Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Paul MaudDib posted:

Ryzen 2.0 might be a lot better, ryzen 5 as it exists now is basically 4-core Bulldozer 2.0.

golly when I think about ryzen's problems right now it's probably the Infinity Fabric, how about we make those plebs buy a bunch of 2x2 core chips instead of the 4x0 chips that might actually perform decently against - say - their i5 competitors instead of - say - the $50 bulldozers we'll try to offer instead?

But I guess the fanbase will buy anything we pump out at the 4-core-for-$200 price point, right?

i guess we can always fix it next stepping, right boys?

Too real, Paul. Dial it back a tad, buddy. Too real.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Someone asked ASUS to send them nudes. Joke request, but interesting photo response. Left is an AMD mobo, right side is an Intel.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Check them gains, brah.

https://www.pcper.com/reviews/Processors/Ashes-Singularity-Gets-Ryzen-Performance-Update

Courtesy of PCPer twitter, before and after of Ryzen performance pass.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Mar 30, 2017

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

I'm not seeing min frame results in those tests, what are they showing for that?

E-^^ I rechecked and assumed I was just missing something :v:

Maybe useful info.

I thought about excerpting that... but decided it wasn't necessary as they re-ran tests on 2400 MHz as well as 3200 MHz and have both results listed separately there.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
You mean the part where it says "32nm Vishera 95W" right in the middle wasn't warning enough?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Ihmemies posted:

Some dude at /r/amd claims he benchmarked ryzen with same memory at 2133 and 3200, and got pretty big difference in avg fps: https://www.reddit.com/r/amd/comments/62aigz

https://imgur.com/a/sbwqK

Will be interesting to see how close to 7700K amd can get with faster ram, bettwr bioses, optimized games & windows 10 game mode/optimizations. So far it looks like that at launch day a lot of performance was still on left on the table.

Huh. No difference in Blender. That is odd. Even if every thread is completely self-contained without any crosstalk between complexes, you'd think that they would still gain from the increased memory clock.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Risky Bisquick posted:

quote:

https://community.amd.com/community/gaming/blog/2017/03/30/amd-ryzen-community-update-2

I guess I'm benignly pleased about this.

When did we think that AMD was going to bring out their new stepping again? June-ish?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Was zur Holle?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Better hope so, I would expect a statement to be forthcoming.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
It would be hilarious if Ashes were being kept afloat solely by people buying it for benchmarking purposes.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Except you can't even run it a thousand times, because _the benchmarks get better over time_ because of the branch prediction learning thing.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I don't know how much it is. It was mentioned on a recent PCPer podcast in passing.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
In case you thought that we *weren't* headed towards our chips being assembled piecemeal going forward:

http://wccftech.com/intel-kaby-lake-g-hbm2-gpu-multi-die/

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

I'm going to chortle heartily if they use mini-vega for this

this at least opens up the option for them to do so.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I thought it was just to keep people from writing Victorian AU bodice-ripper fanfic involving AMD faces.

....no? Just me?

*discreetly closes notepad*

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Help us, DDR5. You're our only hope.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
No, just AM5. AM4's going to be re-used until 2020, remember?

Actually, I have serious doubts that DDR5 will actually addreess anything either, CAS latency numbers keep ballooning, and I don't remember if DDR5 was doing anything to address that.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Apr 6, 2017

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Paul basically stole my thunder and made every point for me.

I've put out some feelers and asked if Wendell and/or Ryan can do benchmarks with different CAS latencies as the variable and then to see if a significant correlation between tighter CL and benchmarks exists.

As an offering: David Kanter and Zen: http://techreport.com/review/31693/a-moment-of-zen-with-david-kanter-the-tr-podcast-190

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Apr 6, 2017

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
And we're saying, that only holds true in cases where the processor is Intel, because cases where an AMD processor are worthless.

It's why memory profiles are all tuned to Intel chips, because they were the only thing that was worth running.

