Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

pigdog posted:

Can confirm a noticeable performance gain in that game when overclocking my DDR3 sticks from 1333 to 1866 MHz

Bethesda_code.pptx

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Nam Taf posted:

Except that both basically finance cheaper parts for you, since the companies can use their stupidly disproportionate profit margins to reduce the margins on the components you buy.

Or just pay the executives/shareholders more.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Is open source microcode something that even Richard M. Stallman :rms2: would care about?

As I see it, it like his microwave: if it’s not immediately obvious if the device has firmware at all, then it doesn’t matter if the answer is “yes, and the source code is proprietary”.

http://www.linux-mag.com/id/255/ posted:

I’m not so much concerned with what goes on in some sort of appliance where you can’t load software. If you can’t copy any software onto the thing, then in some sense it doesn’t matter whether you’re allowed to copy this particular program.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
lol if your aluminum wasn’t created in open‐source stars

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Arzachel posted:

http://imgur.com/gallery/qheFr

AM4 mobo slides featuring :rice: leds.

quote:

since 1989 ASUS has shipped over 500,000 million motherboards

So, five hundred billion? They’ve shipped seventy motherboards for every man, woman, and child on the planet?

I find that hard to believe.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Remember that server farms exist, people often own multiple personal computing devices, and businesses frequently have more computers than employees, and due to usage business computers often need new parts more often than personal devices.

Windows XP sold a billion copies.

There are a few factors working for ASUS here—ASUS sold motherboards for longer than Microsoft sold XP, Windows licenses are transferable in some cases, not all computers run Windows, it is not possible to pirate a physical product—but there’s no way they did five hundred times as much business. They’re not even the world’s only manufacturer of motherboards.

Someone put too many zeroes in the number.

e: They celebrated 500 million sales in 2015.. They Didn’t sell 69.93 motherboards for every man, woman, and child on the planet in two years. Someone copied that figure but forgot how numbers work.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Feb 2, 2017

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I’m all about that single‐thread performance.

More cores are tolerate so long as they don’t sabotage that. :commissar:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

SwissArmyDruid posted:

It's R7/R5/R3 so that it matches up with i7/i5/i3, you people.

What ever happened to “but ours goes to eleven. :smuggo:”?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

wargames posted:

How many nano/mili seconds does it take to offload work?

Tens of microseconds.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
So how’s it looking for AMD in the portable market?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

SwissArmyDruid posted:

But! But guys! Having more cores and hyprethreading be mainstream means you can use CPU PhysX without a perf hit!

:goonsay:

(I can see an _actual_ AMD fanboy saying this now.)

Counterpoint:

Not with AMD’s floating‐point performance. :laugh:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

roadhead posted:

What is it about advancing to the next episode on Netflix that totally kills my frame-rates for about 1 second? I've got 32 gigs of RAM!

DRM is my guess

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It’s a reasonable tradeoff on the whole, but it’s a little (but only a little) like the FDIV bug:

Sure, it probably won’t affect you, but you never know when you’ll run some code where it does matter.

It’s tempting to pay the Intel tax and guarantee that can’t happen.

No one has ever been fired for choosing Intel.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

I'm sure Synology, Cisco, and a number of other network vendors will beg to differ.

https://www.reddit.com/r/networking/comments/5sbh7u/cisco_clock_issues_caused_by_faulty_intel_atom/

No one was fired for that outside of Intel because no one outside of Intel could possibly have known about the issue at the time of purchase.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Skuto posted:

Bullshit analogy. The chips don't produce wrong results.

The FDIV bug affected like 0.00000001% of operand combinations, and the results were only subtly wrong.

The negative perception was far in excess of the concern the problem warranted for most people.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It’s no big deal when hundreds of millions of dollars of research equipment are doing the work of half of hundreds of millions of dollars of research equipment.

No one is choosing between half‐speed AVX or erroneous FDIV. They can both be bad things. :ssh:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Platystemon posted:

It’s a reasonable tradeoff on the whole, but it’s a little (but only a little) like the FDIV bug:

It’s a psychological point. Not a technical one.

Next time I’ll stick with car analogies.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

that'd be prudent

AMD’s car goes the same speed as Intel’s and costs 30% less.

Except if your destination address is a divisible by 486, in which case AMD’s car is only half as fast. To be fair, the manual did mention this, and the guy at the Intel dealership wouldn’t shut up about it.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Feb 14, 2017

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Combat Pretzel posted:

--edit: ^^^ An urban legend? Really? I thought it was proved that it does happen?

Thermal effects are stronger, but who cares?

Bit flips happen occasionally. Silent data corruption is bad.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
lol if you don’t shield your computer with low‐radio lead salvaged from Roman shipwrecks.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Rexxed posted:

Single bit errors happen more regularly than you'd think:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aT7mnSstKGs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Sgaq6OYLX8

There’s also this one from DEFCON 21 that covers the same topic.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Don Lapre posted:

/r/the_ryzen

/r/alt_ryzen

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Gwaihir posted:

Is there a good reason for me to give a poo poo about having ECC ram on the box storing my linux ISOs? What is it protecting me against? If the result of a flipped bit in ram getting stored to disk is a flicker of a corrupted frame in a video file, it's not exactly something I think I'd worry about paying extra for, but I don't really know.

(I've seen tons of posts re: I WANT ECC FOR MY HOME SERVER and it occurred to me that I didn't know why).

