Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

lmgtfy https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapcsales/comments/60i4e0/cpu_amd_ryzen_7_1700_8core_processor_30_ghz_37ghz/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

SwissArmyDruid posted:

It might still be, except that commodity DRAM prices are on the rise AGAIN,

I was hoping somebody might also chime in with "Hey, speeds above 3000 will work once AMD pushes that update that unlinks Infinity Fabric from memory clocks!" but my disgust with this situation and how I keep seeing "DDR4 2400 MHz and higher memory module will only run at maximum of DDR4 2400Mhz due to AMD® chipset limitation when using 7 th Gen A series CPU" on every single mobo manufacturer's website.

Check the QVLs on your specific board. If you look through the B350 boards you will see they aren't really tested above 3000 right now so you might have better luck looking at X370 boards.

Paul MaudDib posted:

This poo poo isn't really something you're going to fix with BIOS updates. It's something that's pretty much inherent to the v1.0 silicon. Best hope is we get some motherboards that are less touchy about timings, or are smart enough to automatically retime common speeds to one of the 3 settings that Zen supports, or something like that. I don't see there being any "give" in Ryzen itself.

They are already pushing out microcode updates and bios updates :confused:

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Two separate quadcore clusters, and migrating between the clusters kills performance. Man, why does that sound so familiar?

Kentsfield and Yorkfield

ed: speaking of which, the R3's with a single CCX will be a beast for perf/w if they aren't running at 1.35v to reach their clockspeeds

Risky Bisquick fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Mar 22, 2017

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
x399 16c 32t 180w ES rumored to be are running at 3.1/3.6 :pusheen:

https://www.overclock3d.net/news/cpu_mainboard/amd_s_rumoured_180w_16-core_ryzen_part_will_reportedly_run_at_3_1_3_6ghz/1

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
My 1700 games at 1080p just fine :shrug: Just waiting on better ram compatibility now and a corsair aio bracket.

I'd put a bit of skepticism into he 7700k vs ryzen benchmarks until everyone rebenches for the R5 release. Results seem too good given there is 5% from ipc and 25% clock advantage to make up.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/61sxx3/am4_motherboard_tier_list_updated_32717/

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
In case anyone is looking for ram not on the QVL this is probably the best way... :pwn: Copy paste from the X370s for a start with your board.

site:valid.x86.fr ryzen gaming-cf CMK16GX4M2B3000C15

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
Why does that Intel motherboard only have two dimms in that form factor

ed: oh, OPTANE SUPER SPEED MEMORY

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
Corsair mailed me to say they are shipping all pre-ordered AM4 brackets by April 7th. Don't forget some people might buy your wraith spire RGB because of RGB, which further improves the value of the 1700.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

Ihmemies posted:

Some dude at /r/amd claims he benchmarked ryzen with same memory at 2133 and 3200, and got pretty big difference in avg fps: https://www.reddit.com/r/amd/comments/62aigz

https://imgur.com/a/sbwqK

Will be interesting to see how close to 7700K amd can get with faster ram, bettwr bioses, optimized games & windows 10 game mode/optimizations. So far it looks like that at launch day a lot of performance was still on left on the table.

Finewine :iamafag:

So far the ram speed difference is very slight with my 1700 when benchmarking TotalWar:Warhammer and DoW2 @1080p ultra. The avg fps difference between 2400 and 2933 is basically another 100mhz worth of clockspeed. If that improvement scales perfectly and the IMC doesn't diaf, going up to 3400 or 4000ish would be pretty nice gains given the platfrom is process limited to around 4.0-4.1 ghz.

If you are encoding, doing compression, or compiling there will probably be more visible gains.

AMD posted:

Let’s talk BIOS updates

Finally, we wanted to share with you our most recent work on the AMD Generic Encapsulated Software Architecture for AMD Ryzen™ processors. We call it the AGESA™ for short.

As a brief primer, the AGESA is responsible for initializing AMD x86-64 processors during boot time, acting as something of a “nucleus” for the BIOS updates you receive for your motherboard. Motherboard vendors take the baseline capabilities of our AGESA releases and build on that infrastructure to create the files you download and flash.

