Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
freeforumuser
Aug 11, 2007

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

I dunno. They sure released a fixed Phenom II quickly IIRC. Different problem but still, they can certainly fix some stuff relatively quickly. I just have a real hard time believing it takes nearly 2 years to move around stuff like the L3 or HT links or whatever. That is almost half as long as it takes to design a whole new CPU core itself.

Wow BD is even more hosed then I thought then. If they can't get the power usage significantly down by lopping off stuff like cache than they probably have no hope of even approaching the power efficiency of Intel's chips until they do a totally new arch.

AMD had an easy way out with Phenom...add an extra 4MB L3 and downside to 45nm. BD can't do neither. Tweaking microarchitectures isn't AMD's strong suit; just look at how long it took them to squeeze a 6% IPC out of Phenom II with Llano (~2.5 years), and how Athlon XP/64/Phenom II uarch was totally unchanged other than the add more cache/smaller process/MOAR COURS over their product cycles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

freeforumuser
Aug 11, 2007

Alereon posted:

Anandtech has a short news item about the upcoming AMD Trinity APU. Launching in Q1 of 2012, it should include two Piledriver modules and a Radeon HD 7000-series GPU (probably 7600-class), as well as support for DDR3-2133 (the fastest JEDEC DDR3). The GPU is VLIW4 like the Radeon HD 6900-series, so it will probably have 384 shader cores. Shaders come in blocks of 64 so they can't stay with 400, and going from 1600 on the 5870 down to 1536 on the 6970 still offered a pretty nice performance boost thanks to the improved per-shader efficiency and boosted clockspeeds.

"In terms of speed, AMD is claiming up to 20% increase over Llano."

Oh, I c wut u did thar AMD. A nice-sounding statement but so ambiguous that is it close to useless. It could very well be a +40% GPU performance with the -20% coming from BD assuming they didn't fixed BD at all.

freeforumuser
Aug 11, 2007

Ragingsheep posted:

Well, it's mostly for non-gaming anyway, I have a desktop for that.

Back on topic...is there any indication that Piledriver will actually be competitive with Sandy Bridge, let alone Ivy?

By AMD's own claims of Piledriver being 10% faster than BD (that's assuming an IPC increase and not just 10% higher clock),it wont even touch Llano at per core basis in terms of IPC. It will probably need a ~600MHz higher clock to even match Llano. Ivy Bridge? Furgetaboutit.

freeforumuser
Aug 11, 2007

Alereon posted:

HardOCP has an article up comparing overclocked gaming performance between Bulldozer and an i5 2500K. Unsurprisingly, Bulldozer loses, badly. This should shut up those few fanboys who rave about how great it overclocks.

It makes no sense. If you need to spend $100+ on WC to overclock BD to beat a stock SB why not just GODDAMN buy the better 2500/2600K in the first place that OCs sky high on a $30 Hyper 212+?

freeforumuser
Aug 11, 2007

Mr Chips posted:

Maybe I'm not an excitable tech site writer looking for page hits, but 'marginally quicker in some things, a bit slower in others and a bit more power hungry for a given price point' isn't what I'd call a 'catastrophe'.

I think you forgot the "3+ years wait". That makes it one.

freeforumuser
Aug 11, 2007

VERTiG0 posted:

Wow, these new desktop FX chips are garbage eh? Sad, the $130 FX-4100 had some potential to be a serious overclocker (apparently very easy to get to 4.6GHz with no aftermarket cooling, and 5GHz is relatively easy to attain with some basic gear) but even then they'd still get stomped...

Forget anything from Intel or even the PhII X6s, that thing has trouble beating a ~3 year old X4 955BE, both stock or when overclocked. It makes even the lowly $130 price tag look overpriced.

http://www.legionhardware.com/images/review/AMD_FX-8150_FX-8120_FX-6100_and_FX-4170/Overclocking_02.png

freeforumuser fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Nov 23, 2011

freeforumuser
Aug 11, 2007

pixaal posted:

Don't worry I know 5 people that are gamers with no clue how computers work. The important factors to them in order are

Number of Cores
VRAM
RAM
HDD Space

I was able to talk 1 out of buying a bulldozer in the upcoming month or when computers will "be on sale" they have no idea how to build, I guess the other 4 I don't know very well so they don't trust my judgement or something. If I was still playing WoW I'm sure the number would be higher because everyone over 30 that plays seems to fall into the I want a new computer each year that has more cores category.

I think AMD will do okay because of the the current more cores is better hype going on with the mainstream. gently caress my dad asked me when 5, 6 and 7 core processors came out because he heard about a new 8 core and wanted it. (He only browses the internet and is using under 10% of everything on that system, its old parts I just threw together to stop him from buying something from a store).

I doubt AMD can even sell enough BDs to the unsuspecting retail consumers or AMD fanboys when the FX-8150 is still OOS at Newegg, let alone finding itself into mass-market Dells/HPs.

freeforumuser fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Nov 23, 2011

freeforumuser
Aug 11, 2007

rscott posted:

Paper launches, I guess AMD needs something to get the taste of bulldozer out of their mouths?

