Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
madprocess
Sep 23, 2004

by Ozmaugh

Alereon posted:

I was typing up a post but then I decided that instead we should all have a group hug and agree that if you wanna spend >$350 on your CPU and motherboard you should buy Intel, and if you don't you should buy AMD, and everyone can decide for themselves which group they fall into for their own reasons. Also I want to see an Intel Cedar Trail Aton and a 28nm die-shrunk AMD E-series duke it out for low-power x86 supremacy later this year or maybe next. My money is on the E-series because I still think Intel has no loving clue about the Atom.

I'm sorry but I must inform you that if your son has requested a new "processor" from a company called "AMD", this is genuine cause for alarm. AMD is a third-world based company who make inferior, "knock-off" copies of American processor chips. They use child labor extensively in their third world sweatshops, and they deliberately disable the security features that American processor makers, such as Intel, use to prevent hacking. AMD chips are never sold in stores, and you will most likely be told that you have to order them from internet sites. Do not buy this chip! This is one request that you must refuse your son, if you are to have any hope of raising him well.

kidding of course

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madprocess
Sep 23, 2004

by Ozmaugh

Nonpython posted:

Is this a reference to something? If so, do tell.

Oh it's a decade old slashdot troll or something parodying both the AMD/Intel rivalry and your standard fear mongering reporting about computers.

madprocess
Sep 23, 2004

by Ozmaugh

adorai posted:

There are a few applications that windows 8 on arm will likely get and will allow it to be successful. Citrix Receiver and VMware View client. With those two applications, an inexpensive, low power windows PC could definately see some success.

In business perhaps, but if you're just remoting in you don't need full Windows 8 locally in the first place. When the solution to not having or not being able to run applications is to just run them elsewhere, you can use any OS or CPU locally.

• Locked thread