Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
blacquethoven
Nov 29, 2003
they're not meant to be a culinary product, but i use the ped egg quite a bit at work for zesting citrus

http://www.amazon.com/PedEgg-Replacement-Blades-Emery-Pads/dp/B0013V2U1C/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1295390154&sr=8-2

a lot faster to use and cheaper than a microplane/zester, and you almost never get any pith. also all the zest goes into the little holding spot in the back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Hahahah that's gross.

NosmoKing
Nov 12, 2004

I have a rifle and a frying pan and I know how to use them
If you don't have a silicone (or several) basting brush, get the hell out there and get one. They beat bristle brushes harder than I beat my :dong: .

Ever use a fork to whisk a small amount stuff in a small bowl? A little vinaigrette, some marinade, an egg, etc?? Get a mini-whisk. I got a set of 3 from my mom for xmas a few years ago and thought "pfff, I'll never use this useless poo poo". Boy was I wrong. I used the cheap-rear end wrapped wire handle set that she got me for a few months and liked it so much that I bought a decently built one from a restaurant supply house I frequent for work.

About as big as a dinner fork, but much better as a whisk.

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007

NosmoKing posted:

If you don't have a silicone (or several) basting brush, get the hell out there and get one. They beat bristle brushes harder than I beat my :dong: .

Seriously, silicone brushes are so much better. Easy to keep clean, no worries about burning or losing bristles. Oxo's silicone brushes are awesome. They have a part inside that holds a lot more liquid than normal (my only complaint with the normal ones).

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
I just got one of those silicone brushes today (used it on my pretzels) and I third or fourth them; it totally rocks.

Allahu Snackbar
Apr 16, 2003

I came all the way from Taipei today, now Bangkok's pissin' rain and I'm goin' blind again.
Anybody got a recommendation on a good steamer? I'm trying to make radish cakes, but pretty much anything like dumplings, bao, bulk veggies are fair game. The little add-on for my rice cooker is good for broccoli and rice, but not much else.

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007

LoungieMu posted:

Anybody got a recommendation on a good steamer?

CI likes this inexpensive model. They also like the similar-but-more-expensive Oxo version, and traditional Chinese bamboo steamers.

OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

The X-COM project did not deliver the universe's ultimate cup of coffee. You have failed to save the Earth.

I've been really impressed with silicone coated turners. The interior is metal which gives it good strength and rigidity, while the exterior is silicone so you don't scratch up non-stick pans. They also don't seem to bend/melt/get gross over time like nylon ones do.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

LoungieMu posted:

Anybody got a recommendation on a good steamer? I'm trying to make radish cakes, but pretty much anything like dumplings, bao, bulk veggies are fair game. The little add-on for my rice cooker is good for broccoli and rice, but not much else.

I've been using bamboo steamers for a long, long time. I used to convince myself that my plastic combination rice cooker / vegetable steamer was better, but it just can't hold as much and over steams stuff, and everything gets covered with condensation. bamboo absorbs moisture / vents it out, so you don't get condensate dripping on your dishes/dumplings/whatever. also they're easily expandable, and I think throwing a wok and a couple cups of water over my highest burner gets steaming just as fast as I could get all the parts to my plastic steamer out and plug it in and etc, etc.

edit - oh, re: above post with recommendation for stainless steamer - that's fine for like potatoes and lobster and vegetables and stuff, but please don't try to do dumplings or cakes or ribs with one, it'd just be a trainwreck.

mindphlux fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Jan 19, 2011

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

LoungieMu posted:

Seconding the need for bamboo steamer. I know Pearl River has very decent prices on the 12" models.

30 Goddamned Dicks
Sep 8, 2010

I will leave you to flounder in your cesspool of primeval soup, you sad, lonely, little cowards.
Fun Shoe
The Cuisinart Mini Prep Plus

I love this thing. 90% of its use comes from chopping garlic (I hate chopping garlic with a knife). Gets perfect mince every time, without turning it into a paste. I also use it to chop up onions for pico, chop up carrots for meatloaf, grind up croutons for breadcrumbs... it makes prep work so much faster!

