Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.

Verizian posted:

Zacate is the mobile/desktop middle ground chip right? So it's going in mid to high end laptops, budget desktops, media HTPC's and there were rumours last year that it could fit into a 12" or larger tablet.
Of course it would have had heat/battery issues in a tablet and according to market research nobody wants one bigger than 10".

Zacate is ultra-portable only. Llano (later BD?) will go into laptops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

spasticColon posted:

What would be neat is if Llano could make gaming on a laptop cheaper and more feasible.

That is not too hard. Look at what AMD did with the E350, they are known for GPU excellence.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

Anand Lal Shimpi is rather unsubtlely confirming the BD at Computex rumor on Twitter.

Sinestro fucked around with this message at 22:57 on May 24, 2011

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

Space Gopher posted:

TDP isn't a great way to look at power consumption and battery life any more. It specifies a sustained maximum power draw, but it doesn't give you any information about how the chip performs with lighter loads. Intel's current Sandy Bridge mobile quads have high TDPs, but still get excellent battery life under typical light-usage scenarios like web browsing because they're aggressive about clocking down, sleeping, and even gating off parts of the CPU that aren't in active use. It remains to be seen if AMD can match Intel's progress on that front, but I wouldn't assume that a 45W TDP automatically means poor runtime.

Wow, I am now even more excited about Bulldozer.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

There is some talk that BD isn't going to show up at Computex because "client" means Llano, and the Q3 server release will include the workstation/enthusiast parts.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

fishmech posted:

I have to say I agree with this, it just never made sense to me to do it. Not having an FPU was bad on single core CPUs back in the 90s - why would we make sure that a design in the 2010s lacked an FPU for half the cores?

Especially since it seems like it was kinda supposed to be the AMD version of hyperthreading.

That is not true. There are 2 128-bit FPUs in a module, but for 256-bit FP calculation, they can fuse. Unless AVX is being used on one core, there are two FPUs, each tied to one core.

Sinestro fucked around with this message at 02:15 on May 31, 2011

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

Mods, please rename it to "Bulldozer - Duke Nukem Forever is coming out before this chip", or if that is too long, abbr. Duke Nukem Forever to DNF.

Thanks.

Sinestro fucked around with this message at 16:26 on May 31, 2011

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

Updated the OP.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

E2M2 posted:

So is there a price range on how much these new Bulldozer CPUs will cost? And the new motherboards?

We won't know.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

Sorry for the many title changes, but could a mod please rename this to "AMD's Next Generation CPUs: Now departing Llano station, next stop Bulldozer."

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

:smith: Wow, I hope this isn't a trend.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

I think it is ~2600K.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

Llano is the chip without a market. Anyone who would want one would get SB + /[H|Z]6\d/ using the IGP, or AM3 + dGPU. :iiam: why AMD thinks there is a big market for "lovely CPU with good (for a IGP) GPU". The laptop performance is poo poo vs the category of "Any dGPU + SB", and Optimus makes the batt. life compatible to a IGP. The notion of Llano in the desktop is laughable, because the desktop is the land of the power user, where Intel is king. I guess for gaming on a *very* tight budget at 720p resolutions, it might make sense.

But enough :spergin: for now.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

Previa_fun posted:

Is this necessarily true? I didn't think AMD ever had a chip competitive with the Core i5 series at any price point and that was one of their problems.

They were created to be in the same space as AMD's Black Editions. That is, to be otherwise normal CPUs with no multiplier lock. If AMD leaves, then we may be back to the Ultimate Edition being the only unlocked chip, but without the ability to overclock the locked chips.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

AMD at this point is basically a really bad experimental art group. They do things that are almost vaguely promising, but you know that it will be done terribly so you don't care.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

Well, AMD continues to act like Twitch Manages a Multinational Technology Corporation.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

940 pins were sturdy at least and salvageable if you had a mechanical pencil.

I wonder about the 1331 here though :ohdear: Probably won't be as bad if they're the same diameter but the pin bases will have to cut it real close.

Leave it to AMD to make a modern(?) microprocessor where the most advanced, revolutionary component is the sheer oddity of the socket it's on.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

Well, just being vaguely competitive in gaming is pretty impressive for AMD, sadly. They're 23% behind the i7-4790 with a 11% clock speed advantage right now. Measured in the very unscientific environment of AotS at least, the Zen ES' performance per clock is 1.76 points/MHz compared to the average Vishera performance per clock of 1.08 points/MHz. That's 63% more performance per clock, which is... kind of loving incredible.

edit: Apparently, if it has to do with computers, Zen is always spelled with an X, even when it isn't.

Sinestro fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Aug 10, 2016

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

That's a couple percentage points higher than their estimate of 40% over Excavator, which is 15% over Vishera.

Dollars to donuts they're hoping for the actual silicon to break 4ghz though, because they sorely need it if they want mindshare.