Because of how the Infinity Fabric and memory controller are handcuffed to eachother, it stands to reason that there may exist a case where modern Zen-based processors running at a lower CL value display disproportionately better performance relative to any other knob that can be turned.

And that paper was written in 2015. All these articles and tests from before this year have an implicit "But this really only applies to Intel parts because of how lovely and irrelevent Bulldozer is."

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I don't know if I think CL value affects the speed of the fabric, but instead of saying "it doesn't, here are things proving that point that were run on Intel parts" I'm saying, "Well, time to find out if this holds true for Zen too!"

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Apr 6, 2017

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
So CL value has an inverse correlation with fabric speed, which in turn has negative effects on overall performance, but they're improving memory latency by up to 6ns with BIOS updates using the latest AGESA?

Maybe I am an idiot that needs to stop posting at 2 AM and go the gently caress to sleep, but something doesn't add up.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Salient number: 112 PCIe lanes.

https://www.servethehome.com/second-amd-naples-server-pictures-platform-block-diagram-112-pcie-lanes/

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I assume this means that itx x370 board that Biostar was showing off *still* hasn't made it to market yet?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

eames posted:

AMD CPU and Platfrom Discussion: I'm trying to force myself to use the Ryzen

I'm still on the fence for my next system. unRAID for example has an issue where it'll regularly crash on Ryzen unless the "global C-States" option is disabled, so the CPU never clocks down and idles at 80W. :bravo:
If anything it should make Skylake-X/Kabylake-X a bit more affordable.

The CPU never clocks down, or is it the same thing with Windows and the high-performance power profile and the CPU is better off managing its own resources?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
So, apparently the Bayonetta PC port is utterly unplayable on AMD CPUs right now? And not just Ryzen, everything going back to early Bulldozer is unplayable, or so I hear. :hmm:

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Retailer broke date, someone got an RX 570 early: https://www.reddit.com/r/amd/comments/652dnk

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Apr 13, 2017

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Seamonster posted:

I was also bent on getting 32g of 3200 memory for my upgrade from a 2500k so more waiting for me too.

Same, though at this point, I may be building a pair of R5 boxes with RX 570s for the stepbrothers instead of the doubleheaded R7 monster originally dreamed up.

(I spoil those two loving rotten.)

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
1500X or 1600, I'm not decided yet. 1600X not a big enough step up over the 1600 on the price/perf scale to warrant the stretch, imo. Something around the $800 mark per box, when all is said and done.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Apr 14, 2017

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Obsurveyor posted:

What's up with memory prices anyway? The same stuff I bought 6 months ago is 55% more expensive today and prices in general seem up from then. Thinking I should just pull 32GB out of my machine and use it on the new one, rather than drop up to $175 on freaking 16GB.

Toshiba tried to get into nuclear energy and failed. The Westinghouse subsidiary filed for bankruptcy protection, but it has severely injured the parent company itself. Their DRAM and NAND businesses are likely to be sold off to its competitors. Combined with the usual demand outstripping supply, you can expect it to get even worse in the fall.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Apr 14, 2017

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I couldn't have predicted how badly the Westinghouse bankruptcy affected Toshiba, but really, they overpayed like hell for it. Solar's most recent surge just absolutely put a stake into nuclear, though Fukushima certainly didn't help. But solar killed nuclear just the same way it's killing coal, faster than reams and decades of EPA regulation ever could: By being cheaper and lower-effort.

In any event, I *did* say back in January that commodity DRAM prices were on the rise again, and if you knew you were going to be building a new computer post-Ryzen/Kaby Lake launch, you might as well be scraping deals for memory between then and now. I feel slightly prophetic over that. =3

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Apr 14, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

fishmech posted:

Not at all? Coal's dying because of cheap natural gas, which is even relatively cheap to swap existing coal plants over to.

I mean the _most recent_ trend towards solar. Gas has been super cheap for about a decade now.

• Locked thread