Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Blunderstorm posted:

Hello amd thread.

I have a 990fxa-ud3 board and a fx6300. I'm planning on getting a gtx1070 soon. Would I be fine with the cpu? Or would I need to upgrade? Only reason I got the fx6300 was cause I bought it off a friend really cheap, I know the fx series aren't the greatest.

I had that CPU and upgraded to a 6600K recently and my R9 280 saw about a 10-20% increase in minimum fps in most of my games and a 30% increase in a few of them at 1080p. That CPU will definitely bottleneck a 1070, but it really depends on what resolution you're playing at and what you consider playable fps. As the previous poster said, you'll probably be better off with a 1060 if you're playing at 1080p.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

PBCrunch posted:

AMD GPU performance does seem to be more CPU-dependent than Nvidia GPU performance. Some games are much more CPU-dependent (Cities Skylines) than others (Crysis 3).

Now is a pretty crappy time to buy a CPU. Kaby Lake and Zen are both around the corner. I would suggest you wait for now. Kaby Lake may be a requirement for Intel's Optane storage technology. Zen might force Intel to get competitive on price again.

Yeah, Cities: Skylines had probably the biggest improvement out of any of my games.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

:ms: good time to buy ddr4-3200 right now!

Looks like G. Skill still makes the cheapest DDR4 3200 with 14 CAS, even though the price has gone up a little in the past few months. I'm super happy I got it when 16GB was only $105.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

:worship:

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Don Lapre posted:

Who else finds Dr. Lisa Su incredibly attractive?

I'd never paid much attention to her except for the Ryzen keynote, and HOLY MOLY, is she a babe or what? I've always had a thing for older women, and boy... she's got the whole package. Smart as hell too... I'd love to take her out for dinner and talk about the world! Haha.
What do you guys think?

Hank Hill account spotted

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Personally, I blame Microsoft for firing their entire test division. Has Barnacules said anything about Ryzen?

Wendell's idea about presenting Ryzen as two logical sockets looks like it might have more merit than at first blush.

The second and third to last episodes of Tech Talk were about Ryzen, but I don't think he's said anything outside of those. Also, I'm sad that Tech Talk is done. :(

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

New Zealand can eat me posted:

I've been seeing more and more posts of 4.2-4.3 on people that had otherwise given up on going past 4.1 on the various enthusiast spots, so I'm not so sure that's true anymore.

E: I can get away with 4175 if I really want to use absurd voltages, but I think if I had way more power states it would definitely be stable past that. I leave it at 4100 because that seems the most stable with this board.

Yeah, some people are getting slightly better overclocking results now that there have been some bios updates.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Lungboy posted:

The 7700k is in lots of the reviews that are out there.

What is the recommended ram for a Ryzen system at the moment? I'm interested in an ASRock ab350M Pro4 but there are very few options at even 3000hz, and zero at 3200. Given that Ryzen seems to love higher speed ram, that's rather annoying.

G. Skill Flare X is 3200MHz 14CAS made specifically for Ryzen CPUs.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820232530&cm_re=g_skill_flare_x-_-20-232-530-_-Product

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Stanley Pain posted:

So if I were to go out and get a Ryzen CPU + Mobo + RAM Right meow, what would be the best option if I wanted to run memory as fast as possible? Going to be upgrading an i7-3770K

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Stanley Pain posted:

Which CPU and Mobo?

The Asus Crosshair 6 Hero is the only motherboard I've seen tested with that memory kit, but I'm sure there are other options. If you're looking for the best overall CPU for the money it would be the R7 1700 since most of them can be overclocked to around 4GHz, eliminating the need for one of the more expensive CPUs.

Obsurveyor posted:

16GB for $174 is a bummer though.

Yeah, that does suck. Also, I've only seen 16GB kits of 3200MHz so far.

Regrettable fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Apr 12, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Dante80 posted:

This is the one I have bought, I will report on it (and its compatibility with Asrock Taichi) as soon as I have it.

JayzTwoCents got good results on the Asus Crosshair 6 Hero, but I haven't seen Taichi results yet. G. Skill says it's compatible with it, though.

• Locked thread