Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

I hope AMD finally pushes Intel to make 6 or 8 cores the new enthusiast "consumer" standard for the $200-300 price range. So far it looks promising

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Most people streaming on a single PC use NVENC anyways, even though it's lower quality

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

FaustianQ posted:

https://twitter.com/CPCHardware/status/818429683633127424

6C/12T is a confirmed thing, runs at about 65W, wonder why just two cores seems to make a large difference in power consumption, guess cache?

This would be amazing just for miniITX cases. All of the i7 4C/8T run too hot for most super small form factor cases when using a small heatsink.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

If the 8C/16T model is $490 and has a similiar Haswell level IPC then I might have to jump ship from my I7 6700K and eat the costs of selling it on Craigslist. The used CPU market is going to get destroyed though.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Does AMD do aggressive binning for their processors? I was wondering if it would be worth getting the 1800x over the 1700x

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

IPC going to exceed Haswell?

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

SwissArmyDruid posted:

There is _one_ use case where more cores improve VR, and that's in terms of tracking. I believe that Oculus dedicates an entire thread to each camera for positioning? In which case, it will gobble that poo poo up.

I don't know how the Vive handles their tracking, since the lighthouses are just strobing beacons.

How is VR benchmarking going to work? As someone who got a vive over the winter I'm interested in some VR benchmarks

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Beautiful Ninja posted:

That's literally the Kaby Lake i5.

E: On another tangent, now that I think about it, one of the reasons people are saying to go with a Ryzen over a Kaby Lake for gaming purposes is for streaming. Now that I think about it, the consumer CPU's have dedicated encoding hardware on them so you can use Quicksync. I haven't used QS yet myself, though plan to test it soon, wouldn't QS be plenty for the casual streamer for little performance hit?

Quicksync, just like NVEnc, sucks at lower bitrate compared to x264.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

What's the go to Ryzen motherboard? I see that both the B350 and the X370 allow for overclocking. Any reason to choose the X370 over the B350 if you're just planning to overclock and stick a GPU in it? I'd prefer an ITX mobo but they aren't released yet.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

eames posted:

Keep an eye on the power supply components. Most B350 boards I've seen have 4+2 phases which is ok for a future 4 core APU but barely enough for a 8 core CPU at stock frequency. Good X370 boards have up to 12+2 phases.

Thanks, this is the kind of info I wanted to know

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

I got a 1700 for $250. Can the wraith cooler over clock well or I am I better getting s hyper 212 or another aftermarket CPU cooler

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Dante80 posted:

Battlecruisers of that era were a priori designed to be larger than battleships. You needed the extra size for the extra speed (sounds somewhat counter-productive at first glance, but still true).

The problem was that Fisher (which viewed the class as his baby, even more than the dreadnought) did not factor in the fact that Battlecruisers were considered too expensive and powerful to NOT be used as ships of the line in the end.

And the battlecruiser was under no circumstances designed to directly deal with a dreadnought/battleship in an endurance fight. Or even another battlecruiser...they really were glass cannons as far as armor protection was concerned (you needed to sacrifice something for that speed after all).

Came in to post about how awesome my Ryzen 1700 system is, and how comparable it is to my i7 6700K system (except for the ram, WTF AMD, why can't I run my XMP profile at 3200MHz stable???)

Pleasantly surprised with boat history

I'm trying to force myself to use the Ryzen system as my main rig for the next couple of weeks. Besides the unstable overclocked ram XMP profile, it's been pretty comparable to my i7 6700k system.

The ram issue alone though makes me recommend the i7 7700k. I have no idea how to overclock ram manually and having to look it up is already a knock on the AMD ecosystem.

With my Z170 motherboard, it was as easy as turning on the XMP profile.

The biggest surprise is how the 1700 handles CPU streaming and gaming. It never misses a beat unlike my 6700k. Plus the temperature is MUCH cooler on the 1700 when CPU encoding through Adobe or OBS. This is with the 1700 overclocked to 3.7 on stock voltage.

Rabid Snake fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Apr 12, 2017

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

eames posted:

AMD CPU and Platfrom Discussion: I'm trying to force myself to use the Ryzen

I'm still on the fence for my next system. unRAID for example has an issue where it'll regularly crash on Ryzen unless the "global C-States" option is disabled, so the CPU never clocks down and idles at 80W. :bravo:
If anything it should make Skylake-X/Kabylake-X a bit more affordable.

To be fair, all of my workflow and stuff is on my i7 6700k System with an nVME Samsung 960 Pro drive. It's a pain to reinstall Adobe, frameworks, and all of that jazz. It's all been installed though so it's been peachy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Risky Bisquick posted:

Get Corsair vengeance LPX, 3000+ C14/C15/C16. The hynix chips should be good for 2933 now on all boards, the samsung b-die should work 3200 without BCLK shenanigans.

You're board of choice seems special snowflake there are not many validations here site:valid.x86.fr "ASRock AB350M"

Warning, the Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz is unstable on my Gigabyte AB360M Gaming 3 (MicroATX)

Running it at 3200, it boots but tends to make programs crash when under extreme load. You can game on it, but once you start encoding video it starts to bug out. I'll have to google a way to manually set the speed to match the 3000 MHz, which I heard runs stable.

• Locked thread