Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013
ASK:lol: ME:lol: ABOUT:lol: MY :lol:TINY :lol:DICK

also my opinion on :females:
:haw::flaccid: :haw: :flaccid: :haw: :flaccid::haw:

Hauki posted:

Martin Yan.

No joke one of the easiest ways to get schooled in kitchen technique, and he's a blast to watch.

Martin Yan carves a chicken in 18 seconds (and this is a particularly messy one)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V37Pc45P4HA

Martin Yan cuts a cucumber into more than 50 slices (keep watching until the end)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HV8FPk5qN9k

This dude knows his stuff, and having served for a long time on PBS his stuff is everywhere. Pepin and Childs also have a ton of videos online, for the same reason. If you haven't seen Martin Yan do it, you probably haven't seen how well it can be done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013

Boris Galerkin posted:

I just wish he wouldn't talk so much.

It's more like a magician's patter. The part he's distracting you from, is that you paid him to come and speak for several minutes, when he can show you how to do the task in a few seconds.

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013

Giant Metal Robot posted:

An 8 inch has about 50 square inches of cooking area. A 10 inch has about 78 square inches. A 12 inch has about 110 square inches. I'd say a 12 inch is probably better for that many eggs.

With the calls for giant pans I'm concerned some people are making crappy dry, flat omelettes.

Pepin be with you:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57afEWn-QDg

I'm pretty sure I've done a 4-egg omelette in a 7" or 8". 10" works great, 12" is roomy. The general rule of "Buy as big as you can comfortably handle" applies here. Someday you might want to do a 6-egg stuffed omelette to serve two.

e:

GrAviTy84 posted:

Its like saying who makes a cake when you really want cupcakes. Not the same.

If you're that kind of person, yes get the largest possible nonstick omelette pan.

\/\/double e: MADNESS! I will begin tests as soon as I restock.

revdrkevind fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Jan 20, 2014

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013

All this serious salt discussion and I feel the most salient point was missed-

mich posted:

I use a salt shaker mainly to salt toast

You salt toast?
:psypop:

But for serious, the majority of people going on low-sodium diets are doing it for hypertension. If they're eating a homecooked meal and watching their portion sizes, salt used in preperation isn't nearly as big of a deal as most people think. The point of a low-sodium diet is mostly cutting out processed foods. Unless you have a dish that's meant to be finished with salt anyway, it would be better to take regular health steps like eliminating processed meats from a dish and then salting it properly for the enjoyment of everyone.

SubG posted:

Like start out with some unseasoned broccoli and gradually add salt and watch that poo poo go from `okay, it's broccoli' to `holy poo poo that's good' before hitting `too drat salty'. It's like a loving magic trick.

gently caress that poo poo, deep-fry cauliflower. Sprinkle a little salt and don't let your mother hear you eating it.

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013

Quick words of praise for the Swissmar Borner mandoline ($40). Just did a couple zucchini and potatoes for frying, halfway through I was slicing rapid-fire like a pro, cleans easily, has extra features to boot. Another goon recommendation pans out.

With my roommate starting an elimination diet it was time to upgrade the veggie-handling portion of the kitchen. So of course I'd buy a (refurb) Vitamix before checking the thread. And of course I'd miss a deal. And of course when I try it on the website just in case it's not working for me now. Not like there's much to complain about considering the 5-year warranty but still.

e: Vitamix standard reconditioned just arrived. Holy poo poo this thing is more gigantic than I remember. So I start a cleaning cycle just to be paranoid, add water and dish soap. Plan is to slowly turn the dial to high for 30 seconds. Easy.

The following is an accurate diagram of a Vitamix's settings:

:allears: > :aaa: > :aaaaa: > :clint: > :black101: > :cry: > :nms:

At which point I totally pussed out. Can't wait to gently caress up some frozen fruit used car parts with this thing.

revdrkevind fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Jul 26, 2014

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013

Jmcrofts posted:

Will a Vitamix fulfill all my needs? Can they grind meat or crush spices?

