Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
Top end 8 core desktop part, FX-8130P so 125w TDP. Supposed to cost around $300 or so if the rumors hold up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Factory Factory posted:

Where does the FX-8130p fit in, exactly?
Its a top end enthusiast part, pretty niche so AMD fans would buy it even if it doesn't overclock well. If the motherboards work out to be cheap enough there could be some platform value I guess.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
Hardocp is saying now that MS is to go with what amounts to a customized version of a BD based APU. Very much rumor mongering but would make more sense than them going with Cell for X720 or whatever. That would be a pretty big win for AMD, maybe even bigger than getting their GPU in all the next gen consoles, if true of course.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
AMD may be willing to sell them a long term liscence to the chip itself which I don't think Intel was willing to do. If so it might be made on TSMC's bulk process and not GF's custom or maybe even their bulk process which would make more sense if they're looking to control the manufacture of their next console as much as possible.

Alereon posted:

Keep in mind that this generation of consoles is all about cost reduction, both in terms of bill of materials but ESPECIALLY hardware development investment. I'd love to see AMD develop some custom APU with a wide GDDR5 memory bus, but I think it's more likely that any console using a Bulldozer APU will use a regular AMD Trinity APU (Bulldozer cores plus VLIW4 graphics) and a custom chipset to provide a low-cost integrated platform.
I'm actually expecting something like a more updated version of X360 which has worked out very well for MS both cost and performance wise over all. Give it some more eDRAM or put some small fast GDDR5 on package with the APU and then have one big pool of GDDR5 on a "narrow" 128 bit bus as the main RAM (the 6-7Ghz stuff might be commonly available by then) and you might have one heck of a machine for cheapish. I know MS was making money/broke even on their hardware far sooner than Sony did, I think it was after a year from launch or so. I'm assuming they'll be targeting 1080p as the standard resolution which even mid range GPUs today can perform well at so it shouldn't be hard for a console coming out in 2013 or so to pull off.

PC LOAD LETTER fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Jul 23, 2011

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
I was pretty optimistic about BD earlier on in the thread but I gave up waiting and give no fucks now. Microcenter had a hell of a deal on a i7 2600K + Z68 mobo bundle for less than $400 so I went that route instead.

Yea the B3D guys think it was BS. They didn't give the prices but consensus in the thread was that XDR2 RAM was still too expensive.
\/\/\/\/\//\/

PC LOAD LETTER fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Sep 8, 2011

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
No and no clue when if ever. What leaked future release charts we have for AMD chipsets don't mention it for anything a year or 2 in the future FWIW.

Seems like AMD has really fumbled BD as badly as I feared given that quote from the French site. drat shame. Not their fault TSMC is having problems too though. Seems like no one besides Intel has got their poo poo together for sub 45nm processes.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
I think AMD/Intel have got a patent agreement that covers most of that stuff. The details of it are publicaly unknown AFAIK though.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Bloody Antlers posted:

If BD stinks at launch, we could see another Phenom -> Phenom II type transition where engineers save the day by fine tuning the design and dramatically increasing performance.

Yea been wondering the same thing. AMD has been very quiet on BD but they're already starting to pimp Vishera aka Piledriver. Smacks of the whole Phenom launch all over again, but then that has probably been obvious for at least a month or 2.

Longinus00 posted:

Bulldozer looks like it's betting not on clockspeed but concurrency and eventually offloading more and more work onto the GPU.
But BD doesn't off load anything on the GPU. AMD are doing the whole APU thing but that still requires developer support. There is no off loading on to the GPU in hardware.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Agreed posted:

Again, I am still waiting for official stuff, but silence from AMD is absolutely deafening at this point given the nature of the information coming out. Fuuuuuuck.

Yea, them being silent plus all the delays is what finally made me give up on BD. In theory the chip sounds like it should be pretty good while having a smaller die size but it looks like AMD hosed up their implementation. Usually when any of these tech companies have something good they "leak" info. like a sieve. When they gently caress up they get as quiet as a mouse and then start pimping the next product.

