Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Are there any credible sales numbers by CPU for laptops?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

angrytech posted:

God drat it why do I feel like I'll end up going from Athlon64 -> Piledriver based on the name alone. :smith:
I've actually been meaning to ask: where do these companies get the names for their processors?

Intel uses a map.

quote:

Intel has historically named integrated circuit (IC) development projects after geographical names of towns, rivers or mountains near the location of the Intel facility responsible for the IC. Many of these are in the American West, particularly in the state of Oregon (where most of Intel's CPU projects are designed; see well-known project codenames). As Intel's development activities have expanded, this nomenclature has expanded to Israel and India. Some older codenames refer to celestial bodies. There is a pattern with recent desktop processors. Since Core 2 all quad-core desktop processors tend to end in "field" (e.g. Kentsfield, Bloomfield, Lynnfield) and most desktop dual-cores end in "dale" (e.g. Wolfdale, Allendale, Clarksdale), with the exception of Arrandale, a mobile processor codename for the mobile i3/i5/i7s. Platforms consisting of a CPU plus a Southbridge end in "trail" (e.g. Bone Trail, Skull Trail, Pine Trail). Server processors for two sockets now end in "town" (e.g. Harpertown, Gainestown, Gulftown), while server processors for four or more sockets end in "ton" (Tigerton, Dunnington, Beckton).

Intel maintains a website http://ark.intel.com/#codenamesall that lists the codenames for all publicly released products.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Maxwell Adams posted:

TechReport has done a quick test on Bulldozer thread scheduling. It looks like they had the same idea I had, where you set up different patterns of core affinities and see what happens.

Okay, so when will Tom's or Anand re-run their benchmarks with these options?

Are there any cases where disabling HT on the latest Intel processors increases performance?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

trandorian posted:

If you're still running XP SP2 or earlier, the OS' scheduler has problems handling hyperthreading correctly, if I remember right. An edge case to be sure.

I thought there was something about the first Pentium 4's with HT's basically performed like poo poo on single-threaded stuff because the cache was effectively split in half.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Mathhole posted:

bulldozer was already rocking the house with multi-threaded integer arithmetic, so if applications and/or operating systems can just figure out how to keep FP arithmetic from sharing cores, we'll be in business.

I need another 6% jump in AMD stock to be profitable again.

I got out of it the other day, then it decided to jump up 20% :argh:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Ugh.

Why can't it be like this all the time?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

AMD is going to layoff 1400 workers

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/amd-to-ax-1400-workers-in-cost-cutting-move-2011-11-03?link=MW_latest_news

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

VERTiG0 posted:

Wow, these new desktop FX chips are garbage eh? Sad, the $130 FX-4100 had some potential to be a serious overclocker (apparently very easy to get to 4.6GHz with no aftermarket cooling, and 5GHz is relatively easy to attain with some basic gear) but even then they'd still get stomped...

There are a couple tasks where they are close to the i7 but for 90% of your every day tasks they aren't much faster (or even slower) than the X6

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I think people are missing the fact they did increase performance in a limited set of tasks by quite a bit. Even if the 'general' performance didn't increase, and is in some cases slightly slower. Remember the Pentium Pro?

quote:

8. What specific or general computing roles do you see BD excelling in? For instance virtualization, Windows 8, solitaire, etc?
:haw:

quote:

Adam Kozak, Product Marketing Manager, AMD - We’re seeing great results at stock frequencies with HD content creation, file processing, image processing, and high resolution gaming environments. Most of these applications are multi-core aware, and some have even begun to use new instructions to further enhance performance on AMD FX processor systems.
True.

quote:

10. We have seen in some benchmarks that this cpu can be a multithreaded beast. I understand that Battlefield 3 and future games will use multithreaded DirectX11 drivers. Do you believe that Zambezi will have any performance advantages over the competition in this area given the extreme multithreaded nature of the chip? And are you working with Dice and or other Developers on similar optimizations for future game and multimedia titles?

