Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

ExiledTinkerer posted:

Don't know that there's ever been such a "fast" repeat guest as Galloway, of all head shaking people---the pool for guests must be getting perilously shallow compared to the old days.

I think there's been some who were on within a month or two e.g. Andrew Sullivan. But they have fewer guests now.

I was just happy he didn't mention TikTok at all. His usual line is "Don't let your kids on TikTok. It'll turn their brains into mush!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Gotta ask the question, was the show ever good?

He definitely gets worse and more brain-wormed and lazy every year which has infected everything, but the intro jokes and New Rules had a set of writers who I thought might occasionally do a Good One.

My slightly more centre-left self used to really enjoy the show somewhere around 8-15 years ago. I feel like it was good at attacking Bush and the war on terror, but I do wonder if it was a bit "mr president, have you considered that you're a dumb hillbilly" vs any serious historical or ideological understanding of any injustice.

And the guest pool obviously got worse, he used to occasionally have people on with an interesting and non-reactionary point of view. I realise Reza Aslan has a pretty basic political understanding but he was a breath of loving fresh air in the late 2000s and it feels like Bill would NEVER have him on now.

I even remembered watching and enjoying Religilous as a teen, but even then I was like "bit of a weird focus on the Muslims, huh?"

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

I think many viewers enjoyed it more in the 2000s and early 2010s. So definitely good for entertainment. Ultimately, it's the lifecycle of every person and TV show. And he's a comedian rather than a history professor.

His fixation on Islam was always natural but totally unavoidable after 9/11.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.
There were topics at the time where Bill had guests that could be interesting to hear from time to time. There haven’t been topics his guests would be qualified to talk about in the shower let alone on television in a very long time.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Yeah, 15, or even 10 years ago, Bill’s politics were more progressive and his show had a lot more interesting people. His Islamophobia drove a lot of people away after Obama was elected and by the time Covid happened he had basically fully transformed into Dennis Miller.

Like, look at the panels and guests c2006: he had big gets like Clooney, Ian McKellen, Madeline Albright, loving Joe Biden, among dozens of others. Even Netanyahu came on.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Without any actual competition via Showtime before they slid into a CNN-addled madness or Anybody putting up an honest fight on the show's format and fundamental conceit, Maher steadily lost it without something to keep him moored in functional reality from the relatively Easy Mode that was the Bush years before all his then weird wedges had a chance to find themselves fully driven into him to terrible ends.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames
The thing I don’t get about Bill is he always says “I haven’t changed, the liberals have.”

But like…that’s the whole point of liberalism. It adapts to current situations. It’s in the drat name “progressive” because it…progresses.

If Bill hasn’t changed, he’s being conservative.

This is stupid.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

fart blood posted:

The thing I don’t get about Bill is he always says “I haven’t changed...”

Yeah, without even getting into semantical stuff on liberalism/progressivism et al. He's deluded on that one. Everyone changes. He's tricked himself into thinking that his ideology has been magically and hermetically sealed or something. Bill Maher isn't a carbon copy of himself from forty years ago.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

The lack of guest diversity really drove the quality from "sliding downhill" to "loving freefall".

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

fart blood posted:

But like…that’s the whole point of liberalism. It adapts to current situations. It’s in the drat name “progressive” because it…progresses.

I forgot to mention. There are a lot of conservative pundits/authors/thinkers who have a predilection about always harping on the dictionary definition of a word. And how x word used to mean x thing and now it means something else. And look down on anyone who accepts ANY change in spelling, meaning or ideology. They act like this is a completely new thing when it's really the natural way that all languages/meanings have evolved within cultures since time immemorial. They seem oblivious that English four hundred years back was extremely different.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.

Zogo posted:

I forgot to mention. There are a lot of conservative pundits/authors/thinkers who have a predilection about always harping on the dictionary definition of a word. And how x word used to mean x thing and now it means something else. And look down on anyone who accepts ANY change in spelling, meaning or ideology. They act like this is a completely new thing when it's really the natural way that all languages/meanings have evolved within cultures since time immemorial. They seem oblivious that English four hundred years back was extremely different.

