Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

geetee posted:

Go for this cookware set: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Tramontina-10-Piece-18-10-Stainless-Steel-TriPly-Clad-Cookware-Set/11072505

Cooks Illustrated or some well known magazine rated it nearly indistinguishable from the similar looking All-Clad pieces. I am super happy with my set. Food browns nicely, really takes effort to burn something. I was surprised at how easily they clean off, even with minimal or no soaking. I remember the torture it was to clean my mom's old pots and pans. That part actually convinced her to get a set as well and she loves them too.

poo poo, I'd have gotten that Tramontina set a couple months ago when I was shopping around - the local Marshall's has had the occasional single piece, but always at way too high of a price, so I never bothered looking for the set.

Instead, I wound up with this set:

http://www.surlatable.com/product/PRO-515668/Sur-La-Table-Tri-Ply-Stainless-Steel

Honestly, I'm extremely happy with it. Especially since I got it on sale for an extra $50 off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

PRADA SLUT posted:

I like that, but I like the statuette design holding the previous.

I was actually going to leave it out as a decoration is why.

http://absinthe-shop.com/absinthe-fountain-lady

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

I got this set on sale for $250 and it's pretty awesome for the money:

http://www.surlatable.com/product/PRO-515668/Sur-La-Table-Tri-Ply-Stainless-Steel-9-Piece-Set

Thick, heavy, no hot spots that I've noticed yet, and it's fine in the oven. I do need to give it a deep clean with Barkeeper's Friend this week, though.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

bunnielab posted:

mulled wine/cider.

Holy loving poo poo this is brilliant, why have I never thought of this?

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Doh004 posted:

Just got my 8" Victorinox Chef's knife. I had no idea things cut so easily with a well sharpened knife!

I also bought a sharpening steel and it actually made my lovely $15 Marhshall's knife set somewhat usable :D

You bought a honing steel, or a sharpening stone? A steel is really for blade maintenance, a stone actually removes material from the blade to sharpen it. Both improve performance, but a hone should be used FAR more regularly by the average cook (read: every day).

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Acetone posted:

How the crap do you manage to snap the point while deboning though? It's not like supersteels where it's super brittle. I can totally see bending it though.

Actually, mine get a bent point courtesy of someone loving it up during a brief, unplanned visit to dishpit... but even then it was pretty easy to fix up.

Somehow jam it partially into a thick bone and then try to remove it?

I once saw a coworker jab a cutting board with the point of a cheap paring knife and snap about 1/2" off the tip, leaving it stuck in the cutting board.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

PRADA SLUT posted:

Or a drywall saw.

I actually use a Sawzall as my main cutting implement in the kitchen.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

StealthArcher posted:

Should I just skip the inevitable one-upping and just mention my father's one-time use of his chainsaw in cooking?

I actually once worked in a kitchen that preferred to use hacksaws for breaking down whole pigs. Not sure if they still do, it's been a few years since I worked there.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

I know we've had pepper grinder talk several times in here - if anyone hasn't grabbed one yet, woot.com has a grinder on sale today for cheap:

http://home.woot.com/sale/core-bamb...m=email#tracked

No idea how good it is, but for $8 it's pretty low risk.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

TECHNICAL Thug posted:

Is a stand mixer something you would always buy new, or something you'd consider getting from craigslist/garage sales? I have found a couple on CL but I'm worried they'll break right after I start using it. On the other hand, saving over $100 is pretty nice. Maybe I should just convince my fiance to go ahead and get married this week so that someone will buy one for us.

I can't speak for other brands, but for Kitchen Aid, the older and heavier it is, the better.

That said, if you're going to grab one at a garage sale, at least ask them to let you plug it in there and flip it on to make sure it works.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Voodoofly posted:

Anyone have recommendations on a specific meat grinder, or even what I should be looking for in a meat grinder?

All metal, hand crank is nice if you're doing it by yourself and you won't be stuffing anything because it gives you finer control over the grind. If you're going to be stuffing sausages, get something with a motor.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Voodoofly posted:

Thanks. I do plan on stuffing sausages, at least some of the time. I was under the impression, though, that I wouldn't be stuffing them straight from the grinder, but rather grind meat -> season ground meat -> stuff seasoned ground meat into sausages. I assume a hand crank would still be the way to go then in that route?

I also plan on doing a lot of other things besides just stuffing sausages, if that makes a difference.

This is true, you typically do grind -> season -> stuff, the issue is that with stuffing sausage, you try to keep a fairly continuous feed through, which is harder when one hand is devoted to turning the crank. It requires 2 people regardless, in my experience, and I've always just found an electric grinder easier to stuff with.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Voodoofly posted:

I've thought about just going the kitchen aid mixer route as well, but figured I should at least look at a few options.

