Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

spasticColon posted:

Now that I already pulled the trigger on a 2500K setup I'm sure AMD will now make their big comeback. :negative:

AMD will find someway of screwing it up, like dodgey third party chipsets or some CPU bug.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

I knew AMD would drop the ball somewhere with this CPU. Both good and sad that I have been proven right.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Not A Gay Name posted:

It was a poor contract with Nvidia as I understood it. It was a off the shelf Geforce 3 (or 4, can't remember for sure) and as retail prices dropped Nvidia had MS locked into paying the original high price. Left a sour taste in the mouth so they went with ATI.
Yeah, Nvidia screwed Microsoft hard there, which is strange considering the lawyers that MS has, they should've seen that coming.

There is no way Microsoft were going to deal with Nvidia after that little episode. The 360 was a rush job, as the RROD issue showed in the early versions. I'm sure if Nvidia didn't screw MS so hard, MS wouldn't have killed the original XBox so quickly and would've spent more time developing the 360 and not have the hardware issues they had.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

Why would you think the current administration or the next for that matter would bust them up? The last few administrations have been incredibly pro big business/mega corp and have allowed massive consolidation in many areas. They didn't even bust up the banks after they helped to trash the economy, hell they made them bigger as part of a "solution". They sure haven't broken up MS either.

I'd really be surprised if they did anything if AMD essentially torpedoes itself with a bad product or something.

Yep, I think some people think that the US Government still has the anti-monopoly views that it had back in the early 20th century. The Government has learnt to leave the corporations well alone these days (I mean Microsoft manage to easily survive attacks against it about monopolising the OS market)

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Bob Morales posted:

It's a shame we don't have companies like Cyrix or NexGen around anymore.

At least we still have VIA!
Well VIA is pretty well using old Cyrix designs

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

AMD has lost another two executives.

Losing the guy who was instrumental in video game console contracts to NVIDIA seems devastating to me.
Word is Nvidia have got the contract to make GPUs for the next XBox, so that's probably related.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Looks like that's going to save AMD's arse if it is true, a bit like with Apple's investment into Sharp for LCD panels

• Locked thread