Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

The amount of mad some of the comments in that article have:

quote:

With people willing to pay $1000 for a single core Celeron if it comes with Intel's logo on it, I guess AMD had to make them feel a little better by adopting Intel's color. It will also be easier for the engineers to convince their clueless superiors, that the cards are Intel hardware and not AMD. "Look at the color. It is Intel's Blue".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

At least the power efficiency of Polaris will actually fit one of the stronger use cases for an otherwise-overpriced brand.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

5870 was such a goddamn good card. What kind of power draw does that Q9550 have at 3.8+ GHz?

Edit: I ask because I've used a $45 Regor with a 5870 for years then gave it to a sibling who is still using it for web browsing today. I got lucky in the "it is an old Deneb and you can turn extra cores back on" lottery. Supposedly it still sips power.

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Aug 17, 2016

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

jm20 posted:

For reference my q9400 @ 3.2 and a R9 390 is drawing 300 from the wall playing games, 70w idle. So he's probably pulling around 60w-200w.

....huh. That's not terrible. I can't really attack using an overclocked C2Q system on the basis of power consumption / cost if the 3.8 overclock does indeed fall within that range.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

23% growth is good, but from where? Graphics sales? Low-end laptop cpus?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Nothing a good dose of corporate espionage couldn't fix.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Said it before I could post. Haswell is a great place to be, and progress is slowing down generation by generation. Now for AMD to price this realistically - AND beyond where Intel would simply price drop old hardware and kill Zen in the cradle.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Nintendo's next console going to the NX really doesn't help AMD, does it? Global Foundries is making their Tegras.

To my knowledge, this would make Nintendo the first console corp to include an actual, honest-to-god COTS GPU in a system. That's....possibly attractive given the performance of Tegra-accelerated devices over Xbone / PS4. (I am only parroting articles citing stuff like SHIELD devices pushing easy 1080p 60FPS for the new DOOM where the Xbone can barely deliver 720p and very choppy 45-50 fps). If that actually works out and the power of their full-handheld-but-dockable-console isn't intentionally cut in the name of battery life, it would be hilarious to see Nintendo possibly force the rest of the console market forward with good hardware.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I dramatically mis-understood the article, so I'm going to offer a lame excuse of "It was 12:15 am and I was trying to sleep with a cold"

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

What would manufacturing chips on bigass 450mm wafers accomplish?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

If you want a classical matter wave approach to the issue, note that the deBroglie wavelength of an electron with standard rest mass and 1eV of kinetic energy is 1.23nm.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

PBCrunch posted:

Couldn't a manufacturer just put smaller die chips on the outside of the wafer to minimize tiling losses? Like GTX 1080 chips in the middle and GTX 1050 chips kindof feathering the edges?

Noap. The order in which you run a wafer through different machines changes based on the chip you're processing. Each step is hideously expensive, so I strongly doubt you'd want to run extra jobs just to make a little more money at the fringe of the wafer. Source: friend who used to work in a POWER fab.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Not-premium-but-still-good SanDisk x400 1TB will run you $230. It's insane.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

unlike most of amd's marketing team's output, this is legitimately great

whoever bought me an unban and a titanfall 2 avatar: thanks! <3

that's actually a gay space marine, and you're welcome <3

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Is there any reason to believe AMD will actually price 8x Haswell cores in the ballpark of something like $350?

That would be awesome, but it's just as likely they'll put it in an awkward dead zone between high-end Intel -K desktop and the $1000 enthusiast xeon poo poo unless there's already MSRPs or other pricing guidance out. Is there?

Would you buy a $650 or $700 Zen octocore that's under Haswell performance or just say "gently caress it" and pay the rest of the way to Intel's octocore?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Risky Bisquick posted:

Yet to be seen how high it can clock with its 25mhz fractional/crazyhigh multiplier boost. 4ghz+ seems plausible which will make the platform very attractive.

We know this how? (Why is 4+ plausible? I gotta see some facts before :jackbud:)

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

If you need 1TB+ ECC RAM, aren't you doing something professionally that justifies the cost of full-ham server hardware that pushes the discussion out of the scope of desktop / SOHO computing?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Deathreaper posted:

Glad to see a U.2. port on the motherboard

Wait wh--HOLY poo poo :gizz:

u.2 is a goood future -- if we can embrace it.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Would I buy that for $300? $350? If it truly is Haswell performance and 8c?

......probably.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Haven't full-color touch panels been a thing for extravagant keyboards for years?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I'm having trouble wrapping my head around how Global Foundries isn't responsible for manufacturing fuckups and how that's on the customer's tab.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

FaustianQ posted:

Going to be so weird to go "LOL buying Intel TYOOL 2017".

Thread title, please.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

quote:

In addition to the exotic LN2 cooling, the Ryzen 7 1800X needed 1.875 volts to hit 5.20 GHz. That 5.20 GHz was achieved by setting the base clock at 137.78 MHz and the multiplier at 37.75. Using these settings, the chip was even stable enough to benchmark with a score of 2,363 on Cinebench R15’s multi-threaded test.

But how does it perform attached to a passive radiator in spaaaaaaace?

WTFTECH: SpaceX announces 2018 OC tourism in free return orbit around dark side of moon, clocks promised to be "out of this world"

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Mar 1, 2017

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

FuturePastNow posted:

I think they have to watercool the 486 processors that run the International Space Station's core functions because space is such a poo poo place to cool things.

Loss of cooling is one of the most urgent emergencies ISS can encounter.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

ISS uses 386. Hubble is on 486. Certification for flight takes a long rear end time.

Also, reminder that the aerospace industry loves ADA.

http://www.ada-auth.org/cpl/lists/CPLbase.html

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

perchance was it you who bought anandtech

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

16MB L3, 6c, 65W for $220?

Jesus, sign me the gently caress up. I'm digging how the r5 line is mostly keeping the fuckoff-huge l3 cache.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Goflo iteration may get us there, who knows. I can only look at the present, and that poo poo is sexy

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

did anyone who wrote that article ever actually work in it

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

all this trouble for the least significant factor in your computer's performance

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I clearly need to do reading on infinity fabric and not carry over performance concepts from Intel chips.

AMD performance really is tied to ram frequency in a stronger way than intel's "get to this line and anything faster is just diminishing returns" ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Risky Bisquick posted:

Wasn't this known to be a rambus design? I couldve sworn I'd read that before launch or in a launch article.

That was a topic of lengthy discussion, idk how someone following zen could have missed it.

• Locked thread