Oh, it's not objectively good, it's just looking like there's some shred of evidence that those claims might be true by any possible metric.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

Most server boards are, it's really sad. Part of the reason that I'm waiting for Zen is hoping that core counts on normal sockets will go up, and that maybe more inventive motherboard designs will be more common. I want an ITX board with 4 SO-DIMM slots, and for there to be 32GB SO-DIMMs. Before anyone laughs at me, I'm running out of memory with the 48 GB I have in my desktop, and I'd want to go with the nuclear option instead of 'just' 64 GB. I want to fit 8 cores or some huge ES server processor if they become cheap and available like the Xeon ones and a ton of RAM into a N-CASE with a few huge hard drives and a water cooling radiator (or two if I'm dreaming, it's possible it'd just be really hard to get it all in there).

I mean, that's not actually possible right now, but it's what I want... I want a good video card and a lot of cores and ram and drive space in the smallest possible space. I hope that the Kimera Cerberus becomes a thing instead of just having one run once that will probably come when I have no money, either more cases like it or just continued production... But this is way better for the SFF thread.

Sinestro fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Aug 19, 2016

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

Well, I can't fit more than three drives in there at most, so I think I'd be fine. I mean, spinning ones. I could stick a SATA SSD somewhere in there just hiding since it doesn't need to be that secure. Wish there was an M2 slot somehow, though. Why I really wish MATX cases that weren't nearly as big as ATX cases (or even ATX cases that built to be as small as possible) were a thing.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

Watch as it applies the overclock when the service starts up in Windows and makes it impossible to overclock an AMD processor and then use Linux on it.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

I honestly really want to see what they're going to do for 2P workstation/server chips. Intel has done some amazingly appalling things WRT to Xeon pricing/tiering.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

He's not a fanboy at all, he's an AMD fan. I'm a huge AMD fan, as well.

The difference is that we're willing to admit that AMD has been getting their rear end kicked inside out for a while now, but you can't say things are so bad that looking at what's been released and deciding that it looks good is enough to make you a fanboy.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

I'd be happy to just redo this one's OP, too.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

That's what I was planning on.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

I actually kinda see what they might be doing. If Vega is as good as some people think it's going to be, there might be a pretty big value to holding back Zen and either tuning it as much as they can or just waiting to launch them both at the same time, if they think that they can simultaneously beat the top Intel CPUs and the top NVIDIA GPUs in one big event, that'd be bigger for their momentum than putting them out separately.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

Yeah, that was including the VAT of approximately 20%, so $500 for the top SKU isn't out of the question in the US.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

Comparing it with the 7700K for ST performance is pretty dumb. If it happens to be a miracle or an actual overclocker's dream then that's lovely, but what matters really is that it's ahead of the 6900K, which it seems to be.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

I mean, it's also probably gonna be a pretty big difference in terms of binning, so it's not that different than a binned/premium GPU really. I'm excited to see what the price curve looks like when they hit sites like silicon lottery, though.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

I'm writing a new OP right now, it'll probably be up this afternoon.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

Rastor posted:

Sinestro how is the new OP coming

I decided to wait until today, since it would have needed massive retooling when the embargo dropped anyway. Should be tonight, I just need to put things together when I get home from work, I know what I want to say.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

Ah, that's nice! So yeah, it'll be March 2nd, which is what I thought before.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

On the other hand, there are rumors about Ryzen having a poo poo-ton of errata for it, so they could just be pushing out bug fixes and not wanting to have the chips forever marred by bad benchmarks from the initial release getting listed in charts and compared to other stuff, regardless of what the reality of the situation is, which is something that's bitten them in the rear end before.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

WAR DOGS OF SOCHI posted:

for the more casual followers of this sort of stuff, what does "errata" refer to in a CPU?

That'd be UEFI firmware updates or microcode (the actual 'firmware' that makes the CPU do useful stuff, to vastly oversimplify) that either fix bugs in the code or work around unnoticed edge cases and problems with the silicon. Think of the Phenom TLB bug, for example.

edit:

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Im guessing reviewers cant release a review that doesn't follow AMDs guidelines if they received a kit from AMD right?

Depends on the exact agreement used, but if they don't actually get into breach of contract territory they're still very unlikely to get review samples in the future.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

It's honestly what I expected, but not what I hoped for. It's a chip that's great for creators or anyone who uses their computer for more than one thing, but on the other hand it's not a great CPU for the Facebook-and-L33T-G4MEZZZZZZZZZZZ market lumpenproletariat.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

teagone posted:

better at basketball than you

Well, on a good day at least.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

That's why people are so interested in the scheduling, because Cinebench is doing the same thing on all cores, so it'll not care as much about cache incoherence across clusters.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

BurritoJustice posted:

The CPU-Z benchmark is inaccurate for Ryzen, as it was made with 256MB L3 cache in mind and the Ryzen has 512MB. Other than that, neat. It is amusing that your CPU gets four times the cinebench score of my stock 3570K.

I really can't understand where people are coming from with this stuff, since actual workloads are not being designed around that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

I've got a fairly significant portion of what I am gonna put in the new OP (Jesus Christ I'm sorry it's been this long, I've just been busy and it's been a slow process to have things settle down). I'd love some thoughts on what else to include, outside of some stuff about the future (Raven Ridge and Snowy Owl, maybe a mention of Pinnacle Ridge?).

https://pastebin.com/raw/eeZKLZVq

• Locked thread