Vitamix is great for:
-Perfect smoothies, including collapse-the-straw milkshake thickness with all the seeds left in.
-Soups, you can heat a soup to steaming hot just using the blades in ~5 minutes.
-Ice? Pssh, you mean snow-cone base.
-Bread dough? Spices? Buy the dry ingredient container for best results. Make bread dough from raw, whole grains in one step.
-Basically turning (ingredient) into (liquid equivalent).
-Did I mention the kickass warranty, even on refurbs?

Vitamix is okay for:
-Food processing, while you can pulse up some bread crumbs or salsa, for perfectly consistent small chunks a dedicated food processor isn't a bad idea, the Vitamix prefers destroying things and your job is to stop it before it goes too far. If you have several ingredients of different consistency, let the Vitamix puree what it can and then toss in the ingredients you just want it to chunk (again, think chunky salsa).

Vitamix is not for:
-Grinding meat, that's what the Kitchen-Aid meat grinder attachment is for.
-Making pasta, that's what the Kitchen-Aid pasta roller attachment is for.
-A 10-cup serving of perfectly processed onions, that's what a 10-cup food processor is for.

Now if you want to turn a whole t-bone steak into a smoothie or soup base, Vitamix has you covered.

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013

Velius posted:

Ugh, just bought a refurb on amazon. Oh well.

It should be noted that the Vitamix corporation has a team of crack scientists who monitor online purchases, and ensure that that moment anyone purchases a unit they immediately drop the price just so that person didn't get the sale. It happened to me as well.

...and about ten seconds into hearing your Vitamix spin up into smoothie mode you'll be converted to the One True Religion. Praise the Vitamix, for when the day of reckoning comes it shall turn us all back into a bowl of the Primordial Soup. And that Soup shall be piping hot and frothy. Amen.

In other news I swear I'm going to end up with a whole kitchen drawer of OXO Good Grips. I wish more companies would take the hint.

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013

Carlton Banks Teller posted:

Can anyone recommend a decent casserole in an $x-50 range? A friend has this on their wedding registry. While that may in fact be great, I a) I don't have a casserole myself to judge by and b) most of their other kitchen gear seemed pretty 'well this is the best we can get from this place to consolidate registries' and I know the dude loves to cook so I'm willing to go beyond to get something actually good if there's better. Also I want a casserole myself and this is a good excuse to buy two and at least for me I wonder if 3qt is a decent size for common use? Perception may be tainted by crockpot sizing...

Get a dutch oven or iron cookstove, so it can pull double-duty? No idea about this particular item. I just use some gigantic dutch oven someone got me for everything.

Short of easily chipping, or being made from cancer, you're buying a painted hunk of clay. Looks and feel are a big factor- just check to make sure it has thick walls and reviews don't point to instant chipping. Good brands have a warranty to cover the chipping, so that's why you pay the big bucks (once, in your whole life, and you're set). If you're trying to go cheap, I'd say cruise secondhand stores as a top priority*. As noted, a crockpot bowl with a lid is usually a pretty good casserole dish to boot. Handle if possible to see if you like the aesthetics and heft. Casseroles range from single-serving-size (ramekins) to huge. What are you making?

*(Secondhand stores may not be the best recommendation right before the holiday, but hey.)

geetee posted:

Oh, Vitamix, why did I doubt you? Why did I wait so long? I love you.

Welcome to the cult club.

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013

Steve Yun posted:

I have been where you've been. Stopper bottles all suck. They're bulky and messy. gently caress them.

http://mobile.walmart.com/ip/Mainstays-Dispense-Bottle/14964974

These things are compact, and the small spout doesn't get drippy or messy, and it shoots out oil in a nice thin stream. The caps don't get lost, don't get gunked up, and being able to squeeze the bottle for pressure is handy.