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.

Bob_McBob posted:

Seriously, silicone brushes are so much better. Easy to keep clean, no worries about burning or losing bristles. Oxo's silicone brushes are awesome. They have a part inside that holds a lot more liquid than normal (my only complaint with the normal ones).

I have this. I think the "holds more sauce" part is a bullshit gimmick but silicone brushes are AWESOME. Last forever, easy cleaning.

Buy a cheap one.

Psycho_Puppy
Sep 15, 2004

Founder, Mutant Ninja Peek-a-Poo Death Squad.
I have to recommend this cooking show.

http://www.tagtele.com/videos/voir/6639

Acetone
May 20, 2005
Working toward a glowing-sludge future!

Meet the best baking yeast in the world. Going from active dry yeast to this stuff was like trading in a Camry to buy a Porsche. Everything rises faster, rises higher, and just keeps on going. Bonus: if you buy from King Arthur flour, it's only $6 FOR A FULL POUND. No more awful active dry yeast at $5 for a quarter of that.

Pic very, very related:
(1 tsp yeast, 1 pound loaf, no sugar or anything to promote rising).

Also, seconding the awesomeness of the bench scraper and mini-whisks. The bench scraper is fantastic for cleaning up all the bits of flour and dried-up dough from shaping and kneading bread. Clean up in now a breeze rather than a major pain.

The mini-whisk is perfect for whipping up eggs, or making a little steamed milk or whipped cream for coffee. Good for mixing small batches of sauces too.

Acetone fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Mar 2, 2011

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

If you do that you will die on the toilet.

Acetone posted:

Meet the best baking yeast in the world. Going from active dry yeast to this stuff was like trading in a Camry to buy a Porsche. Everything rises faster, rises higher, and just keeps on going. Bonus: if you buy from King Arthur flour, it's only $6 FOR A FULL POUND. No more awful active dry yeast at $5 for a quarter of that.

Pic very, very related:
(1 tsp yeast, 1 pound loaf, no sugar or anything to promote rising).

Also, seconding the awesomeness of the bench scraper and mini-whisks. The bench scraper is fantastic for cleaning up all the bits of flour and dried-up dough from shaping and kneading bread. Clean up in now a breeze rather than a major pain.

The mini-whisk is perfect for whipping up eggs, or making a little steamed milk or whipped cream for coffee. Good for mixing small batches of sauces too.

This is really cool and is the exact kind of thing that makes this thread awesome.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

BerkerkLurk posted:

I just got one and was pleased to discover it will also seal just about any plastic bag. Thing rules.

The primary use for my FoodSaver is is to seal alcohol in Capri-Sun pouches. :cheers::hf::science:

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

deadwing posted:

The primary use for my FoodSaver is is to seal alcohol in Capri-Sun pouches. :cheers::hf::science:

haha awesome

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.
Recommended IKEA products:

SNITSIG pot w/lid, ($20 for 9 qt). Not gorgeous, but in independent tests the best at transfering heat.

FAVORIT saucepan w/ lid ($30 for 2qt) Also test winner

TOKIG salad spinner - $3 for a functioning salad spinner? Are you making GBS threads me?

STIL tagine $60, works great for me.

FAVORIT frying pan, $40 for 11". A bit heavy but good at the price for a non-stick (teflon).

Just stay away from any of the kitchen kit that needs batteries, they're uniformly poo poo (scales, thermometers etc)

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.
Can I post a request here?

My wife and I bum in a basement apartment without a formal kitchen and have only a portable, plug in electric range that works I suppose, but is abysmal for boiling water. Hence, I am looking for a small portable induction range. Have any of you guys used one of these 1-2 burner deals and have any recommendation?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

7 Bowls of Wrath posted:

Have any of you guys used one of these 1-2 burner deals and have any recommendation?

Haven't used one myself, but I'd say to go for one that's at least 1500w, preferably 2000w or more for a single burner unit. Other than that, just go for the one that fits your pots best, has the best controls (give it a whirl at the store) and has no stupid nooks and crannies that will be hard to clean.

