Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Do you have a source? I'm not doubting, I'd just like to know more about that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Combat Pretzel posted:

How exactly can you get NVMe performance wrong? Isn't it just shoveling data back and forth over PCIe?

That's what I thought. But I guess it's got to get from the bus to the cache and vice versa? Is that how it works?

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Yea, it's not so noticeable for me but system boot is faster noticeably. And I do copy a lot of fairly big files around, at which NVME absolutely flies at.

a lot of programs won't load noticeably faster as they're compressed. maybe cos of low queue depths.?

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Apr 2, 2017

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Subjunctive posted:

Do you mean that the executable is compressed? Could you give an example of a major program that does this?

Reading more, I could be absolutely wrong about that being a general thing :v: sorry. But app loads are often not much faster, I guess cos the read speeds advertised are at high queue depths?

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Is AMD's new APU going to be full Zen, a single CCX, with HBM? Does it have SMT?

E- yea looks that way. Wonder what the HBM will do for min framerates with discrete cards.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Apr 4, 2017

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

probably close to what crystalwell did

It could be a really great chip for min frames. As Zen loves memory bandwidth it'll be interesting to see.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

It's been ages since I've taken a heatsink off and it conveniently pulls the chip out the socket as well. Good times.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

I wonder if that BIOS update is low hanging fruit and it won't do much for performance.

How does memory speed affect game performance on a single ccx Ryzen?

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Is it a 1700 or one of the X chips?

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

So whats the take from these overclocked with fast ram, vs a 6600k / 7600K at around 4.8Ghz with fast ram?

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Twerk from Home posted:

More cores, way more threads, slower single threaded. Same story as the R7s, but cheaper?

They're mentioning frametimes - but I didn't see what Ram speed they were running on the intel systems to get a real idea about the implications.

E - are they running the Intel systems at 2133Mhz RAMs? They mention AMD Ram speed but not Intel in all the charts?

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Apr 11, 2017

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Just a heads up about that AMD vs I5 article :

I commented on the article asking for the Intel memory speeds used, and they DELETED MY COMMENT.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

It's really likely I missed something and they are there, but I thought that was weird of them.

Did I dumb?

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

It's mostly because if an overclocked R5 is a better proposition for consistent frametime then an overclocked i5 (Which I have) then that makes me happy.

But I'd like to know if they're maxing out the mem speed for the Intel systems too.

I hope they aren't doing something awful like running the Intels at 1600Mhz / 2133MHz or some poo poo. They really should state that.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Apr 12, 2017

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Scarecow posted:

You sound like your really keen to jump onto a conspiracy theory or something dude

I assumed they might suck as reviewers. It's a shame they are maxing out Ryzen's memory controller but not the Intel chips.

I didn't spot the Intel memory speeds as I just searched page 1 for "intel" :downs:

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Apr 12, 2017

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

It's interesting they have a 1700x in there running 3466MHz memory. That's a decent memory clock.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Apr 12, 2017

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Unngggg hurry the gently caress up with Vega, Raja.

Although at least the 580 / R5 launching close together is pretty good timing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Frametime seems more consistent then i5, even overclocked, max frames are lower, single core performance is lower, multithreading better then i5's.

I'd get one, my main priority is game smoothness and I don't run any intensive single threaded apps.

• Locked thread