Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom
If I'm building an AMD budget gaming system, I'm not buying a 6950 or $130 worth of RAM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom

JustAnother Fat Guy posted:

Can't AMD just use the literally booming profits from their graphics business(ATI/AMD Graphics) to pump into R&D for CPU's.

AMD had an operating income (that's profit after taxes, amortization, interest and all that other accounting poo poo) of $100 million on revenue of $1.2 billion for their CPU related operations last quarter, the operating income of the GPU business was $19 million on revenue of $413 million. As much as the GPU side of their business is the superior product in the marketplace, the CPU is still the engine that drives the companies profits.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom
Memory is a commodity part with extremely low margins, it won't help their bottom line. They will probably do something like bundle it with their CPUs to make them look like a better value to those that don't know better.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom
loving hell I wish AMD could license CUDA from Nvidia.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom

Agreed posted:

They don't even need to, their GPGPU is great with OpenCL (better than nVidia's). Though the real problem is api penetration, nVidia's pushed into that market with a lot of money that AMD/ATI can't match.

That's the rub, their stuff might be better, but everything I need uses CUDA. Adobe Creative Suite, DaVinci Resolve.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom

Agreed posted:

CUDA and the success of their workstation cards has some consequences to their general lineup, artificial market segmentation preventing the same processors from running higher precision GPGPU, reserving more advanced memory configurations for Quadro/Tesla (and I don't mean ECC, even entry-level Quadro cards have 3GB despite having about half the SMs and CUDA cores of a 580 - and they perform about twice as well for CUDA as a 570, iirc).

It depends on the CUDA application, I know with DaVinci Resolve, people are getting better results out of GTX 470s and 480s than they do out of Quadro 4000 and 4800s especially doing noise reduction, though that is admittedly an edge case.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom
AMD getting sued by laptop fabricator Quanta for allegedly supplying defective products:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-01-04/quanta-sues-amd-over-chips-for-nec-notebook-computers.html

probably not what investors and the market want to hear in regards to AMD right now.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom

Coredump posted:

Is it just me or is there a mental disconnect between people earlier in this thread preaching "buy the best for your money" as a reason to go Intel and calling out AMD "fanboys" are now the same people who are holding onto to their Nvidia cards even though AMD has the better cards out now?

AMD has the better cards now, and the price/performance crown, but my next video card will be Nvidia no matter what, because of CUDA. CUDA is an advantage for Nvidia that has no parallel in the AMD vs Intel CPU debate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom
You can never have enough space :colbert:

I'm an edge case and I know it.

• Locked thread