We will soon be distributing AGESA point release 1.0.0.4 to our motherboard partners. We expect BIOSes based on this AGESA to start hitting the public in early April, though specific dates will depend on the schedules and QA practices of your motherboard vendor.

BIOSes based on this new code will have four important improvements for you
  • We have reduced DRAM latency by approximately 6ns. This can result in higher performance for latency-sensitive applications.
  • We resolved a condition where an unusual FMA3 code sequence could cause a system hang.
  • We resolved the “overclock sleep bug” where an incorrect CPU frequency could be reported after resuming from S3 sleep.
  • AMD Ryzen™ Master no longer requires the High-Precision Event Timer (HPET).

We will continue to update you on future AGESA releases when they’re complete, and we’re already working hard to bring you a May release that focuses on overclocked DDR4 memory.

Risky Bisquick fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Mar 30, 2017

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

Hahahahahaha are you kidding me. Did they simply update their benchmark?

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
Seems similar to Quack3.exe but on the CPU side if true.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
Gigabyte has some beta bios if you are are adventurous, some users have bricked their boards testing (probably amateurs, they are all dual bios)

http://forum.gigabyte.us/thread/886/am4-beta-bios-thread

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

Zero Gravitas posted:

Can somebody help me with something some guy on another forum is saying about single/dual rank memory with Ryzen?

I've got a machine on order and the supplier is waiting for his supplier to deliver a bunch of 350M boards before dispatching my order all together instead of piecewise. My system is set to be Ryzen 1700/ MSI B350M Gaming Pro mobo / 2x16GB 3200Mhz DDR4, one stick of ram for each slot for 32GB of hotness.

The guy is recommending that:

Which is what I've already got, right? He doesnt provide a link to this benchmark, but from my own digging around I found this:

http://www.legitreviews.com/amd-ryzen-single-rank-versus-dual-rank-ddr4-memory-performance_192960/5

Which says to me that my future setup is A-Ok.

Have I got that right? OR I have missed something pretty fundamental?

Check your specific board's QVL if you're looking for fast kits at high densities. The latest microcode is out in beta but YMMV as to whether it improves speeds of the specific kit you want. I've had good luck checking kits against the cpuz validation website through google.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
The 1600X and 1600 seem like great values overall. Whats needed now is binning figures on the R5's to see how many hit 4.0 ghz reliably, and some direct comparisons to the 4.8ghz kaby lakes with both OC to the moon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8bRqdFGCf0 Some streaming comparisons in cpu encode, results as expected.

Risky Bisquick fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Apr 11, 2017

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
Rocket League is DX9, let's imagine :amd: for a second and the answer is clear

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

sauer kraut posted:

I wouldn't bother overclocking R5's.
1600 is fine stock if money is short and you want to use the included cooler which is reportedly decent for 65W TDP.
The 1600X is already maxed out stock if you let it use XFR.

That AMD Windows high perf-balanced power profile sounds nifty btw, does it work with Intel CPUs?

You will never get full turbo on all cores otherwise, and over clocking is pretty easy gains on ryzen. This is before you take into account XFR boosts vcore to 1.45 on some chips to hit turbo, whereas you can control the vcore on your side by manually over clocking or undervolting.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
Get Corsair vengeance LPX, 3000+ C14/C15/C16. The hynix chips should be good for 2933 now on all boards, the samsung b-die should work 3200 without BCLK shenanigans.

You're board of choice seems special snowflake there are not many validations here site:valid.x86.fr "ASRock AB350M"

Risky Bisquick fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Apr 12, 2017

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
:airquote: Supposedly :airquote: Biostar is releasing an ITX board imminently

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
Set it to 2933, or try upping soc voltage +.1 and VDIMM to 1.4 with the same timings, or looser :shrug:

vvvv Totally B-die right there C14, shame about the height of the ram heatspreader

Risky Bisquick fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Apr 12, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

Wasn't this known to be a rambus design? I couldve sworn I'd read that before launch or in a launch article.

• Locked thread