Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.

Rhesus Pieces posted:

Anyone else really impressed with Kerry Washington on today's panel?

She was fairly strong. Mark Foley was quiet.

And I wish they had talked about http://www.thedailydolt.com/2012/10...with-todd-akin/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS

escape artist posted:

That's also why Glenn Beck and Shawn Hannity get any attention too, right? :psyduck:

I watched Fox's coverage after the VP debate. Frank Luntz had a focus group who all said Biden won the debate. Cut back to Hannity saying how Ryan won, and nobody could see it differently.

I really can't understand how they have an audience.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS

escape artist posted:

Actually David Frum, PJ O'Rourke and Andrew Sullivan are a few conservatives that come to mind that are good to have on the panel.

I agree, however Sullivan suffers from holier-than-thou syndrome very often.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh man. Tonight should be great. Barney Frank, Nate Silver, Chrystia Freeland, Elliot Spitzer, and Michael Steele.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS

RedneckwithGuns posted:

I know it's kind of late, but as soon as he brought on that anti-GMO guest last week I turned it off. Bill Maher is entertaining, but god he has the worst scientific opinions.

Maybe you should listen to the interview, instead of assuming you know more than the guy who studies it.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS

Dudebro posted:

I wouldn't just trust whatever that guy says, even if he's on the "good" side. Giving him free reign going unchecked is dangerous for viewers who aren't experts, which is pretty much every viewer.

Obviously you should research information for yourself, but ignoring the guy because you assume he's wrong is idiotic.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Michael Steele seems like he plays the devil's advocate more than he agrees with his party.

Also, I can't stop picturing him as an Antican from Star Trek.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS

watt par posted:

Does this kid remind anyone else of Bill S. Preston, Esq.?

I've told all of my friends who complain that I watch Bill Maher that Alex Winter-alike is on.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS

watt par posted:

Oh boy next week's panel looks like a doozy. Corey Black Superman Booker, James Cajun Style Carville, Andrew Bugchaser Sullivan, and SE Cupp. Either gonna be three Obamanauts trash talking the token republican or SE Cupp implodes in a black hole of smugness. Appointment TV either way, and better than the inane talking head-fest this week.

SE won't make it out with any dignity. She can only hope that Sullivan can protect her.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
The funniest part of her hand talking was when she blatantly started copying Howard Dean's hand talking.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
I'm a little weirded out by how much Bill has been touching Snoop tonight.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS

ApexAftermath posted:

Who is the guy on the far left? I'm at work but I can see the show playing on this little 12 inch set in a room across from my desk. Is that the milhouse looking conservative dude they have on sometimes and can't shut his stupid loving sounding voice up for nothing? Drawing a blank on this rear end in a top hat's name at the moment.

Stephen Moore. He's a frequent guest.

Also, yeah. This panel is particularly volatile.

Tomahawk posted:

Steve Moore.

Also, get this poor kid a tailor.

His mom picked it out in the store today assuming he'd grow into it in a few years.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Overtime addressing the Miranda Rights misconception. Great.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS

kenlyric posted:

Correctly?

Mentioning the correct exception, yes. However, not addressing that there is no requirement to read them upon arrest which was the cause of people's concern.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS

nine-gear crow posted:

Maher has always written Snowden off as a kook, ever since day one when it was obvious to everyone with two brain cells to rub together that he wasn't screwing around with the claims he was making. I have no idea why he does it, but then again he's still a proud, rabid anti-vaxxer, so Maher is just as capable of being as pigheadedly ignorant as the so-called "un-house trained" Republicans he so often derides.

I'm sorry, but saying he's anti- vaccine is wrong. He has made it clear what his position is and it's anything but anti-vaccine.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS

comes along bort posted:

While technically it's fair to say he's not a simple anti-vaxxer, he's a skeptic for really dumb reasons, all of which come from the anti-vaxx industry.

