Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Jose posted:

Evenn if the player is a goalkeeper and historically bad at 1 on 1's you're dumb if you even suggest otherwise.

what about 1 on nothings seeing as it specifies 'an empty net'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Transatlantic Gulp posted:

what about 1 on nothings seeing as it specifies 'an empty net'

The attacking player

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

I think I'm with most here.

1) Goal stands.

2) Yellow card the captain for dissent (Not entirely sure of this), reverse the free kick.

3) Red card, free kick.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Who's ready for Keith Hackett's expert verdict? I KNOW I AM

quote:

1) The goal stands. The keeper cannot use something happening in the other half of the pitch as an excuse: the streaker clearly didn't interfere with play. Delay the restart until the intruder and the stewards have left the field – and include it in your report afterwards.

2) Call the side's captain to you, and ask him to tell you who will be taking the penalty kick. If he refuses to do this, show him a yellow card for delaying the restart. If he still refuses, show him a second yellow, followed by a red, and abandon the game. Report the full facts to the authorities.

3) Caution (yellow card) the defender. You need to consider where the foul took place, the distance between the offence and the goal, and the likelihood of the striker keeping control of the ball. A red card would imply that the defender had denied an obvious goalscoring opportunity – this was not "obvious", even though the net was empty.
__________________________________________/

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

If the keeper was still back I'd agree with 3) but with an empty net he'd have to fall over his own feet to not score.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Surprised at 3, given that it creates a pretty specific professional foul situation where the logical choice for the defender would always be to commit the foul.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

3 is always a judgement call, how likely are other defenders to catch up with the break before a shot is made etc. I'd probably go for a red, though.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Dudley posted:

If the keeper was still back I'd agree with 3) but with an empty net he'd have to fall over his own feet to not score.
He's in his own half, and a chasing defender has caught up with him though. It's not an obvious goalscoring opportunity, he could shoot from the half way line, but how many players could score from that range?

TimberJoe
Oct 24, 2010

aww yeah im on this burger and shit

Winner of the PWM POTM for March 2012
I want to see 2) happen so badly

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

Nikolai Fuckharin posted:

I want to see 2) happen so badly

When was the last abandoned game in England that wasn't due to lovely weather?

TimberJoe
Oct 24, 2010

SteadfastMeat posted:

god knows, I want to say Hillsborough but I'm sure there's been one since

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards
The Battle of Brammall Lane is the last one I can think of, but that's a while back now.

Chris de Sperg
Aug 14, 2009

Mickolution posted:

The Battle of Brammall Lane is the last one I can think of, but that's a while back now.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZDsjY3uFdE
I'm fairly certain it was the last one, yeah. That was apparently eight years ago, which makes me feel really loving old since I still remember it being headline news.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards
March 2002, so almost 9 years ago :(

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

Santos went in like that because the season before Johnson had elbowed him and left him with a fractured eye socket and needing a mental plate in his face. Not justifying it etc etc but that was the reason, it wasn't just a random act of violence. There was a weird atmosphere all day at that game. Before the match a load of West Brom fans tried to get on the pitch to get to a section of the Sheff Utd supporters as well.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

The fact that it was premeditated makes it all the more sinister in my opinion. I can accept a player getting a bit too fired up over the course of a game, or who has a rough style of play - at the end of the day they're still there to play football. Incidents like Keane's assault on Haland are jarring because actually intending to injure and cause harm to another player is another level entirely and doesn't belong anywhere near the game.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Scikar posted:

The fact that it was premeditated makes it all the more sinister in my opinion. I can accept a player getting a bit too fired up over the course of a game, or who has a rough style of play - at the end of the day they're still there to play football. Incidents like Keane's assault on Haland are jarring because actually intending to injure and cause harm to another player is another level entirely and doesn't belong anywhere near the game.

Unless it's Gary Neville?

Psybro
May 12, 2002

SteadfastMeat posted:

Pretty sure a game in the Conference was abandoned for floodlight failure recently and I'd imagine it's not uncommon far enough down the leagues that there's nobody at the ground who can actually fix them.

edit: here we are, League Two game in high winds abandoned due to dodgy fuse box this season

edit2: whilst poking around I found a Carling Cup game three seasons ago that was abandoned when a player collapsed. He was on Sunderland's books at the time and I remember rumour had it that Roy Keane made some comment about him not having enough of a heart for it to suffer an attack.

Psybro fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Jan 18, 2011

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

paul trevillion draws wayne rooney and is mental

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/video/2010/jun/11/paul-trevillion-wayne-rooney

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Lyric Proof Vest posted:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/video/2010/jun/11/paul-trevillion-wayne-rooney

the baby faced dog of war - not a potato

e: Paul Trevillion is literally insane.

sebzilla fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Jan 18, 2011

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

He's got perfect lips

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Lyric Proof Vest posted:

that guy is national treasure

Wikipedia posted:

Trevillion's career away from his art has been rich and, at times, bizarre. He worked as a stand-up comedian, supporting the likes of Norman Wisdom and Bob Monkhouse, had a record deal, was crowned world speed-kissing champion, and invented a split-handed golf putting technique.[1] He was also the inspiration behind an attempt to boost Leeds United's image in the 1970s. Hired by Don Revie in 1972, his ideas included wearing numbered sock tags (which were subsequently thrown into the crowd as souvenirs) and synchronised warm-ups

TimberJoe
Oct 24, 2010

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

They're having a laugh, all of those are totally absurd.

However...

