Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

stickyfngrdboy posted:

none of this makes sense lad. Which team had the throw? Which team was the player going off playing for?What offence was committed that made the liner blow his whistle? Why the hell has a liner got a whistle?! Why are the subs coming and going while play is ongoing?! WHO IS IN CHARGE HERE FFS?!!?

In US High School soccer, which is governed by NFHS, there is a system that could be used called the double dual. It involves three referees, but instead of ARs with flags they have whistles and can give cards iirc.

I don't feel like digging out my NFHS high school and/or finding a scanner, so have a youtube video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJIvpYx7rEo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ayb
Sep 12, 2003
Kills Drifters for erections

chaoslord posted:

In US High School soccer, which is governed by NFHS, there is a system that could be used called the double dual. It involves three referees, but instead of ARs with flags they have whistles and can give cards iirc.

I don't feel like digging out my NFHS high school and/or finding a scanner, so have a youtube video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJIvpYx7rEo

I've never seen the 3 whistle system used. Just dual system when we can't get anough refs

Captain Trips
May 23, 2013
The sudden reminder that I have no fucking clue what I'm talking about
MLS-only fan here, what the hell is Hawkeye?

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Captain Trips posted:

Goal line technology that confirms that the ball has crossed the line. You've probably seen hawkeye at tennis or something idk. Same thing.

Captain Trips
May 23, 2013

stickyfngrdboy posted:

Goal line technology that confirms that the ball has crossed the line. You've probably seen hawkeye at tennis or something idk. Same thing.

The idea of an American watching tennis on TV is so hilarious to me that I can't even form a proper response.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Captain Trips posted:

The idea of an American watching tennis on TV is so hilarious to me that I can't even form a proper response.

Maybe just say 'I haven't seen it on the tennis, no', idk what more to tell you

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)

Captain Trips posted:

Hawkeye is the name of the AI system that monitors all British people for anti social behaviour. You might have seen it on the tennis.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
If Americans haven't seen it on the tennis, perhaps they're familiar with its use in cricket?

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

Tsaedje posted:

If Americans haven't seen it on the tennis, perhaps they're familiar with its use in cricket?

Or Snooker.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Captain Trips posted:

Hi, what do you think about Jozy Altidore?

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

Captain Trips posted:

Tennis is actually quite popular on tv in the states, so you're either a hermit or a foreign idiot.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Seltzer posted:

Tennis is actually quite popular on tv in the states, so you're either a hermit or a foreign idiot.

Read the Big Red Text and walk away.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Nostradingus posted:

Read the Big Red Text and walk away.

I turned off avs ages ago so I don't have to see flashing .gifs and anime avatars. The one downside is it removes the red text too.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Captain Trips posted:

A bad superhero.

jazzyhattrick
Jul 1, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

vyelkin posted:

A bad superhero.

The Jozy of the Avengers. Iron Man may be able to fly and fire energy out of his hands, but Hawkeye has a great DZ SiBoT.

Captain Trips
May 23, 2013

oliwan posted:

Hi, what do you think about Jozy Altidore?

Not good enough for the EPL at all, probably just barely good enough for the USMNT.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

stickyfngrdboy posted:

none of this makes sense lad. Which team had the throw? Which team was the player going off playing for?What offence was committed that made the liner blow his whistle? Why the hell has a liner got a whistle?! Why are the subs coming and going while play is ongoing?! WHO IS IN CHARGE HERE FFS?!!?

I asked him the same question. Apparently, it's already been answered itt. It's the weirdest goddamn thing. I told him to steal the whistles next time.

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

Go go gadget Hackett!

quote:

1) Does the towel represent a danger to the keeper or other players? If not, and he really thinks it's a good idea, let him continue (after you have checked that there are no logos, slogans or images on the towel).

2) Years ago this technique was often used to run down the clock as assistants would flag immediately when the ball was played towards a player in an offside position. Now, though, they must wait until a player becomes active – and this striker is deliberately avoiding that by not trying to play the ball. So while these hoofs to an isolated striker might be annoying for the opposition, there is no offside offence, and therefore no time-wasting offence being committed. Play on.

3) A very good question. Always keep in mind that you are allowed to change your mind if play has not restarted. In this case, it is clear that there is a technical fault, so call both captains over to you. Explain to them what has happened, and that you were certain that the ball had crossed the line in the original incident. As such, tell them you are disallowing the second goal and awarding the original goal scored in the scramble.

ayb
Sep 12, 2003

Semprini posted:

Go go gadget Hackett!

Haha loving hell that third answer. You'd be out of the premier League so fast if you did that.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

"You're allowed to change your mind..."