Gabe Gravning, Senior Product Marketing Manager, AMD - The question is not "will this transition to multithreaded applications happen" but rather "how soon?" AMD drove this same type of inflection point in the industry with 64-bit computing and APU platforms.

It’s clear that application multithreading, including the multithreading advancements in DirectX 11 are the future, and the "Bulldozer" architecture is the bridge to that future. We see a great opportunity for AMD to lead the industry to a multi-threaded future, just as we have in the past. That will most definitely require tight collaboration with the software developer community.

Nice try, but does anyone thing multi-threaded enhancements in DX11 are really going to improve things that much? It almost reminds me of 3DNow! and the K6, where you'd see about 30% improvement but only in the couple games with support.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Agreed posted:

If AMD gets out of the desktop market, where does that leave Intel? I know we talked about how recent and current administrations haven't exactly been heavy on enforcement of monopoly busting but come on, if Intel has -no- competitors in the desktop market and absolutely marginal competition in servers, do they just... get away with it? Or what?

What are the sheer odds that a startup could make an x86 chip?

Are they greater than another platform coming along (ARM+Linux or something) and helping tablets/etc kill the desktops? Will desktop PC's remain a niche for content developers, power users, and business computing?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

It's a shame we don't have companies like Cyrix or NexGen around anymore.

At least we still have VIA!

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Are they making it, or just re-branding it?

How are they going to make any money when the poo poo is like $1/GB?

I could see the AMD brand of RAM being successful, especially with people who build AMD systems. But anyone who's not stupid knows memory is just memory.

If you're going to spend an extra $30 for some AMD ULTRA HYPER RADEON RAM so your Llano box is faster, why not just put it towards an i5 or something?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Beef posted:

They are rebranding, simply adding marketing bullshit to Kingstone RAM.

It's not marketing bullshit.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Alereon posted:

Yes but paying extra for AMD-branded memory versus getting some G.Skill RAM, on the other hand, is not worth it. It's worth it for AMD since they just license their brand and get the cash money they desperately need for no effort, but I can only see it being worthwhile for consumers if you get pretty killer Newegg combo deals.

Just like there's no benefit to buying that over the plain-jane RAM rated for the same speed.

Did they announce prices? I don't think they would price it any higher than gamer RAM with taped on red heatsinks anyway.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Faceless Clock posted:

That's just with Llano. Sandy Bridge doesn't see much benefit from faster RAM.

AMD is the one who's....oh nevermind.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Abe Froman posted:

Does this apply equally to the A6 in a laptop or is it just for the A8 in a desktop?

I think the E350 is limited to 1066MHz or 1366MHz because of the frontside bus.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-cpu-apu-athlon-phenom-Llano-Bulldozer,14173.html

quote:

According to a post over at Nordic Hardware, only one CPU of the lineup is still shipping. We were not able to confirm the report, which is based on an unknown information source, but we do know that there are still plenty of Athlon II and Phenom II processors in the channel and we hear that vendorshave sufficient supply for the Christmas season.

Nordic Hardware states that no more Athlons and Phenoms are sent into the market, with the exception of the 3.0 GHz Phenom II X4 960T.

If the report is accurate, the transition of GlobalFoundries' Fab 1 in Dresden may the reason that shipments of the Phenom II and Athlon II have been stopped. It is obvious that AMD is moving toward higher margin products such as Llano, which are selling like hotcakes right now.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Shaocaholica posted:

So is BD AMDs Netburst? Or is it better/worse than that analogy?

More like their Pentium Pro. Huge die size, slower on existing code but faster on code optimized for it and geared more towards future code.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Shaocaholica posted:

As far as consoles go, I'm more interested in seeing how much memory the developers are asking for and how much they actually get. Working with 512mb for both graphics and data is really outdated. I would love to see next gen consoles go 64bit just so developers can port over to x86-64 and ditch 32bit builds altogether.

