Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
There aren't any ones that people go crazy for. Your best bet is the cheapest kind you can works for everyone so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

deimos posted:

Nah, what are you talking about, electronics love being at oven temperature all the time.

The combi oven in my dreams does.

e: I don't bake much, so I just care that my oven can do low and slow or hot and fast. As long as 225F and 450F are accurate, that's all that matters.

I would pay so much to have my oven be able to hit 600F :(

Chef De Cuisinart fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Oct 13, 2015

Sour Blossom
Apr 21, 2005
L O L 6 6

Mr. Wookums posted:

They're very expensive. Grab a propane tank alternative?

Can't have propane(or charcoal) on my balcony. I'm on the seventh floor of an apartment building in the middle of a wind tunnel created by other tall apartment buildings. Oh well!

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

guys I know you all hate unitaskers and I found an alternative use for a gas grill - if you ever need vinyl siding on your home warped, keep your grill three feet away from it and through normal use it will twist the siding into the most beautiful shapes, for a little bit of that "goodbye security deposit" kick!!

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

My baking stone cracked yesterday and I was thinking of moving to a baking steel or slab of granite. I don't know much about using granite except that I saw it mentioned in the bread thread. I can probably get a piece of granite for free, how well does it work versus a baking stone or baking steel? If the granite isn't a good choice, what is the go-to baking steel?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

taqueso posted:

My baking stone cracked yesterday and I was thinking of moving to a baking steel or slab of granite. I don't know much about using granite except that I saw it mentioned in the bread thread. I can probably get a piece of granite for free, how well does it work versus a baking stone or baking steel? If the granite isn't a good choice, what is the go-to baking steel?

This is the baking steel I got (the ⅜ of an inch one) and really there's no comparison with a stone. My pizzas cook in half the time as they did with the stone. The comparisons look like this is the cheapest steel of this thickness.

It's heavy as poo poo though (listed at 24 pounds). It comes seasoned but it was a lovely seasoning so I left it in the oven through a clean cycle, then wiped it down with crisco and put it in a 400 degree oven

http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LBKWSGC

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.
Any recommendations for a home brûlée torch?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Brocktoon posted:

Any recommendations for a home brûlée torch?

Bernz-o-matic TS4000 (TS8000 is you think you might get a Searzall down the road).

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Here is a link to a "private sale" for OG Thermapens for $69, brand new. It ends tomorrow so if you're gonna get one, get one now.

novamute
Jul 5, 2006

o o o

taqueso posted:

Steel is gently caress off heavy but worth it to never deal with a cracked stone again in my opinion. I'd just get the cheapest steel you can find that is the dimensions you want. They're easy to scour and season yourself.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Anyone know a servicable multicooker around 100-150$?

I have a glass lid ricecooker I need to replace because it spurts water all over the place and figured I might as well get a multicooker so I can slow cook and steam in it.
Requirements:
-Rice cooking
-Slow cooking
-Temperature manually selectable (it seem 5 degree steps is standard)
-Steaming

Amazon.de has several on offer but few have (trustworthy) reviews

Also: if you can set the temperature, could you abuse it for hacked sous vide if you fill it with water?

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

Hopper posted:

Anyone know a servicable multicooker around 100-150$?

I have a glass lid ricecooker I need to replace because it spurts water all over the place and figured I might as well get a multicooker so I can slow cook and steam in it.
Requirements:
-Rice cooking
-Slow cooking
-Temperature manually selectable (it seem 5 degree steps is standard)
-Steaming

Amazon.de has several on offer but few have (trustworthy) reviews

Also: if you can set the temperature, could you abuse it for hacked sous vide if you fill it with water?

Zojirushi.

e: nm, missed the temperature selection requirement

deimos fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Oct 14, 2015

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013
ASK:lol: ME:lol: ABOUT:lol: MY :lol:TINY :lol:DICK

also my opinion on :females:
:haw::flaccid: :haw: :flaccid: :haw: :flaccid::haw:

deimos posted:

Zojirushi.

e: nm, missed the temperature selection requirement

Zoji is king the of the mountain when it comes to rice cookers. But alas they don't have selectable temp.

Not an expert but: I'd imagine these things are not for sous vide, which benefits from circulation and near-perfect temperature control, whereas I'd think a lot of cooker units tend to go in cycles and not circulate. Not a good fit.

Then again I think sous vide is a bit silly.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
You ain't never soused your viddle then

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Had a bunch of friends over for dinner the other week and threw like 5 enormous costco steaks in the sous vide about 90 minute before everybody was supposed to arrive. Preheated a couple cast iron skillets and had perfectly medium rare steaks ready for everybody in under 10 minutes when it was time to eat. Sous vide rules at certain things.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
I am not really looking to do sous vide in it, I just figured I might ask if it was possible.
I want to use it for rice, steaming and slow cooking mainly, the latter being why I want adjustable temps.

