Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
Well, I personally loved when Bill brought up the flooding along the Front Range of Colorado and Bill Nye pipes up with, "Well, that's climate change". Why does he continually try to cheapen the research being done by thousands of scientists?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
Roth graduated magna cum laude from the Wharton School. :psyduck:

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
I keep waiting for a Zizek/Mark Ames/David Simon panel. Someone who writes for this show has to read this forum. Sixty minutes of talking by the panel, with few interruptions by Bill and no New Rules. Make it happen!

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
I believe that the National Review has more important things to worry about than how they appear on Real Time.

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
When I saw that Pussy Riot and Taibbi were going to be on, I thought that there may be some mention of the Exile. :nws:The Exile is where I first heard of Pussy Riot before there was a Pussy Riot (Voina collective):nws:. I found it bizarre that Taibbi claims that he is mellow, considering his outburst at the Vanity Fair journalist who was writing a retrospective of the Exile. However, it was cool to here Taibbi speak fluent Russian. Rob Lowe exclaiming that he usually gets the right to hit on the pretty one with her husband sitting directly behind her was :ughh:.

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
I liked the part where they started the ball rolling on an interesting topic, Iraq and Syria. Especially since they had Jeremy Scahill on the panel. Unfortunately, that lasted all of five and a half minutes to be cut short for Twitter Wars: starring those wacky two popes. :laffo:

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
Amen.

Moar David Simon please. Also, Matt Taibbi and newcomer Mark Ames. Would be interesting to see those two on the same stage after their split.

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
Mio dio, special (special) guests Ron Christie and Alexis Goldstein tonight. Let the :munch: :downsbravo: commence.

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
I like how the English teacher gets some blame for contacting senior staff in the first place. No talk of how the law enforcement officers may or may not have been overzealous with their questioning of the boy. Any teacher is trained to contact the administrative office out of a genuine sense of fear and being obligated to do so by the bureaucratic rules of zero tolerance. It seems like after Sandy Hook, they are expected to throw their bodies on top of their students in the case of a spree shooting. gently caress that.

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013

Immortan posted:

This kid making #1 international headlines in the world is beyond loving shameful. How about lets report on muslims with real problems such as Syrian refugees or the Kurds in general.

Oh, I agree. I thought with 45 minutes of REAL TALK, instead of the usual 25, that they would talk about the situation in Europe more than say, Donald Trump's latest gaffe. For instance, he could have used the battle in the streets that occurred last Sunday in Stockholm between the Grey Wolves (Turkish ultra-nationalists) and the PKK (Kurds) as his latest piece of evidence that MOOSLIMS cannot be integrated into European society.

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
lol no

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
We all love Norm right? At least GBS does...

quote:

What about Bill Maher? He’s both political and an outspoken atheist.

Yeah, yeah. I find him completely unfunny. Like, maybe the unfunniest person I’ve ever encountered that’s called a comedian. I like his show because of the arguing back and forth, and he knows a lot about politics. But the worst is when he forces you to sit on the panel while he does his New Rules, which are just a bunch of jokes. And you have to sit there, a foot from the dude with a camera in your face. You’d think he would just excuse them, but no, you have to sit there and watch.

And you’re expected to laugh.

Yeah, of course. You have to laugh like a banshee. I like watching actual political guys who know their stuff. One time Bill Maher was on Meet the Press, and it was hilarious. George Will like tore into him, because once you get in with the big boys who actually do it for a living, it doesn’t matter what you know. George Will had huge contempt for him and was slapping him around, and suddenly Bill Maher wasn’t confident at all anymore. It was really funny to watch. [Maher and Will actually sparred on ABC's 'This Week.']

So I take it you wouldn’t do Real Time? Or would you if Maher asked you?

(Laughs.) No, I would not. If I did I would just do jokes. I remember Garry Shandling once went on the show and did a great joke and Bill Maher stepped all over it. Maher was talking about the war in Iraq, and Garry goes, “I’m against the war, but at least I wish we had cheaper f—ing gas. Didn’t we steal their oil?” And it starts getting a big laugh and Bill goes, “Yeah, we go in wanting to get WMDs and we get STP.” And the whole audience stops laughing and Shandling goes, “Thanks for the help.” So those are the two levels of comedy.

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
i think that americans and the french have far more in common than either would ever care to admit. but yeah, the sudden love of france is hilarious considering where we were in 2003.

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
america always gets garbage people from england. russell brand, piers morgan, jeremy kyle, the osbournes, the beckhams, john oliver... jeremy clarkson (2017).

