Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Crockpots? Something in the 4.5 Qt range, preferably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Looking for good wooden spoons. I've got a few that I love but are starting to split. Everything I seem to find online is cheap crap. Any recommendations?

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Che Delilas posted:

What a scam, all you have to do is microwave your cheap metal scoop for 15 seconds. Save your money, kids!

Ummm, I'm pretty sure putting metal inside a microwave is a bad idea.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Che Delilas posted:

You're so cute.

Thanks, but I hardly see how that's relevant.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Che Delilas posted:

It was a joke, you goons (try running it under hot water, you don't need to spend 45 bucks to scoop ice cream).

You sure seem defensive for someone just making a joke.

Anyways, looking for good options for storing homemade chili, soup, etc.in the freezer and then being able to defrost overnight and microwave at work. I was looking into some of the Pyrex containers with matching plastic lids, but I've heard the quality has gone down as of late (no more borosilicate glass or something). I've thought about getting a few corningware mugs for the reheating and some cheap tupperware for the freezing, but it would be great if I could do it all in one (why clean two pieces when I can just clean one, etc.). Thoughts?

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

dino. posted:

So much truth in this post. Do this exactly.

In my kitchen I use five pots/pans primarily. One medium sized non-stick sauce pot (also works well for making rice), one big non stick pot (pasta), one medium nonstick pan (8 inch, fits 2-3 eggs), one large cast iron deepset pan (12 inch), one medium cast iron pan 8 inches). Everything else seems pretty superflous unless you are making very involved meals.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Doh004 posted:

Why is your pasta pot non stick?

No reason in particular (it was a hold over from a set I got almost 15 years ago), but it does make cleaning it very easy if I make a big pot of gumbo/chili/etc.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Gyshall posted:

I have an Aeropress which owns for single cup coffee but I'm curious if there is a good similar method for more than one or two cups at a time, preferably one that has minimal grounds/sediment in the final brew.

Like a French Press? They make those in small and large sizes, and I've had good experiences with those made by Bodum. Or is the vacuum /pressure part of what you are looking for?

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Liking for a recommendation for a mandolin slicer. Looking for something that won't take up too much space, but will save me time and effort making slaws, etc. Even better if it is available from Amazon.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Ooooh, sixty new replies in the GWS rec thread, maybe some cool new stuff I should look into! *opens thread* Erhm.

Need a garlic press, but everything seems really expensive and/or of poor quality online. Any recs on a nice middle of the road press?

E. Ugh, autotype

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I have an oxo press. I use it about a third of the time. If I already have a cutting board out, I just use a knife.

Also, some people have very strong opinions about garlic presses. Ignore them. Use one if you want.

Yea, I've been mincing it with a chef's nice for the last fifteen years, but just want the convenience of a press for when I'm making sauces etc where I don't care about texture. The grater suggestion is interesting. Again, though, looking for specific recommendations.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Anne Whateley posted:

This is ATK's choice and has great reviews: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0000CD0HX?vs=1

I haven't tried it myself because $25 for a garlic press??

Yea, this one of the ones I was referring to as to exorbitant prices. As to smashing with a knife, it never seems to really "smash" for me, but just develop a few cracks and a get flattened. I am assuming that diffusiion is improved by increased surface area, no?

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Electric Kettle recommendations, please. I've got a Chef'sChoice 681 at home (1.5L, stainless, no temp selector, etc). At home that I like, but I would like to get a new kettle to use at my office (or switch out to use at home and bring my current kettle to the office). I'd like to stay under $60 if possible. Will generally be used for making tea only, but maybe for a French press or drip every once in a while.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Steve Yun posted:

Do you want temp selection in your new one

Doesn't really matter, unless it totally does and I've been drinking tea wrong my entire life.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Steve Yun posted:

Why not just get another of the same model? It seems to be $50 and it's worked well for you, right?

Was just wondering if anyone had any better recommendations.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Full Circle posted:

If it's anything other than black/herbal and you've been using boiling water; yes you have.

I usually just listen for the boiling and flick it off before it's rolling if I'm doing green/white teas (or let it cool off some before pouring). Again, looking for recommendations here while trying to stay out of the $90 range.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

KingShiro posted:

Is there a huge disparity in water filter jugs/faucet attachments? I put so many bottles in the recycle every month that maybe I should switch to something better.

If you have even rudimentary plumbing skills, you should install and under the sink filter. Costs about 50 bucks and will last you a year befoe you need to replace the filter.

• Locked thread