Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I am looking for a pastry scraper / dough cutter, but not your standard 6x3 one. I am looking one for a thinner blade. Obviously, it'll probably be correspondingly smaller, otherwise the blade could bend easily, but I'm okay with that. None of the ones I've found on amazon list blade thickness, but they all seem from relatively the same stock. I don't care about measurements, mostly just that I can get a really thin blade for good slicing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Can anyone recommend a seal/pour bottle for oils and such while cooking? I know OXO sells a stopper you can plug into any bottle, but I'm looking for something more integrated plus it has semi-bad reviews due to it's 'universal' nature.

I've seen a few stopper bottles but they tend to be too big to easily juggle and use. Anyone have a favorite?

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I bought some squeeze bottles, thanks! I didn't feel like registering at walmart for one item but I found something similar at Amazon.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
So it's been about a week and I have to say squeeze bottle oils are the best invention ever. I should have done it years ago. Sad they don't look so good on the counter, but wow are they convenient as all hell.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

GrAviTy84 posted:

Zooooojiiirushiiii

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

GrAviTy84 posted:

the clumping thing isnt a vitamix thing, it's a chemistry thing. putting powder in first then liquid causes it to form a gelatinous skin that makes it stick to the walls and protects it from the torrent. Put the liquid in first, start the blender and add the powder in the top.

:aaaaa: have I been making protein shakes wrong for 15 years?! Holy poo poo. Is this something that works with a shake-bottle or just a blender? No, nevermind I'll just try tomorrow morning.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
You can get both. A friend just picked up this one.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Yeah, but now I have a problem because I'm eyeing that sour cream in the fridge and wondering what it'd be like in a squeeze bottle.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Ask yourself if you really need that much space. Most seasonal things you might can, like applesauce or whatever can be stored at room temperature, and unless you receive large amounts of meat from a recently butchered animal, you probably just really need to go through what's in your freezer and see how old some of the stuff is. Lots of people put dates with a sharpie on the outside, and you'd probably be surprised as what's in there.

Chest freezers are pretty expensive to maintain in terms of power if they're outside, and I would be frankly surprised if you could recoup purchase and operating costs solely on splurging on sales of frozen items at your local grocery. I'd consider it if you had a large family, but with only 3 people? A normal size freezer really should be sufficient.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Jan 29, 2015

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
You probably won't have to steal. There are lots of single grandmas who would love company and cooking for someone else.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Are the OXO storage containers still the best option if you don't want to deal with angling a measuring cup down a mason jar's smaller mouth? I sort of don't like how the lid is like an inch and a half deep but I still want a tight seal.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Thread was right?!?!

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Tortilla press = 8" circular piece of metal with a handle, right?

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I'm looking for a thin and light wood cutting board to replace these lovely plastic ones I have. I have a wood cutting board but it's too large and heavy and so I just quickly grab the plastic ones because I can throw them around. I knew plastic was bad for knives but they're cheap so I don't care that much except it really ruins the edge every single time I use them.

I don't care much about the looks, so maybe wood fiber composite is the way to go? I'm not up on my cutting board tech, just want to stop the deterioration of my knives and maybe get two(!!) uses before having to hone them. What's important to me is that it's light and thus probably thin.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
They aren't lovely, they're cheap. I have a few of the universally recommended vitcorinox set. Which I bought back when they were reasonably priced. I'll buy real knives eventually, but for now they're at the good price point and still serviceable.

Aren't those boards you linked plastic?

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
yeah, the ones I have are all from ikea right now. There's a large pine one that's basically 24x24x3/4 and a smaller 14x10x2 that I think's bamboo, and a few plastic 8x10 ones which I use way more.

I don't think ikea sells smaller wood ones, only bamboo. Maybe I'll go over there on the weekend and take a look

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Jun 8, 2015

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
maybe! I hope not. They are getting old though, and I've used them every day for years...

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I can't really go through full meal prep without having to hone them midway or just deal with the dullness; had figured it was the cutting board I was using, and figured it was the cheapest thing to replace and see if it fixes it. I sharpened them uh, mid last year? and they seemed fairly OK afterwards.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I got the faux edge and used it. It sharpens the knives good enough for me!

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I love almost everything in the entire oxo line. Except the price, I guess.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Teeter posted:

I picked up the AGPtek knife sharpener thing. I skimmed through some videos on youtube, but does anyone have a particular favorite guide for how to learn this thing?
I did the same, except picked the first one I found. It's not exactly rocket science. Goons overthink everything. Even a lovely sharpening job will make things better than they were before, and you'll get better over time. Don't worry about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CY6DJ0PQxyA

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
0I'd find a double-boiler-steamer combo thing if you can - It seems silly to have a single-use item.

TBF, I use a metal mixing bowl from ikea as my inner bowl, heh.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Still need a wireless probe to stick in the roast while it cooks, though :(

I'm not opening the oven every 10 minutes like some sort of peasant.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Hauki posted:

The cable is rated to 700F. Just.. stick it in the door? The insulation lining the door should accommodate it easily. It's like 1/16" thick.
It looked thicker than that in the picture but wireless is still easier; no idea why you'd get a wired one when you can easily go wireless.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Solkanar512 posted:

I'm looking at waffle makers/panini presses for my wife's birthday. Looking to spend around 50-150 on the former or both.

Are any of the combination appliances worth it, or should I stick with a stand alone waffle maker? What should I be looking for? Is there a go-to model that everyone loves?

Thanks!
I have what appears to be literally the cheapest one on amazon, $25 and I got it from a neighbor for $10 when they moved, I use it so much it just sits on the counter by the ricecooker because i'm tired of hauling it out.

http://www.amazon.com/Hamilton-Beach-25462Z-Gourmet-Sandwich/dp/B00E134JJ0

It has no features, nor does it need any. You plug it in. It has two lights on the top. Red = charging up, Green = optimal temperature. The temp is just hot enough to melt cheese and toast bread. It has a non-stick coating. Use a non-stick spatula or your hands to place/remove the food. Wipe it down with a damp cloth/paper towel while still warm/hot.

Maybe eventually it will break but then i'll just buy the same one again. there are some fancy ones and ones that are double the price but the temp is perfect for what I do with it so I don't really need it.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Oct 29, 2015

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I bought the ones recommended by sweethome, I think the magnum? at the finest setting it's basically outputting powder.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

Sounds great! Where do I find that?

Looks like there's an update so have five thousand words about pepper mills http://thesweethome.com/reviews/best-pepper-mill/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Well, read the wall of text and see which one rated the highest for fine grinds. It may not be the #1 overall.

• Locked thread