Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.
I don't watch this show anymore because of how absolutely trash this is. Youtube recommended this segment of the show https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAgUHyXr7_Y

... Holy gently caress they're morons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

This thread is pretty funny, every post on every page is just talking about how terrible the show is and reacting to all the stupid poo poo bill says. There is unanimous consent on this question, you have to click back several years to find anyone posting something other than "holy gently caress they're morons"

This has to be the worst poo poo on television

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Pryor on Fire posted:

This thread is pretty funny, every post on every page is just talking about how terrible the show is and reacting to all the stupid poo poo bill says. There is unanimous consent on this question, you have to click back several years to find anyone posting something other than "holy gently caress they're morons"

This has to be the worst poo poo on television

I don’t think anyone even really hatewatches anymore...if anyone is actually enjoying this trash fire I’ll be happy to step out and let them discuss, but even the clips I don’t manage to avoid have a sleazy, snake oil vibe that seems like Bill is just throwing chum to rubes he thinks he can fleece...

Edit: on second thought it is kind of funny that COVID-denier Maher had his brain Swiss-cheesed to mush by the disease and basically turned into Rick Perry
:laugh:

Toxic Fart Syndrome fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Sep 11, 2022

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

I still watch the show. Since ~2016 I disagree with more of it than I used to. And the pandemic only accelerated it.

But Maher is becoming more like that proverbial crazy uncle (talking with his group of friends) who is funny/unintentionally funny at times. At least he's still outside a lot of the stultified and bog-standard R and D discourse.

Part of new rules from Friday night: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0X8RB4i0HyQ&t=365s

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
The show has increasingly become a herald for when niche bad goes to broader worse alongside indicating broad shifts in what is going down like nothing else on television to this day thanks largely to the (un/less filtered) format---even despite the panel/interview pool of Maher cratering in recent years alongside his descent into madness and becoming That Guy in a barbershop amidst other ignominious titles.

He got what cred he spun up in the Bush admin early on, then proceeded to squander and contort it mightily ever since.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

The latest strange development is the number of TikTokphobic guests that've appeared over the last few months. "Get your kids off TikTok it's evil!"

And if anyone objects Bill lashes out with insults without explaining his issues with the app.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Zogo posted:

The latest strange development is the number of TikTokphobic guests that've appeared over the last few months. "Get your kids off TikTok it's evil!"

And if anyone objects Bill lashes out with insults without explaining his issues with the app.

It’s bad, you see, because the Chinese government is spying on you. This is very different from Facebook, Google, et al doing the exact same thing.
:nallears:

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

That's what I was thinking. Some mixture of Sinophobia and also US big tech with major FOMO. "We're supposed to be spying on your kids. Not China!"

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Zogo posted:

That's what I was thinking. Some mixture of Sinophobia and also US big tech with major FOMO. "We're supposed to be spying on your kids. Not China!"

If any of these people actually cared about foreign countries spying on us they'd be trying to get games like War Thunder and World of Tanks shut down.
:laffo::lol::laffo:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The biggest reason to stop watching Maher is that, very occasionally, he makes a good point, and you want to kill yourself

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

The show returns on Friday night. The guests: William Barr, Andrew Sullivan, Nancy Mace.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Zogo posted:

The show returns on Friday night. The guests: William Barr, Andrew Sullivan, Nancy Mace.

lmao

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
Must (Not) See TV

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Zogo posted:

It's not too late to book Roiland

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
Or Andrew Callaghan, to promote his latest documentary aired on HBO.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
You joke but I wouldn't put it past bill

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Biggest surprise was the new intro leaning even heavier into nods to the sinister fringes---weird that he got Green Day to accompany it, but IIRC they also went (somewhat) more off the deep end in recent years. Longest OT in perhaps years paired with some of the worst guests sure is A Something.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Things I noticed in the new intro:

-Elephants and donkeys vomiting money.
-University graduates being stuffed into boxes labeled "fragile."
-McDonald's hamburgers and fries and pills being forced into someone's head.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Zogo posted:

-University graduates being stuffed into boxes labeled "fragile."
-McDonald's hamburgers and fries and pills being forced into someone's head.
Wow HBO's new right wing hour long rant show sounds hilarious. Fox News better watch out, they have some real competition now!

What do you mean this show has been on for 20 years? That doesn't sound right...

https://twitter.com/billmaher/status/1618382063756877824
https://twitter.com/RealTimers/status/1616661399199166472

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

CNN Adds Bill Maher’s ‘Overtime’ to Friday Night Lineup
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/cnn-bill-maher-real-time-overtime-friday-schedule-1235312691/

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Bill's favorite guest is a real piece of work.

https://twitter.com/karengeier/status/1621165490449317888

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Sullivan’s entire point is that the black experience should have no voice and be eradicated from the histories. He is literally supporting genocide with this rhetoric.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
What even became of OT this week? Was no listing to actually avail on the DVR and nothing as of yet on the YT channel vs the usual. Some obscure CNN portal after the fact or...?

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Recounting of Bill Maher's Stan Lee rant:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pN9p69-ls3E&t=655s

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

ExiledTinkerer posted:

What even became of OT this week? Was no listing to actually avail on the DVR and nothing as of yet on the YT channel vs the usual. Some obscure CNN portal after the fact or...?

For the time being they're going to show it on CNN Friday night and then put it up on YouTube a day later.