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
eh, he is at the same place as most GBS posters.

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
I'd be happy with a Taibbi/Ames reconciliation, with David Simon there to round out the table.

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
Gee whiz, the female version of Beaker kept talking over everybody, especially Jon Meacham. I like when they have actual intelligent guests on the panel and they are reduced to ten or less seconds to speak about the question at hand. Libertarians always have the simplistic hot take or unique perspective on every issue, no matter how complex or nuanced. Kind of like the Info Wars crowd.

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
Yeah, my bad. I quickly gleaned his wiki page and see he only has a BA in English Literature from The University of the South. I thought he had a PhD for some reason. My mom had to read his Jefferson book for her book club, which should have been a red flag to me. Without looking, next week feels like a Rushdie/Frum/shrill bimbo Bill is trying to screw panel.

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013

punk rebel ecks posted:

Greenwald seemed to shut him up just fine. But then again that is probably why he is no longe appearing on the show.

speaking of guests no longer appearing on the show, is andrew sullivan considered this after his spat with bill over hillary?

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013

Doughbaron posted:

What's the point of telling her that her view of her own experience is wrong at this point?

Because Americans can be dumb, puritanical assholes sometimes.

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
Bill was just spotted posting in the 'Explosion at Brussels Airport' thread over in GBS.

Ian Bremmer is only 5'0" tall. Poor guy had to lean over the table to make his points.

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013

Inferior Third Season posted:

It's so loving stupid. I'm an American expat working in Denmark, and to do my taxes here is literally "Push this button to accept, push this other button to amend".

I have to fill out a bunch of poo poo to file my American taxes (on which I have no American income). And it's not like I could just fill out the proper forms myself and e-file directly to the IRS. No, e-filing requires a third party, and one can't find a free method of e-filing when the forms are "complicated" (i.e. the 'I don't live in the U.S. and have paid foreign taxes' form). So I have to pay a third party to file my taxes, of which I owe none.

And this is not even taking into account the pain in the rear end that is FBAR and FATCA.

Preach on brother. I lived as an American ex-pat in Italy and Austria for three years. I could not get a simple savings/checking account at the largest Italian and largest German banks in Bolzano, apparently due in large part to FATCA. Isn't the U.S. one of only two (or even the only) countries that will tax citizens earning money abroad? As in, you live in Europe, hold a valid permit to stay (permesso di soggiorno), have an apartment lease, work for an Italian research organization and spend your money locally. I would also add, and save money in foreign bank account but yeah. I understand there are agreements between the US and other countries, so there is no double taxation. But it would be so much simpler if I just paid the taxes to the country I earned the income in, instead of calculating the EUR to USD exchange rate on every single payday date. I know other Americans that worked in research, made a paltry salary, didn't file any tax returns and just simply started paying taxes again upon return to the U.S. They never were audited, even though they had a multi-year gap between filed returns.

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013

Animal-Mother posted:

Maher's always opposed liberal culture police. His old show was called Politically Incorrect. Which was a much better show on average than Real Time, imo.

poo poo, you just need to fall down the youtube rabbit hole to 2004 to see a civilized, well-spoken panel with a less insane maher. maybe later than 2004, but i miss george carlin. the only celebrity death that bummed me out. :smith:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxwfkQd2oRM

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
whenever bill rants about millenials, legalizing weed or being single, i think of norm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3IMdOguZaU&t=7410s

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013

doctorfrog posted:

I wish the format would go McLaughlin group style just once to see what it's like, where there's less shouting over things and more actual debate and no jokes, but that's stupid, I can just watch that Dana Carvey SNL skit at any time, and it's probably topical enough. Patty Patty Buke Buke!

No, that's a good idea. I still watch the McLaughlin Group from time to time. :corsair:

They really would benefit from excising New Rules, the comedy bit at 30 minute mark and then the next five to ten minute interview with rando Hollywood dumdum. I would love to see a panel that included David Simon, Matt Taibbi and Mark Ames. Oh well.

Ferdinand Bardamu fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Jul 23, 2016

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013

Super Deuce posted:

That's definitely one way to get me to stop watching.

heh heh, i concur. norm macdonald would own, bring a little GBS to HBO.