Turbo overdrive insta-boil type functions are nice, but not a necessity.

And please don't get one where the controls are touch-based and embedded in the glass right next to the burner itself. Trust me on this, my parents' glass-ceramic cooktop has the controls within like 1cm of the burners, I've burned my fingers so many times, it's not even funny.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jan 19, 2011

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007

Not an Anthem posted:

I have this. I think the "holds more sauce" part is a bullshit gimmick but silicone brushes are AWESOME. Last forever, easy cleaning.

Buy a cheap one.

It also helps hold liquids of different viscosities better (CI noted this too). I prefer it to the cheaper silicone brushes I've tried. It's not exactly going to break the bank at $7.

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.

KozmoNaut posted:

Haven't used one myself, but I'd say to go for one that's at least 1500w, preferably 2000w or more for a single burner unit. Other than that, just go for the one that fits your pots best, has the best controls (give it a whirl at the store) and has no stupid nooks and crannies that will be hard to clean.

Turbo overdrive insta-boil type functions are nice, but not a necessity.

And please don't get one where the controls are touch-based and embedded in the glass right next to the burner itself. Trust me on this, my parents' glass-ceramic cooktop has the controls within like 1cm of the burners, I've burned my fingers so many times, it's not even funny.

+1 to avoiding the embedded controls if I can get around it.

I suppose it was the wattage that I wasn't too sure about. we shall see what I can find for a reasonable cost.

Acetone
May 20, 2005
Here's a recommendation for goons stuck with cheap, rapidly-dulling knives: the Accusharp 001 sharpener.

In about 10 seconds you can put a respectable edge on even the dullest knives, better than I've seen with other sharpeners. Bonus: it only costs about $10 vs. the hundreds of dollars for electric sharpeners. Perfect for goons who share kitchens with parents/roommates/significant others that refuse to buy quality cutlery or maintain what they have.

Two catches though: it does take off some of the metal, and won't produce the razor sharp, mirror-finish edge that a set of high-grit stones can. Thus, it's probably not suitable for use with super-expensive Japanese knives; however, if you own those, you can probably afford to spend $100+ to get a good set of sharpening stones.

I'd be happy using this on a Victorinox, Henckels or Wusthof and then finishing it up with 1000+ grit stones.

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

If I get ten spare bucks, it's going for a 30-pack of Schlitz.

The Mr. Clean Magic Eraser is apparently imbued with some form of magic. I'm not sure if it is of the "Unicorns and rainbows" variety or "Your soul will rot in hell" variety of magic, but this fucker will clean the poo poo out of pretty much anything. I've used it on some soap scum, corian countertop, glass stove top and painted walls and it is loving magic. No chemicals needed. Just wet the eraser and rinse it when you're done.

It is VERY mildly abrasive however, so if you apply too much pressure or scrub the same spot for a long time, you can wear a finish or go through a layer of paint.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0016VC46A/ref=oss_product
If you want to sharpen kitchen knives easily, a cheap 1000 grit stone is literally all you need unless you want to get nerdy about sharpening.

See, here, I sharpened my cleaver and made a video JUST FOR YOU GUYS.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlFsMgPQ2oA

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Acetone posted:

Here's a recommendation for goons stuck with cheap, rapidly-dulling knives: the Accusharp 001 sharpener.

In about 10 seconds you can put a respectable edge on even the dullest knives, better than I've seen with other sharpeners.
I bought one not two weeks ago, and will completely agree with this review. Definitely a good buy.

Alpine Mustache
Jul 11, 2000

Dane posted:

Recommended IKEA products:

STIL tagine $60, works great for me.

Just stay away from any of the kitchen kit that needs batteries, they're uniformly poo poo (scales, thermometers etc)

I saw this the last time i was in the store, and i can't figure out what you would use it for.

The best i can come up with is that it is like a slow cooker that will also allow moisture to (slowly?) escape.

Also their SLITBAR Chef's knife is really good for a $40 knife.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

Alpine Mustache posted:

I saw this the last time i was in the store, and i can't figure out what you would use it for.