AMD is being very quiet on BD but is happily hyping up Piledriver (improved BD) for next year.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
BD isn't a APU. It has no integrated GPU so no stream processors. That isn't coming until mid next year or so. Also updated BD is supposed to be around 10% faster according to the rumor mill. If that is true then there is no point waiting around for Piledriver either.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
I think that had more to do with Bobcat. Still plenty that is lol worthy in the old pre launch BD slides given what we know now though.

PC LOAD LETTER fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Oct 17, 2011

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
Given what he said about BD largely panned out I don't think you can hand wave away what those ex engineers said as "disgruntled employees bitching" or exaggeration or something.

As for the scheduler being the problem...I don't think anyone outside of AMD knows exactly what is wrong with BD. Most likely its a combo of several design problems and process issues.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Agreed posted:

Intel -needs- AMD. If Intel becomes an effective monopoly, nobody wins. I can only imagine the fallout from Intel getting busted up like Ma Bell, jesus.

Why would you think the current administration or the next for that matter would bust them up? The last few administrations have been incredibly pro big business/mega corp and have allowed massive consolidation in many areas. They didn't even bust up the banks after they helped to trash the economy, hell they made them bigger as part of a "solution". They sure haven't broken up MS either.

I'd really be surprised if they did anything if AMD essentially torpedoes itself with a bad product or something.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

trandorian posted:

How would you even break up Intel? Not let the desktop and laptop cpu teams talk to each other?

I'm guessing they'd break the GPU and chipset side of the business off into separate companies if they really wanted to. Not sure if even that would really make sense in the long run though given the trend to integrate everything onto a single die for power savings, to reduce the size, and cost reductions.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Arsten posted:

After reading through benchmarks and this thread, my question is "What benefits or spiffy technology are actually in Bulldozer?"
Unfortunately nothing. It has lots of great concepts that haven't seemed to have panned out. That is why so many are pissed. If it was way cheaper and/or used less power maybe it'd have some value but as is BD is a terrible buy. On top of this AMD is already expecting only 10-15% more performance per respin over the next few years.

edit: actually misread that chart. It only shows performance per watt, its possible then that AMD may not be able to improve total performance much at all then but knows they can lower the power draw, which is nice but still leaves them screwed with BD.

That probably means they won't be able to catch up to or beat Nehalem, which by then will be almost a 5 yr old core and likely phased out, until 2013. Excavator will probably bring them up to SB levels of performance by 2014, if they meet their performance goals of course, but by then Intel will have moved on to a better core as well.

Then you have to consider the process lead Intel has as well...and yea things are looking grim for AMD. More so then ever before. Unless they can pull of some miracles in a redesign with a new chip its looking doubtful if AMD can ever catch up to Intel again.

edit2: AFAIK even with all those new instructions it still loses to SB and Nehalem much less SB, at least on recompiled linux benches that were posted on RWT. There is something wrong with BD's FPU too. On paper it should be great, I used to be pretty gung ho about BD reading that stuff, but again the implementation is screwed up. That isn't to say BD doesn't get a nice speed up with recompiled apps, making it faster than PhenomII is an improvement, it just still isn't good enough. \/\/\/\/\/

edit3: of course nearly no one will recompile their apps for BD either, so its pointless talking about that seriously anyways.\/\/\/\/

PC LOAD LETTER fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Oct 24, 2011

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
But then why did they blow all that die space for all that cache if it had little impact on performance and consumed so much more power? Doesn't seem to add up.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Zhentar posted:

Because it is useful for server workloads, and they only designed a single Bulldozer die. I would guess that the decision was made to conserve engineering resources.
I thought L3 cache was most always easy to add or remove since its modular and doesn't touch anything hinky like the L1 does though. Its fairly fault tolerant too right?

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Zhentar posted:

Removing the L3 cache may not be a big deal, but take a look at the die layout.
Plus, the L3 cache is still only about 20% of the die area.
I'm sure its not a cut n' paste operation to remove or add L3 cache but I somehow doubt it would've been that much of a problem to do in time for launch. AMD likely knew well and good how BD would perform early this year at the very least. AFAIK cache uses a fair amount of power too. The die savings would've been nice, especially considering how drat big BD is when its supposed to be small due to the whole module approach, but cutting the cache would have big power savings too right?