You don't do paper launches if you know your product sucks...Although I not all that impressed by a new card that is slightly faster and with a slightly reduced power draw compared to a 580, plus these things are overkill for 99% of us.

freeforumuser fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Dec 23, 2011

freeforumuser
Aug 11, 2007

Killer robot posted:

That's what I've got too: only games I have problem with are ones where Crossfire is broken (SR3 lately). With my two year old Phenom II I think I'd be CPU limited on a newer card anyway, but it's nice to know that when I get a core system upgrade again the GPU selection is marching along.

My single 5850 has ~50% of the speed of a 7970 but only 25% the cost when I bought it ($140). If history repeats itself and the midrange part is ~2/3 of 7970 for $200-250, it won't even be worth a glance.

freeforumuser
Aug 11, 2007
The unlocked 3870K and 3670K is now available in Newegg at $145 and $130 respectively.

I would say with the 3670K AMD now has an unquestionably better chip than the similarily priced SB i3s, albeit getting the former is doomed to a dead-end upgrade path (not a big deal IMO). Right now there aren't any realistic indication yet on how well they overclock, but 4GHz seems easy enough.

Though it makes one wonder why BD exists when they can make these gems.

freeforumuser
Aug 11, 2007
Bjorn3D 3870K review

Superbly disappointing overclocking numbers. 1.4625V and can't even break 3.6GHz. I don't want to know the power consumption anymore, it's just so sad.

freeforumuser
Aug 11, 2007

Setzer Gabbiani posted:

I remember thinking I was pretty hot poo poo as a kid when I took the heatsink for a K6-2 and superglued it with some thermal paste to a Voodoo3 2000, then flashed it to a Voodoo3 3000 clocked at 180Mhz, that lasted me for years

3DFX nostalgia aside, they still pretty much dug their own grave. Their constant safezoning of staying a generation behind in a world where AA and T&L are no longer experimental features just to stay cheap would've guaranteed that Xbox - the video card ©HardOCP - would've flopped hideously. See also: the S3 Savage

3dfx pretty much doomed themselves when they decided they took the utterly retarded decision of making themselves the sole supplier of 3dfx cards and giving away the entire OEM market to Nvidia on a silver platter. Not to mention when TNT1 already had respectable 32-bit color 3D performance and their response was a 16-bit color only Voodoo3 because 16-bit was "good enough" and 32-bit was "too slow".

freeforumuser
Aug 11, 2007

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Anand's 7950 review.

The value proposition at a glance: (BTW the faster 6870 can be found at ~$150, too)

freeforumuser
Aug 11, 2007

tijag posted:

The midrange is very much stagnated.

I got my 5850 for $260 over 2 years ago. The part to upgrade to right now would be the 6950 for about the same $$, and although it does have more performance, it's not appreciably enough so for me to drop ANOTHER $260.

At least not right now.

Because of AMD moving the 79xx up in price to 550/450, this means the 78xx will be slightly faster than the 69xx, while costing as much, or slightly more. Leaving me nothing to upgrade to at $260 that feels compelling.

I'm hoping that the GK104 is as competetive with Tahiti as has been rumored, forcing AMD to lower prices to $415/$330 for the 79xx, making the 78xx probably $300/$240 or so. Maybe finally I'll be able to afford an upgrade.

It's time to build a new computer this year to replace my E8400 box. So IVB + the best price/perfromance video card + 240/256GB SSD is what I want for this spring.

Some are excited about 7970/7950 but the rest of us midrange users are indifferent to both, because we judging from the price/performance we know anything from AMD below $300 is not going to be a worthy upgrade from the old 5870/5850/GTX 460 we bought a looooong time ago or the $150 6870s we have now.

That said, now I'm pretty :smug: about that $120 GTX 460 1GB I snagged last year...

freeforumuser
Aug 11, 2007

unpronounceable posted:

The Tech Report just released their review of the new 7770. Basically, it would be a good card if it were priced lower than the 6850.

This is new card with a price/benefit ratio resembling of Bulldozer proportions.

freeforumuser
Aug 11, 2007
drat, GTX 680 is mightily impressive.

This is hilarious. It only took just one card from Nvidia to steal all the thunder from AMD's entire 7xxx lineup.

freeforumuser
Aug 11, 2007

incoherent posted:

If AMD dropped the 7970 by 100 dollars, I'd buy a card right now. Otherwise i'm buying a 680 when I get my hands on one.

Between 28nm issues and a larger die size than GTX680 that is not going to happen. Oh and how the tables have completely turned from the days of RV770 vs GT200. I wouldn't ever have dreamt of Nvidia owning AMD in performance/die size/power until I saw the review. They a took supposedly midrange GK104 and slapped it with a long high-end board presumably designed for GK100 and said "lol, We don't even need GK100 to beat AMD!" and call it a day, and this is incredible IMO.

Mod Edit: Don't say "pwn", it makes you sound like a twelve year old.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Apr 1, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

freeforumuser
Aug 11, 2007
Oh man, if Piledriver also disappoints there will be nothing left to save AMD from ruin. Basically now it's up to Nvidia on how much midrange smackdown they wanna give to AMD.

• Locked thread