Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor
That does seem like hyperbole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

Paul MaudDib posted:

Do you actually care to offer a launch price for 2x2 Ryzen 5 then? 8-core Ryzen is $320, let's hear your launch price for 4-core. Significantly less than $200? For something that competes with a Pentium G4650 in gaming?

Since it isn't out yet i can't provide any benchmarks to disprove your claims 4 core zen is just another bulldozer.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

FaustianQ posted:

Nice to see that it's down to just the IMC and software for Ryzen. I can see why AMD went 2+2 though if it means 16MB L3, compared to a 4+0 which would only have access to 8MB.

It really depends on your setup IMO, and if you do any productivity. If it's purely gaming, the R5 1400 and 1500X look fine, if you do streaming, editing, etc, get the 1600X. If the performance now looks great, I'd say get it now and then upgrade to Pinnacle Ridge if it's about 20% better. Intel is the best choice still if money is not a concern and from a purely gaming standpoint the 7700K is the best price/perf still.

Expect this kind of match up to remain for quite a bit or even tip in AMD's favor as Pinnacle is hitting desktop from the looks of things way before Cannonlake will, and Skylake-X/Kabylake-X/Coffeelake don't look to really shake things up.

my question at this point is how well does zen do with emulation? I want to say not well because of low clock rate.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

fishmech posted:

Emulation of what? It's going to be more than enough performance for things up to like the PS2 and Wii, even Bulldozer chips could handle that.

It might not be good for the currently very early PS3/360/Wii U emulators being made, but those also barely run well on the highest end Intel chips at the moment.

on my 4690 citrea the 3ds emulator isn't great.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

Rabid Snake posted:

I got a 1700 for $250. Can the wraith cooler over clock well or I am I better getting s hyper 212 or another aftermarket CPU cooler

get a all in one if overclocking is the answer?

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

I would assume its still a driver issue at this point since they didn't even SATA drivers in that article to test with. If after a month or 2 of driver updates down the road performance is still lagging for NVMe SSD's then AMD probably screwed up somewhere in the hardware.

That being said performance, while quite a bit worse than Intel at the moment, isn't actually bad for desktops. That is from a practical typical user perspective you might possibly see boot and program load times as maybe several seconds or so slower than on a modern Intel platform right now. That isn't good but calling it poo poo doesn't seem correct either. Its still a huge step up from their older socket AM3/FM3 platform SATA and I/O performance.

Personally I've only messed with 1 AM4 system and while I didn't do any benchmarking it sure "felt" as fast and as smooth as any modern Intel system when loading up CS:GO, PoE, Libreoffice 5.3, and booting Windows 10 Pro.

Didn't intel help develop the nvme standard, if so i would assume they would have better drivers for it.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

Truga posted:

hot take: who gives a poo poo about 200 or 300 megs per second random access to 4k sized files? That's still thousands of files per second, you're not going to notice a difference in any real world scenario ever.

SSDs have been getting faster every year, but it's made zero difference after the first year or so, because their main advantage over older disks isn't the raw speed, but the lack of seek time.

its 200-300 megs out of what 2000 because nvme drives are insane on speed right?

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Help us, DDR5. You're our only hope.

No idea how long amd will take to switch over to that maybe am6?

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

AMD lies again better tell paul! Also doesn't matter to most of us.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

3peat posted:

lol wtf

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIoZB-cnjc0

nvidia vs amd drivers are talked about in this video.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

NewFatMike posted:

I wouldn't upgrade. Haswell/later don't get a ton of benefits, check back in 2021?

Basically this except if you need productivity then go 1700 or 1600x and OC it, and I think the 1600x beat the 1700.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

Lungboy posted:

I had this reply from them:
"There will be more AMD boards including smaller form factors, although a timeframe isn't clear right now. Computex should see a few new boards launched, but no guarantees."

translated "making boards is hard folks, we don't want to gently caress this up."

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

SwissArmyDruid posted:

So, apparently the Bayonetta PC port is utterly unplayable on AMD CPUs right now? And not just Ryzen, everything going back to early Bulldozer is unplayable, or so I hear. :hmm:

The japanese don't understand pc's and probably only have intel in their country.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

Sinestro posted:

I've got a fairly significant portion of what I am gonna put in the new OP (Jesus Christ I'm sorry it's been this long, I've just been busy and it's been a slow process to have things settle down). I'd love some thoughts on what else to include, outside of some stuff about the future (Raven Ridge and Snowy Owl, maybe a mention of Pinnacle Ridge?).

https://pastebin.com/raw/eeZKLZVq

looks to be ok.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

Seamonster posted:

I'm down for Polaris 2: electric boogaloo if 580s can hit 1500-1550 on air without too much voltage. Pretty sure it can outrun nearly all 1060s at that speed.

we are looking for 1500+ for memory right because that 570 above have this listed

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Same, though at this point, I may be building a pair of R5 boxes with RX 570s for the stepbrothers instead of the doubleheaded R7 monster originally dreamed up.

(I spoil those two loving rotten.)

getting them 1500s or 1600s?

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

SwissArmyDruid posted:

1500X or 1600, I'm not decided yet. 1600X not a big enough step up over the 1600 on the price/perf scale to warrant the stretch, imo. Something around the $800 mark per box, when all is said and done.

1600 has a bit more legs and with 16 gigs of ram they should be good for 4+ years on cpu/mobo/ram.

edit:
looked to the newegg and found this combo, sadly 1 per customer.
https://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.3468084

wargames fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Apr 14, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

Obsurveyor posted:

What's up with memory prices anyway? The same stuff I bought 6 months ago is 55% more expensive today and prices in general seem up from then. Thinking I should just pull 32GB out of my machine and use it on the new one, rather than drop up to $175 on freaking 16GB.

Think a bunch of fabs are undergoing retooling or something.

• Locked thread