HalloKitty posted:

Those benchmarks are interesting, because they show it being competitive a fair few times. It seems like if your application is threaded enough, and can abuse some of the new features, Bulldozer is pretty reasonable (although as you said, hot/power hungry).
Mmm, still gets beat pretty handily by a unoverclocked i5-2500k many times too though. Given the power consumption I'd be kind've surprised if the "designed for servers" BD takes off in the server market at all.

PC LOAD LETTER fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Oct 25, 2011

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Zhentar posted:

Early this year would have been way too late for that big of a change.
I dunno. They sure released a fixed Phenom II quickly IIRC. Different problem but still, they can certainly fix some stuff relatively quickly. I just have a real hard time believing it takes nearly 2 years to move around stuff like the L3 or HT links or whatever. That is almost half as long as it takes to design a whole new CPU core itself.

Zhentar posted:

That's at 65nm, so the 32nm BD cache should be capable of even less.
Wow BD is even more hosed then I thought then. If they can't get the power usage significantly down by lopping off stuff like cache than they probably have no hope of even approaching the power efficiency of Intel's chips until they do a totally new arch.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
The big thing there IMO is the support for much faster DDR3. Llano's GPU turned out to be more bandwidth limited than I thought so DDR3 2133 will probably make a real big difference.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Factory Factory posted:

Is AMD's process different, or are overclocked Bulldozer chips going to burn out faster than a fart in a frat house?

Hard to find good public information but turned this up.

Paul DeMone posted:

AMD slide presentation

Slide 17, does not appear to show a happy looking process.

GF seems to be making alot of 32 nm "James Dean" parts right now.
Live fast, die young, and leave a good looking paperweight.

Not exactly confidence inspiring.

PC LOAD LETTER fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Nov 22, 2011

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Install Gentoo posted:

When you get a 2 GB video card and 8 gb of system ram in a fairly cheap laptop, it'd be rather nice if the consoles we'll be using for the next 8 years have that much to work in.
High clocked GDDR5 and XDR2 are pretty pricey unfortunately. I wish it was as cheap as GDDR/DDR3. 8GB of V/system RAM on nexgen consoles would probably go a long way towards inoculating future PC games against consolitis.

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

might as well wait to see how the 7950 turns out.
7950 is supposed to be about on par with the GTX580 for ~$450-500 according to the rumor mill.

If you already have a GTX580 or 6970 it might not be worth upgrading, especially if rumors of a major refresh mid year pan out. If you're still "clunking" a long on a 4xxx or 5xxx card or if you really want to push multi high resolution monitors then its worth to upgrade IMO. For the latter application CF'd 7970's is probably sensible if expensive.

So long as you keep your resolution around 1920x1080 1GB VRAM is still fine. Its not really a big problem until you higher resolutions.\/\\/\/

PC LOAD LETTER fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Dec 22, 2011

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
This stuff hasn't been confirmed but lately details about AMD's new cards have been leaking all over and they don't seem totally unreasonable either. They're from the B3D thread.

You may need to spend closer to $300-350 if that chart is correct to get around 2/3 performance of the 7970.

PC LOAD LETTER fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Dec 27, 2011

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Alereon posted:

that's a pretty good sign the earlier rumors of POWER7 + AMD were wrong.
I thought its been known for a while that the POWER7 rumors were wrong? POWER7 is fast but consumes too much power and puts out waay to much heat for a console, something ridiculous like 200w+ on a pretty modern process IIRC the B3D/RWT threads.

Seems like its pretty much a given that whatever IBM/AMD/whoever do provide it'll have to be something fairly customized again to provide the performance at a reasonable cost and heat output/power consumption.

Alereon posted:

looks like we won't see a replacement of the FX-series Zambezi processors until the Steamroller launch in 2013, and they'll be up against Intel's Haswell processors
Wowow they've screwed the pooch so hard this time around. Jaguar looks like it'll be great for netbooks at least, but they're pretty much giving up on competing with Intel for mid/high end laptops/desktops for quite a while.