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013
ASK:lol: ME:lol: ABOUT:lol: MY :lol:TINY :lol:DICK

also my opinion on :females:
:haw::flaccid: :haw: :flaccid: :haw: :flaccid::haw:

Inspector 34 posted:

Had a bunch of friends over for dinner the other week and threw like 5 enormous costco steaks

See I don't do that.

Hopper posted:

I am not really looking to do sous vide in it, I just figured I might ask if it was possible.
I want to use it for rice, steaming and slow cooking mainly, the latter being why I want adjustable temps.

You theoretically can. But most (reasonably cheap) slow cookers don't hold temperature well enough. Unless I missed some revolution in electronics.

Foam Monkey
Jun 4, 2007
Lurkzilla
Grimey Drawer

The Midniter posted:

Here is a link to a "private sale" for OG Thermapens for $69, brand new. It ends tomorrow so if you're gonna get one, get one now.

Just wanted to say thank you for pointing out that sale. I finally caved and got one on the way.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
They really are handy. I never owned a kitchen thermometer at all until I got a Thermapen as a gift last year, and I find all kinds of uses for it.

Foam Monkey
Jun 4, 2007
Lurkzilla
Grimey Drawer
The price made me cringe pretty bad when I looked them up a long time ago, but I'm cooking more, and I figured that having a thermometer that comes so highly recommended couldn't hurt.

Plus maybe now I can actually get my bread to the right temperature without having to pray my current one feels like working today.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

My dad has gotten into cooking recently but he's 76 so chopping foods is hard for him what with the arthritis in his hands, is there some kind of appliance I can buy him that would chop for him?

I'm also going to buy him a new blender for Christmas. :) Thanks for the recs in the OP!

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

I just bought a smoker and am wondering what digital meat thermometers people use. Could I please get some recommendations?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Decrepus posted:

I just bought a smoker and am wondering what digital meat thermometers people use. Could I please get some recommendations?

I just got this today. Came highly recommended. Wireless remote so I can see temps and get alarms inside the house. Has two probes, one for meat and one for the smoker (or two meats or two smokers). Has an alarm for the meat target temp and hi and low alarms if you're using it for the smoker temp.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FOCR4UI/

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

The Lobster posted:

My dad has gotten into cooking recently but he's 76 so chopping foods is hard for him what with the arthritis in his hands, is there some kind of appliance I can buy him that would chop for him?

I'm also going to buy him a new blender for Christmas. :) Thanks for the recs in the OP!

A food processor! Recommendations on that depend on budget. I mean a slapchop is fine if you want to spend $10 but beyond that there's a whole mess of toys that he might like.This is a good buy for $200 http://amzn.com/B0000645TW

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Croatoan posted:

A food processor! Recommendations on that depend on budget. I mean a slapchop is fine if you want to spend $10 but beyond that there's a whole mess of toys that he might like.This is a good buy for $200 http://amzn.com/B0000645TW

Magimix is a good option if you want to go high end, but the Cuisinart is great too. Magimix uses Robot Coupe hardware and Sabatier blades, has a ton of attachments, and a great warranty. However, they are more expensive.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I just got this today. Came highly recommended. Wireless remote so I can see temps and get alarms inside the house. Has two probes, one for meat and one for the smoker (or two meats or two smokers). Has an alarm for the meat target temp and hi and low alarms if you're using it for the smoker temp.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FOCR4UI/

Thanks, this looks good. I just ordered one.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Croatoan posted:

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Magimix is a good option if you want to go high end, but the Cuisinart is great too. Magimix uses Robot Coupe hardware and Sabatier blades, has a ton of attachments, and a great warranty. However, they are more expensive.

Thanks guys!

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

The quality of Cuisinarts has gone done, though... the one I bought 5 years ago isn't nearly as well-built as the much older models that I borrowed before I bought my own.

The drat chopping blade came apart on me last week. It was kinda scary, and the replacement is going to cost $27. :argh:

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Squashy Nipples posted:

The quality of Cuisinarts has gone done, though... the one I bought 5 years ago isn't nearly as well-built as the much older models that I borrowed before I bought my own.

The drat chopping blade came apart on me last week. It was kinda scary, and the replacement is going to cost $27. :argh:

The slap chop is only $10!

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Croatoan posted:

The slap chop is only $10!

But you can only make like two biscuits at a time with it!

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

I found a Calphalon stainless steel pan for fairly cheap at a Ross, but it has no tag to identify it or anything. It's not an encapsulated base, at least, but I don't know if it's tri-ply or just plain SS. There were a couple of numbers on the bottom, 1390, which seems to just mean that it's an omelet pan, and 0512515, which my google-fu failed me on. Can anyone help?

