Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH

HalloKitty posted:

Not that it's anything to do with AMD at all, but: http://www.anandtech.com/show/5672/acer-aspire-timelineu-m3-life-on-the-kepler-verge

An uninspiring (1366x768 15.6") Acer notebook with.. Kepler! Nothing interesting to see here really, other than the battery life on this machine.

Is there an NVIDIA thread? Should there be one? I don't know, but we were talking about graphics cards in general here for a bit, and some were waiting for Kepler info.

All it needs is the 1080p screen from the xps 15z or even the regular xps if possible...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Holy jesus my overclocked XP-M 2500 still works. lovely MSI KT400 motherboard and all. Over 12 years old and still kicking.

I was 16 and had to borrow money from my parents just to build that thing because my then-already-ancient Pentium 2 system just died and it was all I could afford. Started with an XP1800 that was promptly overclocked to 2400 levels. Then before leaving for college I saved up a few bucks for that XP-M2500 and went hogge wild promptly maxing out all the measly BIOS settings would give. Ended up with ~2.2 ghz because thats all the crap mobo would allow, although that CPU can handle 2.4 pretty easily IIRC. Also managed to score a Radeon 9800 Pro for cheap....which literally caused my awful no name PSU to catch fire. No joke, I saw the flames and thought for a split second "I don't have any red lighting in my case..."

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Speaking of which, where have all the aluminum cases gone?

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Had a OC'd XP-M back in my dorm days :corsair:

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Any one know or know the rumors concerning how high the DDR4 support will go on Zen consumer desktop level? DDR4 3200 native?

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH

Stanley Pain posted:

So it looks like going from a 2500k to the new Ryzen Lord will be a thing for me in the not so distant future. It'll be interesting upgrade time for sure.

gently caress. Yes.

Its been so long, I'm surprised the CMOS coin cell isn't dead yet.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Am I just a weirdo for just wanting 8 real cores and therefore don't really have a need for the 8c/16t parts - tossing whatever savings into a better GPU?

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH

K8.0 posted:

We're talking about a GloFo product here, my money is on very significant gains in overclockability for later versions of these chips. I'm still going to sit on my 2500k for now, but I can definitely see it getting replaced in 9-12 months or whatever with a really significant upgrade that probably won't be meaningfully bested for a long time.

Its not just the chips themselves that determine overclockability - you need good motherboards too and those will also get better with time.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
I just want cpu/gpu combos for sale. AMD should leverage the fact they're the only ones in the world who can do this.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH

Dante80 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHs0lSfAMVI

(put the subs on).

Also, some AM4 motherboard links, including a handy table for VRMs, Audio and Network.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/5vx5o3/am4_motherboard_links/

I don't get the memory support. Do all the AsRock boards just straight up end at 2667? There's no mention of XMP in their online spec sheet even though its a pretty normal feature by now. And the (OC) support on some boards - is that XMP?????

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Ryzen soldered so no delids?

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Time is a flat circle:

http://www.realworldtech.com/kt266-vs-kt266a/

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
I'd like badass APUs too but battery sizes/capacities are more constrained by laptop thickness and footprint more than motherboard size these days.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
so am I the only one ITT using 2560x1600?

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH

Measly Twerp posted:

Part of the benefit of 4k is having higher ppi. At 30" I'd want something around 5120x2880.

Viewing distance? I wouldn't take anything smaller than 32'' for 4k with 34-36'' being ideal.

I am talking no scaling however.

EDIT: There is a display thread in SHSC, so to get off this derail, what's the latest in BIOS/mobo updates since launch? Any improvements in native memory support?

Seamonster fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Mar 8, 2017

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
NUC sized boxes actually capable of playing games? YES PLEASE.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Aren't there some reports of people with lids that aren't completely flat?

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Now I want to see 1600X bundled with the upcoming RX580s for $425.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
I'm down for Polaris 2: electric boogaloo if 580s can hit 1500-1550 on air without too much voltage. Pretty sure it can outrun nearly all 1060s at that speed.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH

wargames posted:

we are looking for 1500+ for memory right because that 570 above have this listed

core clock...

That is not to say that Polaris doesn't benefit from faster memory because it does. Reference memory for the 570 is 1650mhz.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
I was also bent on getting 32g of 3200 memory for my upgrade from a 2500k so more waiting for me too.

• Locked thread