Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gemuse
Oct 13, 2005

Factory Factory posted:

All this time I've taken IPC to refer to Instructions Per Clock (which Intel is also kicking AMD's butt with). The More You Know.

When concerning CPU performance, it does mean Instructions Per Clock. While a fast CPU (and especially fast/efficient core/socket interconnects) may speed up Inter-Process Communication, it is mainly a software implementation issue and a not a metric for CPU speed. Unless there are benchmarks showing a marked performance advantage for Intel vs. AMD in Inter-Process Communication, which is independent of other characteristics of the CPUs (such as memory, cache or integer performance), I think Agreed is confused.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gemuse
Oct 13, 2005
I was a bit hasty, some parts of the microarchitecture can have a large impact on some IPC performance, such as the speed of execution of instructions that support locking primitives such as CMPXCHG, which has IIRC indeed seen some performance gains in later Intel CPUs. Benchmarking CMPXCHG and similar can give you some indication of the CPU's IPC performance, but since there a some types of IPC of which does not necessarily depend on hardware support, it will only be limited to measuring just a subset of possible IPC mechanisms. And in any case, it will tell you nothing of the general performance characteristics of the CPU. A CPU that has fantastic lock performance can sucks at everything else and vice versa.

IPC meaning Inter-Process Communication here of course :)

A fast CPU will probably be pretty fast at IPC as well, but as said, it's not a metric like Instructions Per Clock (which has it's own problems).

gemuse
Oct 13, 2005

Colonel Sanders posted:

I mainly use my PC for light gaming and video encoding.

Actually, for your use case the FX series might be a good buy. The FX-8350 manages to beat even the i7 at some video encoding benchmarks (x264), see here and here.

gemuse
Oct 13, 2005

Paul MaudDib posted:

Nvidia is ahead on the 64-bit ARM architecture

In what way? Tegra K1 is still based on A15 and Project Denver is nothing but vague press releases at the moment.

• Locked thread