Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wedesdo
Jun 15, 2001
I FUCKING WASTED 10 HOURS AND $40 TODAY. FUCK YOU FATE AND/OR FORTUNE AND/OR PROBABILITY AND/OR HEISENBURG UNCERTAINTY PRINCIPLE.

rscott posted:

most SiS stuff was terrifically unstable.

Counterpoint: ECS K7S5A :coolfish:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wedesdo
Jun 15, 2001
I FUCKING WASTED 10 HOURS AND $40 TODAY. FUCK YOU FATE AND/OR FORTUNE AND/OR PROBABILITY AND/OR HEISENBURG UNCERTAINTY PRINCIPLE.

Factory Factory posted:

More transistors, more voltage (power draw increases with the square of voltage). And probably something else going on, because I wrote this whole effortpost based on P=CV2f assuming C (capacitance) was constant given changes in V and f, and while the Intel CPUs in [H]'s overclocked power consumption results jived to a first approximation, the FX used a ton more power overclocked than using that formula would suggest.

I think C would be broadly proportional to transistor count, which makes sense given the power numbers.

Wedesdo
Jun 15, 2001

Looks like my crossfire 5870s will still be okay for a little while longer.

Wedesdo
Jun 15, 2001

^^^
That's really true. I bought 2 Radeons 5870s a year and a half after they came out (December 2010) for $300 total and they're still running strong.

Buying top-of-the-line is almost never worth it.

Wedesdo
Jun 15, 2001

Install Gentoo posted:

Reminds me of this kid who in 2011 was running XP Home (32 bit of course since 64 bit doesn't exist for it) on a 6 core AMD high end CPU, with 16 GB of RAM and two video cards, which needed to have power leads plugged into them, not having those plugged in so they were struggling by on PCI-Express power, and bragging about the system.

And in a separate forum on that same site, was asking for help for why his machine wasn't performing as good as it should, while insisting running a 32 bit 10 year old OS made it faster.

The funniest part: unless he was running Win XP x64 (which he probably wasn't), only ~3.2GB of that 16GB was actually usable.

Wedesdo
Jun 15, 2001

Its a 66mhz PCI slot. Shouldn't be too bad.

Wedesdo
Jun 15, 2001

Oooh boy. Time to kiss the $200 unlocked Intel Core i5s good bye.

Wedesdo
Jun 15, 2001

Wasn't the 690 supposed to be based on the GK100 chip, not 2 GK104s? Or will that be the 685?

Wedesdo
Jun 15, 2001

It may be a good idea if someone industrious and diligent started a Nvidia discussion thread or a general video card chat. We can probably discuss Nvidia more efficiently outside of the AMD megathread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wedesdo
Jun 15, 2001

Tom's review is here:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/a10-4600m-trinity-piledriver,3202.html

I have to say, I'm impressed by the new Piledriver cores. AMD turned the total poo poo Bulldozer into a half-way decent CPU. It still doesn't match Sandy Bridge (and definitely not Ivy), but the Piledriver cores does get a lot closer and is certainly "good enough" for many people. And the GPU beats HD 4000 in almost every benchmark. Now if someone will put out a $600-700 14" 1600x900 IPS AMD Trinity ultrabook-style laptop I'd buy it for sure.

• Locked thread