This is me when people say “cosplay outfit”. gently caress, it’s a costume. Just say costume!

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Ted Cruz is making his Real Time debut tomorrow. And the return of Jordan Peterson. :wow:

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Oh, for gently caress’s sake.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Nothing is funnier than when bill starts with “I don’t agree with you on most things” before spending the rest of the interview agreeing with him. What a wanker.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Zogo posted:

Ted Cruz is making his Real Time debut tomorrow. And the return of Jordan Peterson. :wow:

oh god, one of the worst line ups yet. :suicide: The third person involved is Pamela Paul, who works for the NYT, which..isn't great. but whatever tiny iota of hope i had got vaporized once i learned she's married to bret stephens :barf:

at least the last time jorp was on the show he had Alex Wagner to push back against him (hell, even maher himself did a tiny bit when he tried to defend trump)

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Ted Cruz loves going to a place where he can be the second most loathsome person on the set.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Cruz was brought on and warmed over with some chuckles, then Maher went in on January 6 and election deniers, including pushing back when Cruz tried to both-sides the issue. Kinda enjoyed that segment.

Edit: Maher references Hillary Clinton's "goddamn purple suit" when Cruz and Peterson are also wearing purple suits?

Space Fish fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Nov 11, 2023

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames
Bill’s new rule this week was the crankiest he’s been in years.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Space Fish posted:

Cruz was brought on and warmed over with some chuckles, then Maher went in on January 6 and election deniers, including pushing back when Cruz tried to both-sides the issue. Kinda enjoyed that segment.

Edit: Maher references Hillary Clinton's "goddamn purple suit" when Cruz and Peterson are also wearing purple suits?

grading on an EXTREMELY generous curve, this episode, given the fact that it had one of the most loathsome guest lists in the show's history, was shockingly not as terrible as you'd expect. a lot of that was just by mere coincidence it looks like. as you mentioned, maher and cruz's bromance was cut short thanks to the segue to the jan 6 discussion, and maher and jorp's bonding session about campus leftists was ruined by the fact that maher realized jorp's basically frollo from the hunchback of notre dame when discussing abortion and the sexual revolution

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Mr Interweb posted:

grading on an EXTREMELY generous curve, this episode, given the fact that it had one of the most loathsome guest lists in the show's history, was shockingly not as terrible as you'd expect. a lot of that was just by mere coincidence it looks like. as you mentioned, maher and cruz's bromance was cut short thanks to the segue to the jan 6 discussion, and maher and jorp's bonding session about campus leftists was ruined by the fact that maher realized jorp's basically frollo from the hunchback of notre dame when discussing abortion and the sexual revolution

It's the worst lineup I've seen him have though I'm sure someone who watches it more frequently has a worse murderers' row.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Anyone see it this week? Donna brazile was a panelist so I assume it wasn't as awful as it normally is

Groovelord Neato posted:

It's the worst lineup I've seen him have though I'm sure someone who watches it more frequently has a worse murderers' row.

I've been watching the show for about 15 years and honestly I can't think of any that we're this bad. And even if the panel was bad you'd have maher and at least one other person trying to keep the others in line. As opposed to now where maher just joins in. On the plus side, the NYT lady wasn't as terrible as I expected.

Mr Interweb fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Nov 20, 2023

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Going to be weird seeing episodes in Dec after the break this week, strike or no.

Donna was typical in terms of the laying it on thick while being a party hack on the whole---much kumbaya was had as they all gleefully equated the fash to the "far left".

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames
Maher going all in and doubling down on “Biden is too old and he’s going to lose” is certainly a choice.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

fart blood posted:

Maher going all in and doubling down on “Biden is too old and he’s going to lose” is certainly a choice.

