Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheJeffers
Jan 31, 2007

eames posted:

seems realistic considering the 6800k is a 3.4/3.6 Ghz Haswell 6-core. Ryzen should have similar IPC but higher clockspeeds with their XFR thing.

The one I'm really looking forward to is 1700X/1800X vs 7700k both stock and OC.
The CPU-Z benchmarks above show parity between a 1700X and a stock 7700k, if that's possible with custom watercooling then I'll be very tempted in 6-8 months even though I didn't plan to upgrade anytime soon.That probably was at ridiculous voltages and/or LN2 though...

https://twitter.com/CPCHardware/status/836214212301053952

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheJeffers
Jan 31, 2007

TheJeffers
Jan 31, 2007

Dante80 posted:

Also, there seems to be a pattern forming (have read at least 3 reviewers mention it) in that Ryzen gets worse av/max FPS but better min and "smoother gameplay". At this point in time I think I can attribute that to biased reviewers (smoothness, really?), but it would be fun to see how this unfolds in later reviews.

You do realize you can quantify "smoothness" by graphing frame times, right? The better reviewers out there will back up their impressions with that info.

TheJeffers
Jan 31, 2007

Delusibeta posted:

So, the impression I'm getting is that Ryzen 7 effectively renders Intel's X99 platform moot, but lags noticeably behind Intel's mainstream chips when it comes to gaming, and that the Core i5 7600k remains the default CPU choice for gaming builds (for now).

It only renders X99 moot if you don't need lots of memory bandwidth (starting to look like an issue for Ryzen 8C16T) or SIMD throughput (advantage Intel) or lots of PCIe lanes (probably not an issue for most). Basically, you need to examine your workload carefully and see if the Ryzen platform's shortcomings matter. As others have noted, X99 is probably going to be replaced anyway so it's hard to say right now.

TheJeffers
Jan 31, 2007

Paul MaudDib posted:

At least with video encoder errors it's not going to blow your equipment up. But y'all should read NwAvGuy's blog because it has a lot of relevance to the Ryzen launch too.

http://nwavguy.blogspot.com/2011/02/testing-methods.html

So honest question here... how many people here had even heard of Joker Productions before he became /r/AMD's last great hope for Ryzen? Cause I sure hadn't.

I looked into his methods and he's minimized CPU differences by testing with a lot of D3D12 titles. There's a point to be made there but it's hardly the best way to produce a CPU review.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheJeffers
Jan 31, 2007

You should be very careful about recommending that people mess with the Ryzen BCLK; at least one person who seems to know his poo poo recommends against doing so outside of extreme OC situations because it starts affecting other critical speeds in the system like the PCIe bus.

quote:

Overclocking the base clock (BCLK) on AM4 platform is possible, however generally not recommended. This is due to its frequency relations with other interfaces, such as the PCIe. Unlike with Intel's more recent CPUs, there is no asynchronous mode (straps / gears) available, which would allow stepping down the PCIe frequency at certain intervals. The PCIe frequency relation is fixed and therefore it increases at the same rate with the BCLK. Gen. 3 operation can generally be sustained up to ~107MHz frequency and higher speeds will usually require forcing the links to either Gen. 2 or to Gen. 1 modes.

Unstable PCIe can cause various issues, such as system crashes, data corruption (M.2 SSDs), graphical artifacts and various kinds of other undefined behavior.

https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/ryzen-strictly-technical.2500572/

• Locked thread