Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

You Are The Ref is a British footballing comic series currently published weekly in the Guardian.

Each strip presents the ref (you) with a series of unusual or difficult refereeing decisions which you must solve, usually along with a cool illustration of a different top footballer every week. Strips are typically posted on the Guardian website on Fridays, with the answers going up the following Monday.

The interesting thing about YATR is that there's no definitive 'right' answer, rather you get the view of a Top Former Referee who tells you what he'd do in the situations outlined. Unfortunately the Top Former Referee is Keith Hackett, so feel free to disagree with him. Have fun and remember:

Punching Gary Neville in the face is always an acceptable answer.

This week's questions, with bonus Giant Dirk Kuyt Head:

the sex ghost fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Jan 14, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

luvd_
Nov 4, 2006

by T. Finn

SteadfastMeat posted:

Punching Gary Neville in the face is always an acceptable answer.

Umm.

TimberJoe
Oct 24, 2010

aww yeah im on this burger and shit

Winner of the PWM POTM for March 2012
Be warned that chuggo has the book

1) Goal stands
2) Beat up the captain to show them who's boss
3) Red card for the defender

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

luvd posted:

Umm.

I hope someone punches Busfield in the face

TimberJoe
Oct 24, 2010

good thread btw

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

إنه أصلع في الأسفل، كما تعلم

luvd posted:

Umm.

In this forum punching Gary Neville in his stupid loving rat face will always be an acceptable answer.

luvd_
Nov 4, 2006

by T. Finn

T. Finn posted:

In this forum punching Gary Neville in his stupid loving rat face will always be an acceptable answer.

Haha.

1) Goal
2) Tell them you're going to tell on them if one of them doesn't take it and to man up.
3) Red card and free kick.

TimberJoe
Oct 24, 2010

In a match between Birmingham City and Liverpool a Birmingham player is brought down in the penalty area

Do you

a)Award a penalty to Manchester United?
b) Consult with your linesman before awarding a penalty to Manchester United?
c)Send off the goalkeeper and award a penalty to Manchester United?

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
1) Goal stands, the keeper should have been concentrating on the ball and not some naked bird on the other side of the pitch

2) If they straight up refuse to take the penalty it's a booking for dissent and a free kick to the other team maybe? Of course if they already think you're biased and then you start handing out bookings at the end of the game and they're already 3-0 down you might get Gary Nevilled

3) Straight red, I think. He's the last man and it's a clear goalscoring opportunity. Free kick to the attacking team

nervana
Dec 9, 2010
i've always wondered:

does this count?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJCG_g4EI6c&feature=fvw

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
An Italian fascist gets mad and jostles you slightly. What do you do

luvd_
Nov 4, 2006

by T. Finn

nervana posted:

i've always wondered:

does this count?

Yes

Belgarath
Feb 21, 2003
  1. Goal stands. The keeper shouldn't be looking at her tits.
  2. Yellow card the Captain for the players refusal, have a drop ball and encourage the winning team to give possession back to the losing side.
  3. Red card, free kick.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Number 3 seems way more straightforward than these usually are - what is the complication meant to be?

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

peanut- posted:

Number 3 seems way more straightforward than these usually are - what is the complication meant to be?

you have to get around Dirk Kuyt's giant loving head

Wazzerphuk
Feb 9, 2001

Hating Chelsea before it was cool
Winner of the PWM POTM for September
Winner of the PWM POTM for January
Co-Winner of the PWM POTM for March

peanut- posted:

Some nonsense about it not being a red card if it's in your own half. Also the massive head thing.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Also this thread made me look at the LOAF and I never realised before that if you put the ball into your own net directly from a free kick, it only counts as a corner to the opposing team.

Oceanbound
Jan 19, 2008

Time to let the dead be dead.
I want a viral campaign involving naked girls running onto pitches with YATR questions strapped around their boobs.

fat gay nonce
May 13, 2003
actual penis length: |-----------|

Winner, PWM POTM January
I once refereed a game between 3 drunk men and also own my own cosplay referee kit so be sure that I will be following this thread with interest and you can refer to me for the definitive answer on any situation.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

nervana posted:

i've always wondered:

does this count?

I'd give a yellow for unsportsmanlike behaviour. It's no different than kicking the ball out of the keeper's hand when he's about to drop kick it.

