Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
eames
May 9, 2009

There's has got to be VW joke in there somewhere :iiaca:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eames
May 9, 2009

Rabid Snake posted:

I'm trying to force myself to use the Ryzen system as my main gig for the next couple of weeks. Besides the unstable overclocked ram XMP profile, it's been pretty comparable to

AMD CPU and Platfrom Discussion: I'm trying to force myself to use the Ryzen

I'm still on the fence for my next system. unRAID for example has an issue where it'll regularly crash on Ryzen unless the "global C-States" option is disabled, so the CPU never clocks down and idles at 80W. :bravo:
If anything it should make Skylake-X/Kabylake-X a bit more affordable.

eames
May 9, 2009

SwissArmyDruid posted:

The CPU never clocks down, or is it the same thing with Windows and the high-performance power profile and the CPU is better off managing its own resources?

No it isn't related to the Windows power profile. Ryzen systems with unRAID crash within less than 24 hours unless that particular C-State related BIOS option is enabled*. The "workaround" forces the CPU into State C0 which disables all power saving features. All cores run at full frequency and Vcore while idle but at least it is stable.

You can find a more detailed report in the unRAID Ryzen thread on their forums, the whole thing should be resolved with a future unraid/kernel update but this is exactly the kind of bug I don't want to bother with.

* some boards don't have the option, those are doomed to crash every few hours. :dealwithit:#

ZobarStyl posted:

I really want to move my unraid box from its 8370E to a Ryzen, but drat they need to make it not huff juice at idle. If I could get lower idle draw and GPU passthrough it'd be an easy choice.

:same:
The problem is that Ryzen boxes with working C-States still seem to idle around 60-70W but I'm not sure if that's just the price of 8C/16T or the platform isn't optimized yet. My 4 core Haswell Xeon with 16GB and a 1060 only pulls 35W when all drives are spun down.

eames fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Apr 12, 2017

• Locked thread