1: Thassa goal, he didn't touch the ball first.
2: gently caress knows?
3: Tell them to start playing or threaten to abondon the match.

8raz
Jun 22, 2007

He's Scouse, He's Sound.

euroboy posted:

They're having a laugh, all of those are totally absurd.

However...

1: Thassa goal, he didn't touch the ball first.
2: gently caress knows?
3: Tell them to start playing or threaten to abondon the match.
This one's actually from 2 weeks ago.

1) It's a clever attempt to save face, but it's not a goal. A penalty involves one movement to kick the ball forward: he has effectively taken two run-ups to the same kick. Caution (yellow card) the taker for unsporting behaviour, and order a retake. You should have avoided this situation by blowing your whistle the moment he fell over.

2) Technically, it's a dropped ball – that's what the law states if the referee isn't sure. But in practice most referees wouldn't want to appear so indecisive: it's sensible to make a decision one way or the other, and in this case the least controversial option is to give the throw.

3) On paper, you should intervene – but clearly this is a sensitive situation. Although they have delayed the start, out of respect to the tradition you should allow the Haka to be completed. But make it clear that you will report the matter to the competition: this should have been pre-agreed, with time allowed for the Haka so that the match would not have been delayed.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
1. Not a goal. You can't completely stop in a run up to a penalty.
2. [Will think about later]
3. Tell them to get playing, give the captain a yellow card for dissent if he refuses.

TimberJoe
Oct 24, 2010

8raz posted:

1) It's a clever attempt to save face, but it's not a goal. A penalty involves one movement to kick the ball forward: he has effectively taken two run-ups to the same kick. Caution (yellow card) the taker for unsporting behaviour, and order a retake. You should have avoided this situation by blowing your whistle the moment he fell over.

2) Technically, it's a dropped ball – that's what the law states if the referee isn't sure. But in practice most referees wouldn't want to appear so indecisive: it's sensible to make a decision one way or the other, and in this case the least controversial option is to give the throw.

3) On paper, you should intervene – but clearly this is a sensitive situation. Although they have delayed the start, out of respect to the tradition you should allow the Haka to be completed. But make it clear that you will report the matter to the competition: this should have been pre-agreed, with time allowed for the Haka so that the match would not have been delayed.

yeah thanks I should have put those in

Psybro
May 12, 2002
1) Allow it unless you suspect the taker of deliberately tricking the keeper, in which case book him and have it retaken.

2) I would imagine that, as the ball is now behind the goal line, it's a corner. I don't think the corner flag can be deemed as a foreign object as it's a standard part of the equipment.

3) If they are all in their own half, let the other side kick off. If the Maoris are kicking off, explain to their captain that you will be booking them all one by one if they don't get on with it, and in future they just need to let you know and they can come out a minute earlier and do it.

Mr Pepper
Nov 29, 2006

:jiggled:Top Class:jiggled:
1: Have to retake the kick. You can't stop in your run up to the ball.

2: Give a throw in

3: Book the captain for delaying the start.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

3) There's an alternative of course. Wait for them to finish. Work out how long it took, then give the other team exactly that long to do whatever the gently caress they like back

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

1) Caution the player for unsporting behaviour, and have the penalty retaken.

2) Do a drop in.

3) Caution the team, remind them that they had more than enough time for their dance prior to kick-off.

Borogrove
Apr 12, 2008

sebzilla posted:

the baby faced dog of war - not a potato

e: Paul Trevillion is literally insane.

"when I think of Wayne Rooney, this is what goes through my head."

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
My answer to 3 would be to let them dance for as long as they loving like and tell Clive Tyldesley to shut up because the Haka owns

General Dire
Apr 24, 2008

Number one certainly seems like something Eto'o would do

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Punch The Ref In The Face

Psybro
May 12, 2002
1) Giant Howard Webb should award a penalty and send off the striker for violent conduct, then book any of the manifest torrent of manchildren about to descend on him for dissent.

2) Allow the goal, book the man.

3) Send him off, make the other team select a man who won't be taking one on their side, continue.

edit: upon reading the laws about no. 3 the opposition side can carry on with all 11 players taking pens as the evening up only need take place prior to the shootout starting. Interestingly, if all players have taken a kick, the same order doesn't need to be followed second time round, but this is how I've seen it done on Pro Evo, Football Manager and any occasions IRL where it's actually happened (England v Holland at Euro U21 2007 springs to mind)

further edit: upon review, Holland did change their order, England didn't. Typical.

Psybro fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Jan 20, 2011

tongster
Jan 18, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

1) Pretty sure you gotta kick it forward. No goal, yellow card.
2) Drop ball.
3) lmao maoris playing football

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story

Luigi Thirty posted:

Punch The Ref In The Face

2 is surely a goal since celebrating a goal by taking off your shirt is an offence under the LOAF. Since the goal hasn't occured yet, he can do what he wants until the ball crosses the line I guess?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Ravel posted:

2 is surely a goal since celebrating a goal by taking off your shirt is an offence under the LOAF. Since the goal hasn't occured yet, he can do what he wants until the ball crosses the line I guess?

Hackett says it's unsporting behavior any time he takes it off. It's disallowed, he gets a yellow, and it's an indirect free kick from where he took his shirt off. Okay then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwagga
Jun 11, 2002

I am small

Luigi Thirty posted:

Hackett says it's unsporting behavior any time he takes it off. It's disallowed, he gets a yellow, and it's an indirect free kick from where he took his shirt off. Okay then.

No ref would have the balls to do this on the pitch.

• Locked thread