Mr Pepper
Nov 29, 2006

:jiggled:Top Class:jiggled:

Tsaedje posted:

I'd give a yellow for unsportsmanlike behaviour. It's no different than kicking the ball out of the keeper's hand when he's about to drop kick it.

you must be joking. he put the ball down, so it's in play

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Tsaedje posted:

No it isn't (also that latter thing was not illegal either for ages, there was a phoenix from the flames where george best scored like that but it was disallowed for no reason)

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

I had a YATR desk calendar in work last year, it loving owned. I want a 2011 one now. :(

Some of the Trevillion drawings in it were hilarious.

TimberJoe
Oct 24, 2010

irlZaphod posted:

I had a YATR desk calendar in work last year, it loving owned. I want a 2011 one now. :(

Some of the Trevillion drawings in it were hilarious.

I can't remember which one but an animation studio holds classes to draw action like trevillion

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

I think #3 is a yellow, it's too far away to be considered a goalscoring opportunity? But idk.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Nikolai Fuckharin posted:

I can't remember which one but an animation studio holds classes to draw action like trevillion
I hope they don't teach to draw black people like Trevillion, because I kinda feel like most of his are fairly borderline racist looking.

TimberJoe
Oct 24, 2010

irlZaphod posted:

I hope they don't teach to draw black people like Trevillion, because I kinda feel like most of his are fairly borderline racist looking.

lol no just demonstration of action, line of movement and stuff like that

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

As the lone Gary Neville supporter on these forums I'm disgusted by the OP and Forum Administrator T. Finn's comments ITT(in this thread).

TimberJoe
Oct 24, 2010

You are the ref in a wrestling match. Someone brushes lightly against you, do you

a)Stay on your feet and call the rest of the match as per normal?
b)Disqualify them for attacking an official?
c)Be knocked prone only to miraculously recover in time to count the pinfall?

Kouerson
Mar 5, 2008

If you die in Canada, you die in real life.
The only correct answer is c. I would also add d) pretend you have had a massive stroke from the contact, forcing another ref to come in and count the pinfall.

DrWrestling69
Feb 4, 2008

Tracyanne...

Shrapnac posted:

As the lone Gary Neville supporter on these forums I'm disgusted by the OP and Forum Administrator T. Finn's comments ITT(in this thread).

punch Gary Neville in the face.

Babby Thatcher
May 3, 2004

concept by my buddy kyle

Nikolai Fuckharin posted:

You are the ref in a wrestling match. Someone brushes lightly against you, do you

a)Stay on your feet and call the rest of the match as per normal?
b)Disqualify them for attacking an official?
c)Be knocked prone only to miraculously recover in time to count the pinfall?

d) fast count. im earl hebner bitch

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Shrapnac posted:

I recommend seeing a therapist about that

DrWrestling69
Feb 4, 2008

Tracyanne...

Iggy Pop Barker posted:

d) fast count. im earl hebner bitch

booooooooooooooooooooooooo. You screwed bret.

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

1) Goal stands. Keeper's attitude to staring at naked chicks, while commendable, should perhaps be kept outwith working hours.
2) Abandon the match, report the matter to the FA, and watch as everyone agrees you did the right thing in law. This will of course be a huge consolation to you as you spend the next 6 months refereeing Blue Square games.
3) Red card and a free kick. Unless the attacker was Emile Heskey. Even with an empty net, it's still not an obvious goalscoring opportunity.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

1) Ask the assistants on details from the streaker, disallow goal when juggs were big enough to provide a distraction.

2) Ball drop-in in the box, whistle for full-time as soon as contact has been made.

3) Dirk Kuyt. (Tactical foul, booking)

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

1) Take down the streakers number in your little book and have her sent to your changing room after the game. Goal stands.

2) Take the penalty yourself, miss hilariously and sprint the length of the pitch pumping your arms and yelling like a drug-addled Diego Maradona. Then blow for full time.

3) Abandon the match due to the gigantic Dirk Kuyt threatening to devour the stadium.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

The thing with 3) is that the rule, as far as I know, gives the referee a lot of subjective leeway in how to interpret a "clear" goal-scoring opportunity. In other words, there's no "right" answer. The last defender, attacking half rules are mere rules of thumb. If the forward was Emile Heskey like Semprini suggested, it might be an actual, valid reason to not give the red card, since it's not a clear goal-scoring opportunity!

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Emile Heskey is bad at football!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Evenn if the player is a goalkeeper and historically bad at 1 on 1's you're dumb if you even suggest otherwise.

• Locked thread