getting 32g of 3200 memory for my upgrade from a 2500k so more waiting for me too.

Same, though at this point, I may be building a pair of R5 boxes with RX 570s for the stepbrothers instead of the doubleheaded R7 monster originally dreamed up.

(I spoil those two loving rotten.)

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Same, though at this point, I may be building a pair of R5 boxes with RX 570s for the stepbrothers instead of the doubleheaded R7 monster originally dreamed up.

(I spoil those two loving rotten.)

getting them 1500s or 1600s?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
1500X or 1600, I'm not decided yet. 1600X not a big enough step up over the 1600 on the price/perf scale to warrant the stretch, imo. Something around the $800 mark per box, when all is said and done.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Apr 14, 2017

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

SwissArmyDruid posted:

1500X or 1600, I'm not decided yet. 1600X not a big enough step up over the 1600 on the price/perf scale to warrant the stretch, imo. Something around the $800 mark per box, when all is said and done.

1600 has a bit more legs and with 16 gigs of ram they should be good for 4+ years on cpu/mobo/ram.

edit:
looked to the newegg and found this combo, sadly 1 per customer.
https://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.3468084

wargames fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Apr 14, 2017

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Have any links handy for 1600 vs. 1600X? I've been digging for a few minutes but so far nothing that compares the two directly. Particularly interested in Blender perf.

Macksy
Oct 20, 2008
So what's the consensus on the 4 cores?

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Frametime seems more consistent then i5, even overclocked, max frames are lower, single core performance is lower, multithreading better then i5's.

I'd get one, my main priority is game smoothness and I don't run any intensive single threaded apps.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Obsurveyor posted:

Have any links handy for 1600 vs. 1600X? I've been digging for a few minutes but so far nothing that compares the two directly. Particularly interested in Blender perf.

The only two guys that I've seen with the 1600 and 1600x side by side is NCIX Tech Tips: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3rSg3WehOk and Tech Deals: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3rSg3WehOk neither have blender (that I can recall) but Cinebench stuff , a handbrake, and a 7 ZIP comparison.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
Interesting, Ian Cuttress from Anandtech is in a discussion on Twitter that AMD's Ryzen memory controller was a licensed IP block from an outside vendor, not developed internally. This is why they're dealing with so many optimization challenges.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

The only two guys that I've seen with the 1600 and 1600x side by side is NCIX Tech Tips: and Tech Deals:

Thanks! I would have never found these because videos. You posted the same video twice but I found the other one.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Wasn't this known to be a rambus design? I couldve sworn I'd read that before launch or in a launch article.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Risky Bisquick posted:

Wasn't this known to be a rambus design? I couldve sworn I'd read that before launch or in a launch article.

That was a topic of lengthy discussion, idk how someone following zen could have missed it.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Risky Bisquick posted:

The ghost of RAMBUST haunts us to this day :zombie:

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

Obsurveyor posted:

Thanks! I would have never found these because videos. You posted the same video twice but I found the other one.

Oh very sorry about that. Hardward Unboxed just did a very similar one today talking about whether the 1600x is worth it or not. There is a fair amount of overlap between the other two and this one, but he does go into a bit of the OC'ing as well. Unfortunately though there doesn't appear to be a whole lot of Blender stuff out there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4_4Tpa_cIQ

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Oh very sorry about that. Hardward Unboxed just did a very similar one today talking about whether the 1600x is worth it or not. There is a fair amount of overlap between the other two and this one, but he does go into a bit of the OC'ing as well. Unfortunately though there doesn't appear to be a whole lot of Blender stuff out there.

Ooh nice, thanks for the update. It's weird because Anandtech's i5 comparison talks about all the processors, benchmarks everything... except the 1600. Quite annoying.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Potato Salad posted:

That was a topic of lengthy discussion, idk how someone following zen could have missed it.
There was a brief rumor of it in August because of a post on a Chinese site but it was never discussed in the mainstream.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

What's up with memory prices anyway? The same stuff I bought 6 months ago is 55% more expensive today and prices in general seem up from then. Thinking I should just pull 32GB out of my machine and use it on the new one, rather than drop up to $175 on freaking 16GB.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

Obsurveyor posted:

What's up with memory prices anyway? The same stuff I bought 6 months ago is 55% more expensive today and prices in general seem up from then. Thinking I should just pull 32GB out of my machine and use it on the new one, rather than drop up to $175 on freaking 16GB.

Think a bunch of fabs are undergoing retooling or something.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
Fabs are retooling or whatever. Both ram and SSDs are going up in price due to shortages.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Obsurveyor posted:

Demand is outstripping supply right now with the move to DDR4 and it can take years for new production lines to be built or old DDR3 production lines to be converted to DDR4 production.

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Welp, I guess I'll be upgrading my tired RX-6300 workstation to an R5 or lower end R7 sometime this fall.

+- ten frames difference in games doesn't really matter to me, but video encoding and compilers taking advantage of all of the cores is extremely my poo poo.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Obsurveyor posted:

Toshiba tried to get into nuclear energy and failed. The Westinghouse subsidiary filed for bankruptcy protection, but it has severely injured the parent company itself. Their DRAM and NAND businesses are likely to be sold off to its competitors. Combined with the usual demand outstripping supply, you can expect it to get even worse in the fall.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Apr 14, 2017

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Toshiba tried to get into nuclear energy and failed. The Westinghouse subsidiary filed for bankruptcy protection, but it has severely injured the parent company itself. Their DRAM and NAND businesses are likely to be sold off to its competitors. Combined with the usual demand outstripping supply, you can expect it to get even worse in the fall.
The NAND business is likely to be sold to Western Digital, who have pretty much all but HGST'd Sandisk (the X400 is now out of production)

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I couldn't have predicted how badly the Westinghouse bankruptcy affected Toshiba, but really, they overpayed like hell for it. Solar's most recent surge just absolutely put a stake into nuclear, though Fukushima certainly didn't help. But solar killed nuclear just the same way it's killing coal, faster than reams and decades of EPA regulation ever could: By being cheaper and lower-effort.

In any event, I *did* say back in January that commodity DRAM prices were on the rise again, and if you knew you were going to be building a new computer post-Ryzen/Kaby Lake launch, you might as well be scraping deals for memory between then and now. I feel slightly prophetic over that. =3

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Apr 14, 2017

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

SwissArmyDruid posted:

But solar killed nuclear just the same way it's killing coal

Not at all? Coal's dying because of cheap natural gas, which is even relatively cheap to swap existing coal plants over to.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

So when I do plan on building a Ryzen R5 1600X system late summer/early fall I might end up spending as much money on the RAM as I do on the CPU itself? The system would primarily be for gaming and internet (no game streaming) so I would hope 16GB would be enough RAM. I still have only 8GB RAM in my current 2500K rig (upgraded to faster DDR3-2133 for $70 to stretch this system out for a bit longer) and I have yet to max out my 8GB of RAM but then again I never have Chrome with 100+ tabs open in the background.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

fishmech posted:

Not at all? Coal's dying because of cheap natural gas, which is even relatively cheap to swap existing coal plants over to.

I mean the _most recent_ trend towards solar. Gas has been super cheap for about a decade now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
There's a new thread now. Only a little incredibly late.

• Locked thread