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

You can walk into any liquor store and buy a few whiskey gates/free flow pourers. They work great, and are like 50c.

These are both correct answers.

I keep everything I'd ever want to add to a hot pan in squeeze bottles near my oven (soy sauce, chili oil...). I keep recycled fryer oil, general cooking oil, etc in cleaned-up liquor bottles with liquor tops on the counter so they look all glamorous even though it's just oil.

It's especially handy when you're knee-deep into a complex meal. Say you decide you'd like to add a dash of sesame oil you hadn't planned for. So you have to dig through your cabinet for the sesame oil, have to deal with one of those funky cheap pull rings or a twist cap, pour what you need, probably wipe off the neck, and put it back, potentially while juggling your food so you don't burn something and screw it that's too much effort grab the bottle and squeeze.

Sure it sounds like an infomercial. But in practice it's really nice and makes you feel like a professional.

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013

mindphlux posted:

What do you use for tops of your squeeze bottles?

The cabinet shelf above them, honestly. But yes, the ones with the topper attached would have been a smarter buy and as I'm in need of some spares I'll probably upgrade over time.

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013

Gyshall posted:

Blender Tier - Vitamix
Sort-of-a-blender Tier - Ninja

Here's a 7-step program for purchasing a Vitamix:
1) Wait for a sale on refurbished Vitamix blenders.
2) Miss the sale by one day.
3) Make sure it has the progressive speed knob ("standard" blender category).
4) Bitch in this thread about how much they cost and how you hope it'll be worth it.
5) Cross your fingers while purchasing the blender, ponder how you'll explain the expense to people.
6) Use the Vitamix.
7) Apologize profusely for ever questioning your decision to purchase a Vitamix.

The poo poo your $50 blender is making isn't a smoothie. The Vitamix is the best thing short of going to some junk sale where they cleared out a restaurant and sold off the equipment and you get their smoothie machine. Which, as it turns out, is probably a Vitamix.

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013

Daily Forecast posted:

Does anybody have any experience/thoughts about a refurbished vitamix? It comes with a five year warranty. It even comes in red. So it'll go faster.

They're exactly the same as a new blender in every way, except I think new blenders have an even longer warranty, and they're new. The blender is so powerful they have to make it right, or it would kill the new owner. This is one case where the "refurbished" model was in fact refurbished. Do it. You tellin' us you're a wuss or somethin'?

Also no offense to the price whiners but refurb Vitamixes are mentioned pretty much every time they're brought up, and the same people keep repeating the same speeches about how refurb vitamixes are the way to go. And catch them on sale. Which you won't. Then you'll complain about the sale that happened after you bought yours.

GrAviTy84 posted:

I don't think you have much control over the size of the milling but I could be wrong. Setting to grind corn flour vs corn grits for instance. I know a popular thing to do with a vitamix is to make your own nutbutters and nutmilks. Mich has made her own tofu in one too.

You, wrong? Such modesty. [Ingredient] >> [liquid equivalent]. If you think you're going to make corn meal, you're a little optimistic. If you just want a fine corn powder to flavor soups with, now that's something a Vitamix is good at.

Bhodi posted:

So it's been about a week and I have to say squeeze bottle oils are the best invention ever. I should have done it years ago. Sad they don't look so good on the counter, but wow are they convenient as all hell.

:thumbsup:
Squeeze bottles and "get a real knife goddamnit", are the best pieces of advice in the thread.

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013

Bhodi posted:

Yeah, but now I have a problem because I'm eyeing that sour cream in the fridge and wondering what it'd be like in a squeeze bottle.

You ever been to a Polish restaurant?

(do it)

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013

lowcrabdiet posted:

Are Vitamixes at the Costco events cheaper than Costco's regular prices?

For convenience: http://www.costco.com/vitamix-schedule.html

Googling seems to confirm: If you want to save money, just get a refurb. Sometimes even the refurbs go on sale, and that's the best deal you're going to get.