Oh, I just assumed that the sausage stuffer was a completely separate instrument rather than relying on the meat grinder to work. Having a motor on the grinder makes a lot more sense now.

The way we do it (my family makes ~ 40lbs of korv every year, a Swedish pork and barley sausage), the sausage stuffer is simply a conical attachment for the grinder. After you run the meat through, you just attach the stuffer and push everything through the grinder one last time.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Steve: That's an awesome post. I'd probably add a bit about pepper grinders, just because I've seen that one asked and answered a bunch of times as well.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

logical fallacy posted:

I think I have a pastry blender, but it's buried in a box in a closet somewhere. I either use my hands or forks.

I don't think I've ever even SEEN a pastry blender, I had to look up what it was. I agree with you completely, there is a VERY short list of basics that are necessities (saute pan, sauce pan, wooden spoon), and several longer lists of things that are useful/necessary based on what you make.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Is a thermapen useful for deep frying? I haven't found a fry thermometer worth a poo poo, so the last couple times I've just guessed it and hoped for the best.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

mod sassinator posted:

This is a really tough one as almost all of them make some kind of compromise. I.e. if its good at baking it's probably bad at toasting or vice versa. I've also been looking to find one that doesn't get hot on top but basically gave up and just live with being careful. I settled on a Delonghi model like this one that Costco had for $100. At first I hated it but I've slowly grown to accept its flaws. Out of the box it makes terrible toast, seriously it scorches part of the bread and dries it out terribly. However if I use frozen bread it works pretty well and makes nicely browned toast that isnt dry. It's also a decent little convection oven that is great for roasting a pork loin or bits of chicken. Convection is a pretty handy feature for even heating and nice crispy crusts on dishes. Overall I'm on the fence about toaster ovens--I really wanted to find something I could use for both toasting bread and making small meals. The sad truth is that toaster ovens, even expensive ones, just aren't that great at doing both. The one caveat is that Breville makes a 'smart oven' that's supposed to be amazing but is $250, too risky to spend on a toaster oven IMHO.

What I've been told numerous times (as someone who lives in an apartment where counter space is a premium), if you want to make toast, get a toaster. If you want a tiny oven, get a toaster oven.

You can make toast in a toaster oven, don't get me wrong - but its best uses come from being a tiny oven that takes a lot less time to heat up, draws a lot less power, and most importantly, won't heat up your entire kitchen if it stays on for awhile.

I have family that use them religiously, and if I had the space for one I'd grab it in a heartbeat. I don't eat toast very often, so that is pretty much immaterial to me.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

PRADA SLUT posted:

I know this has been asked before, but which Kitchenaid Mixer should I pick up, a professional or a regular one?

I will be making Pain a l'Ancienne and other breads a few times a week, and MY GIRLFRIEND likes making cookies, including a few thick ones like chocolate crinkles (which actually destroyed my hand mixer).

Get the lift bowl version. I've got an Artisan, which is a tilt head, and there are times that I worry about the strain on the hinge/motor because of the design.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Unicorn Magnum Plus all the way for me. Puts out more pepper in one twist than anything else I've used.

Some one I use, it's awesome. Not to mention how easy it is to refill compared with the old grinder I used to have.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

dino. posted:

Resist the hoarder tendencies and throw the damned thing out.

This. Crock pots are cheap.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Has anyone tried one of these?

http://sellout.woot.com/

Kuhn Rikon 4th burner pot.

For $12, I'm thinking I'll do it just to see if it's worth a drat - a vertical pot like that could come in handy, just figured I'd ask before I spent the cash on it.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

The Third Man posted:

Before I bite this bullet, is this the best bet for a kitchenaid mixer these days?:

http://www.amazon.com/KitchenAid-KP...rofessional+600

EDIT: reasoning being the metal gearboxes on the professional series are more desirably/longer lasting. Is there a general opinion on head tilt vs bowl lift?

I'm pretty sure the general consensus is that lift bowl is superior, assuming you have enough room for it since it is substantially taller. Tilt heads tends to walk around the counter a bit more, since the joint where it tilts isn't 100% secure.

At least a couple people prefer tilt head, though, because it's easier to stop and add more items mid-mix if necessary.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Steve Yun posted:

Would these do as kitchen towels or should I get towels that specifically say kitchen towel

Those are the ones I use. They're cheap, thick enough to use as pot holders in a pinch, wipe up spills quite handily, and plentiful/cheap enough that you don't feel bad throwing one away occasionally if it just gets destroyed. I go through about a pack every 2 years.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

My dutch oven is actually cast aluminum.

http://www.amazon.com/All-Clad-Aluminum-2-Quart-Dutch-Mitts/dp/B001C1AL64

Found it on closeout for $30 shipped awhile back. It's typically just the GF and myself, so the size works out fine.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

logical fallacy posted:

Yet another option would be if you live in Colorado. I can't remember the name of the place, but it's a shop that does retinning and also sells copper pans. I'd have to google around to figure out the name, but they were hand-hammered pans with copper rivets, and the prices were pretty good if I remember correctly.

