Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ZobarStyl
Oct 24, 2005

This isn't a war, it's a moider.

Paul MaudDib posted:

Compared to an Intel 4C processor? Sure, that's the jam of highly-parallel processors.

Compared to a 5820K that trashes it in actual performance? nah
Could you point out on the doll where AMD bad touched you? I get that you've always had a hate on for them but Ryzen seems to have driven you into a frenzy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZobarStyl
Oct 24, 2005

Paul MaudDib posted:

well for me the k6-2 400, the thunderbird 700, the athlon XP 1800+, the athlon 64 3200+, the athlon 64 X2 3800+, and the phenom II x4 were all good touch, but the bulldozer was bad-touch, officer

I mean, 5 years of bad-touch is really all it takes, though
The point of my comment was to get you to realize this forum isn't your personal psychiatrist's couch. Instead you plopped down and started into how you never really got on with your father.

ZobarStyl
Oct 24, 2005

Alereon posted:

It seems like he's basically observing that graphics drivers got better at multi-threading to alleviate CPU bottlenecks over a few years.
The other major point is that due to their aversion to ever letting the GPU bottleneck, reviewers run unrealistic tests at really low resolutions and ask which system can pump 500 fps vs. 300 as a proxy for actual performance. This makes some sense in that the graphs at higher resolutions are just flat lines that say 'yup, this CPU can feed a bottlenecked GPU too' and that's boring and uninformative to people who want to know which CPU is faster. However, what most people really want to know is 'can this CPU feed my bottlenecked GPU for the foreseeable future' so we often miss the forest for the trees in benchmarking. The silver lining upthread is response time graphs that tell a lot more about the way the system actually processes data in those heavy GPU scenarios.

None of this is new information, but some people get really hung up on the percentages, as if a game is 10-15% less fun on a Ryzen than a 7700k.

ZobarStyl
Oct 24, 2005

Alereon posted:

Okay yeah bad benchmarks exist but if anything FX-series CPUs were worse for gaming than those benchmarks indicated, so he is making a kind of stupid point.
Yeah, that point was severely overstated in the video, no argument there.

ZobarStyl
Oct 24, 2005

eames posted:

AMD CPU and Platfrom Discussion: I'm trying to force myself to use the Ryzen

I'm still on the fence for my next system. unRAID for example has an issue where it'll regularly crash on Ryzen unless the "global C-States" option is disabled, so the CPU never clocks down and idles at 80W. :bravo:
If anything it should make Skylake-X/Kabylake-X a bit more affordable.
:stare:
I really want to move my unraid box from its 8370E to a Ryzen, but drat they need to make it not huff juice at idle. If I could get lower idle draw and GPU passthrough it'd be an easy choice.

• Locked thread