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013

Rice: Get a rice cooker big enough for your household. Seriously add water and rice, button, done. Even if you're a rice pro, this frees up a burner and makes it to the exact same consistency every single time. Even the $20 one from Target will do rice consistently every time, although if you love yourself at all you should get a crazy fuzzy logic one, maybe add some butter and salt if so inclined. Press one button, devote your entire attention to a protein, sauce the protein, when you hear the rice finish drizzle your pan over the rice, oh poo poo you just made an incredible meal to feed an entire family with one button press and heating one thing in a pan. It's crazy how much this frees you up. Even if you're a terrible American and you're all whiny about rice, just try it- that $20 model isn't breaking your bank. And it probably has a steamer too, so bonus.

Spices: The Krups $cheap grinder will do anything you want amazingly well, and it cleans fairly easily to boot. Strongly consider this, unless you do a ton of spices, in which case get one of those insane mill things. The only other option is if you regularly use a mortal and pestle, for example if you already like crushing garlic so it would be an investment to upgrade to a big granite model, then do that.

Zeth posted:

Zojirushi BB-CEC20 bread machine

Any glaring problems with either?

I'm kind of religious about my breadmaking and shake my head at bread machines.

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013

Hopper posted:

Yeah, check out the no knead thread

No knead bread is some magical stuff.

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013

Daily Forecast posted:

the base unit overheated and shut down halfway through the process.

A Vitamix will make bread dough and peanut butter, or beat soup until it's steaming hot, without shutdown issues. The soup settings runs on high for (5+ minutes?) no problem. And I'm in an apartment that's caked in cat hair.

Making a smoothie should take less than a minute, during which a healthy blender cannot reasonably overheat. I've loaded mine down with 1.25" cubed ice, whole frozen fruits, and peanut butter- all at the same time. Never an issue.

Either you fail spectacularly at life and we desperately need to see a video of this, or the unit is defective in really impressive ways. Which, if you bought a Vitamix in any official capacity whatsoever new or refurb, then Vitamix even pays shipping. So you'll be using the warranty, yes?

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013

Daily Forecast posted:

I don't want to send it in for warranty for them to try (and most likely fail) to fix this one

An entire internet full of people who are happy with their refurbs.
Assumes the refurb program sucks.
Seems legit.

When I bought my refurb, I got a Vitamix 6300. That's $330 refurb (before tax), $600 new, for a $250 difference. The other common model is the 5200, which is $550 retail.

The only $400 model I'm seeing, unless there's some crazy sale on, is a two-speed model. Don't get the two-speed. Get one with a variable dial.

Might I suggest a Vitamix Reconditioned Standard Programs which goes for $350 before tax? It seems like the best fit for your budget.

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013

Steve Yun posted:

That's enough reason to get a new kettle, right?

There's way too much information to decode the pot. You get used to it, though. Your brain does the translating. I don't even see the rust. All I see is "Bar", "Keeper's", "Friend". Hey uh, you want a drink?

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013

Elderbean posted:

Are any of the attachments for the kitchenaid mixer considered a must-have?

Everybody's mom uses the dough hook, meat grinder, and now a beater blade. I've heard rumors of a few people using the pasta roller, maybe.

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013

Tiny Chalupa posted:

Looking for a recommendation on a drat good lunch box container.

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Something like this perhaps? It's basically a thermos with a set of inner bowls to store different foods in, it's a little expensive but it seems like a pretty good buy for someone in your line of work.

The Zojirushi line is the Rolls-Royce of lunch containers. Note that the traditional Japanese system would be something like soup on the bottom, rice in the middle, and veg on top, although there's plenty of ideas on the Amazon page. Basically (dense thing to maintain temp at bottom) > (middle thing that doesn't mind the same temp) > (thing that can be mostly room temp on top).

Does your office have a coffee machine with a hot water drop? Congrats, you can now make a variety of hot meals, like pack pasta in a zip-lock, warm in hot water bath. Instant oats, and so on.

