Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
I'm still waiting on Zen for an upgrade from a q9400 :razz:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
For reference my q9400 @ 3.2 and a R9 390 is drawing 300 from the wall playing games, 70w idle. So he's probably pulling around 60w-200w.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

Sinestro posted:

Most server boards are, it's really sad. Part of the reason that I'm waiting for Zen is hoping that core counts on normal sockets will go up, and that maybe more inventive motherboard designs will be more common. I want an ITX board with 4 SO-DIMM slots, and for there to be 32GB SO-DIMMs. Before anyone laughs at me, I'm running out of memory with the 48 GB I have in my desktop, and I'd want to go with the nuclear option instead of 'just' 64 GB. I want to fit 8 cores or some huge ES server processor if they become cheap and available like the Xeon ones and a ton of RAM into a N-CASE with a few huge hard drives and a water cooling radiator (or two if I'm dreaming, it's possible it'd just be really hard to get it all in there).

It looks mighty hard to fit a pcie card and use sata on that board, inventive indeed.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
:pray: please bring 8c+ Broadwell to the mainstream

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
WHAT IS THE PRICE AMD

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
So far this is presentation is a bad infomercial because they haven't told me the price yet or offered to throw in not one, but two cpus.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
Even if the CPUs are 25% off, the motherboards are between 25-50% cheaper, so the platform will cost much less. This is assuming apples to apples competitive single threaded performance.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
You're looking at a $100 dollar board that :airquote: should :airquote: support the higher core count chips, possibly have more PCIe lanes and will probably have modern connectivity options.

WHAT IS THE PRICE SU?

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

apparently they set the render sampling to 128 samples (someone with a 5960x have gotten the 36 second time that way), which might have been a default years ago but the default for blender is now 200 which is making people go "huh?"

quote:

https://www.reddit.com/user/AMD_james

Render sample size should be 150. New file with this preset will be uploaded. Sorry!

Both were run using 2.78a 64 bit.

The statement for download yourself was for the blender file. However you can test the handbrake one yourself as follows:
Go to http://bbb3d.renderfarming.net/download.html and download the Standard 2D 4K, Quad-Full-HD (3840x2160) 60fps video file.
Use a video editor to clip the first 60s of the movie file.
USe handbrake 0.10.5-x64 GUI to convert the file to AppleTV3 preset.
Watch that status bar at the bottom for transcode time.

Seems like they say its 150

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

if anyone's hoping for a single threaded pipe dream it ain't here, but bringing up average # of haswell-grade cores per user would really help overall

Yet to be seen how high it can clock with its 25mhz fractional/crazyhigh multiplier boost. 4ghz+ seems plausible which will make the platform very attractive.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
Stock price: AMD (NASDAQ) US$11.50 +0.55 (+5.02%)
Dec 20, 4:00 PM EST - Disclaimer

:what:

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
Bristol Ridge exists

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
So long as they undercut Intel or offer more cores for the same dollar combined with lower board costs, the platform savings by moving to Red Team will be pretty great. I just made a haswell build I can dump for the price I paid (seriously wtf) and grab a Ryzen offering for peanuts.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

Twerk from Home posted:

That thing has gotta be clocked low-ish to get 6 cores into 65W, or AMD really has knocked one out of the park.

Could simply be the difference between Samsung and GloFo

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

quote:

13.63 +1.39 (11.36%)
After Hours: 13.67 +0.04 (0.29%)

Seems like there is tremendous upside to the Intel deal without specifics

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

Surprise Giraffe posted:

Anyone ever struggled to physically install a graphics card? New rx480 wont sit in the slot on the board. It fits the case, my 780 fit like a piece of toast. This thing gets in the slot and justbwont click when i line it up and push down. What am i doing wrong do i need amd grease

Get a mobile phone and set it to record a video while you are installing the card from board level. Review this video to see whats going wrong.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
These prices :prepop:

Now the question is how far do they OC

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
After 8 threads Overwatch sort of peaks, so you'll want more single core speed than 4c Haswell 3.6ghz. I'd say grab a 4790k if you have a z series board on the cheap when people rush to get aboard the Zen hype train in March.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
I'm very curious to see what Zen does to the resale market for Haswell i7 and above, i5 will be in the toilet is my expectation. The AM4 platform is a very compelling offer which should drive prices down across the board for resale.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
The problem with sockets in the past is that chipsets determined cpu compatibility. If AMD does away with this on AM4 then we are good to go. s478 and s775 lasted forever compared to the LGA1156, LGA1150, and LGA1151 which is likely being replaced for cannonlake.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
People are still using sandy bridge despite it not supporting anything recent so your argument holds no water

ed: I say this as I type from a sandy bridge 2600 workstation.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
Wild speculation :derp:

1888 @ 3.5

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

NewFatMike posted:

Graphs:
Choo choo :fap:

Choo choo, Gonna be K7/K8 all over again.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
If you don't like it after you get it, just return it :shrug:

They are going to be flying off the shelves

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
NASDAQ:AMD : Choochoo all aboard, oh yeah they make CPUS

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
Rumour: 1800X OC'd on LN2 to 5.14 GHz - 2449 Cinebench WR

Set your Air/Liquid expectations accordingly

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

incoherent posted:

There better not be 200 new posts of AMD stock talk.