Here’s an article where someone actually successfully tracks down a single bit error in some code.

Yes, chances are good that the effected data is will never be written to disk and that if it is, it’s something that isn’t critical like a video file.

But if bit flips in executable code, you’re in for a headache.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Truga posted:

It's this. This isn't even a time constraint on certifying things. A random gamma ray (and there are a lot in space) hitting the big 386 chip doesn't really have much chances of displacing something important. A high energy neutron hitting something in your modern <30nm arch is going to wreck it hard. 386 and 486 are perfect for that use, just due to the sheer size of each element.

That works for now, but for the future, will we keep the 486 foundries running, stockpile all the rad‐hard chips we could every possibly need, or rad‐harden newer tech?

Like, instead of having one processor where a gamma ray won’t do much, have a handful running in lock‐step with a bunch more as hot spares. When one of them disagrees with the consensus, restore it to a known good state. If it continues to err, remove it from the pool and bring a hot spare online.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Dante80 posted:

AMD SMT cores are mapped differently than Intel:
- Some websites claim than Intel logical core mapping is: thread 1 of every CPU 1,2,3..,8 and thread 2 of every CPU 9, 10, 11... 16.
- AMD Ryzen logical cores are apparently mapped sequentially (one core at a time): CPU1 = 1,2, CPU2 = 3,4... CPU8 = 15,16.

Why would they do this? :psyduck:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I mean, why would they not go with Intel’s convention?

This is a foreseeable outcome of the failure to do so.

I don’t care if AMD engineers think that this ordering scheme is more logical. When in Rome, do as the Romans do.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Beating x264 on “veryfast” is better than I expected for hardware encoding.

quote:

From this computer-generated rating with mainly the mse as criteria, you may come to the conclusion that NVENC is on par with x264 preset=veryfast (the default in OBS), or even a bit better, but unfortunately it isn't. At least for high motion scenes.

Well then.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
This is a tangentially related question, but I don’t know of a thread it fits in better and we’re on the subject anyway:

What hardware do commercial video streaming services use for encoding?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

how would a qualitative measure of how close a compressed file compares to the lossless original not imply how good it is? I mean, i'm sure you could cheat it if theres like a repeating pixel pattern or something as the only difference, but for the most part it'd be accurate especially if you keep file size into account.

It turns out that people are not computers.

I mean, psychoacoustic/psychovisual weirdness is the basis of modern audio/video impression.

If the human brain primarily cared about strict numerical deviation, we wouldn’t be using the H.264 codec at all.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Paul MaudDib posted:

So yes, a computer actually can tell you whether it sounds good or not. At least, if your psychoacoustic model is a good one. No, they aren't perfect, yes, they usually are better than subjective reviewers. Ever read head-fi or some of the other "audiophile" forums to see what happens when you let subjective reviewers jerk themselves off?

A numerical comparison will never be better than a good, blind comparison made by actual human beings because you’re attempting to discern is human opinion.

As good as a computer model of a building might be, it will never more accurate than constructing the building and testing the real thing.

More convenient, definitely, but not more accurate.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Mar 5, 2017

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I would like to suggest that it is not actually that hard to label some clips “A”/“B” and ask some people which looks better.

Computational testing is useful when you are developing an encoder, but when you are comparing a handful of existing options, that’s not an insurmountable volume to test on real live people.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

NewFatMike posted:

I mean the XPS 15 has a 97Wh battery in a small form factor with a dGPU, so hopefully more OEMs jump on that because that with a badass APU is pretty much all I want for Christmas.

Why do you particularly care how good the iGPU is if then system has a dGPU?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Rastor posted:

You're saying if you already manufactured a wafer of 8-core parts and some of them failed verification on half the cores, it is better to place those in the garbage can than to sell them for $150 each?

If you have enough failed octocores to fill the demand for quadcores, you’re doing something wrong.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

The Iron Rose posted:

While the marginal production cost might be pretty low, you still have to compensate for the billions and billions of dollars spent in research, so it's not as simple as Intel earning a few hundred dollars of profit for every CPU sold.

Same reason why medicine is so expensive in the United States. The vast majority of pharmaceutical research is performed in the U.S., often by private entities, and recouping that cost means selling your product significantly above the marginal production cost.

Yes but the question was whether the marginal cost savings of a smaller die is worth the retooling.

For that question, marginal cost and the cost of retooling are important. The development cost of the architecture is not.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The Horrible Mechanical Failures thread in AI had a derail recently where everyone added up lifetime cylinders/displacement/horsepower/engines owned.

Let’s not do that with pixels/monitors.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
“40 tabs open” is like “40 programs open”. Results could vary wildly depending on which forty.

Actually, it’s worse than that, because browser is a factor as well.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Malcolm XML posted:

Obviously. They are gonna die harvest the 2 ccx non apu core to make these

They could die harvest four good cores all in the same CCX, though.

Eliminates switching problems, at the expense of smaller total cache.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

SwissArmyDruid posted:

https://www.pcper.com/news/Processors/Ryzen-Locking-Certain-FMA3-Workloads

Saved you a click: Ryzen hardlocking on certain FMA3 workloads, a BIOS fix is on the way.

quote:

This may come at a cost through lower burst speeds to keep TDP within their stated envelope.

LOL good one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
This map was a little much for my iGPU.

You generally have to try to find web sites like that, though.

• Locked thread