I assume the 8-11 hours is the total shift and not the time before consuming right? :v: If it's anywhere near that long I would think MRE-style, shelf-stable foods. Look up MRE fanatic websites, or if you can stomach your usual regimen but you just want to spice it up once in a while, peppering your diet with commercial MRE-a-likes a few times a week might even out for cost over the long term.

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013

EVG posted:

I didn't like that the steamer is plastic (used to the metal one I have now) and that it sits inside the cooker, both taking away space from rice cooking if I wanted to make a fuller pot, and also meaning that I need to open it up and bare fingers to steamy death to try to pull out the steamer and retrieve the food.

The best rice cookers make a seal because they use some degree of pressure. Something like the Zoji has lots of bonus features- part of why it takes so long is that rice needs time to presoak. It also has a timer so you can throw in your rice way ahead of time and it'll be ready when you want it. It also won't brown rice on the bottom, thanks to all the gadgetry.

All cheap rice cookers that you can just lay a steamer on top of are sort of repurposed water boilers, the only pressure they build is by having a small hole in the lid that is hopefully not so small that it sputters water everywhere. This makes inferior rice, but it does make rice, and it makes throwing a steamer on top easy.

If you're just trying to eat cheaply, the $20 cooker will do the job as well as anything in the cheap bracket. If you care about flavor, you either want the Zoji+steamer or better, the Zoji and go to your local Asiannery and get bamboo steamer baskets and do it right.

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013

EVG posted:

Yeah, I never make short-grain rice. Was specifically wondering about the Aroma, since I already bought it and have it sitting until I decide to keep it or mail it back. COoks Illustrated generally gives pretty good recommendations.

The Aroma is obviously recommended for providing real-cooker features at a fake-cooker price point. I still use the $20 model and will until I can afford a fuzzy logic unit. Shrug.

Note that cook time on a high-end model is effectively zero. You can throw water and rice in before you leave for work, and have it ready when you return. Or set it to wake you up in the morning with fresh rice. This is meant to cover households where rice is always ready for all meals. A good Zoji for instance will let you set a timer for when to cook then keep your rice warm for like 8 hours after it's cooked, just in case you accidentally go to sleep while it's cooking.

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013

I caved and got a Peugeot pepper grinder. Made an egg and cheese bagel, cracked some fine grind on that bitch.

I wept baguettes.

Disco Salmon posted:

Mine does as well.

The only thing I have noticed, (and I am not sure why it does it), is that occasionally when I open the top it looks like the rice exploded. Tastes fine, looks fine...just... rice all over the inside /shrug

Usually the problem with cheapo cookers is that starchwater builds up and bubbles, which can lead to pissing starchy water all over or etc. Rinsing the rice may help alleviate this issue.

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013

mindphlux posted:

yeah just repair it. in most models there is a single (intentionally) plastic / low duty gear that will strip itself out if you overwork it. the metal/motor parts are fine.

I blew mine out some months ago, did a bit of googling, bought a $4 replacement gear off of amazon, cracked it open and swapped it out. back in action.

you could learn this skill, then open a shop charging people $200 to repair their kitchenaids, and live happily ever after even.

Yeah KitchenAids are really easy to service. I've got an old one where the grease has separated so it needs a full lube job. Seems easy, just have to take the time and get some gloves.

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013

Phummus posted:

I just picked up an Accu-sharp for my dangerously dull blades and it works like a dream. Can't recommend it enough.

http://www.amazon.com/AccuSharp-1-001-Knife-Sharpener/dp/B00004VWKQ

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Don't do this, it ruins your knives.

Maybe an asterisk? Accusharp is a beautiful thing if you need to quickly turn a buch of pocketknives or cheapass steak knives into usable items ASAP. It's also not a bad idea for as said, turning a badly beaten dangerously dull knife into a knife.