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Zack Ater posted:

I found a Calphalon stainless steel pan for fairly cheap at a Ross, but it has no tag to identify it or anything. It's not an encapsulated base, at least, but I don't know if it's tri-ply or just plain SS. There were a couple of numbers on the bottom, 1390, which seems to just mean that it's an omelet pan, and 0512515, which my google-fu failed me on. Can anyone help?

From a quick Google search, it looks like the classic (ie stainless) line has two rivets per handle, and the tri ply line uses three. I don't know if that's universal, but seems to be a differentiation between the two.

Edit: never mind, it also depends on pan size. I don't think that's a way to tell.

SymmetryrtemmyS fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Oct 22, 2015

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Zack Ater posted:

It's a tri-ply. Calphalon doesn't make plain steel pans, it's either disc bottoms at their bottom line or multi-clad for everything else. In fact, it's almost impossible to find a plain metal pan from any company unless you go to a restaurant store. Everything for consumers is either disc bottom, non-stick, or multi-clad

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Oct 22, 2015

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

Oh, I didn't realize that. Thanks! Seems like a good buy for $21, I'll run back over and get it. Now I just need to find some good pots.

Sportman
May 12, 2003

PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS!!!
Fun Shoe

The Lobster posted:

I bought one of these mini food processors for my mom who was complaining that it takes her like 20 min to chop up an onion. She absolutely loves it, and cooks a lot more often because of how easy it is. Ive also used it to make things like hummus when at her house. Awesome little <$40 gadget.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Sportman posted:

I bought one of these mini food processors for my mom who was complaining that it takes her like 20 min to chop up an onion. She absolutely loves it, and cooks a lot more often because of how easy it is. Ive also used it to make things like hummus when at her house. Awesome little <$40 gadget.

Thank you! That's a good recommendation and really affordable too.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
If you're going to do prep with the regular chopping blade you've gotta be careful you don't, say, accidentally puree an onion or whatever. It's easy to overdo it if you're not careful.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

guppy posted:

If you're going to do prep with the regular chopping blade you've gotta be careful you don't, say, accidentally puree an onion or whatever. It's easy to overdo it if you're not careful.

Yeah all the reviews are saying to pulse carefully.

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007

So I caved and ordered one of the new Thermapens the day they were announced in September (the one on top in the photo). Got a dud they replaced right away, and I've had plenty of time to try it out. This is a huge improvement over the splash-proof model. The backlight is awesome and can be activated at any time by holding your thumb over the little sensor window. The rotating display may or may not be a benefit to you, but you can set it to 90 degrees, 180 degrees, or lock it in one particular orientation with the menu system if desired. The big feature is the motion activated sleep mode. You can leave it open the whole time you're cooking, and when you set it down it goes to sleep, then turns on the moment you pick it up again. No more opening and closing or having it shut off at an inopportune time.

Other new features are AAA batteries, it's waterproof rather than splash-resistant, and a menu system you navigate with buttons inside the battery compartment rather than dip switches. It's a bit heavier than the splash-proof model. The power switch is also set to shut it off right when the probe meets the body rather than at a significant angle like the previous models, so you have to be careful to press near the base as you close it to ensure it is shut off properly. For a few days after it arrived I kept having it turn on when I opened the drawer because other people weren't closing it properly.

I'm really happy with this version and consider it a major improvement.

Bob_McBob fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Oct 23, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Bob_McBob posted:

So I caved and ordered one of the new Thermapens the day they were announced in September (the one on top in the photo). Got a dud they replaced right away, and I've had plenty of time to try it out. This is a huge improvement over the splash-proof model. The backlight is awesome and can be activated at any time by holding your thumb over the little sensor window. The rotating display may or may not be a benefit to you, but you can set it to 90 degrees, 180 degrees, or lock it in one particular orientation with the menu system if desired. The big feature is the motion activated sleep mode. You can leave it open the whole time you're cooking, and when you set it down it goes to sleep, then turns on the moment you pick it up again. No more opening and closing or having it shut off at an inopportune time.

Other new features are AAA batteries, it's waterproof rather than splash-resistant, and a menu system you navigate with buttons inside the battery compartment rather than dip switches. It's a bit heavier than the splash-proof model. The power switch is also set to shut it off right when the probe meets the body rather than at a significant angle like the previous models, so you have to be careful to press near the base as you close it to ensure it is shut off properly. For a few days after it arrived I kept having it turn on when I opened the drawer because other people weren't closing it properly.

I'm really happy with this version and consider it a major improvement.

awesome, I've been considering getting one, thanks for the review. my old mk1 is busted as gently caress.

• Locked thread