PC LOAD LETTER fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Sep 2, 2012

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Paul MaudDib posted:

The Bulldozer/Steamroller/etc architecture was just a bad idea and it looks like even AMD is giving up on fixing it. I'm reading this as capitulation and trying to figure out where to go from here. At least they're aware how hosed they are.
AMD always planned on having some sort of new arch. out by 2015/2016 since Excavator was supposed to be the last BD revision. They probably knew they were hosed all the way back in mid to late 2011 since by then they'd have been able to do plenty of testing on samples from the fabs to see what yields they could get and how well power and performance scaled with clocks. It just takes a long time to design a new architecture and K10h was probably out of scaling room so they had to go with what they had and try to make the best of it.

The combo of patent issues, long development times, highly competent competition, and high production costs in making a high end x86 chip are brutally risky from a business perspective which is why no one but AMD tries (tried?) anymore to compete in that arena against Intel.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
Yeah the anti competitive practices by Intel certainly didn't help at all but AFAIK that was more of a way to hamstring AMD during the K7/A64 days. By the time AMD was pushing PhenomII's vs Core2 I don't think Intel was evening bothering to try that stuff anymore.

e: Even during the 'good days' when their chips sold well and for good ASP's AMD was always fab constrained so I kinda hate to say it but going forward due to the increasing costs of shrinking the processes down they would've been 'doomed' to go fabless eventually.

PC LOAD LETTER fucked around with this message at 08:10 on May 8, 2014

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
They can't really do much to improve single threaded performance without a major revision (which is what Excavator is supposed to be) which takes a long time (years) to do.

They keep throwing more die space at the iGPU for their APU's because for some reason they seem totally unable to increase the bandwidth to the iGPU and can't do much to improve CPU performance beyond what they're already doing so more iGPU is about the only way left for them to differentiate their product vs Intel's offerings and their own older APU's.

The funny thing is if they could just feed it enough data the iGPU would actually be getting some fairly respectable performance and it would add a lot of value to their products even if they continued to do little to improve single thread performance on the CPU side. Many of their cheaper APU's in the thin n' light category are incredibly hamstrung by single channel DDR3 1333 levels of bandwidth though.

Quad channel DDR3 probably isn't practical for them to do for cost reasons, same goes for on package DDR3, but maybe they could've hung some extra DDR3 or GDDR5 off of the chipset to feed their iGPU's better. They did do something like that for a while back when they were still putting the iGPU in the north bridge in the 780G or some such.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Well, DDR4 is starting to ship.
Initially on a per channel basis it probably won't be any if much faster than current DDR3 and they'll probably be stuck with only 2 channels of it still due to chip package (still using FM2+ so not enough pins) and cost restrictions. If they could do 4 channels of DDR4 it'd be a different story of course. They are supposed to be doing some sort of BGA package APU in 2015 so maybe they could pull it off then since its relatively cheap to add lots more pins to a BGA than a PGA package. Who knows they might still end up pad limited on the die itself which would nix that idea.

On package or soldered to mobo HMC/eDRAM would definitely solve their bandwidth problems for their APU's but would probably still be too expensive. You'd still have to deal with the pin/pad limit issue too.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Alereon posted:

The best solution for AMD APUs was to use mGDDR5, which placed ultra-fast GDDR5 memory on removable DIMMs.... Unfortunately mGDDR5 did not attract sufficient manufacturer interest and never entered the market.
I wonder if they were planning on something like that. AMD did start releasing their own re-branded RAM not too long ago which struck me as fairly pointless for them. Maybe they had some ideas that they just weren't able to get realized because of market inertia and/or financial reasons?

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
Yea I remember that. Looks they were trying to do something but for some reason just weren't able to pull it off.

Alereon posted:

It's not actually AMD RAM,
I know hence the 're-branded' comment. Didn't know it was just re-branded Patriot RAM but I wasn't paying too much attention to what they were doing with it. It was just like 'WOOOO WE GOT OUR OWN RAM NOW' typical hype but no info. on where they were going with it in the future and the specs looked ordinary so I paid it no mind.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Alereon posted:

you still have to deal with Dataram for everything.
OK my bad, missed your point.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

keyvin posted:

Can Intel invest in AMD to keep them going if they are worried about trust issues?
The anti trust issue thing is a old holdover fear from the 80's/early 90's. As the mega mergers between banks, telecomm, and media companies have shown in the last 10-15 yr if the company is big enough it doesn't have anything to worry about anymore as far as anti trust regulation goes. The regulators are all too willing to look the other way or even help companies get around the rules or rewrite them if necessary.

