Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Bob_McBob posted:

So I caved and ordered one of the new Thermapens the day they were announced in September (the one on top in the photo). Got a dud they replaced right away, and I've had plenty of time to try it out. This is a huge improvement over the splash-proof model. The backlight is awesome and can be activated at any time by holding your thumb over the little sensor window. The rotating display may or may not be a benefit to you, but you can set it to 90 degrees, 180 degrees, or lock it in one particular orientation with the menu system if desired. The big feature is the motion activated sleep mode. You can leave it open the whole time you're cooking, and when you set it down it goes to sleep, then turns on the moment you pick it up again. No more opening and closing or having it shut off at an inopportune time.

Other new features are AAA batteries, it's waterproof rather than splash-resistant, and a menu system you navigate with buttons inside the battery compartment rather than dip switches. It's a bit heavier than the splash-proof model. The power switch is also set to shut it off right when the probe meets the body rather than at a significant angle like the previous models, so you have to be careful to press near the base as you close it to ensure it is shut off properly. For a few days after it arrived I kept having it turn on when I opened the drawer because other people weren't closing it properly.

I'm really happy with this version and consider it a major improvement.

nooooooooo don't tell me this I don't want to spend a benjamin on incremental improvements to my loving thermometer I have no willpower

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Do like the iPhone upgrade plan and just buy every other release. I'm sure a year from now they'll have one with a touch screen and the year after that it will have Siri

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007
To follow up, I should also mention they've solved the only real issue I had when I upgraded to the splash-proof Thermapen a few years ago. The LCD they used for the splash-proof model has a poor viewing angle; from the top the contrast is very low, and from the bottom all the digits are visible at once. The new one has better contrast in general and is perfectly visible from all angles like the original Thermapan. Very happy with that change.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
If you don't want to drop the cash on a ThermoWorks, LavaTools makes a great alternative for only 25bux. Just wish they had a clip to fit into a shoulder pocket. I've had mine about 2 years now, no complaints, and it sees a lot of abuse at work. It's even been in the fryer once!

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Recommendations on a solid kitchen scale? I don't care about aesthetics...I just want one that's going to stay precise under regular to heavy use (mostly for baking). My Woot special crapped out recently, and it wasn't even that good to begin with.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

The Midniter posted:

Recommendations on a solid kitchen scale? I don't care about aesthetics...I just want one that's going to stay precise under regular to heavy use (mostly for baking). My Woot special crapped out recently, and it wasn't even that good to begin with.

Go to your local drug paraphernalia store - they've got scales galore that can be calibrated and survive a beating.

Massive
Apr 8, 2004

The Midniter posted:

I love my Oxo: http://www.amazon.com/OXO-Grips-Stainless-Pull-Out-Display/dp/B000WJMTNA

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

The Midniter posted:

Going strong for a year and a half, able to be calibrated, illuminated, splash shield, removable tray for cleaning, grams/ounces/pounds and ounces/kilograms, and it'll even do baker's math if you bake bread:

The one true kitchen scale

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

unknown posted:

Go to your local drug paraphernalia store - they've got scales galore that can be calibrated and survive a beating.

A drug scale usually isn't large enough capacity to be used as a baking scale. And a baking scale usually isn't high enough resolution to use for drugs. I have this one but it cost about 1/4 that much when I got it. My complaint with it is that the display is too close so it is hard to see when I put a big bowl on the scale.

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Going strong for a year and a half, able to be calibrated, illuminated, splash shield, removable tray for cleaning, grams/ounces/pounds and ounces/kilograms, and it'll even do baker's math if you bake bread:

This one looks like a real solid choice.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

taqueso posted:

A drug scale usually isn't large enough capacity to be used as a baking scale. And a baking scale usually isn't high enough resolution to use for drugs.

You're not thinking distribution sized ones! :drugnerd:

The majority a store has are usually smaller <1kg size ones. A good store will have scales that can do up to 10kg with 0.1g accuracy (that'll cost you though - so 1g accuracy at that level is sufficient).

Either way, the scale should be able to be recalibrated easily.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Thanks to everyone who had suggestions but this one right here is the winner. I'm excited.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

The Midniter posted:

Thanks to everyone who had suggestions but this one right here is the winner. I'm excited.

It's a little larger (mainly taller) than you're imagining, but I use mine day in day out for shipping packages, cooking everything, weighing household objects, and basically anything else that a scale can be used for, and it's built like a tank. You're going to be happy with it.

logical fallacy
Mar 16, 2001

Dynamic Symmetry
I love the fact that that scale does percentages, so for baking or any of the "modernist" recipes you don't really have to worry about scaling. Just hit the first item (usually flour in baking) or whatever's your 100%, and weigh the rest of the ingredients as percentages.

For example, if you had a vinaigrette recipe in percentages/weight ratios you could make 6 oz or 6 quarts without having to do any math.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Hey guys sometime in the next week I think I'm going to make a new product thread, since this one hasn't had the FAQ refreshed in a long time and several prices have changed and new products have come out.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

logical fallacy posted:

I love the fact that that scale does percentages, so for baking or any of the "modernist" recipes you don't really have to worry about scaling. Just hit the first item (usually flour in baking) or whatever's your 100%, and weigh the rest of the ingredients as percentages.

