Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Rula: "You can't just write off an entire religion like that, Bill! That is why I am here to tell you how offended every Muslim is for your citing a poll."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Every time Maher tried to clarify his opinion on vaccines for the audience I wanted a panelist to shout, "So what's your point?" He says vaccines are good but that history is not a good enough indicator that they should be mandatory compared to a scientific study... huh? But they save millions of lives anyway, so what's your loving point, Bill?

Should the government quit filtering our tap water? Obama shouldn't make us drink clean water, grrr!

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

On the one hand: that bit Kennedy brought up about vaccine schedule committee owning the patents to the formulas, not recusing themselves, and raking in millions of dollars is sketchy as hell and deserves as much scrutiny as possible.

On the other hand, Bill seems disingenuous to keep asking, "Why are people so emotional about this issue?" Um, because diseases are making comebacks in anti-vaxxing communities and it's always a tragedy to know children are dying so that their parents may play devil's advocate with the medical community?

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Also, Bill, it wasn't a couple hours out of class, it was a 3-day suspension preceded by handcuffs and interrogation. Kind of sets a student back and shoots education in the foot.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Supply-Side Jesus was a great bit... when Al Franken wrote it.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

EugeneJ posted:

A lot of the SNL guys are down on taxes - I remember Jon Lovitz going on a rant about it fairly recently.

Broke comedians becoming millionaires overnight and not realizing you have to give a chunk of it to the government - who knew!

As Lovitz tells it, he makes a stack of money, pays his taxes, and is sick of getting tossed in with the non-tax-paying rich scumbags out there (then keeps going and claims the 1% are above board and never cheat on their taxes)

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Oliver only annoys me when the audience dies of laughter from his analogies (Oliver: "Eradicating communism is like getting the tiny sticker off each individual apple in your groceries - by the end of it, you've lost your fingernails and ruined a week's worth of produce, except in this case the occasional Granny Smith is the combined GDP of a dozen countries, and the fingernails are your nation's best and brightest in the military." Audience: "AHHHHHHHHhahahahaha! It's funny because I agree with him!" A dozen clickbait video-share sites: "Watch John Oliver ABSOLUTELY DEMOLISH Granny Smith!")

It's still better than Maher spitting out a pun or dated jab about right vs left then either sneering at the audience for supposedly not getting it (as opposed to just not thinking it's funny) or telling them to go gently caress themselves for being too sensitive (which is warranted when he criticizes the left, I loved his defense of "Obama's not your boyfriend").

Oh, and Bill Kristol is a flaming rear end in a top hat and has never convinced me otherwise over the course of years of news commentary appearances.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Apoplexy posted:

Kristol's evil politics contrast very strongly with his poo poo-eating grin constantly smeared on his loving weasel-oval office of a face.

He's perpetually hatching a scheme to get Ferris Bueller suspended.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

ApexAftermath posted:

LOL Bill mixed up the wording. The hat says "better ted than dead" and Bill repeats it as "better dead than ted".

Between that gaffe and wanting praise as a "gangsta" (from a male black panelist, of course) for telling his audience to gently caress off, his senility was showing more than usual.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

At that level of obnoxiousness, I can't even tell what's being heckled.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Maher: "I mean gosh, if only there was a platform for Muslims to speak truth to power and show solidarity as Americans against the tide of xenophobia and suspicion, but where are they, they need to take responsibility..."
Me: "SO HOST SOME MUSLIM SPOKESPEOPLE ON YOUR SHOW AND QUIT BITCHING TO CELEBRITIES AND PUNDITS WHO HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH THE ISSUE"

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Among the rhetorical strategies employed in 2016 was the narrative that white people (or just white men?) were no longer decisive in elections and could be safely ignored.
Also, that everyone should just make fun of Trump because the polls say he has no chance and the election's already been decided, lol check out this Daily Show clip of a Trumper MORON who doesn't know 2+2! Uneducated votes don't count, us enlightened lefties (of which I am one) will win by a landslide!
Also, that IT'S HER TURN and here's Michael Moore's new movie where he appeals to health care and Beyonce's Superbowl performance to emphasize that you should just vote for her, okay, just do it, stop thinking about it. Need more convincing? Here's Lena Dunham on the PR front lines with nothing of substance to add beyond declaring early victory.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

It's not national TV.
It's HBO.

Larry Willmore needs to guest on more talk shows, but his hosting lost me when everyone on his show gave a complete pass to "male teacher sleeping with female students is a dire crime, swap the genders and it's loving awesome."

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

coyo7e posted:

Larry Wilmore has a podcast now, and it's generally mostly excellent. It's called "Black on the Air" and most of his guests and interviews have been amazeballs https://theringer.com/larry-wilmore-black-on-the-air-podcast-d9c4bfa76be6

Oooh, I will check this out. Thanks for the recommendation!

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Holy crap I just googled "bill maher new york sex club" and :psyboom:

Wait til you hear about the Rory Gilmore sex boat!

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Solvent posted:

I don't get it.

At one point in the TV series Gilmore Girls, Rory runs away with her boyfriend. Upon returning, her friend tells her it was a huge scandal and to google "rory gilmore sex boat" to see for herself. Similarly, I would have to google "bill maher new york sex club" to get the dirt on him.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Bad-faith arguers aren't helping the free speech angle. "Am I supposed to take advice on vocabulary from someone who uses the N word in online discussion? Next!"

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Bill challenges Ben on being a conservative while Trump's in power, Ben defends with "I cheer when he does stuff I like and boo when he does stuff I hate" and Bill pushes all the negatives about Trump until Ben relents that, yes, he would support indictments if the evidence adds up and he admits that Trump is enacting a lot of bullshit. Ben makes Bill work through a bunch of tiresome arguments to get there, though.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Holy poo poo the pivot from "we need free speech, including and especially when people disagree, like about the Holocaust" to "I don't tweet anymore because sometimes people don't like my jokes."

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Rollos posted:

Tim Heidecker did a hilarious parody of the Club Random podcast with Fred Armisen that I just found out about : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ha6D1LQGD4

Good GOD that was an accurate tear-down, thank you.

May as well share this gem too: https://youtu.be/rOjT35bUXQQ?feature=shared

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

*limo passes burning effigy of Drew Barrymore*
"Uh, driver, turn us around"

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Bill took a moment to thank the writers and crew for getting everything operational on short notice.

I've never seen Desantis look that comfortable, and even then he was visibly bracing for a gotcha dunk. Surreal. And Matt Walsh next episode? Show is going from "let's respect right-wingers for being willing to visit" to straight ghoulishness. To wit: Walsh authored the anti-trans "Johnny the Walrus" children's book for insufferable adults and recorded a takedown of another children's book meant to teach children consent. (Although comedian/actor Matt Walsh would be a treat)

EDIT: Whoops, it's Matt Welch, silly reactive me :angel:

Space Fish fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Oct 7, 2023

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

fart blood posted:

DeSantis’ cowboy boots very very obviously being lifts is still so hilarious to me.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Cruz was brought on and warmed over with some chuckles, then Maher went in on January 6 and election deniers, including pushing back when Cruz tried to both-sides the issue. Kinda enjoyed that segment.

Edit: Maher references Hillary Clinton's "goddamn purple suit" when Cruz and Peterson are also wearing purple suits?

Space Fish fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Nov 11, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

As soon as the award segment started I paused and tried to guess who the worst recipient would be - Carano? Shapiro? Some UFC chap "telling it like it is?" Then the Garth Brooks award was pro-LGBT and I knew the pivot was coming, and Bill did not disappoint my dread.