Still not correct. He doesn't feel we should vaccinate for everything. That's not being anti-vaccine.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Except in OT, the nun was completely rude and not absorbing his point at all. She was far worse for actual discourse. She interrupted his reasonable comment with nonsense anecdotes that never disputed his point.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS

peter banana posted:

when Bill stops calling women cunts as joke or talking about how hilarious it would be if "X female celebrity" was beaten up, then I'll believe his righteous indignation with Muslim institutional misogyny. Dudes like that are just looking for an excuse to be racist.

Are you referring to him calling Sarah Palin a oval office? She is a oval office. It's also funny. How is this related in any way to racism?

Also, it's not misogynistic to suggest that a woman be beaten up.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS

peter banana posted:

Are you serious?

Is it misandry to suggest a man be beaten up?

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS

Trabisnikof posted:

Go back to redpill if you think the world is that loving simple.

It would be misogyny to suggest all women should be beaten. It's not misogyny to suggest one woman be beaten. It really is simple.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS

Zogo posted:

Yea, well that could come in handy in the future when someone needs a political scapegoat. Some politician of the future will proudly proclaim that we should "let North Dakota fail" and that those fools shouldn't have put all their eggs into one basket.

Going by what he's said in the past I believe Bill is antinuclear or at least very wary of it. :laugh:

From what I've read the amount of permanent waste is laughably small compared to the size of the planet. The aversion to nuclear technology is at best some kind of technophobia and at worst disinformation put out by those who don't want it to flourish for obvious reasons.

It's a lot more reasonable to be anti-nuclear than you make it seem. When nuclear goes wrong, it goes wrong fairly big. Trusting today's corporations to implement nuclear further makes me very wary. The technology is great, the implementation may not be. When you have every major energy corporation in this country begging to have no regulation, I'd much rather invest in an energy source that doesn't depend on competence (Not that others don't). For me, it's simply not worth the risk to trust most of these companies to produce any energy, let alone nuclear.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS

Zogo posted:

Tell me your concerns. Goes wrong fairly big?

Wouldn't that leave us with no energy?

I'm not going to tell you about occurrences that you clearly know about. Don't be obtuse.

Many nuclear advocates, as you seem to be, think there are no other options to pursue. Clearly that's not true.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
From Overtime, I'm surprised that Silverman thinks the Redskins should change their name. Also, they went over that without mentioning any other team names.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
That vet guy is everything I hate about vets. "You haven't been there! We need vets on the news because they're experts!"

Well, not everything, but he was an rear end.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS

Slightly Toasted posted:

I was more under the impression that Sam and Bill were trying to frame all of Islam as radical, Bill moreso of course as per usual.

I really enjoyed Ben this week. It's neat to see someone call Bill out on his islam views.

They clearly weren't. Ben hosed up, and only heard what he wanted to hear.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS

Animal-Mother posted:

You sound just like the KKK.

Um. What?

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS

420DD Butts posted:

Just watched this, and really I find it amazing that anyone would side with Harris over Islam. The man has gone on record repeatedly to shield Israel from criticism for blowing up countless thousands of civilians in their attempt to squeeze the Gaza Strip into nonexistence. Even if Ben was a bit melodramatic, both Harris and Maher have a tendency to target Islam (and Muslims) over any other religious group and claims of "rampant" terrorism aren't very far behind in the discussion.

But seriously, gently caress Sam Harris, Hitchens, Dawkins and all of their ilk.

Being wrong about something doesn't mean you're wrong about everything.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
I'm not sure Frum has ever looked at someone while speaking.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Carly Fiorina thinks people don't kill in the name of other religions? She's incredibly obtuse.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS

ExiledTinkerer posted:

Fiorina seriously considering a run in OT eh? Gotta waste other people's money as per usual!

She really was terrible on the panel in all respects with all her hollow indignation---might as well been on a little ivory tower looking down at everyone as opposed to a chair.

I'll actually got a good chuckle out of the Cosby digs, especially the movie poster.

I'm not sure what was worse, what I said above, or everything having to be woman-centric for her to comment.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS

Michael Scott posted:

If you have decent insurance it IS free with zero copay. You walk into a drug store, get a shot, and walk out with no exchange of anything but your insurance card.

the 23% effectiveness this year based on preliminary data from the CDC is an anomaly, it is normally 50%+ effective, so your rationale is pretty nearsighted.