For example, if you had a vinaigrette recipe in percentages/weight ratios you could make 6 oz or 6 quarts without having to do any math.

Thank you for this, I am a big dumb idiot and could not understand what this feature did until I read this. I am not joking about this.

Glockamole
Feb 8, 2008
Before this thread dies, are there any suggestions on an electric kettle where I can dial in the temperature of my choice for tea/coffee/possibly shaving lather? Also, in the face of two families gathering for Thanksgiving, an induction burner?

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Glockamole posted:

Before this thread dies, are there any suggestions on an electric kettle where I can dial in the temperature of my choice for tea/coffee/possibly shaving lather? Also, in the face of two families gathering for Thanksgiving, an induction burner?

I have this, and it has been rock solid for at least the last 3 years. I'm also picky.

http://www.aroma-housewares.com/kitchen/appliances/AWK-290SBD.html?id=QCUKI6Vh

Pen Express
Sep 23, 2009
Recommendation for a blender, around 50 or so? It'll mostly be used for shakes so it'll have to crush ice and frozen fruit decently enough, but I know at that price point I can only expect so much

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
I'm looking at waffle makers/panini presses for my wife's birthday. Looking to spend around 50-150 on the former or both.

Are any of the combination appliances worth it, or should I stick with a stand alone waffle maker? What should I be looking for? Is there a go-to model that everyone loves?

Thanks!

Sportman
May 12, 2003

PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS!!!
Fun Shoe

Glockamole posted:

I have this one and I really like it.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Glockamole posted:

Duxtop makes lovely induction burners that last a long time.

good jovi
Dec 11, 2000

'm pro-dickgirl, and I VOTE!

Solkanar512 posted:

I'm looking at waffle makers/panini presses for my wife's birthday. Looking to spend around 50-150 on the former or both.

Are any of the combination appliances worth it, or should I stick with a stand alone waffle maker? What should I be looking for? Is there a go-to model that everyone loves?

Thanks!

Get a stovetop waffle maker. I know that doesn't address the panini issue at all, but they're just so much easier to use and store than countertop models.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Solkanar512 posted:

Thanks!
I have what appears to be literally the cheapest one on amazon, $25 and I got it from a neighbor for $10 when they moved, I use it so much it just sits on the counter by the ricecooker because i'm tired of hauling it out.

http://www.amazon.com/Hamilton-Beach-25462Z-Gourmet-Sandwich/dp/B00E134JJ0

It has no features, nor does it need any. You plug it in. It has two lights on the top. Red = charging up, Green = optimal temperature. The temp is just hot enough to melt cheese and toast bread. It has a non-stick coating. Use a non-stick spatula or your hands to place/remove the food. Wipe it down with a damp cloth/paper towel while still warm/hot.

Maybe eventually it will break but then i'll just buy the same one again. there are some fancy ones and ones that are double the price but the temp is perfect for what I do with it so I don't really need it.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Oct 29, 2015

ScooterMcTiny
Apr 7, 2004

Speaking of Thermapens... http://www.seriouseats.com/2015/10/60-hour-thermapen-deal.html

$69 for the next 2 and a half days

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
So this isn't the newest version but that shouldn't matter for the core function, right?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

AnonSpore posted:

So this isn't the newest version but that shouldn't matter for the core function, right?

Correct. If you've been holding off due to price but can afford it at the sale price, DO IT.

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007
I feel pretty strongly that the motion activated sleep and backlight are worth the extra $30, but I'd absolutely take a splash-proof Thermapen over no Thermapen. I use mine every day.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

All-Clads got a factory second sale running from the 9th to the 11th.

http://www.homeandcooksales.com/

code: ACVIP15

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

.Z. posted:

All-Clads got a factory second sale running from the 9th to the 11th.

http://www.homeandcooksales.com/

code: ACVIP15

New thread is here:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3749739

Crimpanzee
Jan 11, 2011
The wife wants to make pasta but scoffed at the thrift store hand roller which is missing the handle. Any suggestions on a kitchenaid attachment? I estimate it will be used 4 times a year, optimistically.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Tell her the hand operated roller is much cheaper and they're exactly the same except that one is operated by hand and the other is done with a machine.

Also if you like pasta at all you're gonna be using that sucker way more than 4 times a year

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Guys seriously

New thread is here:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/sh...hreadid=3749739

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

I still can't tell if you just suck at this

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I still can't tell if you just suck at this

really? after all these years?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

I'm gay.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
I'm looking to get my girlfriend a new vegetable slicer. She wants to be able to slice things really thin and while its pretty easy to find decent ones on amazon I want to get her the best slicer money can buy. I realize this is probably a stupid question but can anyone recommend a good one?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Knifegrab posted:

I'm looking to get my girlfriend a new vegetable slicer. She wants to be able to slice things really thin and while its pretty easy to find decent ones on amazon I want to get her the best slicer money can buy. I realize this is probably a stupid question but can anyone recommend a good one?

No, but I can recommend a good thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/sh...hreadid=3749739

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

Knifegrab posted:

The Industry Standard

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

It'd probably be helpful if someone actually gave a full link.

Here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Where is the coffee thread for grinders and brewers? And to be told I am bad at coffee.

• Locked thread