But yes, anyone who really loves their chef's knife is going to want to save up for at least the Spyderco dealie ASAP.

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013

Potential thread alert: Is the price on the Victorinox Fibrox seasonal or something because I'm seeing it shooting up to $36-42 depending on the Amazon listing. Maybe pull the trigger on the $25 knife if the Happening meter continues to climb. That's getting a little too close to Tojiro DP money.

Phanatic posted:

This is a pretty detailed guide:

http://forums.egullet.org/topic/26036-knife-maintenance-and-sharpening/

Summary:

1. If you want to learn how to do it from the ground up and don't mind a bit of work, hard to get cheaper than some sandpaper glued to a mousepad.
2. If you don't want to do that, SpyderCo's Sharpmaker is $40 and works really well. All you need to be able to do is hold a knife vertically.
3. If you want to splurge for an electric sharpener, most of them suck rear end, with the exception of a couple ofChef’s Choice models.
4. There's one good pull-through sharpener, the MeyerCo Sharpen-It. But from what I can tell it's no longer manufactured so poo poo.

Maybe a useful video on electric and pull-through sharpeners (America's Test Kitchen):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yif_uMZ-y5k

To be fair, they're talking about high-volume ways to fix up lots of dumb students in a hurry. But their tips are pretty good. Basically, get a sharpener that has deep grips to hold the knife at the proper angle (this is one major reason the Accusharp sucks). Manual, pull-through sharpeners are really only good for touch-ups, electrics (or something that takes a modicum of skill, like the Spyderco or a stone) are the only way to get a "like-factory" job- although that can also be done by the general recommendation to get a professional touch-up when your usual methods aren't cutting it anymore (either from the factory or a local professional, depending on your warranty). But again, this is from a place that may have to sharpen a dozen knives a day and probably can't afford to be sending them back to the factory all the time so keeping an electric grinder running might be brilliant just for those circumstances.

Also: I can get any knife shaving-sharp with the Spyderco in a few minutes, without ever learning anything. I just hold the knife vertically, done. Highly recommended for anyone who's still afraid of a stone. Even though they're not really that scary.

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013

Wow. Checked Amazon:

quote:

Ordered on February 7, 2011

On the plus side: Holy crap this knife has held up well, I need to reevaluate whether it's worth the new price.

On the down side: No seriously that's Tojiro money.

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013

Guitarchitect posted:

is there a good electric spice grinder that isn't plastic-based? every now and then I need to beyond a mortar + pestle and ever since I put cinammon in my el-cheapo, everything seems to come out of it smelling like cinnamon :(

The Krups is king. Between a good washing and grinding some toast/breadcrumbs I haven't had any issues with the resultant spice being too off, then again I mostly use it for Indian so as long as the forty different things all come out awesome and fragrant I don't care.

You may want to just look into a manual mill-type grinder, those are more likely to be all steel, and easier than mortar and pestle for bulk.

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013

antisodachrist posted:

Thermoworks is having a sale on the Thermapen, and in 12 colors this time.

http://www.thermoworks.com/specials/atk-deal-of-the-day.php?tw=ATK

Why the hell didn't I get British Racing Green while it was still in stock?

The hell is wrong with me?

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013

Steve Yun posted:

Because you were sober

Damnable sobriety! You've done it to me again!

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013

The Midniter posted:

Absolutely 100% seconded.

Yup. I have a Peugeot. The finish is (human body part reference) soft. The pepper is amazing.

Set it to finest grind over some eggs? Yes.

I don't like the fill mechanism on the Magnums.

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013

The Midniter posted:

Pssst...if you'll notice, the post I was seconding links to the Magnum :)

They're both fine grinders, so I still agree, but OP recommend is between Magnum and Peugeot. Because of the fill mechanism I prefer Peugeot.

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

My backup plan is to get some cheapo coffee grinder at Ross or something, but I'm holding out hope that someone knows of a product that is great for this use.