No thats /r/wallstreetbets/

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

Klyith posted:

They did it for the 480 as well. Kinda a mixed bag. Preorders were useful in that they were the best way to get the thing at launch price, after that the price went up by like $30 for a couple months. Downside was that you got a launch 480.

Nvidia had preorders for founders edition cards as well come to think about it.

I dunno, preorders are dumb anywhere but at least they make some sense for a physical product that will probably not have enough stock to meet demand. Better than for digital games anyways.

They're gonna be substantially the same mobos as for recent FX chips though, right? Anything that can keep an FX happy should be able to meet the more modest needs of Ryzen.

OTOH launch RX480 4GB were actually 8GB

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

eames posted:

say what you want, AMD knows their target audience. :allears:

quote:

the Ryzen 7 1700 also comes equipped with the AMD Wraith Spire cooler, featuring color-configurable LED illumination for customized style

Going full corsair here

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
I'm selling haswell for a 1700 :getin:

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
Speculation

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

If true so much for availability

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

Caption this

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

FaustianQ posted:

Wait a minute, didn't Raja (or Su, someone at AMD dammit) said you could build a top of the line PC for under 1000$?

He meant top of the AMD line :iamafag:

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

lovely Treat posted:

There was a video posted of the ryzen 7 1700 benchmarked in GTA V but its been set to private now.. Wccftech managed to get the results before it got set to private, but its wccftech so pinch of salt and all that..

http://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-7-1700-gaming-performance-benchmarks-leak/

Seems about what you would expect from those clocks in GTA V though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdqIsqwDRig

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
IF they do in fact not support it rest assured you can just manually set the timings and voltage for XMP compatible sticks.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

FaustianQ posted:

https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/official-amd-ryzen-benchmarks-reviews-prices-and-discussion.2499879/page-32

Rumor going around (Well, it is the largest tech publication in Turkey) that the R7 1700 is only capable of 4.0Ghz across all cores and will literally kill the VRMs if you attempt to push anymore voltage with low end boards.

However, the R7 1700X and 1800X, from the same source as above, will beat the 7700Ks stock performance (so 4.4Ghz 1800X ~ 4.5Ghz 7700K?). Temps, power draw, voltage, etc were within safe limits unlike R7 1700. Seems R7 1700s (and likely all non X CPUs) are the real garbage parts which can't clock worth a drat. This is a similar story to Polaris 11, @ 850Mhz it pulls 30-35W, @ 1200Mhz it'll pull near 65W+.

I guess Kabylake still has a niche in absolute niche for ST performance but honestly if the 1800X is hitting 4.4Ghz all cores without throwing up any alarms, then later 1600X and 1400X should be monsters, and a 1400X vs 7700K comparison would heavily favor the 1400X from a price/perf point.

Are boards going to certify now which skus you can use safely? If board VRMs are clearly frying with a 65w part, there should be no way you'd put in a 95w+ part. These boards would have to not accept the 1700x and 1800x skus if this were the case.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
Wait a second here. Isn't AMD the one with the honest TDP rating, whereas Intel is the one with the under normal conditions TDP?

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
You have FaustianQ implying the AMD 65w TDP is for a single core aka idle for a 8c part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

FaustianQ posted:

Where am I implying that? I said 65W baseclock or single core 3.7Ghz turbo, because I'm unsure of whether the rated TDP takes into account the turbo.

Well one this is for sure if it doesn't take into account the turbo it will never sustain 3.7 across 8 cores with their Wraith Spire design.

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

A single core cannot be a 8C part! And I don't see how you can read his post that way since he is specifying parts by name (ie. 1800X, R7 1700) and they're all 8C parts. He also isn't talking about idle power either. edit: he doesn't even use the word "idle" in his post.

The stock TDP's AMD gives are for stock clocks at load guys. If you OC you WILL use more power!! That is why mobos designed for OC'ing will usually be able to deliver lots more power to the CPU and have such crazy over spec VRM's.

That is also why mobos not designed for OC'ing have such "wimpy" VRM's. They don't need them since they're only running the chip at stock clocks anyways so not much power will be needed.

Way to be pedantic, single core @ load of an 8c part.

• Locked thread