The best i can come up with is that it is like a slow cooker that will also allow moisture to (slowly?) escape.

Also their SLITBAR Chef's knife is really good for a $40 knife.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tajine

Wikipedia posted:

The cover is so designed to promote the return of all condensation to the bottom. With the cover removed, the base can be taken to the table for serving.

Recently, European manufacturers have created tajines with heavy cast-iron bottoms that can be heated on a cooking stove to a high temperature. This permits the browning of meat and vegetables before cooking.

VikingKitten
Jan 19, 2003
I want to make sausage. I don't have (or really want) a Kitchenaid - any recommendations on a standalone meat grinder? Just how annoying would a manual one be?

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

VikingKitten posted:

I want to make sausage. I don't have (or really want) a Kitchenaid - any recommendations on a standalone meat grinder? Just how annoying would a manual one be?

actually probably better than the kitchenaid. I have the attachment, and while it works, it's not my favorite thing in the world. seems to turn my meat to paste a little more often than not. but then, I've never hand cranked a meat grinder, so that is probably annoying too.

ZetsurinPower
Dec 14, 2003

I looooove leftovers!
I never thought I would say it, because I talked poo poo about them for almost 10 years. But ever since I got one, I use the gently caress out of my garlic press. After doing it by hand for so long, I feel like I have earned the right to be lazy.

and I'll also say that if you own more than one pot, you probably don't need a rice cooker or slow cooker. use the money on something else.

ZetsurinPower fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Jan 26, 2011

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007

ZetsurinPower posted:

I never thought I would say it, because I talked poo poo about them for almost 10 years. But ever since I got one, I use the gently caress out of my garlic press. After doing it by hand for so long, I feel like I have earned the right to be lazy.

I don't get why people consider a garlic press and what you get from finely chopping cloves interchangeable. If I want tiny pieces of garlic, I chops it. If I want mush that will mix into the sauce, I use my Microplane (or garlic press if necessary). They don't even cook the same way.

ZetsurinPower posted:

and I'll also say that if you own more than one pot, you probably don't need a rice cooker or slow cooker. use the money on something else.

And I'll say if you eat rice regularly it's a godsend not having to worry about putting the rice on when you're pulling together the meal at the end of cooking. I make a lot of Indian and Chinese food. I've used the poo poo out of my Zojirushi and I would buy it again in a heartbeat.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

ZetsurinPower posted:

Slow cookers are valuable because you can leave them on all day while you're at work and your house won't burn down.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
I own more than one pot for sure. None of them cranks out a pot of brown rice with the ease or consistency of my rice cooker. We eat rice three times a day, pretty close to every day. Without a rice cooker, I'd be spending obscene amounts of time cursing at the stove for making my rice (1) mushy, (2) stuck to the bottom of the pot, meaning that I'll have to spend a few hours soaking/cleaning, or (3) burned. Also, it really is nice to be able to dump rice into the cooker, add water, turn it on, and /walk away/. I don't like doing that with regular pots because it's caused some fairly major gently caress ups in the past.

Acetone
May 20, 2005

dino. posted:

Without a rice cooker, I'd be spending obscene amounts of time cursing at the stove for making my rice (1) mushy, (2) stuck to the bottom of the pot, meaning that I'll have to spend a few hours soaking/cleaning, or (3) burned.
I've never really had a problem with rice on the stovetop -- you just need to know the correct amount of water and cooking heat. Oh yeah, and rinse the rice well / presoak for basmati. Then again, I do all my rice in this saucepan, which I am highly recommending to everyone.

Calphalon Contemporary nonstick 2 1/2 Qt shallow saucepan.
Thick, heavy gauge aluminum for fast, even heating, nonstick interior (surprisingly durable), hard-anodized exterior. Oh, and the best lid I've ever seen for cooking rice: tight-fitting, clear tempered glass, so you can judge by steam when all your water is absorbed. The pan is very responsive due to all-aluminum construction, but is thick enough to resist warping, and the anodized exterior protects it. You can burn things in the saucepan, but it's hard since the walls transmit a lot of heat up the sides, yielding even heating. Also, if you burn stuff you just wipe it off with a sponge.