CNN ratings are in the toilet AFAIK and they've talked about hiring comedians. So they may be experimenting with turning Maher into an analog of Greg Gutfeld on Fox News.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
I saw some rumblings about them trying for Stewart as well to bring the grand idiotic spiral fully back around from the days of Crossfire. Their new boss also pulled the plug on more Tucci'ish doings despite that being the only thing that even somewhat filled the Bourdain void and given they don't have the sense to leverage the shows on CNNi worth anything.

They already got Wallace from fox, guess they've got a rolodex to paw through since they've decided they are the more reputable* joke next to MSNBC.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yysKhJ1U-vM

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
0:00

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bO2Wbf5GR8E

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

The last episode was stranger than usual. Russell Brand manically screaming about drug company profits. Bill Maher shouting week after week that tens of millions of people "died with COVID not from COVID!"

If somebody got their COVID news solely through this show they'd have a very distorted view.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Zogo posted:

The last episode was stranger than usual. Russell Brand manically screaming about drug company profits. Bill Maher shouting week after week that tens of millions of people "died with COVID not from COVID!"

If somebody got their COVID news solely through this show they'd have a very distorted view.

Missing the endorphin drip of having a paid audience clap like seals at him for an hour per week really broke his brain.

The funniest part is that Covid clearly had adverse effects on him…or maybe he just thought Rick Perry was clever for wearing the glasses.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Love it that 1.1million deaths is a number that makes him feel "right about covid".

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I’m pretty sure he’s had lasik twice, it doesn’t last forever, and he’s been needing glasses for years. But he was too vain to wear them.

I really don’t think Covid had anything to to with it.

e: Also want to add that I knew who Brand was, and I’d seen him in a couple of movies. But I had no idea what he was up to these days.

What he’s been up to these days, you can see simply by going to his YouTube channel and looking at the video titles.

It’s been him pumping out conspiracy theory stuff, both-sidesing or outright praising people like Putin and Musk (while going hard at anyone on the other side, and typically refusing to criticize Trump or anyone like him) and having people like Tim Pool and Jordan Peterson on.

This is what he’s been doing nearly constantly, for a couple of years.

There is no reason at all they shouldn’t have had this guy as a speaker at CPAC. Indeed, he would have been a better speaker for their purposes than most of the same old lineup they trot out for all those things.

If he hasn’t also appeared on Fox News and Newsmax, I will be legitimately surprised.

His Real Time appearance consisted of him getting louder to talk rapid-fire over anyone else, and occasionally dodging being called out on anything by either joking or going silent.

I haven’t been a big fan of the show for a while, but this episode was one of the rare times when I can’t even stick it out for the humor. I had to turn it off about ten minutes into the panel segment.

MrMojok fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Mar 6, 2023

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

banned from Starbucks posted:

Love it that 1.1million deaths is a number that makes him feel "right about covid".

Yeah, there are a lot of bizarre conflations and non sequiturs with COVID skeptics right now. "I knew it was a lab leak and Pfizer made money and all those people were gonna die anyway. I was right!"

MrMojok posted:

I haven’t been a big fan of the show for a while, but this episode was one of the rare times when I can’t even stick it out for the humor. I had to turn it off about ten minutes into the panel segment.

It was one of the worst I can recall. Between the ridiculous COVID conversations, Bernie's worn out shtick, Brand acting like a lunatic and ending with Maher whinging at whatever college kids are doing this week.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Brand is essentially a high energy fun house mirror of Maher---whatever small, incidental core truths there might've been have been reduced to the merest of shards and granules while absolutely suffused and inundated with absolute shite and acrid corrosive nonsense.

They'd have at least done better to swap Bernie with the MSNBC guy so the former could have some slight chance to stumble back to prior lines of thought before losing the plot/fight nigh entirely to a one note clarion---but otherwise just to make the absolute state of things starker still for it.

Pandemic continues to break brains in the weirdest and most grasping ways.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
That Andrew Sullivan? Bill's best buddy?

https://twitter.com/RnaudBertrand/status/1637275525248086017?s=20
https://twitter.com/schwarz/status/1637232446599995393?s=20

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Oh boy 10 solid minutes of jerking off Elon Musk

edit: jesus more like 20min

banned from Starbucks fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Apr 29, 2023

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Holy poo poo the pivot from "we need free speech, including and especially when people disagree, like about the Holocaust" to "I don't tweet anymore because sometimes people don't like my jokes."

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Space Fish posted:

Holy poo poo the pivot from "we need free speech, including and especially when people disagree, like about the Holocaust" to "I don't tweet anymore because sometimes people don't like my jokes."

Freedom of speech has become another ideological fantasy for the right. A few months ago Maher had Piers Morgan on his podcast and they went through the whole spiel about freedom of speech and defending it especially when you don't like it or disagree with it :patriot:. Then a few minutes later Maher made a joke about the Queen and Piers got an upset look and shrieked "Don't you dare!" and launched into a serious lecture about respect and decorum etc.

The big question/fascination (psychologically and sociologically) is :wtf: is going on there. Lack of self-awareness/cognition problems et al.? Perhaps tons of people just want to bask and bathe in their ideologies and not be questioned.

Elon Musk bought Twitter but people are still getting banned. I've seen the same thing when a leftist goes on a rightist forum and drops a bunch of truth bombs. The leftist will be called a troll and many will scream for him/her to be banned so they can continue telling each other racial jokes with impunity.

I'm tangentially reminded of the rights burgeoning obsession with book banning lately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Christ he had Konstanin Kisin on the panel. Goes out of his way to have the dumbest online political folks on.