Other than a mortar and pestle. I have several and they take forever. They do work, though.

Your backup plan is the correct first plan.

The Krups is really nice though.

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013

Hexigrammus posted:

Welding gloves rule, at least for BBQing. I should probably get a pair just for that; my wife is complaining.

Pedantry but real barbecue doesn't involve tremendous heat so you mean "outdoor grilling such as Murka 4th of Freedom Day". Unless your'e barbecuing with wood, but that's splinter protection not oven mitts. The only excuse for oven mitts is grilling, or working a high-heat station so you're reaching into the fire frequently.

Everybody else should learn to keep dry side towels. It's classy, and you have extra towels.

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013

Steve Yun posted:

There's no universal categorization for small/medium/large, just use the smallest one you got (1.5 should be fine). You're boiling the lentils so as long as they're covered by water you should be fine

What matters is ratio of surface area to volume, you could use any size pan, although you may nee a bit more/less water depending.

Unless you're trying to make whatever the lentil version of perfect sushi rice is, ballparking it is close enough.

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013

Hawgh posted:

Is this http://www.amazon.com/Lodge-L8DD3-Casserole-Skillet-5-Quart/dp/B000LEXR0K/ a sensible pot (and skillet, I suppose) for the purpose?

Cast iron pots are for campfires, so they can be immersed in coals. They are not (generally) for soups or whatever else you might do in a pot.

You do in fact want a cast iron skillet and a dutch oven if you're going that route. But Lodge Logic is a good brand for cast iron.

Hawgh posted:

Is chainmail a sensible thing to buy?

Aer youre peasantse aen revolte ser?

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013

Jumped on a Thermapen as they're closing out teal and I already missed British racing green. I also got the silicone boot, which is just what you'd expect. And the leather holster, which is terrible quality leather, but hey someday I'll be grilling and it'll be a lifesaver. Seems sturdy enough to hold together for a long time but it's going to flake off on the edges in no time.

Free with order was a time stick, which is a little splashproof palm-sized clock and timer gadget with a battery on the back. Seems neat for if I'm cooking and I don't want to get my greasy hands on my smartphone.

But... they included a mini packet of Jelly Belly assorted flavor jelly beans with my order.

Those delicious bastards.

dino. posted:

Re: wedding registry

All good stuff. Personally I'd say heck with the juicer get a Vitamix and do whole fruit, but I like my pulp.

Not like you asked abut as a person of such persuasion, there exist people who really love you who absolutely hate the demand to run out to a store and buy you stuff. If you make it clear that you could really use a gift card to (place) because you need (stuff for the future), you'll make life easier for those people.

Like, "Whoo boy are we going to be going to Home Depot a lot when we redo the kitchen." Lets you feel useful instead of like you're buying someone's affection.

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013

Vitamix chat:

logical fallacy posted:

Get a refurb variable speed or wait for a good Costco pack (if you plan on using, say, the dry container)

100% this. If you just go to the Vitamix site (and you can wait for a sale or coupon) their Standard line will either get you an older model with just pulse/variable, or a newer one that also has smoothie/dessert/soup settings. Either way, it's a badass blender with a great warranty.

e: You guys make me really glad I'm a pancake person.

revdrkevind fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Aug 7, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013

Massive posted:

Been reading some chatter about black/carbon steel pans. Anybody have experience with these? I love my cast iron, but seems like a nice black steel pan could replace it.

Inspired by America's Test Kitcken or coincidence?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-suTmUX4Vbk

me your dad posted:

I'm looking to replace my current saute pan. I have the popular T-fal with the temperature indicator (which never seemed to actually work). The nonstick coating is pretty much roasted, and the pan has a convex surface, meaning all oils will pool to the sides. I'm not a fan of this pan, man.

I'd like something in the same size and I'm willing to pay up to $50.

Get a cheapo one at (local store) because nonsticks will all eventually fail so why spend more?

• Locked thread