Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
I'm glad somebody finally called out D'souza for being the rat gently caress that he is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Keyser S0ze posted:

Loved Bill's religious rant at the end this week it was so needed after 2 solid weeks of Pope-a-mania.

Unfortunately for him, I think each of the Catholic church New Rules that he said aren't in the Bible anywhere actually are. And they're not really obscure, either. I'm sure he's had a lot of people tweeting this at him.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

ExiledTinkerer posted:

At any point, she could've slipped her chair back a tad,

Whoah whoah whoah, that's a big risk to take.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Devour posted:

Maher, "Could they do the Book of Islam on Broadway?" As apposed to the Book of Mormon.
Levin, "Possibly so."

It could be done. There would just be significantly more believable death threats and fewer liberals willing to support your right to make jokes about a culture.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Devour posted:

Seriously when the gently caress are Climate change deniers going to receive the same treatment as Holocaust deniers?

When we go extinct from climate change.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
On Overtime, why was Chris Matthews so shocked that Bill said Obama's centrism could be related to his concerns about assassination? Matthews was seriously acting like some sort of cop in that moment.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

AShamefulDisplay posted:

not inherently problems with Islam.

The Quran puts men in power over women, just as any set of rules from seventh century Arabia would. Colonialism didn't invent patriarchy.

Anyway, Al Sharpton looks like he's starving to death and Bill Maher is coloring his hair again.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Stay Out of FYAD posted:

You think the Qur'an could've had a good reception on Broadway the same way the Book of Mormon did?

You think you can steal jokes from Real Time in the Real Time thread? :haw:

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
The new pope seems to have made a lot of people forget about that whole "raping thousands of children and covering it up" thing.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Debbie Wasserman Schultz has to be a vampire. She HAS to be.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Rapdawg posted:

I'm really thick so could you explain this joke to me?
She has sharp teeth and terrifying eyes.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Making jokes about violence against women on an HBO talk show is equivalent to carrying out violence against women on a globe-spanning scale, yes.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Islam was a progressive, forward-thinking, intellectual movement. A thousand years ago.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Hipster libertarian guy has silly sideburns. An astrophysicist laughs at masturbation. A Republican shill stutters and falters despite looking at his notes every two seconds. A good episode.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Ben, who appeared to be high on... caffeine... had no retort to the fact that an "old school" mentality is noticeably prevalent among Muslims when it comes to womens' rights, gays' rights, the freedom of religion, the freedom to not get murdered for drawing a cartoon, etc. He and the NYT guy tried to equate Maher's criticisms with racism against black people. I wish Bill had asked Michael Steele whether he chose to believe in blackness or if he was born black. Maher is a twat, but Muhammad's cult of personality is not a race, sorry.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Super Deuce posted:

They clearly weren't. Ben hosed up, and only heard what he wanted to hear.

You sound just like the KKK.

e: Wait a minute... Ben Affleck was in Dogma, a film that mocks Catholicism nonstop for two hours. If it had been about Islam instead, Affleck might not be alive today.

Animal-Mother fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Oct 7, 2014

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

You're a gross racist.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Origami Dali posted:

He's kidding to make a point about how bewildering Affleck's criticisms were.

Exactly, you shifty Jew.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Religion is never a root cause? People base their entire worldview on their religion. They claim it's a fundamental part of their identity.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

420DD Butts posted:

Religion is a by-product

It's much more thoroughly woven into culture than a mere by-product. Again, Affleck was fine with outright mockery of Catholicism in Dogma. He's the type of liberal Maher was talking about.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
"Bill, you're just like an antisemite."

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Shadow posted:

They're doing said violence in the name of whatever Drug Cartel Lord they serve though, no? The Middle East is still doing it in the name of Allah against Infidels... or what have you.

If I'm wrong, please correct me. I hate being wrong. :(

When people say the conflicts in the Middle East are about politics and economics, they're correct. When people say the conflicts in the Middle East are about religion, they're correct. Both sets of problems are real but there are some people who seem to want us to believe that religion could never be the motivation behind anything bad. Nobody would say such a thing about politics and economics.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
I like that they did overtime covered in fake snow.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

nine-gear crow posted:

God, did he ever pick a hell of a week to have Rushdie on. :ohdear:

Rushdie's been on quite a few times. Could be a coincidence, or maybe Bill wanted to get a hold of him due to recent events. It doesn't look like there's anyone on the panel who's going to make the insane argument that cartoonists should refrain from making jokes about Islam. I'm sure Andrew Sullivan will be on again eventually, though.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

ExiledTinkerer posted:

Hard to say how the panel will fare tonight as the only immediately recognizable name on the list is Howard Dean...

You don't know about Bill Burr? Buddy, if you can't do the math on that, I can't help you.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Mr Interweb posted:

Never heard of him before, but yeah "douche" is probably a strong word.

His most devoted fans refer to him in much harsher terms. He's an admitted ignoramus and freckled oval office.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
The thing that makes Islam's craziness unique is the belief that Muhammad was the best example of a man's behavior. And since Muhammad was born in the sixth century, his ideas about right and wrong are a little old fashioned, to put it mildly. This is why ISIS thinks it's fine to murder non-believers, have sex slaves, and marry children. And obviously, Muhammad was not a product of the "meddling West."

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Like Bill, I don't see why every criticism of Islam has to be interrupted so we can blame "the West."

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Yes, slavery and exploitation happened. And they were justified by Islam. For about 1400 years.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
"Just asking questions!" about vaccines and autism tonight, folks. :allears:

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
"Weird" white kids were getting kicked out of school all the time after Columbine and even during the earlier "Satanic Panic." Americans are afraid of whoever the current boogeyman is.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Is this show live tonight?

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Apoplexy posted:

Islam is a problem because its adherents actually believe in its retarded ideology and tenets. If it were a moderated religion practiced by milquetoast adherents like European Christianity is, it would be exactly as threatening to liberal values as every other religion. That's the problem: Its believers believe and that makes them dangerous.

As George Carlin put it, "We stopped believing in our bullshit. They still believe in their bullshit!"

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Super Deuce posted:

I just watched it, and if anything you're backwards. Dr. West was actually the insulting one by entirely dismissing the religion of slave-master point with a wordy tangent about Egypt. I'd have liked to see Bill combat where the discussion went much harder. To say that black people accepting Christianity as true was because Jews were persecuted in Egypt is incredibly asinine and furthers my confusion about why we take everything anybody labeled as an "academic" says as correct.

West might be one of those guys who thinks the whole Bible is actually about black people.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Did this woman admit to committing voter fraud on overtime?

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Maher's always opposed liberal culture police. His old show was called Politically Incorrect. Which was a much better show on average than Real Time, imo.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Solvent posted:

If there's a certainty that sea level will rise, what, 6 to 8 feet over the next 20 years?

Who's saying that's a certainty? That's a much doomier and gloomier projection than I've ever heard.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Is the one on one interview with Michael Moore up anywhere?

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Prager is the worst of the right wing radio assholes because he has no sense of humor. Limbaugh produces something entertaining once in a while. Evil, but entertaining. Hannity was friends with Opie and Anthony. Laura Ingraham is literally publicly a Nazi, which is funny, though not "ha ha" funny. But Prager? Unlistenable. He's just a oval office.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Was perusing the wiki page for Colin Quinn's old show Tough Crowd and was surprised to learn Bill's old show Politically Incorrect was a major inspiration for it. Any random episode of Tough Crowd uploaded to Youtube from an old VHS tape is far more watchable than Real Time. It's kind of insane to see how gung-ho almost all the comics were about invading Iraq, though. And you could get away with blatant homophobia too. Wasn't that long ago.