Even when they do gently caress up colossally these mega corps are often shielded from much or even any sort of legal action and even if found guilty and fined often have their fines drastically reduced at a later date like BP did with the Deepwater Horizon oil spills or any of the banks and the robosigning scandals. Anti trust is a dead issue in this day and age and I don't know why it keeps being brought up as a serious issue anymore.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
I didn't know that.

Should've suspected that though.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
They're gonna put Carrizo in some slim and SFF desktops so they haven't totally abandoned the desktop market but yea no socketed version and performance still won't be on par with Haswell much less Skylake.

Not good at all.

They better hope they do reasonably well in the cheap laptop market.

Either way it'll be a looong way until Zen and their new x86 arch. comes out. Early-mid 2016 is the expected launch date I think for their new ARM arch. Haven't seen much info. about the new high end x86 arch. they're developing. They should both be platform compatible so if AMD isn't fudging things then you can plug either of them into the same motherboard so long as the sockets match up.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
G34 has all those pins for extra memory slots + allowing CPU's to communicate, its not needed for HBM or any other on package memory really.

Socket size isn't the limitation for HBM. Its price that could (probably will) kill the idea for low cost APU's which is the way AMD has to price them in order to sell them.

Slapping HBM on their APU's might allow them to get mid-tier-ish GPU performance but also means they'll have to price them lots higher just to break even. WAG on my part here but $2-300 would probably be the price range of a 'high end' APU with a 1-2GB HBM cache on package via interposer. Even tied to Excavator CPU's the performance vs price wouldn't be bad but most enthusiasts, and those are the ones who'd be interested, probably wouldn't bother with it for that price. A low end Intel chip and a mid range dGPU would probably be better value over all even if it ends up costing a bit more.

It sucks but I think they're stuck being bandwidth limited with their APU's for a long time.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
Supposedly its not so much the memory costs that get you with HBM. Its the cost of the interposer, which is effectively a huge die IC fabbed on a 'coarser' process, plus the cost of assembly and testing. The interposer has to be gigantic since it sits under the die, Fiji has a rumored 550mm2 die while Carrizo has a ~250mm2 die size, and must be still big enough to allow the HBM memory packages to be mounted to it too. Smaller multi die interposers to bring down costs are something that is being worked on but I don't think its working outside of a lab yet.

IIRC HBM2 is about giving you more bandwidth and/or RAM capacity and not necessarily bringing down costs. Depending on how they configure the GPU (ie. going all out for more bandwidth or RAM capacity) you might see costs go up or stay the same.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
The HBM packages themselves are tiny. About the size of a small pill, so size isn't an issue for putting them on a FM3 package.

Stolen from this thread which BTW has tons of great info. and discussion on the subject about HBM and Fiji in general.

It was other types of RAM that would've had possible packaging issues with FM3 due to size. I suppose they could've just left the pin out the same size and extended the package out to one side and plopped the RAM there if they really wanted to use something off the shelf and not do a custom RAM package. There is no indication that they ever wanted to go that route though.

Zen we have hardly any information, branding or otherwise, at all on so only the most wild of WAG's are possible about it at this point. I would think if they can get near-Skylake performance at similar TDP they'll be thrilled. Skylake-ish performance with a significantly higher (10-25w) TDP is probably more realistic given the process and R&D disparity. I hope they can pull that off. If they do and they sell it for a bit less, like historically they did normally, it could be a successful chip.

PC LOAD LETTER fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Feb 14, 2015

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
Yea it'd probably fit. Even at 500mm2 the die would be still quite smaller than the package. Would they actually do that? I dunno. Kinda doubt it. That'd be an expensive die that they couldn't sell for a low price.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
That will probably change over time though. The Chinese market is too potentially big for them not to tune their game line up and adjust pricing to accommodate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Nintendo Kid posted:

No not really. They haven't bothered to really do it for places like Brazil and India, why do it for China?
I dunno and when you put it like that yea they might not. Seems strange to let a market go like that to me I guess.

• Locked thread