Sure thing dude, there would be loving riots.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Ewar Woowar posted:

3. I guess you have to award the first goal and deal with a really angry team. Perhaps consult the linesman first in order to offload some blame.

:smug:

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents
If I was a PL ref I'd go talk to my linesman about the weather before making any slightly controversial call. It was all him guys, I swear.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

I still can't believe that's a real loving thing. I thought you weren't supposed to rely on the hawkeye technology and was supposed to use actual judgment.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Soulex posted:

I still can't believe that's a real loving thing. I thought you weren't supposed to rely on the hawkeye technology and was supposed to use actual judgment.

There was a question a while back that said something along the lines of 'you are certain the ball crosses the line for a goal, but hawkeye doesn't agree, do you give the goal?' and the answer was 'hawkeye has been tested and is 100% reliable, trust it'

ayb
Sep 12, 2003
I'd think just because the hawkeye doesn't work at one end doesn't mean it's broken on both ends

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
It also may have broken after the scramble, but before the obvious goal.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Before going "Well, its broken at this end therefore it must be broken at the other end", take the time while the game is stopped to go do a little test for yourself. Go throw (or kick if you really want to be a purist about the whole thing) the ball across the line at the first end and see if the GLT goes off. There's a chance you just saw it wrong because, seriously, how often as R are you going to be able to say definitively that the ball was 100% across the line with the ball also being put back into play immediately? If it really is broken at both ends, welp, that's a once in a lifetime situation and congratulations, you probably will not be working any games involving the team you are taking the goal awway from for a long while.

The Mash posted:

If I was a PL ref I'd go talk to my linesman about the weather before making any slightly controversial call. It was all him guys, I swear.

Did someting kinda like this once. Had a pretty competitve U19 State Cup game where I gave penalty with ~10 minutes left. Defenders howling that attacking player dove, blah blah blah. Fine, whatever, I'll go ask my AR. Trott over to him. "Got anything?" "No, my view was screened" "Okay. Nod your head a couple of times and point to <fouler>." Good times.

JGKing
Dec 26, 2012

What has happened to this company?!
My least favourite questions are the ones where you've ALREADY MADE A MISTAKE before the events of the question. Then Hackett says something like "well you SHOULD have seen this issue arising and dealt with it prior to restarting the match", which just makes me feel like a poo poo hypothetical referee before I've even been given a chance to do well. :(

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

When in doubt, just red card everyone and abandon the game.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Punch someone, red card yourself, leave the pitch and let everyone else sort it out.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents
Alternative Hackett route: Don't stop play, don't card anyone, literally don't do anything. Allow the game to devolve into a 22 man MMA event. Then make a really big note in your report.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008
"After the game, however, you discover that enterprising players on the bench have made off with your game-reporting forms. As the conditioning sets in and you find yourself unable to describe or explain the events of the game without them, what do you do?"

Captain Trips
May 23, 2013

Revenant Threshold posted:

"After the game, however, you discover that enterprising players on the bench have made off with your game-reporting forms. As the conditioning sets in and you find yourself unable to describe or explain the events of the game without them, what do you do?"

Release the dead-man switch on the small-scale thermonuclear device you've been carrying under your jersey all day.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

No place for this last question in the modern game.

Grimble
Jul 7, 2002

He will build a castle with garden on an island called Cheshire, and he is permitted to breed.
1. Yellow card, call the handball, but there's no dogso.

2. Probably a free-kick

3. Give them both yellows, kiss striker on the cheek.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Grimble posted:

1. Yellow card, call the handball, but there's no dogso.

2. Probably a free-kick

3. Give them both yellows, kiss striker on the cheek.

Agree with this cept No 2. Since the action carries into the box, its a penalty even if it started outside the box

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?
1) Yellow Card. The striker hadn't become active so no offside, but if he had received the ball he would have so no DOGSO.
2) Free Kick. The handball offense was committed when the hand touched the ball. If I catch it and run the length of the pitch, the offense is where I catch it.
3) Red card the striker for a clash of heads. Red card the Defender for pushing with excessive force causing the striker to fall over. Tell them to go shower off together then ask if you can be the meat in their sandwich later.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Is this still a feature?

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ayb
Sep 12, 2003

Seltzer posted:

Is this still a feature?

Still a thing. Spray foam is opening up all sorts of new worlds of questions

1. Three peeps of the whistle isn't required. Game is over as soon as you blow it. Not sure why you'd blow for the end when the
ball is in the air in the box
2. In the tunnel before the game, not sure if you actually show a card or not
3. Too bad, goal stands

• Locked thread