It's funny how every election cycle the media/TV personalities fall right back into citing the polls as if they're incontrovertible.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames
Bill Maher saying “from the river to the sea” is “a little genocide-y” but the systemic bombing of Gaza to murder entire cities and families isn’t genocide and liberals need to read a book about what genocide actually is, is so confusing to me.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

fart blood posted:

Bill Maher saying “from the river to the sea” is “a little genocide-y” but the systemic bombing of Gaza to murder entire cities and families isn’t genocide and liberals need to read a book about what genocide actually is, is so confusing to me.

There were a lot of logic errors and assumptions in the discussion last night. It's always the same stuff ad infinitum that leads to wider conflicts. GWBs "We're fighting them there, so we don't have to fight them here" covers a lot of it. It also boils down to people thinking that they know the future. "Bush/Putin is the new Hitler!" If both sides think that way then the conflict will continue to grow until one side is decimated.

Once one realizes that a ton of people only care about the lives of one segment in a conflict then it makes more sense. Growing numbers of enemy casualties is a good thing or a forgotten thing. The side with more power has the right to annihilate the weaker group etc.

Dead people have zero political power as they can't vote and don't have opinions on anything. Millions of people are dead from COVID. If they had a do-over resurrection many would have a change of heart and probably not be screaming at an RNC debate about the "COVID vaxecution shot" or freedom or whatever.

Zogo fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Dec 9, 2023

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

https://twitter.com/mbaram/status/1741154952586670474

i know maher sucks but goddamn does he suck

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Man, Seth MacFarlane handled this pretty gracefully. I have a lot of criticisms for this guy, but he stayed cool and only pushed when he should have to avoid it becoming too aggressive, and letting Bill hang himself.

But yeah, Bill SUCKS.
https://twitter.com/LaurenJauregui/status/1741239861443506669

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Yeah I remember all those refrigerated semi trucks full of corpses killed by the vaccines..

Christ what a loving dipshit.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

His whole stance is bizarre. He's said many, many times now that he "took one for the team." This is in a world where tens of billions of COVID shots have been given out. He talks about it like he jumped on a grenade on a battlefield and got a Purple Heart Medal.

He frequently talks about liberals/conservatives living in bubbles. He should go to a hospital and see hundreds of people getting COVID shots and move on.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
The worst thing that happened to Bill Maher was not having an audience clap at him like trained seals every Friday.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
he just doesn't like being told what to do, regardless of what it is. it's like an anti seatbelt law libertarian, there's nothing complicated going on up there.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
I'm just wandering into this thread, but on the topic if this show was any good? Never a longtime viewer, never liked Bill to start with, but he's always said lovely things. Back when female teachers loving their students was making the news a couple decades ago he was all, "Oh this is just a love story, the government needs to keep it's business out of the affairs of these two," and needless to say that poo poo has NOT aged well. Even when the male victim in question was loving twelve years old. It's not just a question of perspective or a state of the times, it's just a lovely thing to say and think period.

And he once mocked pro wrestling as being fake. Yeah there's a lot of staged choreography and stunts but if you tell one of them that it's fake, they ain't gonna take it lightly. Including when Randy Roddy Piper put him in his place.

https://twitter.com/allan_cheapshot/status/1515656244266156034

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

Shitenshi posted:

I'm just wandering into this thread, but on the topic if this show was any good? Never a longtime viewer, never liked Bill to start with, but he's always said lovely things. Back when female teachers loving their students was making the news a couple decades ago he was all, "Oh this is just a love story, the government needs to keep it's business out of the affairs of these two," and needless to say that poo poo has NOT aged well. Even when the male victim in question was loving twelve years old. It's not just a question of perspective or a state of the times, it's just a lovely thing to say and think period.

Bill Maher quite literally says as a joke in The Decider that when a woman teacher bangs her boy student, it’s a crime they didn’t capture it on video.

Seriously. That’s the joke.

He also joked that he’d rather famous people jerk him off than get beaten up by bullies. But I’m really oversimplifying that one and misrepresenting the full context (which for the record isn’t going to make it any better.)

