Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Edit: Totally the wrong thread apologies.

rex rabidorum vires fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Apr 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
The take away seems to be similar to the Ryzen 7...for mutli-threaded work loads they crush the Intel competition at the price point. However, in terms of raw gaming capability they aren't quite there. I think the R5s are far more competitive for the price point (in terms of gaming) than the R7s, but if Intel cuts prices a bit on the i5 it becomes a harder sell. That said a build with a 1500x or 1600 and a 1060/rx480 or even the newer 500 series could potentially age reasonably well by virtue of having 8/12 threads. The Zens really do seem to be an interesting processor and it'll be interesting to see if they can continue to pick up performance through both game optimization and bios updates. I say all this as someone that's only been paying attention for the last 2 months or so and zero background in tech.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

I could have sworn they said in the video they were running at 3600 mhz across the board where they could. That said I re-watched the beginning of their video and he's only talking about the AMD stuff. I would *hope* they ran the Intel stuff as fast as they could because it would be lovely of them not to.

Edit: Beaten by the above :)

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

spasticColon posted:

What's the CPU core config for the six-core R5 Ryzen chips? Is it 3+3 or 4+2 or 5+1 or what?

The R5 1600X looks very tempting to finally upgrade from my 2500K but I'm going to wait for motherboards and motherboard bios' to mature first.

Both 1600x and 1600 are 3+3 the 1500x and 1400 are 2+2.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

Obsurveyor posted:

Have any links handy for 1600 vs. 1600X? I've been digging for a few minutes but so far nothing that compares the two directly. Particularly interested in Blender perf.

The only two guys that I've seen with the 1600 and 1600x side by side is NCIX Tech Tips: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3rSg3WehOk and Tech Deals: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3rSg3WehOk neither have blender (that I can recall) but Cinebench stuff , a handbrake, and a 7 ZIP comparison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

Obsurveyor posted:

Thanks! I would have never found these because videos. You posted the same video twice but I found the other one.

Oh very sorry about that. Hardward Unboxed just did a very similar one today talking about whether the 1600x is worth it or not. There is a fair amount of overlap between the other two and this one, but he does go into a bit of the OC'ing as well. Unfortunately though there doesn't appear to be a whole lot of Blender stuff out there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4_4Tpa_cIQ

• Locked thread