Perhaps you're thinking of these guys? Somewhat limited selection, but not a bad price. No lids, though, which may or may not be important to everyone.

http://www.rockymountainretinning.com/forsale.htm

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Xovaan posted:

Yeah it was just a vague idea because she makes protein powder pancakes in the morning but in hind sight it seems a bit silly ahah

Sans-egg ring things, sans-sharpener (I'll just get them professionally sharpened) and avec-larger cutting board then. Thanks for the feedback, guys! I'm actually gonna be getting the Victorinox knife for myself and giving her my Miyabi since she loves cooking with it. Plus that way I don't feel bad about my roommates using that too. :ssh:

I would add a hone to replace the sharpener - if it gets used daily, it will keep the knife in much better shape and mean far fewer trips to the grinding stone.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Steve Yun posted:

You might want to ask her what she wants. If she's familiar with knives she might have something in mind that she wants...? What knives does she already have?

Yeah, if she works as a cook, there's a decent chance that your best bet will be to replace/upgrade something that she already uses regularly, probably her chef's knife. Those huge knife sets are generally frowned upon - to get by, all most people need is a chef's knife and paring knife for general work, a bread knife if baking is involved, and a boning knife if breaking down animals is involved. Useful specialty knives are kind of rare.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Luegene Cards posted:

I'm looking to upgrade my saute pan (which is my favorite pan (it is so perfect for things(more nested praise))). Right now I'm rocking the saute pan from the cuisinart multiclad blahblah here it is: http://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-MCP...isinart+pan+set

I'm looking for something in the ~100 buck range, preferably a bit larger than the 10-inch diameter one I'm using now. I have trouble fitting in a butchered chicken without serious crowding, and I would be happier if this was not a thing that happened. So long, granted, as 11- to 12-inch saute pans are not ridiculous and heat terribly unevenly. I'm not so well informed. But yeah, I'd love a recommendation if you guys think I could get a solid upgrade in my price range. Thanks in advance!

I'm sure you know this, but if you have a Marshall Homegoods near you, go look there. I was at the one near me and they had a ridiculous selection of tri ply saute pans including All Clad, Calphalon, Cuisinart, etc., all for very reasonable prices. I was in the market for a second sauce pan but I almost bought one anyway.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

2 saute pans, without even thinking about it.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

I'm sure the answer is "No, just buy a pair you idiot," but are there any super magical kitchen shears I should be aware of? Mine died and I need to replace them.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Evoo, coconut cream, condensed milk, evap milk, and like a ton of other things.

I didn't know Rachel Ray posted here

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

GrAviTy84 posted:

The Kuhn rikon is a unique pressure cooker. It is a completely sealed system. It doesn't lose moisture when used properly. This means in practice, that it doesn't lose flavor. By comparison, food out of a Kuhn will taste brighter, fresher, where the other cookers will taste flat by comparison. Still delicious either way but I am a firm believer that if you're going to buy a pressure cooker, go cheap or go big. That is to say, it's not worth it to go mid range.

Wait - how does this work, how does it relieve pressure? Or does it just keep building pressure if you overheat it, because that sounds like a fantastic way to win to get sued.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Enkor posted:

We just replaced our SmartStick (with another SmartStick) after it died. It's not very sturdy and we crushed a lot of ice cubes for smoothies with it. But if you go easy on it, it's great.

You can crush ice with a stick blender? Wow...Never even thought of trying that.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

mod sassinator posted:

A food processor works as a decent grinder too.

Only for small amounts. My family does ~40 lbs of korv (Swedish pork and barley sausage) for Christmas every year, the difference between a food processor grinder and the electric grinder my uncle bought several years ago is massive.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Steve Yun posted:

I wonder, would a regular mini fridge do if you just set the temperature higher?

It would be on the cold end of acceptable - if you really want to keep it at cellar temps, you'll need to either buy a dedicated wine fridge, or buy a mini fridge and replace the thermostat.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Maple is a good wood for cutting boards, as is walnut.

Bamboo is OK, my only qualm is that I only seem to find thin bamboo boards which tend to split after some time. A good end grain block is going to be in my budget after I move, hopefully to a place with a bigger kitchen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

I don't think anyone is saying that Shun is low quality, just that they're too expensive. I also use a Shun, and I'm very happy with it.

• Locked thread