Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
Zacate is the mobile/desktop middle ground chip right? So it's going in mid to high end laptops, budget desktops, media HTPC's and there were rumours last year that it could fit into a 12" or larger tablet.
Of course it would have had heat/battery issues in a tablet and according to market research nobody wants one bigger than 10".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
I'm not too worried about lack of competition letting Intel get lazy.
Both Android and iOS gaming is taking off while Windows 8 for ARM cpu's will run any 64bit binary that the x86_64 architecture can run. There will probably be some performance limited 32bit VM solution for older apps too.

by 2014 I predict the situation will be Intel for performance, ARM for mobility and AMD as a middleground. All of which will be powerful enough to run any game or entertainment app in High Definition that can be run on the WiiU, 360 or PS3. Likely any successor consoles released in 2015-2017 too.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
I may have misremembered it but pretty sure someone linked an article in the winows8 thread where MS stated that any current 64bit windows applications will work on Windows 8 for ARM. I'm assuming 32bit support will be a third party VM plugged into the new tile system or running in legacy desktop mode. -edit. Misread your post, yes Intel claimed that there was no way it could work. Then over the following week ARM, nVidia, and Microsoft basically all issued press releases that basically read as a large string of laughter and corporate speak for "Liar liar pants on fire".

They also said a few weeks ago that Windows 8 development would be mostly HTML5 based while arstechnica.com clarified things a bit.

Verizian fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Jun 25, 2011

• Locked thread