Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

It would be really interesting to see a complete timeline of chipset and platform fuckups from Intel, AMD, Via, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

If I was king of AMD, I would start innovating in other areas - low power, mobile, embedded, etc. The only way to stave off the company eventually dying is to branch out into some new technology where they don't have to compete head-on with Intel. Of course that's much easier said than done, it would take mountains of capital to invest in R&D and I really doubt AMD could make that happen.

Actually what it really takes is a loving excellent CEO and I don't think AMD has had one within the past decade or so.

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

Bloody Antlers posted:

Nature has a way of eventually introducing parity wherever competition exists.
Huh? This is the technology industry, not nature.

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

Man, this is beyond pathetic. AMD really has no hope of regaining any lost ground. Especially considering windows 8 is coming soon, and it will run on ARM, the old battle of Intel vs AMD will just become irrelevant. It's going to be Intel vs ARM. No one in their right mind is going to buy this lovely loving processor.

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

Well what I mean is, Intel wants to compete in the mobile device world (phones and tablets) and they couldn't give a poo poo about AMD. With Win 8 supporting ARM, that will give Intel extra incentive to compete, because every Win 8 tablet or phone with an ARM inside is a lost sale for Intel.

I could be wrong, Win 8 on ARM could be total poo poo, in which case Intel would not care. But I think it's going to become a big deal for them and for consumers in general.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

I'm finding it hard to feel too bad for AMD regarding that lawsuit. I always thought it was too much of a stretch to call one bulldozer module two cores. They shoulda seen some form of blow-back coming from a mile away.

• Locked thread