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013

Alec Bald Snatch posted:

the primary reason why trump shouldn't be president is because he'll put mike pence in charge of everything that matters and that rear end in a top hat is a true believer

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013

Zogo posted:

Obama has taken Bush's snooping/spying to new levels. We're spying on the entire planet. The left's silence on it is deafening.

motherfucking this. i'll link to an interview with john pilger who gives an analysis of the election that i don't think we'd ever hear on real time. can't wait for bill to drive his motorized scooter on set and whine about hillary's decrease in aggregate votes from obama (drat lazy millenials! drat liberal college campuses with their safe spaces and SJWs!! drat berniebros that didn't vote!).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1Ho8OrBzig

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
JFC, Bass Bottles.

Roe v. Wade being overturned is highly unlikely. There's just too much precedent stemming from that initial holding that would also have to fall and SCOTUS is loathe to being that sweeping unless they are expanding rights. What you're more likely to see is more state law restrictions and even then Obama has been able to get enough lower federal court appointees to prevent too much damage. As for deportations, Obama has ramped up these numbers since he took office. Another thing the left in the US is silent on.

Also, look at all those things Obama got pushed through when his administration had a majority in the House and Senate for the first half of his first term. Yeah, not that impressive, so maybe you should take a chill pill and realize that the Trump Administration isn't going to bend the arm of the Census Bureau in order to identify all Americans with at least 25 percent Jewish ancestry.

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013

punk rebel ecks posted:

EDIT: Bill played the "Trump is a Russian puppet!" card.

Consider my cats shocked.

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
yeah, i'm bretty, bretty annoyed that he continues his autistic obsession with identity politics and RUSSIA RUSSIA RUSSIA.

i'll stick with jimmy dore for a comedian's critique on the democratic party in 2017.

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
The only reason she (or any other attractive female) was on the show is because Bill is either actively tappin' dat rear end or he is desperately trying to. Too bad Matt Taibbi cockblocked Bill and Rob Lowe, re: Pussy Riot.

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
I think it had more to do with the fact that Tomi was surrounded by people smarter and/or having more life experience than her. I guess she felt a bit intimidated or was at least smart enough to know not to add any more white noise/garbage than she already had. Isn't her show just consisting of her speaking into a camera alone?

I continue to watch this shitpile out of some sort of duty or for some masochistic effect. I got much more mental nourishment watching Jimmy Dore's recent interview with Mark Blyth for 35-40 minutes (nice when a host asks a question and then stands back, instead of interrupting or derailing the discussion with a lame joke) than I did watching any 35-40 minute Real Time panel discussion in the last xx shows.

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
Cultural resentment is what won Trump the election, I think is the logic there. SNL and Sean Penn shut their yaps and a Democrat wins in 2020. Bill Maher is a emotional, lizard brained retard on some things like our boomer parents.

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
The DNC really believes that Bernie's campaign was an abberation and because Hilldawg won the primary, that that movement is dead and buried. They will never learn their loving lesson. :bravo:

https://twitter.com/delmoi/status/830549925037559817

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
Ah yes, Rachel Maddow, who threw Bernie and his supporters under the bus repeatedly. Comcast pays her $30,000 per day to spout her neoliberal horseshit. I'll pass.

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013

Bass Bottles posted:

Girls is a good show and Lena Dunham is very cool

Jastiger dummy account spotted.

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
RT at least has Chris Hedges, Mark Ames, Mark Blyth and John Pilger on. Who does MSNBC have? They fired the one anchor that was on the right side of history about the Iraq War and was terminated for that very reason. There's even written proof of it. Chris Matthews cheerleads the wars until they turn south. Now he scolds all those that pushed for it. Rachel Maddow gets 30k per night for Comcrap to carry the DNC's water. Poor Lawrence O'Donnell just yells at a camera in an empty studio for 60 minutes each night.

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
yeah, great. run with the russia bs. get trump and bannon out of the white house. now the country is run by pence and ryan, who are actually capable of carrying through on their horrible agenda.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
russia's no great actor but you can't tell me that the cia didn't foment the coup in ukraine. also, the troop build up in the baltics and poland. imagine russia or 'JINA! had military outposts along the us/canada border or us/mexico border. the us has 400 surrounding russia and 400 (overlap with russia) surrounding china. the us meddled with the russian election in 1996(?), it even made the cover of time magazine (yanks to the rescue). of course, you would never hear this on real time or cnn or msnbc. you would on RT but they're pure evil. maybe the war nerd podcast? john dolan and mark ames, two americans who spent a dozen years living in russia during the yeltsin/putin regimes. taibbi lived there for not as long but also noted that even if the russia hack is provable, the us has done the same throughout the world and it didn't really matter in the end as this is a deflection by the neoliberals to not address the fact that their candidate and (lack of) agenda was dog poo poo.