Decent insurance, hm. That's an interesting stipulation. Something the "vaccinations mandatory!" crowd oft forgets.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Why is Bill always so touchy when he has fellow comedians on? Not that Mel was avoiding the touching.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS

IRQ posted:

I've sat through his racist screeds about muslims and poo poo but this episode was just too much. I shut it off about 10 minutes into the panel. I never do that.

gently caress off Bill Maher.

How is he racist? What? People saying things isn't racist. People acting on the things they say is racist. Quoting statistics isn't racist regardless who is seen negatively from them.

Also, maybe they weren't right entirely about vaccinations, but being skeptical towards big pharma was the point they were trying to make. They don't doubt the science of vaccinations. Similarly, I don't doubt the science and statistics showing that nuclear power being vastly more efficient, but that doesn't mean I'm not skeptical about energy companies trying to implement it. Not to say what they use now is better, but I don't want additions to bad.

That's how they see medicine. It's not that outrageous. But, I get it, it's flavor of the month to be outraged at anybody saying anything else.

The one argument I really had against their vaccination argument is that nobody ever links health care costs to it. They talked about single payer in OT, I think it was, but it wasn't connected. That's why I don't like a mandate for specific care, like vaccinations. While they still allow people not to opt in for the ACA, and pay the fine, they can't also require vaccinations.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS

comes along bort posted:

The ACA doesn't require people get vaccinations, it just requires participating insurers to cover it.

I'm aware, but that's what people want.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
The only thing I could focus on all episode was that weird cartoon-y laugh.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
What was wrong with what Bill said about Islam in that first discussion? I legitimately don't understand the complaints towards his stance against Islam.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS

comes along bort posted:

He thinks that the problems in the middle east are something inherent to Islam and not everything else wrong there.

It's both.

If your infallible book says to do something, you should probably be doing it. If people who take those books as truths don't practice to the letter, they're double wrong. They're wrong for thinking a book is correct, and wrong because they don't listen to the book.

Sure some of the specifics of punishments for certain things are in different texts, but the meat is in the infallible. The same is true for Judaism and Christianity. If you're going to align yourself with those sects, but pretend to be moderate, what's the point? If anything, I respect the radically religious more for their belief than the moderate, because they take it to the extent of what they pretend is there. (I obviously respect the moderate people more for their discretion in not killing people, but not for their belief)

Denying that the books are major parts of the problem is protective nonsense. It's a shame they cut Bill off before he could finish his social club analogy, because it's completely accurate. Assume there was a country club with the same guidelines as Islam. Would we go after the problem at the knees, or would we hit them with pillows until they change their mind?

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS

IRQ posted:

Do you deny climate change too?

We've done a lot of lovely things to the world as the dominant culture, I'm sorry if that makes you feel guilty or something. Slavery happened, colonialism happened, mass exploitation of natural resources happened, genocide happened. It doesn't give me the warm fuzzies either, but trying to place sole blame on the religion of a region historically systemically destabilized, subjugated, and exploited is insane. Maher himself likes to say that Islam now is like Christianity during the crusades or whatever era, but he fails to understand why Islam (in the context of the people he's actually talking about) hasn't progressed like Judaism and Christianity have in discarding the more hosed up aspects of their religions.

Or am I just being Irish Joed here?

As far as I'm concerned, no religion has progressed. They're all as backwards as ever.

Also, who has ever said it's the instability in certain regions is solely the fault of religion?

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS

Onomarchus posted:

Oh my sweet Christ, and I thought this show was bad about vaccines before. That was terrible. HBO, fire Bill Maher.

If anything they were better than ever because they talked about jurisprudence and cost. Two glaring issues with vaccine policy moving forward.

But we get it. You read that Jenny McCarthy is stupid, and you're smart, so everyone who doesn't agree 100% with what you think you know must be wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Despite him writing a book, or whatever else about that, you'll note he didn't speak out of turn about it. That files him under not a dickbag status. People are allowed to be wrong.