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013

fart blood posted:

Bill Maher quite literally says as a joke in The Decider that when a woman teacher bangs her boy student, it’s a crime they didn’t capture it on video.

Seriously. That’s the joke.

It might be that I've just had psychic corruption from living in what must be the darkest timeline, but I seriously had to read that over and over again for the course of several days for me to realize what a fuckwit thing that is to say. Holy poo poo.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

Shitenshi posted:

It might be that I've just had psychic corruption from living in what must be the darkest timeline, but I seriously had to read that over and over again for the course of several days for me to realize what a fuckwit thing that is to say. Holy poo poo.

I can’t find the clip on YouTube — gee I wonder why — but the special is called The Decider and it’s on Max so you can find it there. If you really wanna.

I might be butchering the joke but it was something like “there’s a reason there’s double standards: because there’s two things. When a male teacher bangs his female student, that is a crime. When a female teacher bangs her male student, that is a crime we didn’t capture it on video.”

He then said some joke — and I forget the context but it something to sort of related to teachers raping students but I don’t remember what — about how when he was in school he was bullied and beat up and if the abuse you get is “getting jerked off” he’d rather take that.

fart blood fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jan 6, 2024

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

fart blood posted:

I can’t find the clip on YouTube — gee I wonder why — but the special is called The Decider and it’s on Max so you can find it there. If you really wanna.

I might be butchering the joke but it was something like “there’s a reason there’s double standards: because there’s two things. When a male teacher bangs his female student, that is a crime. When a female teacher bangs her male student, that is a crime we didn’t capture it on video.”

He then said some joke — and I forget the context but it something to sort of related to teachers raping students but I don’t remember what — about how when he was in school he was bullied and beat up and if the abuse you get is “getting jerked off” he’d rather take that.

The transcript is online:

"Yes, when a 28-year-old male teacher fucks his 13-year-old female student, that is a crime, but when 28-year-old Debra Lafave fucks that kid, that's a crime we didn't get it on videotape. Wow. That's... That kid is not traumatized for life. I should have been so traumatized for life. So scarred!

Yeah, there's no such thing as zero tolerance and no double standards. You know what? Nuance isn't everything. I'm sorry, but that's the truth. Even with loving kids, there's nuance. For example, Michael Jackson. Now I'm not defending what he did if he did it, but you know what? Even Michael Jackson's worst accusers never said that he bent them over a table and... you know... Catholic poo poo. No. No. No, the--the worst they said that Michael Jackson ever did was a little grabby-grabby under the covers, which, don't get me wrong, I don't condone that either. That's a crime, but... a little nuance, okay?

Because you know what? When I was 12 years old, I was once brutally beaten up on the playground by two bullies. Just punched in the face. And if I could go back to 1968, and trade that experience with being gently masturbated by a pop star, I would do it in a New York minute."

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

Zogo posted:

The transcript is online:

"Yes, when a 28-year-old male teacher fucks his 13-year-old female student, that is a crime, but when 28-year-old Debra Lafave fucks that kid, that's a crime we didn't get it on videotape. Wow. That's... That kid is not traumatized for life. I should have been so traumatized for life. So scarred!

Yeah, there's no such thing as zero tolerance and no double standards. You know what? Nuance isn't everything. I'm sorry, but that's the truth. Even with loving kids, there's nuance. For example, Michael Jackson. Now I'm not defending what he did if he did it, but you know what? Even Michael Jackson's worst accusers never said that he bent them over a table and... you know... Catholic poo poo. No. No. No, the--the worst they said that Michael Jackson ever did was a little grabby-grabby under the covers, which, don't get me wrong, I don't condone that either. That's a crime, but... a little nuance, okay?

Because you know what? When I was 12 years old, I was once brutally beaten up on the playground by two bullies. Just punched in the face. And if I could go back to 1968, and trade that experience with being gently masturbated by a pop star, I would do it in a New York minute."

Every word it gets worse

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I’m surprised the show hasn’t been canceled, who the gently caress even watches it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

https://twitter.com/CarlBeijer/status/1750531746675015697