What percentage of gamers are still using a 32-bit OS?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Look out, Ultrabooks.

quote:

AMD aiming to undercut Ultrabooks with $500 Trinity ultrathins

AMD has been showcasing laptops based on its upcoming Trinity processor at CES this week. The company is hoping to bring thin and light Ultrabook-style machines—though AMD calls them "ultrathins," to avoid Intel's trademarks—to market for as little as $500. This would substantially undercut Intel-powered Ultrabooks, which currently start at $800. Intel hopes to reduce the Ultrabook entry price to $700 by the end of the year.

Each Trinity chip will contain a CPU and a GPU. The CPU will be a second generation Bulldozer core, codenamed Piledriver. The GPU portion will be based on AMD's Southern Islands architecture, which made its debut late in 2011 with the launch of the Radeon HD 7970.

There will be two lines of Trinity chips; low power 17 W ones for ultrathins, and higher power 35 W ones for standard laptops. The ultrathin-oriented chips will have about the same performance as AMD's current Llano A-series chips, but with half the power draw. The high-power chips will have a 25 percent faster CPU and a 50 percent faster GPU.

AMD did not say when the chips would be released, but the company intends to disclose more about its release strategy at its financial analyst meeting in February.

This will be huge for AMD if they can keep them between $500-$700. The Intel ultrabooks we have seen so far aren't much cheaper than the Macbook Airs, which takes most of the appeal away from them.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

frumpsnake posted:

The joke at the time was that the S3 ViRGE was the worlds first graphics decelerator, and it was true.

From what I remember, however, the S3 Savage cards were actually pretty decent.

S3TC (texture compression)! They were decent low-end cards that had some driver issues.

They were huge in the consumer PC market and even got used in laptops. If I remember right it was a pain in the dick to deal with in Linux for a long time.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Nice quote from Tom's Hardware today. The bold is theirs.

Toms Hardware posted:

With the sub-$100 Pentiums performing so well, Intel's $125 Core i3-2100 easily beats more expensive Phenom II and FX models. And the $190 Core i5-2400 dominates the sub-$200 landscape without challenge, really. As such, we're almost-shockingly left without an AMD CPU to recommend at any price point.

While it’s true that AMD’s multiplier-unlocked models appeal to tweak-happy power users, the company's overclocked game performance manages to either hang close to or fall just behind Intel's stock Core i3-2100. Pumping up voltage, multipliers, and, consequently, power usage seems like a futile exercise just to keep pace with an efficient $125 budget-oriented chip running at its default settings.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

babies havin rabies posted:

So MicroCenter has the FX-8120 for $149.99, and I can get a motherboard with it at a discount, a $85 ASUS M5A97 for $45. Is this really that bad of a deal as the OP states? Do these chips burst into flames or something? I'm not expecting i7 performance or anything. I'm running a 4-year old C2D 2.6 right now and looking for a bang-for-the-buck upgrade for my home PC.

So that's $195 total? I think last year at Microcenter you could get a Phenom X6 1090 + free motherboard for like $159 and it wasn't really that great of a deal then.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

roadhead posted:

I'm pretty sure the average person can count on one hand the number of times they've completely pegged their CPU in the last week. Yes its the thing everyone thinks they need, but raw CPU performance is "good enough" on any modern processor in my opinion.

You'll still notice an i5 vs a A6 or whatever. Pegging your CPU is like pegging your internet connection. '100%' only means you were using it at full speed for a whole second.

You might not 'peg' a 5mb connection that often but that doesn't mean a 20mb connection won't be 4 times faster, and that you won't notice it.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

The slowest thing these days is probably browsing websites since they have so much drat javascript and flash and poo poo on them.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

It's nice to see AMD is still doing things for their hardcore customers like throwing LAN parties, given the current situation.

http://www.tomshardware.com/picturestory/610-extravalanza-lan-party-byoc.html

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Care to name some of those risky bets that didn't pan out? This kind of stuff fascinates me :)

They must have figured that 8 integer cores with poo poo FPU performance would run today's software faster. That's what you get by assuming programmers and compilers were going to magically cause all software to be incredibly multi-threaded. Unfortunately it's still true that fewer, faster cores are better than more, slower cores.