I've come to hate nonstick (except for a single frying pan to cook eggs), but this pan is just too useful to give up. Also, (unlike all my other nonsticks) it has lasted though 4 years of frequent use.

Chickenfat
Nov 14, 2008

It ain't easy bein' greasy.

Parchment Paper

While Silpat mats are certainly handy, you still have to wash the damned things and you have to own multiple sizes depending on what you're baking. Cut your parchment to fit any pan you own! I can re-use 1 sheet for at least 5 pans of cookies, so it really isn't expensive to use. You also can't use a silpat for my favorite thing to make- Oven Bacon! Super-easy cleanup, no scorching, 12 or more strips at a time, room enough on stove-top for the pancakes, omelets and home fries you're making to go along with that delicious bacon! I know most instructions for oven bacon call for foil, but it tears easily and then you have grease all over your jelly-roll pan. With parchment paper, cut so it fits beyond the edge of the pan (15" width rolls are perfect for this), bake and let the grease solidify when done, gently scraping off with plastic turner to save for making biscuits or seasoning potatoes and veggies. Toss the paper and your done. Easy Peasy.

I prefer the unbleached kind as it holds up better to heat.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Thanks for this thread, guys. Just learning to cook for the first time so I'm suddenly in a huge kitchenware acquisition mode right now. Pots, pans, everything.

BTW, Calphalon is doing some promo where you can buy a pair (12" and 10") of their Contemporary Nonsticks (anodized aluminum body) for $50. Those are decent pans for a great price, right?

rigeek
Jun 12, 2006

VikingKitten posted:

Northern Tool has a few sausage grinder / stutters. Some hand-cranked and some electric. Cheap and worth checking out.

Acetone
May 20, 2005

Steve Yun posted:

BTW, Calphalon is doing some promo where you can buy a pair (12" and 10") of their Contemporary Nonsticks (anodized aluminum body) for $50. Those are decent pans for a great price, right?
The saucepan I posted is great, but when outfitting a kitchen for the first time SKIP THE NONSTICK SETS and buy stainless-clad aluminum. Why? They can survive abuse and LAST, where nonsticks wear out, and have to be handled carefully. Clad pans also distribute heat up the sides for even heating, and can use a whisk or other metal utensils in them. I did a bunch of research and settled on the Cuisinart Multiclad 7-piece set for my kitchen:.

It's the best value I've seen ($160 for all the pan types you'll need and none you won't). Really, really great value, and high-quality cookware that should last lifetimes. One caveat: people who cook for 4+ regularly will find the 10" saute pan a little small and should consider getting a 12" one. All-clad makes even nicer pans, but I've yet to meet anybody that can afford a full set of them.

Oh yeah: they are also oven-safe. How oven safe? Well, I roasted a 5 pound chicken in my 10" saute pan:

Click here for the full 600x450 image.

You really only need 2 nonstick pans. The most important is a single cheap 8" to 10" teflon-coated saute pan (sloped sides) for cooking eggs. I got T-Fal one for $10 that does the job just fine. This gets replaced when it wears out (it will). The second nonstick is a a saucepan for sauces, rice, and pasta that tend to stick to pans and leave a mess. I like my Calphalon Contemporary 2 1/2 qt shallow saucepan for this use. The other nonstick stuff doesn't get used -- stainless just needs a little scrubbing with a nylon scouring pad to get most stuff off.

Oh yeah, and get a qualitycast-iron skillet. Lodge Logic makes nice ones. I like Lodge Logic, and others do too (pre-seasoned is a nice plus), but can't say anything good or bad about other brands. I imagine they don't differ by much though.

Acetone fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Jan 27, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Acetone posted:

Oh yeah, and get a quality cast-iron skillet. Lodge Logic makes nice ones.

Gonna argue with you on that one. Cast iron is cast iron (when it's not enameled.) I got most of mine on the cheap, and they are in no way inferior to Lodge.

• Locked thread