Unless of course you're running a handful of applications that can be easily multi-threaded.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Tom's ran some tests to see if Windows 8 ran any better on Piledriver than Windows 7:

:smith:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

We've come a long way from supercomputers that used a scant 9,000 Intel Pentium Pros

edit: Maybe, maybe not - sure, the cores have gone way up but there's still only double the amount of CPU's

Bob Morales fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Oct 31, 2012

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

keyvin posted:

Well, I may have a reason to buy an AMD processor again after all...

Broadwell to be BGA only

Don't laptop guys use a heat gun or something to remove BGA chips?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

redstormpopcorn posted:

Things would probably get weird in the GPU market if they didn't spin ATi back out with the merger. Awesome as it would be to have the Radeon & GeForce engineers under the same roof, I think that'd either result in a performance-GPU Bad Monopoly or a terrifying war between the shambling AMDTiNvidia aberration and Intel.

Couldn't in theory a bunch of people leave and start some other chip company of some sort?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Tom's has their A10-6800k review up

Single core still stinks.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Alereon posted:

The jump from 1600 to 1866 isn't huge, but there's no excuse for using DDR3-1333.
But how many people who had an X2 or something are going to keep their old RAM (which could be DDR3-1333, especially if they added it in the last 2-3 years)?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Alereon posted:

To be fair that is a Radeon HD 6670 DDR3, which limits it to roughly the same amount of memory bandwidth as the system memory, thus eliminating all of its advantages. A "real" Radeon HD 6670 with GDDR5 would have twice the memory bandwidth and a significant performance advantage.

With the A10 really start to pick up steam when DDR4 hits the streets?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Alereon posted:

You wouldn't be able to use existing products with DDR4, it's not like DDR2/3 where there was some degree of compatibility on the memory controller level, it's a completely different technology. That said, DDR4 should scale to higher memory bandwidth than DDR3 with resulting performance increases, but it won't be launching at much higher speeds. You can buy JEDEC standard DDR3-2133 now, and DDR4-2133 is the debut speed. Just like how DDR3 scaled from 1066Mhz to 2133Mhz (DDR3 800 was never commercially viable), DDR4 is planned to scale from 2133Mhz to 4266Mhz.

Well yea, I mean when AMD releases a board and such that will work with it.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I was reading a review of a FM2 motherboard, and noticed they were comparing benchmarks from the A10 to Intel chips

http://anandtech.com/show/7865/asrock-fm2a88x-extreme6-review/7

Why aren't the FX-8xxx chips on the benchmark list? Aren't they way faster than the A10 and competitive with the i5/i7 in a few benchmarks?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Panty Saluter posted:

I was gonna say, isn't the 2500K as old as the hills? No wonder AMD finally looks competitive :v:

I know you're joking but 2/3rds of Intels performance isn't competitive :haw:

I wasn't paying much attention but I thought the A10's were just FX8xxx's with an APU, which apparently they aren't

They were pretty competitive in the really heavily-threaded stuff but that's about it.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Civil posted:

Looks like they're competitive with i5's in certain media creation benchmarks. And not much else.

I secretly enjoy seeing the Phenom X6 post higher numbers than any other AMD CPU in the last 4 years.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

The Lord Bude posted:

I used to have one of those :3:

I remember when MicroCenter had the 1090T for $199 with a free motherboard, forgot why I didn't buy one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

thebigcow posted:

They hired a bunch of guys from DEC that worked on the Alpha right around the time Compaq bought what was left of DEC. Those were the people that made the Athlon.

And the leftover guys made...Itanium.

• Locked thread